• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT33| Hey Luke, What's the Theme for King's Fall? (Unmarked Spoilers)

Don't you guys ever bunny hop? Holding down X absolutely does give you a height increase. On my titan I like to bunny hop though, do a small jump and press X again fast to cancel the jump and initiate boosters and thus be able to speed platform.

nOoblet16

Well sure it can tell if button is held down or not, proven by e.g. picking up nodes of materials. Doesn't mean that button state has more values than 0 or 1, if button actually responded to different pressure states then there would be a lot independent states between 0 and 1. Think DS4 triggers, when using Hand Cannon you can slowly pull trigger making hammer of the gun pull back slowly meaning those are "pressure sensitive triggers". R1/L1 are also 0/1 state triggers.
I know what pressure sensitive buttons do but what's your point?
Your argument was that holding the jump button won't do anything because of how the controller works and you came up with your reasoning about the states which is an unnecessary and not to mention completely unrelated point. If that wasn't your original argument then I am not sure why you would even bring it up in response to that guy's comment.

Second part I have never noticed. Just loaded into patrol to check and holding does give some extra height, not much but 10-15%? I'm on my warlock atm so can't do proper testing when using holding as possible help for hunter jumping, but at least for warlock glide whole holding jump down thing seems useless. Also I have done KF jumping parts as hunter couple times now, never knew about or used holding X as help :b

Also if jumping button didn't return value to 0 after initiating jump you would keep jumping up and down 24/7 on the ground when holding X down.
It doesn't matter if it's not much, the fact is there is a difference and that difference translates directly for a hunter into a sizeable improvement because it affects all subsequent jumps. And we are specifically talking about jumps here...not glide or thrusts, they are different things.

People who have played hundreds of hours of Destiny and main a hunter but still don't know that holding jump gives you a higher height should just stop playing hunter :p

Now I know why so many people have issues getting to places with the hunter jump.

I hold it, but if GutZ says that it doesn't need to be held... I believe it. He can get to places that I couldn't imagine reaching.

Tovarisc

Don't you guys ever bunny hop? Holding down X absolutely does give you a height increase. On my titan I like to bunny hop though, do a small jump and press X again fast to cancel the jump and initiate boosters and thus be able to speed platform.

Holding down X and quickly tapping X are two quite different things. Quick tapping doesn't give you added height and as Titan it just gives you infinite speed. For warlock you need do sets of 2 quick taps and stay close to the ground, to get most out of Focused Burst.

GorillaJu

16/25 crucible sword kills. Come onnnnn

I got about 10 in one rumble by abandoning any pretense of trying to win or keep a good KDR and just went ham with the hilt, not even trying for the heavy ammo. Just go around looking for a two people fighting and it's often possible to finish off the lower one with a hilt bash. With luck you can just charge someone and slap them twice with it while they fumble around trying to hit you.

Holding down X and quickly tapping X are two quite different things. Quick tapping doesn't give you added height and as Titan it just gives you infinite speed. For warlock you need do sets of 2 quick taps and stay close to the ground, to get most out of Focused Burst.

Either way I can bunny hop with my titan withoit reaching full height, with or without booster.

Alucrid

Banned
do you not have to do crucible sword kills for the second exotic sword on the same character? it just skipped to the planetary materials and arc kills for me.

nOoblet16

I hold it, but if GutZ says that it doesn't need to be held... I believe it. He can get to places that I couldn't imagine reaching.

There is not a single place in the game that a Titan/Warlock can get to but I can't...I know my jump :p

You need two quick taps to get the most height out of any of the thrusts/glide...this is another thing most people do not realise and a reason why they fail at jumps quite often...especially with a warlock. I can document this all on a video but I can't really be arsed to do something that most can just check on their own.

Born2Live

To complete multiple exotic sword quests do I just need to transfer both swords to my main who has already completed the quest, infuse them to 280 then upgrade. Then I need to visit Shaxx to get the quest. If I'm doing two swords will he have two separate quests or just the one?

Ty

Deku Tree

To complete multiple exotic sword quests do I just need to transfer both swords to my main who has already completed the quest, infuse them to 280 then upgrade. Then I need to visit Shaxx to get the quest. If I'm doing two swords will he have two separate quests or just the one?

Ty

Yes, two separate.

do you not have to do crucible sword kills for the second exotic sword on the same character? it just skipped to the planetary materials and arc kills for me.

Yeah. You just gotta move the upgraded legendary swords onto a character that's already done the kills part. Pretty convenient. The true hell is unskippable though

Could somebody please explain to me the deal with agonarch runes right now? Is everyone locked out for the time being or is it just if you charged it by switching between characters or tagging along with someone that already had it charged. If so then I guess I'll have to wait even longer to charge mine.

noomi

For hunter jumping I hold x and then press it again at the peak of my jump for the best distance/height.

Whats that? Is there some new info on the story that iv missed?

It's a hidden exotic weapon that no-one knows how to obtain yet.

For hunter jumping I hold x and then press it again at the peak of my jump for the best distance/height.

>2015
>Jumping with X

star-trek-mind-blown.gif

I got about 10 in one rumble by abandoning any pretense of trying to win or keep a good KDR and just went ham with the hilt, not even trying for the heavy ammo. Just go around looking for a two people fighting and it's often possible to finish off the lower one with a hilt bash. With luck you can just charge someone and slap them twice with it while they fumble around trying to hit you.

I've been playing control. Finding it easier to get the heavy. I was terrible with the hilt.

Just managed to go from 16/25 to finishing it in one match though. Either I had a good game or everyone was terrible.

Tovarisc

I know what pressure sensitive buttons do but what's your point?
Your argument was that holding the jump button won't do anything because of how the controller works and you came up with your reasoning about the states which is an unnecessary and not to mention completely unrelated point. If that wasn't your original argument then I am not sure why you would even bring it up in response to that guy's comment.

It doesn't matter if it's not much, the fact is there is a difference and that difference translates directly for a hunter into a sizeable improvement because it affects all subsequent jumps. And we are specifically talking about jumps here...not glide or thrusts, they are different things.

That reply was to you tho. You brought up pressure sensitive buttons and implications that I don't know that DS4/PS4 can detect if button is held down or not.

Also reasoning and logic behind my original response was based on how I, at personal level, have witnessed jumping to work on all three classes. There has never been case for me where I have needed to hold down X in hopes it does something that game never told me that it does. Maybe it's blind luck that I have never encountered need for that extra 10-15% with hunter, and managed to do all required jumping by just timing my jumps. Hence me thinking that holding X does jackshit and is unneccassry thing on all classes.

Now I know that holding X actually does something for you.

You need two quick taps to get the most height out of any of the thrusts/glide...this is another thing most people do not realise and a reason why they fail at jumps quite often...especially with a warlock. I can document this all on a video but I can't really be arsed to do something that most can just check on their own.

Yeah, I'm fine with jumping with all three classes. Puzzling or just wanting some momentum when doing transition runs in patrol/strikes. Just never found any reason nor benefit from holding X down, but things you learn and now I know that holding X actually has effect.

Anybody have the checkpoint with the ship section of the raid? I want to test holding X with my hunter to see if I'll make the jump. Hook a brother up, KeanBurke

Afrocious

destiny-controller-06.jpg

Looks none too intuitive. Only advantage I see of it is aiming while jumping, I guess for quick headshots or something. But that's way too sweaty for me and I like my deodorant *shrug*

I might give it a try.

nOoblet16

Most FPS games use sticks for Melee.

destiny-controller-06.jpg

Looks none too intuitive. Only advantage I see of it is aiming while jumping, I guess for quick headshots or something. But that's way too sweaty for me and I like my deodorant *shrug*

I might give it a try.

That's a big advantage and it's not the only advantage you have...it allows you to move quickly and very smoothly since you can turn and jump at the same time. It also helps you strafe and avoid fire easily since a jump can be made quickly.

Using a SCUF with jumper controls means you can jump, crouch/slide, activate super and melee without EVER take your thumbs off the sticks...there by allowing you complete control of your camera at all times, even during the process of using those aforementioned abilities.

E92 M3

Hey DestinyGAF, it's my birthday today! The old, old age of 21.

One of my flatmates, who also plays Destiny, has gifted me £15 in PlayStation funds for the specific purpose of the emotes coming out on Tuesday. So I guess my guardian will be dancing better than I can!

Happy Birthday and get ready to dance!

Afrocious

That's a big advantage and it's not the only advantage you have...it allows you to move quickly and very smoothly since you can turn and jump at the same time. It also helps you strafe and avoid fire easily since a jump can be made quickly.

That's right? Sounds like that would make skating as a titan more maneuverable unless I'm mistaken.

Tovarisc

Ugh relic iron for the exotic sword quest. I've always struggled to find relic on patrol. This could take a very long time.

I just did long loop from Barrens to Scablands to The Buried City to The Hollows to Barren to... Maybe not most optimal route, but doing that long loop and checking each area with relic iron detecting ghost kept giving me nodes from left and right.

Afrocious

If it wasn't for the Souls games, I would have a hard time using the R buttons for sword slashes. Using R3 for swords is off to me. Aerial Raves are important.

EDIT: It's obvious I haven't played Destiny in a day. Fuck fuck fuck

E92 M3

I think Bungie's mistake with infusion is that trying new weapons is a hassle because everything needs to brought up to par. I'd like to see them promote unique loadouts. So far, etheric light did it best imo.

Top Bottom