• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT35| Time to Explain At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooo... what use marks are anymore for person that is close to 310 LL with "essential" gear acquired from factions? I can't think any good way to burn any of those suckers anymore.
I use them mostly for vendor weapons and armor with really good rolls like Hung Jury and Vertigo, exotics that you can't get a year 2 version unless you buy it from the blueprints kiosk or get lucky in the nightfall(Red Death, Bad Juju, Thunderlord) and I guess that's really it.

Strider

Based Master Ives! Fuck Rahool!

CSLWRoGUcAANZO4.jpg:large

Hard raid came out too soon, didn't it? People who got lucky enough with drops to get to 310 when normal raid was the only option didn't even get any time to gloat and enjoy it.

Anyone for a fresh run just for loot up to sisters, I haven't got it in me to bang my head against Oryx, that will come after reset

Crucible matchmaking spends 5 minutes looking for players. Forms teams 3 vs 6.

Never change Destiny matchmaking <3

Its been broken all day, mismatched teams and all Bastion and Skyshock

Messiek

Well done, a smooth run.

You had two people in ogres. Did you have the first platform man jump up there once the spark runner had cleared his area?

The person that doesn't need to be on the 4th platform is the second floater. Everyone jumps up when the spark is collected.

soultron

Banned
Random question. If you have Vanilla on disc, but got the legendary edition PSN digital version of TTK, is there a way you can play Destiny without the Vanilla disc inserted? I thought the legendary DD version of TTK includes Vanilla Destiny?

SonComet

Anyone for a fresh run just for loot up to sisters, I haven't got it in me to bang my head against Oryx, that will come after reset

Its been broken all day, mismatched teams and all Bastion and Skyshock
I'm interested in a fresh hard mode up to sisters. Internet went out when I tried it yesterday, but everything should be in order today.

todd360

I had the strangest dream last night. I received a package that instructed me to take the book in the package to the ocean. Why the ocean? Bungie's secret game update room is there. Lol... Anyways the instructions told me I had to go do that and attend a meeting that was an hour or two after the game update time. My dilemma was it would take hours to get to the meeting from the ocean and I really wanted to make sure I made it to this meeting for some reason. I decided I would need someone else to help me take the game update book to the ocean even though I wanted to do it myself. It was a great honor to help bungie update the game lol. So I needed someone trustworthy. Decided that fig was perfect for the job and then realized I didn't have the time to go halfway across the world to get her help lol. So I had to do it myself. Went to the ocean and got scuba gear. The update room was dark and cool as fuck since it was in the ocean. The book had 3 or 4 big USB drives with the destiny update. I got there early to do it so I could go to the meeting. The terminal wouldn't let me update the game until the time I was instructed to do so and I got pissed off. I woke up soon after that.

They don't. 310 is the max for exotics drops.
And 290s can still drop even if you are over 310. It's less likely though.

Not true, someone got a 315 exotic titan chest at the exotic chest (dreadnaught jumping) friday. I would guess oryx can sometimes drop a 310-320 exotic as well, since I have seen him drop 310 exotics in normal. The oryx chests all seem to be single loot too, as in anyone who looted normal chests will get nothing from hard chests. So next week we will see a lot more data, as this week had most people already clear normal before hard.

you are correct though, nobody has decoded an exotic higher 310 from engrams, no matter what their light level. Although nobody is 320 either, since there doesn't seem to be a way to get higher than 310 class artifact.

Did a few runs at Oryx HM using the alt strat, much easier but still quite difficult if the entire team is under 311. Just random stuff (thralls, ogres) can kill someone super fast, whereas when you are 311+ you have a bit more margin of error. Hope they don't do something dumb like put an add up on the sisters platform or something to prevent it, its more or less equal difficulty if the entire team is 315+ and it gives a bit more breathing room for under 310 guardians.

BahamutPT

Anyone need free Daily Marks? I've beaten the boss, just need to get the drive and end the mission. PSN is the same as my username here.

Two spots left.

The issue with the fight is that it can be consistently 2 cycled. It's easier in the beginning, but by the time you're done with it, it'll be on the easier side than the hard side. It's a complete joke as it is right now. To say 'Oh it's fine if it gets harder' is well, funny because most of the time you won't even see more than 2 powers at once, and alot of the groups that clear HM will have killed him after the first rune stone anyways.

Totally agree w what you're saying about the current problems easily 2-cycling it. But it needs a more fundamental revision than starting w all powers and taking them away. Even something basic like HP threshold triggers that deactivate the brand would work (but feel cheap).

Subtracting powers also doesn't work with the encounter's conceptual framework of the Occulus consuming the runes for power then transferring it to Warpriest. I believe the Occulus is supposed to be Oryx working by proxy to teach Warpriest abilities from his Taken army. It's a cool idea (that's completely lost in NM...) but it's not scaled well currently (2 cycle 2 easy).

The main problem is the Brand mechanic itself allows for an enormous DPS window once it's been mastered. Frankly the brand should be thrown out completely here and DPS controlled by something else entirely. Something that would allow for WPriest to grow in strength without forcing the encounter to last unnecessarily long. High skill should always reduce completion time within reason *cough Oryx cough*

I like how King's Fall has a running theme of "Aura/Brand mechanics" but I hate how poorly defined their abilities are. Totems has a brand that acts as a buff to subdue Annihilator Totems and transfers to a nearby "linked" player after a 30 second countdown. Then War Priest has a brand that acts as a debuff which kills you and transfers to a linked player after a 10 second countdown... unless you kill adds then it can last 60 seconds... and oh yeah it also acts as a buff that lets you damage the boss even though it's red and has the debuff symbol.

Golgi has no Aura but Radiant Light pools act similarly. Daughters and Oryx have the only consistent Aura (Invincibility!) but it's completely different than anything before. Now you need a relic ("Brand Claimer") to slam on a Wizard... Or a Knight... And steal their brand which lasts indefinitely until it's destroyed by a Deathsinger's Hymn.... Or by a detonated blighted light left behind by an Ogre. It's just a jumbled mess.

Ultimately these Auras create two of King's Falls biggest problems: (1) constantly forces you to stand in one place and DON'T MOVE OR ELSE and (2) an inconsistent mechanical vocabulary with poor conveyance to players. In VoG the sync plates at the front door function exactly the same as the ones in the final room. At first glance I know what to do with them (stand long enough to activate then I can get out) and what not to do (don't let Praetorians touch them). This is great game design!

In King's Fall I see a tomb husk at the front door; I hold square to pick it up then hold square to dunk on a statue that eventually opens a portal. I never see a tomb husk or a statue again.
No the stupid basketball court Easter egg doesn't count.
In the final room I see a glowing light that I stand in, without being able to interact, until the game decides I've picked it up. Now I hold square on an enemy to steal a Brand that makes me invincible... except the last Brand I used would kill me...

Also if I didn't touch each glowing light on the platforms leading to that glowing light then I won't be able to "pick up" the last glowing light. Except this fail state isn't conveyed to players because they've removed the pick-up interaction that tomb husks had. So now you stand on the light like a dummy waiting for the game to give it to you.

Worst offender: At the start of KF I see a Hive ship. What function does it serve? You jump on it for transportation. It's not hostile, won't kill you or shoot at you. At the end of KF I see a Hive ship. What function does it serve? It immediately kills you for no reason if you lightly graze the sides. It shoots at you. If you jump on it for transportation, it will carry you until magically disappearing at the back of the room and leave you suspended in mid-air for no reason whatsoever. This is bad game design!

TL;DR: King's Fall is a good raid. It's not a great raid.

Edit: wow seriously? I swear I didn't camp this page top. Please believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom