• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalamari

Midi takes like 5 hits to kill someone.

I don't even know what weapon to use anymore. I have to work a lot harder to get kills while people dont really have to aim and just shoot in my general direction and kill me in like two hits.

I wouldn't be too concerned, in a few days we will have a whole bunch of new weapons to choose from. Hopefully some of them are good.

Afrocious

I had a really disheartening encounter with the clan I'd been a part of/playing with pretty regularly. There are (were) 6 of us - now, there are five of them.

I removed myself (from clan and FL), a few minutes ago and just can't see myself playing with them, which breaks my heart. Here's the deal:

I'm a pretty frequent GAF poster (used to be more so, still), and I decided (by virtue of feeling, maybe idiotically) that GAF is full of open minded and welcoming gamers. A couple of people in the clan are GAF'ers, which made me feel a little bit more comfortable.

I won't air the experience I had with one of the Clanmate GAF members (respect), but ultimately, I was let down - by his response, to a sensitive topic. I know, I guess I'm ignorant that GAF is still the Internet, and all that.

Not to mince words:

I decided, I liked playing with this group of people so much, I felt comfortable enough - telling them that I am gay. I opened up to the GAF member in the clan first, let down by that. Later, I decided to open up to the other pair (non GAF), figuring - they'll either be welcoming - or not.

I probably should t have, because the female in the clan turned very unsavory and spewed all of her hateful beliefs - which really broke my heart.

Mind you, I'm out in person to people and my family - have never been turned away or had a terrible (to my face) experience - that I can remember. It's a sensitive subject, especially between virtual internet strangers - but after hearing some epitaphs slurred in crucible, prior to coming out - I needed to clear the air. I needed to be me, so they could see the wonderful person that just wanted to be themselves and shoot the shit.

I feel a bit lost, at the moment. My partner, who I told is let down, I'm let down.

Look, if there are any cool people that wouldn't mind a gaymer in their midst - shoot me a friend request, or a clan invite. I'd be thrilled, right now I want to cry.

Pacificsun0481

Sorry to air all of that :(

Btw: REEDUCATOR is a stand up guy, not part of the clan - but a Gaffer I'd told prior, really cool - gives me some hope.

Dafuq

Add me. PSN Afrodeeziyak. i was actually thinking about how I've not encountered racism in this game yet and how relieved I am about it. Fuck intolerant and ignorant people.

Just sent you a FR

Yeah I did (well, 80 in Canada), and I can boot the game up, but how do I know I have the Dlc? Or is it automatically downloaded and installed?

Also, it still says the taken king is 39.99 on psn and doesn't say anywhere that it was downloaded.

Go to Library, click on Destiny. It should show you all the add-ons you have available. Download / activate whichever one is not already activated. TTK should be showing you a countdown timer.

What if its some bullshit like how final fantasy 14 expansion was for sell on psn and it was bundled with the main game, but you had to wait for the expansion to release before the you could download the main game?

No, it doesn't work like that. Base game and both expansions are playable straight away, I know many players who have bought the CE or LE and have been playing all week.

Midi takes like 5 hits to kill someone.

I don't even know what weapon to use anymore. I have to work a lot harder to get kills while people dont really have to aim and just shoot in my general direction and kill me in like two hits.

Mida is still good for larger maps, but you'll have better luck on smaller maps with PR's and AR's.

Bad Juju, Red Death and Timepiece are amazing. I got killed a lot by spare change .25, that thing is a laser.

Monte Carlo for bigger maps, Hard Light for smaller ones.

Namikaze1

I had a really disheartening encounter with the clan I'd been a part of/playing with pretty regularly. There are (were) 6 of us - now, there are five of them.

I removed myself (from clan and FL), a few minutes ago and just can't see myself playing with them, which breaks my heart. Here's the deal:

I'm a pretty frequent GAF poster (used to be more so, still), and I decided (by virtue of feeling, maybe idiotically) that GAF is full of open minded and welcoming gamers. A couple of people in the clan are GAF'ers, which made me feel a little bit more comfortable.

I won't air the experience I had with one of the Clanmate GAF members (respect), but ultimately, I was let down - by his response, to a sensitive topic. I know, I guess I'm ignorant that GAF is still the Internet, and all that.

Not to mince words:

I decided, I liked playing with this group of people so much, I felt comfortable enough - telling them that I am gay. I opened up to the GAF member in the clan first, let down by that. Later, I decided to open up to the other pair (non GAF), figuring - they'll either be welcoming - or not.

I probably should t have, because the female in the clan turned very unsavory and spewed all of her hateful beliefs - which really broke my heart.

Mind you, I'm out in person to people and my family - have never been turned away or had a terrible (to my face) experience - that I can remember. It's a sensitive subject, especially between virtual internet strangers - but after hearing some epitaphs slurred in crucible, prior to coming out - I needed to clear the air. I needed to be me, so they could see the wonderful person that just wanted to be themselves and shoot the shit.

I feel a bit lost, at the moment. My partner, who I told is let down, I'm let down.

Look, if there are any cool people that wouldn't mind a gaymer in their midst - shoot me a friend request, or a clan invite. I'd be thrilled, right now I want to cry.

Pacificsun0481

Btw: REEDUCATOR is a stand up guy, not part of the clan - but a Gaffer I'd told prior, really cool - gives me some hope.
That's fucked up what they did. Fuck them.

My PSN is namikaze1. I do all kinds of things: raid, story, strikes, crucible, you name it. I'm up for them.

shem935

Banned

Not to mince words:

Pacificsun0481

Hey man I am part of that group haven't been on in about a week and you being gay is new to me. I wasn't there for this conversation and I wish I had been. You have my support and if we have to two man the taken king I would do it. You will always have a place on my fireteam.

I needed to see humanity, you've shown it in spades.

I sincerely appreciate all of the good people willing to welcome.

I'm pretty chill. Just a regular joe, ya know?

If you see me on (I play Desriny a lot), It'd be an honor to accept the warm company, you all have extended.

I'm going to apologize ahead of time for anyone that might play with me in the future, because I'm probably going to be yelling with all the unlimited power i'll have come Tuesday.

th3dude

Whoever created the DestinyGAF group chat on PSN, pls don't.

Fucking thedude blowing up my shit

Yea. I'm really sorry about that. I'm on beta 3.0 and it has a feature (or so I thought) to put your friends in 'favorite' groups. Thought it would be nice to put all my GAF friends in one group.

Had no fucking clue that PSN would notify all 50 people and start a group chat. I'm really sorry.

Feel like an idiot.

Namikaze1

I'm going to apologize ahead of time for anyone that might play with me in the future, because I'm probably going to be yelling with all the unlimited power i'll have come Tuesday.
Every time I go super with my Sunbreaker Titan, I'm gonna be yelling "It's hammer time!"

Every. Single. Time.

DNAbro

Yea. I'm really sorry about that. I'm on beta 3.0 and it has a feature (or so I thought) to put your friends in 'favorite' groups. Thought it would be nice to put all my GAF friends in one group.

Had no fucking clue that PSN would notify all 50 people and start a group chat. I'm really sorry.

Feel like an idiot.

lol dude it's okay. I didn't know psn could do that either.

Feel like an idiot.

Lol man, its all good. Its only a couple of notifications.

Also drizzay and hawkian are you guys having trouble at Skolas? Feels like i have been watching you two in Skolas Revenge forever.

pixxxelz

Feel like an idiot.
All good, i had a good laugh 😁

deafmedal

Feel like an idiot.

That's what I figured, peeps ought naught be annoyed, no biggie :) I thought it was funny! You bounced quick 0_o lol! I'm never leaving!

Namikaze1

It was Avengers, Thor to Cap.

Internet Cookies plz.
2ea0aafc-2942-4134-947f-847c043411ae.jpg

Have your cookies.

Not to mince words:

Pacificsun0481

Fuck those people add me PSN Parenegade. I pretty much only PvP though I'm trying to change that.

Random discussion time.

I want to attempt to explain my reasoning behind my Bladedancer comment earlier. I will preface by saying that I am biased.

Part of what makes Destiny enjoyable to me is the ability to make "big plays" in the Crucible. It's exciting to come out of unwinnable scenarios and it adds replay value to me through sharing it with others. So when I look at the other classes, I view them through the lens of "will they allow me to do interesting stuff in the Crucible?" And frankly, the more I think about it, the closer that answer reaches to "No".

In my opinion, there are really only 3 interesting classes in the game:

The Gunslinger
The Nightstalker
The Striker

And by interesting, i'm referring to their ability to pull off skillful plays that are both rewarding to the player and satisfying to a viewer.

The whole philosophy behind the classes is to make the player feel empowered. I'd say most of us like seeing "cool stuff" happen, whether it's getting out of an impossible situation, maneuvering around the environment to outsmart an opponent, or using the tools in our arsenals to outplay them. When you pull off incredible feats, it makes you feel powerful. When you pull off a skillful feat, it makes you feel good about your abilities. Perhaps just as importantly, it's also entertaining from a viewer's perspective.

Bladedancer, Defender, Sunbreaker, Voidwalker, Sunsinger and the Stormcaller aren't that interesting to me because their abilities don't have that "wow" factor. Blink + blink strike? I find it cheap and lacking in skill. The rest of the classes have some kind of overshield or ridiculous melee range, or cheap grenades like Firebolt, Arcbolt and homing sticky grenades. They're too easy to use and i'm not impressed by it. Furthermore, their arsenal is limited to situational "one tricks" where the strength of their ability wins out moreso than the skill of the player.

But the 3 aforemented classes are an exception. The Gunslinger is a class that is outmatched in almost every way until it pops its super. Therefore, it relies on the skill of the player to bring out the best in its abilities. The reason a throwing knife kill is rewarding to get and satisfying to watch is because it isn't easy to pull off in a given scenario. Any other class melee is either "cheesy" by granting them CQB advantages, or is just a plain melee; on the other hand, almost every knife kill is worth celebrating.

We haven't played the Nightstalker yet, but they have a similar breadth of abilities at their disposal. They can throw smoke and roll behind an enemy to get the drop on them, and that is interesting to watch because there is an involved thought process behind it. (Of course, I don't anticipate it being difficult to pull off and I imagine the class will be abused in Crucible for a while, but i digress).

And lastly, there's the Striker. Everybody knows about AEGabriel and how he makes the Titan look like fun to play. And in many ways it is. You have a shoulder charge and a fast movement, which makes for interesting maneuvers. Your grenades are also important for making those big plays, and the super can pull off some incredible kills, especially when aimed from above.

The reason I'm making this post however is because the delta between the Gunslinger and the Striker is so wide as far as what I personally can get out of the class.

For example, if I encounter a player who is rushing me with a shotgun, as a Gunslinger I am usually able to challenge that with a Hand Cannon and Throwing Knife. Again, it is rewarding to pull off and fun for people to watch. A Nightstalker might try a similar play with Smokebomb + Roll to get around them, and that's exciting because of the timing required.

As a Strike Titan however, my options are more limited: I can try to boost away to reposition myself, or I can try to slide into a shoulder charge to throw them off guard. Most likely, a Titan in that scenario would have a Shotgun as well and contest it that way.

And when it comes to the other classes, I don't see them doing it much different either. Of course, you can still power through the game with raw skill and kill the player without using abilities, but when it comes to making those plays, everything comes full circle.

I may be struggling to articulate the exact feeling I'm trying to describe. It isn't necessary saying that Gunslingers are better than Strikers or the other classes. Rather, I feel as though as a Gunslinger I have more opportunities to pull off interesting kills in interesting scenarios, and that makes it more rewarding. Obviously you can still do interesting things as the other classes (Death from Above Fist of Havoc is probably the coolest super in the game), but to me they're much easier and therefore less rewarding. I'm not fascinated by players who win CQB encounters with Blink + Blink Strike. Popping a Bubble and watching everyone run into it is funny, but doesn't happen in a competitive setting. Throwing a Nova bomb onto a Control point is satisfying to accomplish, but is a bit pedestrian.

On the other hand, back to back knife kills and spinning around to pop another player in the head before sliding into 3 golden guns? That shit's dope. It isn't limited by the situation and it isn't hiding behind invincibility frames. It's just pure, unadulterated badassery.

It's why I chose that song for that video. When I play Gunslinger, I'm a goddamn Cowboy. And cowboys rounding up a bunch of super heroes makes for good entertainment.

Hey! See you on the flip side! Unfortunately my travel got shifted and I'll be gone from the 24th to October 12th, I'll probably hit up the story and such but I'm not sure if I'll get to raid until I get back. Unfortunately you probably won't be raid ready by the time I leave if you are staying the 22nd. If we end up not trying the raid and I take my PS4 with me I'll let you know. We have 4 and only need two more and would be willing to wait if we had a set date/time. There's a good chance I'll be able to raid on the 27th from my hotel but that'll be my only day off.

No worries man. I know I'm probably the only one here that won't get to play it for a whole week so I'll probably go at everything solo dolo when I get back. Or I'll go on reddit or something to try to find people who haven't done anything yet. I know LT is only going to miss the first few days. There's no other experience quite like going at everything so new together.

Frenden

Banned
I had two perfect Hopscotch rolls pre-nerf and resorted to rerolling two Spare Change rolls today. No Messenger here. Boo.

Spare Change #1 (Leveled and used.)

• Sureshot (Fav. PR sight for the added AA)
  • Third Eye
  • Small Bore
  • Counterbalance (Almost a must, fixes the weird up and to the left recoil)

Spare Change #2 (Untested, unleveled.)
  • Third Eye
  • Braced
  • Hidden Hand

Spare Change #1's stability was subpar compared to the Messenger and Hopscotch. I find Counterbalance super helpful, but Small Bore isn't enough of a boost to stability for this gun. I'll reroll to get Handlaid or Braced. Normally Braced would be better than Handlaid, but Spare Change has a shit-ton of range, so losing some is NABD. Either of those two should work, but Small Bore just doesn't give enough of a boost.

Roll #1--not bad, but needs stability. Counterbalance is the savior of this roll.

Spare Change #2 is still getting XP dumped into it. It has what I would consider a god roll on a Hopscotch, but I'm afraid the weird recoil pattern is going to suck even with the super-high stability from Braced.

Roll #2--if Braced isn't enough to compensate for the weird recoil pattern, I think the perfect roll on a Spare Change might be, for me, Handlaid or Braced and Counterbalance for the second and third perks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom