• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The story was particularly interesting to me as I am very interested in game development. Destiny isn't just "typical game development" either. If the piece were on the new Madden then it would be typical. Any time there is some sort of meltdown (IW with CoD MW2, Bungie with Halo 2 and Destiny) I am always interested in learning about how the operations of the studio were affected.

Article told me a lot. I have a few thoughts on the matter:

-Charlamegne had been speculated in the past and to see it confirmed was great. I'm hoping the war minds play a big role in the coming installments.

-Old Europe, Old Chicago, the cut planet, the early dreadnaught, and the raid on Mars are all huge cuts. I wonder what we will see in the future? The original scope of this game was more than ambitious.

-Staten is a great writer but like a lot of writers he needs people to keep him in check. With Staten we get great classic literary illusions and plot but sometimes things do get campy. We saw a little bit of that push back between Staten's camp and the other party at Bungie during the development of Halo 3 ODST. Very interesting.

Future

The main thing to gain from separation of the two would be clearly defined yet different ways to enjoy Destiny. A player could fully enjoy what one would have to offer without caring too much about the other.

Right now, Destiny is a melting pot of half-baked ideas with quests having both strict PvP and PvE steps and no way to get past 300 light by doing PvP, necessitating PvP players to raid. Scrapping Crucible and Vanguard Marks for the unanimous Legendary Marks was a further step into the wrong direction.

I think these decisions are made to find ways to make their content last. There isn't a surplus of either pve or pvp content, so they try to encourage you to do both to get a longer experience. Maybe in year 5 they will have enough content to fully separate the two. The 300 light thing is the same problem... For now they funnel everyone to the same end game content. If they didn't, you'd skip it and get to the end goal another way. Over time they will open up other methods to get there, but for now they are squeezing ever last bit of content to make the game feel large

I agree this isn't great though. Just don't know what else you do in a game starving for content

they don't need to constantly nerf or buff weapons to death just to make them fit in with PVP. guns like the Vex turned into garbage cuz it was too OP for PVP. it would've been a fin gun to have fun with in PVE in its original power.

I remember that. But it also seemed op for pve too :p

Well that was an interesting article. It's crazy that it takes 8 hours that upload the game world and that it's very possible for the upload to fail.

I wonder how long it'd take and what resources, to build or enhance the current to in order for this process to go smoother and quicker?

This answers a lot of questions and gives more info on things we did not know, so I enjoyed it, as much as a lot of it hurts.

LTWood12

Jason Schrier doesn't do 'Gotcha!' pieces. He doesn't do hit pieces. He doesn't do pieces where he names all his sources in an attempt to get credit.

The pieces Jason Schrier works on tend to usually provide a story. And this piece is a great story. Calling it boring, saying it is upsetting...that's great. You're happy with what you got. But to say there is nothing to be said of what happened, well then that's not up to you.

Alot of people, in this thread, in GAF, everywhere I would assume, wondered what happened. This story provides closure for alot of us who were burned about Vanilla Destiny. Yes it may confirm that some things were cut or retooled in favor of selling it later(IE the Dreadnought), but you don't have to worry about the game or studios integrity about that. It's business. Many have come to term that things will be cut in order to sell later on.

This article paints a story. It may not be the story you want, but it's a story that had to be told. I wonder how many at Bungie will feel some relief that what they went through is now in light? That something they couldn't talk about to the fans, to their player base, is in some form out there?

Jason Schrier usually gets his sources. He'll double and triple check to make sure they're authentic. 'Every reference to a source made you care less' get out of here. You want names? You want people to get fired? You want people to be scrutinized? J. Schrier also doesn't deal like that. You want names? Confirmation? And then call it paper thin because there is no name? Read Schriers past articles. It's how he deals. He brings to light the hidden parts of game development. His stories are solid. If he says he's worked on this story for the past year, I believe him. To discredit his attempt, to say you don't understand the praise...this is real journalism in an industry starved from it. In an industry where PR from a company can instigate the journalism they want.

It's a great piece. It tells a story you may not want to hear. This story may contain things you don't want to hear, IE 'Oh no it pushes the narrative Bungie cut things to nickel and dime!. But to try and descredit it because you dislike it is well...petty.

Breezy had to Regulate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plPyJdXKIY

Great post buddy.

Good one, FaintColt388301.

--

Glad to see so many agree that separating PVE and PVP is inevitable if they want an exciting future. We need guns that deploy tornadoes or crazy lasers that cause mini nuke explosions. Thus far, our most exciting perk on legendary weapons is firefly.

Yes FaintColt388301, that is a good choice. Thanks FaintColt388301.

Anyway I used to play a game that didn't separate the practice/fun game stats with the much more serious team competitive matches and so it made the overall stats pretty useless when trying to find matches. It's basically the same thing with Destiny's weapons.

Who wouldn't agree with separating PvP/PvE? I never understood the logic behind using one weapon for both. It was easier for them I guess? That's no excuse. You could make much more fun guns and make them PvE only. The game would be greatly improved and I hope they do it for Destiny 2 (or sooner).

Frenden

Banned
The bit about how woefully inadequate their tools are made me cringe. No wonder it's pulling teeth to get small fixes. I know big ships are slow to turn, but that bit was just ridiculous. I feel bad for them.

stb

Jason Schrier doesn't do 'Gotcha!' pieces. He doesn't do hit pieces. He doesn't do pieces where he names all his sources in an attempt to get credit.

The pieces Jason Schrier works on tend to usually provide a story. And this piece is a great story. Calling it boring, saying it is upsetting...that's great. You're happy with what you got. But to say there is nothing to be said of what happened, well then that's not up to you.

I'm not sure where you got any of that from what I wrote.

I made no commentary on the quality of Jason's work, or suggest it was "gotcha". The worst thing I said is that it's thin without a source being willing to step forward, and I stand by that.

Alot of people, in this thread, in GAF, everywhere I would assume, wondered what happened. This story provides closure for alot of us who were burned about Vanilla Destiny. Yes it may confirm that some things were cut or retooled in favor of selling it later(IE the Dreadnought), but you don't have to worry about the game or studios integrity about that. It's business. Many have come to term that things will be cut in order to sell later on.

This is kind of a case in point for what I meant. Nowhere in it does he even insinuate that stuff was cut to sell it back. Content was cut to make a deadline, at an unspecified phases of development. They didn't part out finished stuff to sell it back, and Jason never says as much.

This article paints a story. It may not be the story you want, but it's a story that had to be told.

Wut? It's understood that the game was ripped apart and reassembled. Where does the bolded come from? Lame to foist that on me because I didn't like the piece, man.

I wonder how many at Bungie will feel some relief that what they went through is now in light? That something they couldn't talk about to the fans, to their player base, is in some form out there?

Jason Schrier usually gets his sources. He'll double and triple check to make sure they're authentic. 'Every reference to a source made you care less' get out of here. You want names? You want people to get fired? You want people to be scrutinized? J. Schrier also doesn't deal like that. You want names? Confirmation? And then call it paper thin because there is no name? Read Schriers past articles. It's how he deals. He brings to light the hidden parts of game development. His stories are solid. If he says he's worked on this story for the past year, I believe him. To discredit his attempt, to say you don't understand the praise...this is real journalism in an industry starved from it. In an industry where PR from a company can instigate the journalism they want.

I didn't suggest his sources weren't real. I said that continually referring to "sources" without knowing who those sources are means less to me. Sorry you can't deal with that.

It's a great piece. It tells a story you may not want to hear. This story may contain things you don't want to hear, IE 'Oh no it pushes the narrative Bungie cut things to nickel and dime!. But to try and descredit it because you dislike it is well...petty.

I criticized the piece, that's it. There was no attempt to discredit it. My response also has nothing to do "not wanting to hear" things. If you take this piece as confirmation that stuff was parted out to sell to us later, you *completely* missed the point of it.

Breezy had to Regulate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plPyJdXKIY

Great post buddy.

Seriously?

LiK

The bit about how woefully inadequate their tools are made me cringe. No wonder it's pulling teeth to get small fixes. I know big ships are slow to turn, but that bit was just ridiculous. I feel bad for them.

No ship battles anytime soon

Shito

Wait: since when is the infamous FaintColt388301 posting on DGAF? :D

You had a nice reaction on that topic man, you were off to a baaad start but you managed to take it lightly and roll with the jokes... ^^

Not sure if this was posted already, but Bungie updated their Help page with info about raid loot. I think it's safe to assume that doing hard KF before doing normal will provide 1 roll from the hard loot table and 1 roll from normal (i.e. Like CE and not VoG).

Raids: Players cannot earn new raid-specific loot from a raid more than once a week per mode. The normal and hard mode Raids have their own separate loot tables, so the two modes can be completed separately or can be combined. Completing normal mode does not lock out earning loot on the incomplete hard mode. However, if a player starts the Raid on hard mode and completes it, they will receive the loot rewards from both the normal and hard difficulty mode.
There is a checkpoint for every boss killed that grants activity-specific loot. This checkpoint allows players to return to that checkpoint of the Raid if played before the week resets. Separate characters on the same account can each play the Raid and still get raid-specific loot as they finish each section of the Raid; this means an individual player can earn loot from a Raid for a maximum of six times (for three characters) per weekly lockout. There is a Raid checkpoint tracker for characters that players can access on Bungie.net to keep track of their progress, and to see what bosses have been looted for the week.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/12287

Sounds like we should be thankful for the cut that happened with Destiny and look forward to Destiny 2. Especially now with how Destiny is doing microtransaction so that we do not look forward to huge DLC expansions. Let's be honest: we will not be getting anything big until Destiny 2 drops next year. So with all of their focus there I can't wait to see what this game turns into. Remember boyz, max out that grimoire.

Deku Tree

Cuco and two friends farmed the Grasp for hours last night. Five grasps dropped...
and Cuco got all five of them including one with a good roll.

“They basically came in and said, ‘Look, here’s our story of developing Diablo III and then bringing in [the expansion] Reaper of Souls,’” said one person who was at the Blizzard talk. “They were saying, like, ‘Hey, random numbers are not fun—dice rolls are not fun. You can give the illusion of randomness, but you want to weight it towards the player… The only point you have to deliver on is that when people leave your game—because they will—when they leave your game, they need to be happy.’”

This is great. This is what I wanted a year ago when this game first came out, for diablo 3's team to sit down with Bungie and tell them what's up. And while Bungie has some ways to go on loot variety, the feeling of getting constant engrams and getting rewarded constantly, in strikes atleast, is there.

Sounds like we should be thankful for the cut that happened with Destiny and look forward to Destiny 2. Especially now with how Destiny is doing microtransaction so that we do not look forward to huge DLC expansions. Let's be honest: we will not be getting anything big until Destiny 2 drops next year. So with all of their focus there I can't wait to see what this game turns into. Remember boyz, max out that grimoire.

Ugh, do I have to

Deku Tree

Not sure if this was posted already, but Bungie updated their Help page with info about raid loot. I think it's safe to assume that doing hard KF before doing normal will provide 1 roll from the hard loot table and 1 roll from normal (i.e. Like CE and not VoG).

Getting 300 boots from Golgo on HM KF is going to be the new "OMG WTF two moldering shards from 20 moldering shards!"

neoism

“Let’s say a designer wants to go in and move a resource node two inches,” said one person familiar with the engine. “They go into the editor. First they have to load their map overnight. It takes eight hours to input their map overnight. They get [into the office] in the morning. If their importer didn’t fail, they open the map. It takes about 20 minutes to open. They go in and they move that node two feet. And then they’d do a 15-20 minute compile. Just to do a half-second change.”
i'm not gonna lie at all I don't have a clue how to do code or to develop an engine whatsoever but you would think after all this time and experience bungie has, they would make an engine that was easy to develop for and not have this mess which only adds to the hassle of making a game, but this is ridiculous.

Kyne

for some reason I don't think that the Help Desk knows anything about the HM loot table and how it's going to work.

would gladly eat crow though.

Cuco and two friends farmed the Grasp for hours last night. Five grasps dropped...
and Cuco got all five of them including one with a good roll.

Got one last night with a decent roll. It's not Hopscotch 2.0 It's over hyped because of how rare it is. They need to increase the drop rates for strike loot. It's a problem when you have people grinding for hours for anything.

Remember that time Kyoufu tried to rile up DGAF by calling Cayde a douche?

Didn't work.

Not going to lie. They did seem to "douche" him up as a way to add character to him. Like listen to his original lines in the first version of the game, like the Dust Palace intro. His voice is more subdued.

Sure, no one at all actually had a character in the original game but his voice direction seemed to have changed from having voice direction to "okay, now just act like a character you play in those shows you are in".

Not going to lie. They did seem to "douche" him up as a way to add character to him. Like listen to his original lines in the first version of the game, like the Dust Palace intro. His voice is more subdued.

Sure, no one at all actually had a character in the original game but his voice direction seemed to have changed from having voice direction to "okay, now just act like a character you play in those shows you are in".

Oh I don't disagree. He's supposed to be Han Solo now, who's a little bit of a douche.

Got one last night with a decent roll. It's not Hopscotch 2.0 It's over hyped because of how rare it is. They need to increase the drop rates for strike loot. It's a problem when you have people grinding for hours for anything.

More like they just need to make it part of TTK Strike Roulette so people would actually see the new gear it drops without having to just farm it.

stb

i'm not gonna lie at all I don't have a clue how to do code or to develop an engine whatsoever but you would think after all this time and experience bungie has, they would make an engine that was easy to develop for and not have this mess which only adds to the hassle of making a game, but this is ridiculous.

The side effect of this that I really, really enjoy is that in some narratives this is true AND there was a ton of content in the can that was maliciously cut from vanilla strictly to sell to us later for more money.

So they:
- were handicapped working with horrible tools that caused workflow problems like this
- had to cut apart what had been built and re-assemble it (using aforementioned tools) to have a shippable game after *2* significant delays
- re-made TBD in a few weeks
- and yet still had bits of TBD, HOW, and TTK in the can which were ready to go that they cut out to sell us later

SMH.

Treasure, when I see even the faintest of contexts that I can insert 90s hip-hop/R&B, I take the opportunity. :)

You know I love you.

It just reinforces questionable behavior. It should be OK here to coherently criticize something.

Future

I do think, though, without a raid or significant new coop challenge before next September, we will see more player fragmentation. Crota, PoE, and trials were significant additions and there were about 10 exotics added as well to chase after, not including unique raid and reef gear.

Even though people can debate the quality, these additions kept people playing and kept destiny in the news all year.

What is interesting about destiny is that it is a huge time synch and lots of gameplay hours for your dollar, but since there is no traditional story book ending it lacks satisfaction when you stop. Because it's like you just stop grinding at some point and its left hanging unfinished. Quarterly dlc mitigates this as something new is always around the corner. Waiting a year though...

Unless thats what they want you to do

More like they just need to make it part of TTK Strike Roulette so people would actually see the new gear it drops without having to just farm it.

It's a major problem IMHO. You get this really bad trickle down effect when streamers go after weapons in the game. There's no way for a regular Joe to know if the weapon really is AMAZING or just hype. So then regular Joe has to go grind for a gun just to try it out. It might not even suit his/her playstyle either and or just be over hyped.

Treasure, when I see even the faintest of contexts that I can insert 90s hip-hop/R&B, I take the opportunity. :)

You know I love you.

It's pretty great treasure.

They should have used an engine like UE4, it sounds like a nightmare changing things. No wonder why they take so long on fixes.(Like if this was WoW, something like the shadowshot would've been disabled the day it appeared.)

PuMa

It's a major problem IMHO. You get this really bad trickle down effect when streamers go after weapons in the game. There's no way for a regular Joe to know if the weapon really is AMAZING or just hype. So then regular Joe has to go grind for a gun just to try it out. It might not even suit his/her playstyle either and or just be over hyped.

Just don't buy into the streamers at all. Use other sources for impressions. Check out this write-up from Reddit not too long ago, which I think much more accurately sums up the Grasp. But yeah, the drop rates could be higher.

The Lowdown

You've experienced these Pulse Rifles before if you played the Raids - Praedyth's Timepiece and Oversoul Edict were the paragons of this archetype. They're the fastest firing Pulse Rifles, so they do the least damage per bullet. However, with the added utility of flinch in the new metagame, they're not to be written off entirely - though the inclusion of only one Pulse Rifle in this archetype in The Taken King means we probably won't see a lot of them.
On paper, these puppies have a fast time to kill. However, it is relatively impractical to get a consistent 3-burst kill with these weapons. Possible? Sure. Probable? Not really. To even achieve a 4-burst kill, you still have to land a couple crits. This takes them largely out of the competitive equation, because there's this thing called strafing that enemies tend to do when they're getting shot at. Who knew?

Edit: r/CruciblePlaybook is pretty good for Destiny PVP info. Much better than the regular Destiny sub.

spyder_ur

It just reinforces questionable behavior. It should be OK here to coherently criticize something.

It should also be OK here to tangentially link to 90s hip-hop staples. It would be ludacris not to be able to do that.

Has Bungie said anything else that we should expect with this patch other than the change to Nightfall rewards?

LTWood12

What questionable behavior am I reinforcing, and of course it's OK to criticize something? It was just some Warren G inserted for a nostalgic laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom