• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The suggestion of separating PVE and PVP in itemisation is something that's up to Bungie to best implement.

Look at The Last Word for example. 100% a PVP weapon which was grade A garbage in PVE.

Now imagine if they could have made it extremely potent in PVE too without rocking its performance in PVP as well? They need to be working towards that solution.

Your perk suggestion is one of many ways they can execute a solution to fix what most of us agree on is a long-term problem with Destiny.

I would love this.

Guns with two sets of perks. Heck, armor too.

The suggestion of separating PVE and PVP in itemisation is something that's up to Bungie to best implement.

Look at The Last Word for example. 100% a PVP weapon which was grade A garbage in PVE.

Now imagine if they could have made it extremely potent in PVE too without rocking its performance in PVP as well? They need to be working towards that solution.

Your perk suggestion is one of many ways they can execute a solution to fix what most of us agree on is a long-term problem with Destiny.

I'd like PVP and PVE have a very defined schism.
You shouldn't be allowed to take PVE weapons into PVP. Start off with basic gear in PVP and compete, do bounties, IB and Trails to get better weapons and armor. Also lazors (please)

Also, speaking of IB drops, this was my last game before they closed it down:

ZHJDLPP.jpg

So that is where all the weapon drops were hiding.

neoism

TRUTH!

CRtxV0eWIAEF-3S.jpg

There is no greater launcher in game. You get 4 (count 'em, FOUR!) rockets with the fastest rocket velocity, maximum blast radius and did I mention PROTOTYPE TRUTHSEEKING TRACKING?

Thunderlord is great too, don't get me wrong.

yeah ever since ghallies The miles demise ive used truth... still wish you tracked without zooming in though

Honestly, and this is going to sound bad, I think Destiny ending up where it is now after that mess is actually a testament to whatever management is in place currently.

Mhm. It's heartbreaking that they had to start from scratch because the story was too 'campy'. Fuck that shit. Give us a campy cheesy story. It was better than what we got.

Also, speaking of IB drops, this was my last game before they closed it down:

So that is where all the weapon drops were hiding.

Still hiding from you apparently >_>

opted for a self ban, I have come to realize I need to get my shit in order.

So see you guys starside.

See you later, space cowboy.

Shito

Video game development sounds horrendously difficult based on that article.
It is.
Especially for those AAA games.

All consumer software development is, really.
True that, but few people realize how many specialized topics a game can touch. Developing an AAA game nowadays asks you for so much knowledge on so many different fields -- you basically need to be good at every field that can exist in computer engineering.
That's why the "devs are lazy" mentality should be fought against with vigor. ^^

stb

For fuck's sake. This piece held nothing compelling inside it for me personally, and I imagine that I do have a more sober conceptualization of "what regular game development looks like" than many in his intended audience. It bores the crap out of me reading stuff like this, and I'll never fully understand why so much of the playerbase is starving for it. But the market is clearly there, and more importantly there's no need to call the man an asshole.

In fact I think you should be temporarily banned for it. He's a member of our community like any other.

As per usual, Hawk kinda nails it (not sure I agree with "ban"ter).

- I don't understand the praise for the piece.
- Without someone stepping into the light to be quoted, it's pretty thin. It may be 100% accurate, but without anything resembling actual confirmation it's hard to vest much in it.
- Every reference to a "source" made me care less and less (literally 30 references, btw).
- This is upsetting, because it's tinder for the "They cut stuff from vanilla and are selling it back to us!" narrative, even thought the article *attempts* (and fails, honestly) to convey none of this stuff was even approaching "done".
- That said, it's completely unnecessary to go ad hominem about it.

tl;dr Attempt at an expose(?) fails when no one will be quoted. Literally every factoid in this will now be taken as gospel, and no good will come of this for the game or it's community. Still, there's no need to attack him personally.

EDIT: removed a bunch of unnecessary "quotes"

Future

I'd like PVP and PVE have a very defined schism.
You shouldn't be allowed to take PVE weapons into PVP. Start off with basic gear in PVP and compete, do bounties, IB and Trails to get better weapons and armor. Also lazors (please)

Not sure what you gain from total separation of pve and pvp weapons though. Besides having two progression paths which could be interesting

Not sure what you gain from total separation of pve and pvp weapons though. Besides having two progression paths which could be interesting

If I recall correctly this is how World of Warcraft works, but they seem to be moving away from it with each expansion.

Mhm. It's heartbreaking that they had to start from scratch because the story was too 'campy'. Fuck that shit. Give us a campy cheesy story. It was better than what we got.

I'd take the camp as well. You can actually hear the campiness in the music at times and it fits the universe perfectly.

Afrocious

The main thing to gain from separation of the two would be clearly defined yet different ways to enjoy Destiny. A player could fully enjoy what one would have to offer without caring too much about the other.

Right now, Destiny is a melting pot of half-baked ideas with quests having both strict PvP and PvE steps and no way to get past 300 light by doing PvP, necessitating PvP players to raid. Scrapping Crucible and Vanguard Marks for the unanimous Legendary Marks was a further step into the wrong direction.

Future

If I recall correctly this is how World of Warcraft works, but they seem to be moving away from it with each expansion.

