• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsosie

I have to say that I am really happy with the new loot system. Every engram I find seems to be equal light level or above what I am wearing. This feels so right.

Phew half a day grind and I'm at 274 Light with my sword at 281, not too bad but what a grind. The heroic strikes are such a challenge, now at 3/10 for the Dead Orbit faction quest.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
He will use strange coins like always. Nothing changed. I was just joking. The marks reminds me of strange coins back then when Destiny launched.
Oooh, I get it.

Hah that's actually probably a pretty good comparison. I think people are feeling actual scarcity again for the first time since a few months after launch and it's a little jarring. But the prevailing advice seems to be "just keep going" and avenues of progress will come.
I have to say that I am really happy with the new loot system. Every engram I find seems to be equal light level or above what I am wearing. This feels so right.

edit: see above^

Shito

Gosh, that weaponsmith quest!
The step 2 asks me to
dismantle 10 rare or legendary sniper rifles
He's back with a vengeance...

So max Attack and Defense is 300?

Can you ever raise a weapon or armor to 300 if it was not there originally or is the best you can hope for is 299?

SpecX

Didn't get to post too much yesterday, but bravo Bungie on a job well done. This was a great experience and I cant get enough.

That Crota crystal mission had my heart pounding and the feelings from returning to the CE section and going stealth mode. What I didn't get is if Eris has that teleportation ability, why didn't she use it to leave the temple? Also, that ending, who was Eris talking to and what's her true agenda?

I still need to do one more run with my Warlock, but I think I'll save her for when my friends get on and run it together with them. I was able to run through with my Hunter and Titan, but my Warlock is weakling and won't survive most of the story mode.

Deku Tree

So max Attack and Defense is 300?

Can you ever raise a weapon or armor to 300 if it was not there originally or is the best you can hope for is 299?

Laced Up Lauren was using a 310 attack exotic sword on the Bungie Twitch stream. 300 seems to be the max attack you can reach at the moment as best as I can tell though.

I tried that quest, couldn't finish a single strike.

Yes they're pretty hard because the recommended light level is 260 iirc. I barely survived my first one (the big shank) when I was light level 255. One shot took away ~90% of my health. After that we got Taniks which was doable and the one in the Echo Chamber. Only 7 more to go for an exotic hunter cloak...

You could like not grind and enjoy the new content..

Did I say anywhere that I didn't enjoy the new content?

j-wood

Didn't get to post too much yesterday, but bravo Bungie on a job well done. This was a great experience and I cant get enough.

That Crota crystal mission had my heart pounding and the feelings from returning to the CE section and going stealth mode. What I didn't get is if Eris has that teleportation ability, why didn't she use it to leave the temple? Also, that ending, who was Eris talking to and what's her true agenda?

I still need to do one more run with my Warlock, but I think I'll save her for when my friends get on and run it together with them. I was able to run through with my Hunter and Titan, but my Warlock is weakling and won't survive most of the story mode.

I think she was talking to the queen. There is definitely more to this story, remember in the opening cutscene the queen ended with something like this was all according to plan. I feel like Eris is trying to return to normal.

This last word bounty is the most frustrating and confusing shit. How the hell is this scored? Clawed my way up to 63%, get a four kill streak, die, down to 61%. Do deaths turn into -5% or something after a certain point? Just not understanding why I'm losing progress in some of these rounds. For example, lost 5% in a round I had a 2.7 kdr.

What were your steps?
I got
headshots / ressources gathered / enemies defeated
Gave me the regular rewards for a regular patrol mission, plus 3 coins. Not too crazy, but a nice change of pace. ^^

Oh nice, so they're different per instance or something like that

I got head shots, kill enemies, and my last one was to dance...

The thrust of weyards post is that gaining marks as quickly as Year 1 isn't the point anymore- progression is no longer balanced around repeating a playlist to hit a mark threshold and purchase a bulk upgrade all at once but rather slowly and consistently raising your Light over time on a smoother curve by playing what you want to play with your current best gear equipped, and supplementing this progress (or specializing, further down the line) with marks every so often.

It'll definitely take some getting used to for veterans and I'm sure it's not a galloping shock to anyone that it doesn't seem to really be expressed clearly via in-game explanation, but I'm reserving judgment for now and leaning toward thinking it is an improvement all-around.

I won't say I played for 17 hours yesterday... But... Yeah...

Anyway, after a lot of time spent with the game, I completely agree with you.

Game overall is such a major improvement in my opinion. I'm sure not everyone will be happy but that's just the way things work. But between the story/lore, quests, gameplay mechanics, and progression system... Damn. Well done.

Ps: on legendary marks: exactly right again, forget buying things with marks until later. It's so much more fun (and efficient) to work on getting different drops and then deciding what should be infused or dismantled or kept around. Enjoy the game, progression will come... trust me, I'm a scientist.

Phew half a day grind and I'm at 274 Light with my sword at 281, not too bad but what a grind. The heroic strikes are such a challenge, now at 3/10 for the Dead Orbit faction quest.

I tried that quest, couldn't finish a single strike.
I wish I did the DO quest last week. It's much tougher to do now.

I'm only at 2/10 because I forgot the equip my DO class item at the end for one of them.

It sucks having to use my old one because it's only 140 defense and brings your light level way down.

Sullichin

This last word bounty is the most frustrating and confusing shit. How the hell is this scored? Clawed my way up to 63%, get a four kill streak, die, down to 61%. Do deaths turn into -5% or something after a certain point? Just not understanding why I'm losing progress in some of these rounds. For example, lost 5% in a round I had a 2.7 kdr.

Think it's 1% for a kill, +1% for every kill over 3 in a streak (something like that). -2% for a death. So you have to get a few good streaks. I was at 93% and dropped down to 75% which was frustrating but I got it the next game with a couple of killing sprees.

Kills don't have to be with TLW, it just needs to be equipped

R0ckman

Definitely an improvement to the game, enjoyed playing story.

Not sure I understand the ending though...
Did Oryx "Take" himself?

The enemies I don't feel are a cheap palette swap either, definitely have to fight them differently. And the fact that they multiply on top of being factory based adds in boss fights means you always have to stay on your toes, sometimes it's really annoying.

matmanx1

Annnd Credits. I did it. Bloodborne down. Now I can dive into this tomorrow with a clear conscience.

It's a masterpiece if you were wondering.

Yes, yes it is. My one and only Platinum trophy and it was oh so worth it!

In other news I just got the Dead Orbit Omolon Scout Rifle SR4. It looks fantastic and sounds even better than it looks. Is it possible to experience love at first pull (of the trigger)? If so, I think I know what that feels like!

shermas

The scout rifle.

By the way, am I stuck with this Armsday order package in my inventory now? I can't put it into the vault. Do I have to wait until next week to redeem it?

I think I read that you have to keep the order in your inventory for the whole week...

I need to empty out my vault. I have a bunch of queen's guns and HoW scrub purples taking up too much room in there.

has anyone else noticed the the Sunsinger's grenades to be buffed in PvE and Voidwalker's Axion Bolt in PvE with bloom?

is there any notes and changes to grenades or AoE type grenades?

Homeboyd

The scout rifle.

By the way, am I stuck with this Armsday order package in my inventory now? I can't put it into the vault. Do I have to wait until next week to redeem it?
Yep.

For those of you ordering 2 guns from the gunsmith, you will have to sacrifice 2 slots in your inventory for the entire week until you pick them up. So you know.. prepare for that.

I think I read that you have to keep the order in your inventory for the whole week...

I need to empty out my vault. I have a bunch of queen's guns and HoW scrub purples taking up too much room in there.

Well that doesn't make sense at all. Yeah, I'm going through right now and sharding a bunch of crap from my vault. My greatest fear now is that Bungie lets us infuse Year 1 guns in a future DLC LOL.

Can you pick a weapon on multiple characters for Armsday if you have the rank? I went with the fusion rifle since I loved the Omolon test weapon from week 1.

Ulgh. So sad they made class items have stats. Now I gotta wear the highest light one I have, even if it has crap perk and looks awful.

They really need to have infusion like do wholesale overwrites on class items.

At least I can still put on shaders I want.

I wish I did the DO quest last week. It's much tougher to do now.

I'm only at 2/10 because I forgot the equip my DO class item at the end for one of them.

It sucks having to use my old one because it's only 140 defense and brings your light level way down.

Yeah I know, I wasn't at rank 25 at that time :(
Luckily I got a 255 Light DO cloak from a package, so I don't drop too much.
The heroic strikes are pretty hard now, but running around with swords make it a lot of fun as well.

Yes, yes it is. My one and only Platinum trophy and it was oh so worth it!

In other news I just got the Dead Orbit Omolon Scout Rifle SR4. It looks fantastic and sounds even better than it looks. Is it possible to experience love at first pull (of the trigger)? If so, I think I know what that feels like!

The Hung Jury SR4 is my baby and decided to keep on upgrading it (now at 278) together with the 1000-Yard Stare sniper rifle.
The scout rifle is amazing from the looks to sound and shooting.

Tjamato88

Also am I the only one who doesn't really like the Nightstalker super? It's cool looking but I kinda think it's hard to aim. I always end up missing haha.

Arrrammis

Hmm, guys, did you get this?

R0XLdlz.jpg

The mission was forced onto me (didn't activate any patrol beam manually).
This step was about doing headshots, now I have a "second challenge"...

I really like these, they're randomized every time and you have to decipher them by doing what it says. Pretty great.

Here's the possible actions I've seen so far:
Kill enemies, Kill enemies with headshots, generate orbs, kill a specific race, melee kills, collect materials, point, dance

By the way, having a hunter and warlock super at the same time is super OP in PvE. Lightning chains through enemies and shadowshot also chains the damage from the lightning around, so basically the damage increases almost exponentially based on how many enemies you can hit!

So, question...

I thought your power didn't really matter in normal crucible play.

But last night, I was going for some melee kills with my void warlock for quest completion. I would use a fully charged melee attack on people and it would barely tickle them. In cases where we would both melee each other with full health, I would die, and while in death screen, could see that my melee attack barely did any damage to the other player at all.

Why is my melee attack completely worthless, and everyone else's a one hit kill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom