• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill try it is pretty long.

TLDR

A "Super Cut" of the story was put together of all the cut scenes in the summer of 2013 and shown to the execs. Everyone hated it. Some said that the Super Cut did not do the story justice.

It was supposed to be a linear story where you would see all zones/planets within the first few hours.

Story was scrapped and started over. They pushed hard to make the March date and had to plead with Activision to get it pushed back.

They reused a lot of pieces that were in the original story, left out Dreadnaught/Europa/Osirus (a guy that gives you quests on Mecury), Crow (would have been like Cayde-6 and they reused his model to become the queens brother)

They were expecting 90 metacritic, pretty tough to get that 78 metacritic, missed out on a bonus from Activision. Bungie employees admitted they thought the players would not like the story but felt the other things they did right would make up for it.

Dark Below was made in 6 weeks after it was all scrapped and developers were almost locked into a room.

Does not talk much about HOW.

Micro transactions are the future, supposedly no new DLC. They pitched that to activision and they agreed.

Takes the designers and insane amount of time to work with their engine. IE. to move a patrol chest two feet can take 12 hours as they have to load the game world the night before on their server and hope it does not error overnight.

Diablo 3 developers came in to help Bungie and talk about their experiences. They supposedly made a big impact on how they went about their expansion with Reaper of Souls, correcting some of the things the original game did wrong. Bungie

May have missed somethings but that is the big points I think.

God, that crunch, I hope those devs are well compensated because that must have been freaking HELL.

Liamc723

It was information that was already known, or is standard game development being presented as a big revelation.

Bungie already said themselves publically multiple times that they had to get their internal tools up to speed. They repeatedly said it was a new engine. Which means new middle ware, which means you lose all the 'battle tested' code you had with your previous games.

It's hilarious when people keep begging for developers to make new engines and then ignore the cost of making a new engine (rebooting your entire internal toolchain and retraining everyone)

This isn't journalism, investigative, or even useful. It's a hitpiece on a developer that has always been open about their failures, but because they didn't write their post mortems fast enough they're now being treated as "hiding something".

I guess you don't actually know what investigative journalism is then.

GutZ31

I know a lot of things about Halo and Destiny's development. I also have respect for my fellow man and don't fucking stab people in the back for clicks.

When I "revealed" that Reach had a cut Lockout Forge remake, I asked if it was postable first. If I had been told no, I would have never talked about it.

Yes.

It's very annoying when so called "journalism" writes things out of context to make standard development issues and choices out to be some dramatic material when it's a problem you encounter, deal with, solve, and move onwards.

Snickers+whats+your+favorite+candy_0d4127_4609059.jpg

I think stepping away from GAF for a bit may give you some time to detox.

FyreWulff

Who is Jason "stabbing in the back"?

BTW, you also don't work "for clicks". Jason is a journalist who tries to write articles that people want to read, like this one.

Gawker media is heavily views based.

Ask all the Kotaku writers that had bashcraft skim money from them by editing in his selfies onto their articles to gain co-credit so that he would gain some of their view bonus some years ago.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Nah. Jason Schrier is an asshole for pushing the tabloidization of regular game development.

Him coming in here and hyping up his article should tell you he's more interesting in "look at me!" than any actual investigative product.
What? He was just doing his job as a reporter. The story of Destiny was messed up at launch and people deserve to know what happened after investing so much time and money on the game. Jason is also an active member of NeoGAF and plays Destiny a lot, I think you're being unfair.

LTWood12

For fuck's sake. This piece held nothing compelling inside it for me personally, and I imagine that I do have a more sober conceptualization of "what regular game development looks like" than many in his intended audience. It bores the crap out of me reading stuff like this, and I'll never fully understand why so much of the playerbase is starving for it. But the market is clearly there, and more importantly there's no need to call the man an asshole.

In fact I think you should be temporarily banned for it. He's a member of our community like any other.

As the guy who got banned for a Full House .gif (and rightfully so), I concur with your assessment.

Dante316

Just read the article and I'm like with so many issues and turmoil. Destiny is by far my favorite and most played game this generation now imagine once they have a better story!destiny 2 hype!

Kalamari

Ha, I don't think it was a hitpiece at all, sure it's common knowledge that this happens in game development regularly, but it was a fascinating read due to the fact that people like us are interested in what actually happened with the game. People are interested in what goes on at Bungie because they like Bungie.

You wouldn't see the same reaction from an article about Game of War, or whatever that stupid smartphone game is.

Kyoufu

Destiny 2 will be awesomesauce if they separate PVP and PVE so we can start getting some crazy perks.

I think this is the direction they should take. PVP is holding back PVE.

I know Luke Smith loves his time with WoW, but there are some things you shouldn't take as gospel from that game. PVP and PVE consistency with an item's properties being one of them.

Kyne

All the things they are learning from + the new technological advantage they'll have with creating for next-gen only systems excites me for Destiny 2.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I think this is the direction they should take. PVP is holding back PVE.

I know Luke Smith loves his time with WoW, but there are some things you shouldn't take as gospel from that game. PVP and PVE consistency with an item's properties being one of them.

Can't see that direction changing.
The whole aspect of having this character that is used for every aspect of the game is the cornerstone of their vision.
It started with Halo Reach and the visual armour unlocks that Luke did there.

I wish they could have PVP and PVE perks seperate on the gear though.
Maybe that's all that needs to happen. One line of perks on the guns are PVP only.

GutZ31

Destiny 2 Hype train tickets are on sale.
>_>
<_<
CHOO choo?
&#128642;&#128642;&#128642;&#128642;

The hype would be real if I didn't read High Moon Studios.

The list of games they have worked on are all very low on my list of games I would consider to my liking.

Darkwatch
Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
Deadpool
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

EL CUCO

Having spent so much time playing Destiny, I enjoyed reading Jason's article alot. It's nice to see the type of grind that goes on behind the scenes of a game you love to play, even if it isn't pretty. It reminds you that there are actual people working hard on something you spend alot of time on.

Ever since GDC, we kinda knew the engine and tools were...complicated, but I liked this quote lol
“Bungie is ravenously appreciative of the people that play their games, and they listen, they listen so clearly. But because the tools are shit, and because no one can reach consensus on how to fix the game in the time that’s allotted, you get a lot of sort of paralysis.”

Well now I can now see where they are getting all the content for a full sequel in just a year. New Earth zone, new Mars zone, new Europa zone. If we don't get at least that then we can tell that shit was cut down again.

LTWood12

I hope there isn't any sort of internal witch hunt within the studio trying to find who talked to Jason. Long-term i think it's healthy for the studio that this got out, and now they can move on. Given the circumstances they've defied the odds and delivered something special. So special we talk about it w/ each other every day.

tariniel

Well shit, yesterday I finally had finished the IB rep 5 grind and bought the Pulse Rifle, and then later that night doing strikes I got a Hawkmoon from a primary exotic engram.

Is the IB Pulse Rifle better than Hawkmoon for PvP? Before IB I was desperately wanting the Hawkmoon but I don't know what's better anymore. Either way I'll level it up and then give it a try to see what I like better, just curious what other people think.

The hype would be real if I didn't read High Moon Studios.

The list of games they have worked on are all very low on my list of games I would consider to my liking.

Darkwatch
Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
Deadpool
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

they're probably outsourcing things to them, I would imagine most of the heavy lifting and core stuff will be done by Bungie.

Kyoufu

Can't see that direction changing.
The whole aspect of having this character that is used for every aspect of the game is the cornerstone of their vision.
It started with Halo Reach and the visual armour unlocks that Luke did there.

I wish they could have PVP and PVE perks seperate on the gear though.
Maybe that's all that needs to happen. One line of perks on the guns are PVP only.

The suggestion of separating PVE and PVP in itemisation is something that's up to Bungie to best implement.

Look at The Last Word for example. 100% a PVP weapon which was grade A garbage in PVE.

Now imagine if they could have made it extremely potent in PVE too without rocking its performance in PVP as well? They need to be working towards that solution.

Your perk suggestion is one of many ways they can execute a solution to fix what most of us agree on is a long-term problem with Destiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom