• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

Cute Titan!

eK24fyK.gif

From Bungie community page.

awwww, I want a titan plushie now, wit a wittle baby suros

Spoo

Hard Crota will take 5 minutes from a CP. Skolas will be a different proposition this week due to shitty modifiers

I can help you with Crota this week and I'm sure others will with Skolas once the modifiers are better

Awesome! Thanks for the offer I will definitely take you up on it when the time is right!

As for Skolas, right now I just need to focus on running PoE 32 so I can get the chestpiece. I tried getting a group together last night for it, but I'm -- I know I shouldn't be, but I'm *really* self conscious about asking for help from GAFfers when I'm a level under where I need to be. I know in the long run it doesn't matter, but it's just how my brain works and I feel bad any time I ask for help :\

Awesome! Thanks for the offer I will definitely take you up on it when the time is right!

As for Skolas, right now I just need to focus on running PoE 32 so I can get the chestpiece. I tried getting a group together last night for it, but I'm -- I know I shouldn't be, but I'm *really* self conscious about asking for help from GAFfers when I'm a level under where I need to be. I know in the long run it doesn't matter, but it's just how my brain works and I feel bad any time I ask for help :

Running this weeks 32/34 under levelled is a breeze so you won't find any problem getting people to run it with you. Just not me, as I hate the PoE :p

Crota I'll run sword all week, wield the relic at Templar, just not the prison

First weapon out of the Nightfall today?

Gjarllarhorn, of course!

This game is such a troll.

looks like Xur pulled an Atari ET, somehow brought too much stock and then dumped them on the Ketch on his way back to wherever the hell he comes from

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yea with most gaffers it's not a problem. But this goes back to the "1 level higher" dilemma we've talked about in the past. We shouldn't have to play the game with a 67% attack handicap (or do 33% less damage).
But this is circling around a much bigger issue I would vastly prefer addressed: being forced to be at that handicap even when at the progression cap. It barely matters how you got to 34 if the content is at 35. A shorter span to 32 versus getting to 30 was nice, but here you are stuck doing 32 damage against a boss that's level 33. If this has ceased I'll be in favor of the new system regardless.

Nothing is wrong with waiting for weeks, but you're not making any progress on your character if you do activities for those 3 weeks. You're still somewhere between Level 33 and Level 34, and Level 34 enemies will have that 1 level advantage.
Come on, that's an oversimplification. It's not all vertical progression. You're leveling up weapons and earning currency to buy new ones (either upgrades or filling in missing weapon/element combinations), potentially acquiring more exotics to add loadout options to your arsenal, improving your skill and knowledge at the encounters themselves.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As for Skolas, right now I just need to focus on running PoE 32 so I can get the chestpiece. I tried getting a group together last night for it, but I'm -- I know I shouldn't be, but I'm *really* self conscious about asking for help from GAFfers when I'm a level under where I need to be. I know in the long run it doesn't matter, but it's just how my brain works and I feel bad any time I ask for help :\
I'd like to do this for you tonight if you're available... anyone else want to help out?

Let's say 9PM EST if you can do that?

LTWood12

Yea with most gaffers it's not a problem. But this goes back to the "1 level higher" dilemma we've talked about in the past. We shouldn't have to play the game with a 67% attack handicap (or do 33% less damage).

Nothing is wrong with waiting for weeks, but you're not making any progress on your character if you do activities for those 3 weeks. You're still somewhere between Level 33 and Level 34, and Level 34 enemies will have that 1 level advantage. It seems as if there is a great deal of people who just don't enjoy playing like that. See Hard Crota or Skolas.

This new method, I'm guessing, will alleviate that by having more opportunities to be "of level" to play the game on an even playing field. You don't have to worry about Level differences and you have more chances to be able to play the game while not being underleveled.

All I'm saying is, I believe this new system is going to be awesome. We will feel like we're making progress continuously, not bounded by such a small number. At least, I hope.

I don't disagree that the 'one level higher thing' sucks, but there was something a bit different about doing the 34 as a team of 33s. It didn't feel unfair, because we were 'opting-in' to this activity we were under-leveled for, but w/ the knowledge that we'd be on equal ground to the challenge in the weeks to come.

And it depends on how you define progress. For me at least, progress w/ Vanilla, TDB, and HoW initially was 'how many more pieces of light level 30/36/42 level legendaries do I need to hit 30/32/34? It's going after weapons I don't have already in nightfalls, raids, Trials, and even Prison of Elders. Progress is getting enough weapon parts to roll an awesome Her Benevolence. Progress is stepping up to run the sword when everyone else was scared to, and kicking Crota's ass.

It was funny to me how many people I'd see after the first few weeks of HoW that would brag about having all 34s, but their stat rolls were like 0 Int, 0 Disc, 509 Str. I'd roll IB/Trials as a 33 for better stats but for a lot of people it's all about hitting the level and that's it.

I'm rambling now, but you get the point. I understand where you're coming from, and how people see the game this way. It's just not how I view my progress.

But this is circling around a much bigger issue I would vastly prefer addressed: being forced to be at that handicap even when at the progression cap. It barely matters how you got to 34 if the content is at 35. A shorter span to 32 versus getting to 30 was nice, but here you are stuck doing 32 damage against a boss that's level 33. If this has ceased I'll be in favor of the new system regardless.

Come on, that's an oversimplification. It's not all vertical progression. You're leveling up weapons and earning currency to buy new ones (either upgrades or filling in missing weapon/element combinations), potentially acquiring more exotics to add loadout options to your arsenal, improving your skill and knowledge at the encounters themselves.

Oh yea I know. I'm focused on the actual level barrier. Earning new weapons, gear, currency and ranks for sure. But none of that is really helps a person that wants to play an activity that they're 1 level under. I'm hoping the new system helps that part out.

I don't disagree that the 'one level higher thing' sucks, but there was something a bit different about doing the 34 as a team of 33s. It didn't feel unfair, because we were 'opting-in' to this activity we were under-leveled for, but w/ the knowledge that we'd be on equal ground to the challenge in the weeks to come.

And it depends on how you define progress. For me at least, progress w/ Vanilla, TDB, and HoW initially was 'how many more pieces of light level 30/36/42 level legendaries do I need to hit 30/32/34? It's going after weapons I don't have already in nightfalls, raids, Trials, and even Prison of Elders. Progress is getting enough weapon parts to roll an awesome Her Benevolence. Progress is stepping up to run the sword when everyone else was scared to, and kicking Crota's ass.

It was funny to me how many people I'd see after the first few weeks of HoW that would brag about having all 34s, but their stat rolls were like 0 Int, 0 Disc, 509 Str. I'd roll IB/Trials as a 33 for better stats but for a lot of people it's all about hitting the level and that's it.

I'm rambling now, but you get the point. I understand where you're coming from, and how people see the game this way. It's just not how I view my progress.

I'm not speaking for myself, because I didn't level up to L34 right away for that exact same reason for 2 of my characters in the first few weeks of HoW. And of course with 6 characters, I just flat out enjoy the game and this community. I'm just speaking for a few IRL friends that felt this way. Progress to them was not being able to do the activity at the level it was meant for. Because of that, they stopped playing the game. (well along with doing the same things over and over).

Hard Crota, for me, was my darkest time with the game. That was the only time I hated level disadvantages but obviously it was other problems as well.

LTWood12

I'm not speaking for myself, because I didn't level up to L34 right away for that exact same reason for 2 of my characters. And of course with 6 characters, I just flat out enjoy the game and this community. I'm just speaking for a few IRL friends that felt this way. Progress to them was not being able to do the activity at the level it was meant for. Because of that, they stopped playing the game.

I hear ya. I was ready to quit in the Vanilla era after running VoG 7 times and only ever getting gauntlets. That felt punitive to me. But we've come a long way since then.

honestly I dont see the difference in practice of the old light level system and the new one. the goal is to hit the cap, Im assuming there is going to be a light level cap just like before.

the only difference is you can see some level of progress as you get their. seems like smoke and mirrors to me. the level grind to 40 is akin to "keep going, your doing great!" kind of like the earl grind of 20-24. each new rare piece that had that 1 extra light on it.

dont mean to sounds negetive just trying to wrap my brain around this

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Thanks for NF guys.

Anybody up for DS/Crota x3?

Super Golden Gun and Horn x2 = Taniks dead in a second literally

Spoo

I'd like to do this for you tonight if you're available... anyone else want to help out?

Let's say 9PM EST if you can do that?

For you Hawkian? I'm always available -- if it weren't for you and a certain 10 year old, I'd have never made it through Crotas End :D

LTWood12

honestly I dont see the difference in practice of the old light level system and the new one. the goal is to hit the cap, Im assuming there is going to be a light level cap just like before.

the only difference is you can see some level of progress as you get their. seems like smoke and mirrors to me. the level grind to 40 is akin to "keep going, your doing great!" kind of like the earl grind of 20-24. each new rare piece that had that 1 extra light on it.

dont mean to sounds negetive just trying to wrap my brain around this

Now it'll be like any other RPG. You wouldn't go into a high level activity in Diablo w/ shit gear just because you're a level 70. This just makes it much easier for people trying to get into the game to wrap their head around.

macewank

I'm not speaking for myself, because I didn't level up to L34 right away for that exact same reason for 2 of my characters in the first few weeks of HoW. And of course with 6 characters, I just flat out enjoy the game and this community. I'm just speaking for a few IRL friends that felt this way. Progress to them was not being able to do the activity at the level it was meant for. Because of that, they stopped playing the game. (well along with doing the same things over and over)

But they were doing the activity at the level it was intended for. I don't understand this line of thinking at all.

Crota's End HM was tuned for a group of level 32's to beat it. Lots of groups of level 32 guardians beat it. It wasn't hard once you got through the mechanics. Don't look at the 33.. Look at the tuning. The 33 just tells you what level the enemies are.

Skolas is tuned for groups of 34 to beat him. Lots do. He isn't profoundly difficult, and on some weeks with certain modifiers, he's actually pretty easy. The reason more groups don't run him consistently is because Prison of Elders has a weird ass time/loot ratio and in the mind of a lot of folks, the stuff Skolas drops isn't really any better than the gear they got out of VoG/CE already.

Top Bottom