But does wow have the nuance that a twitch shooter like destiny has. I'd guess that the time it takes to tune each gun and ability is longer for a twitch/feel type of game, and that it would be really hard to tune both separately. Especially since what makes a good gun overall is kind of the same no matter what you are shooting

There is a natural separation of pvp versus pve to me. Ammo count and element type are pve centric concepts, where as anything related to time to kill is pvp centric. Not to mention perks that only work on "minions of darkness". I guess I'd need some example of awesome pve weapons held back due to pvp (or vice versa)

Sai-kun

Banned

yeah, in WoW all the PvP stuff was bought with points that were basically equivalent to Crucible Marks, and you could buy those points with points that were equivalent to Vanguard marks.

but that shit's a real pain to manage and acquire, especially in a game like Destiny where the PvP content isn't nearly half as engaging as it is in WoW, so I don't blame Bungie for condensing the marks down into just Legendary marks.

Namikaze1

Also, i refuse to believe that bit of the Douche with Cayde's personality. Nope. He has the face of a douche. That ain't no charming face!

RemiLP

The thing that bothers me the most is knowing how much more areas the game, and then the expansion, was suppose to ship with. Several completely new area to explore instead of just retreading the same zones we have had since launch.

The sad thing is is that since we acepted how the game is, and since it is a pretty big success now they may not even see the need for putting in/doing the work for a bunch of new areas. Even when we get "2" we may just get stuck with the same areas that they launch that version of the game with for years. Why bother when people are fine with just going though the same area again backwards with some new enemies?

My thoughts exactly. We get the same old areas with a few different enemy spawns and people are so happy to finaly get some "new content".

Don't see what the big fuss is over the article personally.

It basically says everything that everyone has been saying since day zero.

Also, from that raid I was in earlier, wtf was all the shit talking about?

There was clearly issues on my side Internet/lag wise and I could hear everything that was being said.

Maybe luckily for you guys that you couldn't hear what my reply was.

LiK

they don't need to constantly nerf or buff weapons to death just to make them fit in with PVP. guns like the Vex turned into garbage cuz it was too OP for PVP. it would've been a fin gun to have fun with in PVE in its original power.

E92 M3

Destiny |OT♦35| Europa, next time they'll planet

Good one, FaintColt388301.

--

Glad to see so many agree that separating PVE and PVP is inevitable if they want an exciting future. We need guns that deploy tornadoes or crazy lasers that cause mini nuke explosions. Thus far, our most exciting perk on legendary weapons is firefly.

Afrocious

I can't respect patches after what Bungie did to Strange Coins and Weapon Parts. Not to mention the inexplicable reason behind the Black Spindle nerf that nobody asked for.

Are ppl normal raiding or just waiting on the heroic mode, I'm out of the loop

I'll probably wait on my Warlock so I can get double chances on my 310+ loot from HM.

Though I don't know who I'm fooling. I think we all know we're all just gonna get 310 raid fusion rifles.

As per usual, Hawk kinda nails it (not sure I agree with "ban"ter).

- I don't understand the praise for the piece.
- Without someone stepping into the light to be quoted, it's pretty thin. It may be 100% accurate, but without anything resembling actual confirmation it's hard to vest much in it.
- Every reference to a "source" made me care less and less (literally 30 references, btw).
- This is upsetting, because it's tinder for the "They cut stuff from vanilla and are selling it back to us!" narrative, even thought the article *attempts* (and fails, honestly) to convey none of this stuff was even approaching "done".
- That said, it's completely unnecessary to go ad hominem about it.

tl;dr Attempt at an "expose" fails when no one will be quoted. Literally every "factoid" in this will now be taken as gospel, and no "good" will come of this for the game or it's community. Still, there's no need to attack him personally.

Jason Schrier doesn't do 'Gotcha!' pieces. He doesn't do hit pieces. He doesn't do pieces where he names all his sources in an attempt to get credit.

The pieces Jason Schrier works on tend to usually provide a story. And this piece is a great story. Calling it boring, saying it is upsetting...that's great. You're happy with what you got. But to say there is nothing to be said of what happened, well then that's not up to you.

Alot of people, in this thread, in GAF, everywhere I would assume, wondered what happened. This story provides closure for alot of us who were burned about Vanilla Destiny. Yes it may confirm that some things were cut or retooled in favor of selling it later(IE the Dreadnought), but you don't have to worry about the game or studios integrity about that. It's business. Many have come to term that things will be cut in order to sell later on.

This article paints a story. It may not be the story you want, but it's a story that had to be told. I wonder how many at Bungie will feel some relief that what they went through is now in light? That something they couldn't talk about to the fans, to their player base, is in some form out there?

Jason Schrier usually gets his sources. He'll double and triple check to make sure they're authentic. 'Every reference to a source made you care less' get out of here. You want names? You want people to get fired? You want people to be scrutinized? J. Schrier also doesn't deal like that. You want names? Confirmation? And then call it paper thin because there is no name? Read Schriers past articles. It's how he deals. He brings to light the hidden parts of game development. His stories are solid. If he says he's worked on this story for the past year, I believe him. To discredit his attempt, to say you don't understand the praise...this is real journalism in an industry starved from it. In an industry where PR from a company can instigate the journalism they want.

It's a great piece. It tells a story you may not want to hear. This story may contain things you don't want to hear, IE 'Oh no it pushes the narrative Bungie cut things to nickel and dime!. But to try and descredit it because you dislike it is well...petty.

Kyne

alright boyz.

I'm at work. When that update goes live I'm going to need all of you to log in and do nightfall, and then post your results.

for science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom