• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT35| Time to Explain At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlamFM

Banned
can you blame them for extending the grind?

They would have a much bigger issue on their hands if 1 week after HM was released everyone was 320.

They should increase the drop rate and decrease the chance of high light level gear.

That's what you all want, right?

Not really, there is still this vertical progression Luke keeps talking about.

Reaching 320 in one specific setup is nice, but there are a bazillion guns in this game, different armor kits and so on.

A constant stream of high level drops would still keep me playing.

If got stuff to infuse. Lots of it.

It is amazing how complicated the Oryx fight is, and how many individual mechanics it has. As an exercise, I tried to see if I could explain all the mechanics of the Raid boss fights in one sentence. Here we go.

Atheon teleports half the Guardians to the past/future to have Oracles kill them, but Kabr's relic allows them to fight back against the Oracles and eventually Atheon, while the team that stays in the present is Detained but can escape to open a Portal to past/present and allow them to rejoin their fireteam and make their own fate.

Mechanics: Oracles, Cleansing, Detain Shields, Portals, Sync Plates, Relics.

Crota taunts the Guardians to challenge him directly since he can only be killed by the Sword Logic, and so the Guardians must steal a Sword and stagger him to allow the Swordbearer to damage him, which is difficult since all the while, Crota's physical presence in his Throne World prevents healing and the Oversoul ensures any guardian deaths are shared by the whole team.

Mechanics: Swordbearing, Lack of healing, Oversoul

Skolas may be back in Prison, but he can still be challenged and finally killed by Guardians who defeat his Servitors that allow him to heal and can juggle a poisonous Taint, and all while Variks occasionally questions why he allows this at all and puts out mines that must be dismantled to blow everyone up.

Mechanics: Servitor Bonds, Taint, Dismantle Mines
(or you die)

Oryx likes to smash his fists on platforms to create a tear between dimensions that the Guardians can enter to chase an interdimensional brand that is above the arena on a series of platforms that are called into existence by guardians standing on the platforms, which once grabbed allows the runner Guardian to steal a brand of immortality from a Vessel of Oryx Knight that is guarded by a Hive Ship that will allow the guardians to survive detonations of Darkness Blights which are leftover from Light Eater Ogres that are summoned when Oryx smashes his fist, but must also be protected from Knights that eat Dark Blights and/or the Vessel of Oryx, because when Oryx's chest opens up to expose his vulnerability when he tries to kill the guardians with the same Darkness Blights but if the Guardians stagger Oryx he instead can be damaged by the blights of concentrated Darkness and once that's done the Guardians must either run away from Darkness Blasts or kill one of Oryx's shades in a Shadow Realm, which must be defended from the outside from enemies rushing in, which having completed all of this will allow the Guardians to kill Oryx during his last stand.

Whew. Worst run-on sentence ever.

Mechanics: Interdimensional running, platforming (jumping), platforming (plate holding), brand stealing, orb detonation, echo fighting, blight blasts that must be escaped, staggering Oryx's chest

I like Atheon's the most. It's cohesive, both mechanically and lore-wise.

The Oryx fight didn't feel cohesive to me like the other ones, but on reflection, it does use just about every mechanic from the Taken King. The only new to Raid Oryx mechanic is orb detonation. The rest of the mechanics are from all over Taken King. Being "taken" is obvious, platforming on hidden plates happens all over the Dreadnaught, brands are used throughout the raid, blight blasts are used by his Echoes, fighting echoes is throughout the story. It's basically every trick Oryx has and has ever used. Which is really cool. I just wish they knit together a bit better for that final encounter like the other Raid bosses.

The one thing I don't like as much is that every Brand does something different. This one gives you Deathsinger Power, this one kills you if you don't kill stuff, this one makes you Unravelable/ Immortal.

Afrocious

I still don't see why HM gear just doesn't drop at 320 atk/def with randomized perks.

I'll have about an hour to knock out a hard oryx kill, who wants in? 312 hunter.

1. Macello

Can start in about ten minutes.

are you still going to raid with us at 5? if not, then LiK can take your spot.

Kyoufu

I think Akai was lost in time so we need 1 more for KF HM starting from Totem CP. Where you at Ruffles?

edit: nvm Akai has returned.

LTWood12

Ghost was 292
Heavy was a 300 Truth
Gloves were 307

So:

292 to 318
300 to 319
307 to 316

A total light swing of 54 from 3 encounters is hitting the jackpot.

I'd like to recommend you head to the nearest craps table and ride the wave. Not only did you hit 316+ on each, I would imagine the ghost and the heavy were probably the two lowest light pieces of gear you had in general.

Possible? Yes. Probable? no.

LiK

@LiK - I thought I said you'd always have a slot if I had a raid group going? My concern is that I don't know when you're up for raiding.

Today, it looks like myself, math, nami, fig, breezy, and marcello are going to be raiding but if you're looking for a static team again, join us on Tuesdays at 5PM - 530PM eastern if you can.

Thanks brah 😁 Nami invited me but it seems I might not make it in time now. Feel free to ask someone else and add me as an alt.

Greenymac

If you still need another I'm up for it.

Pandora012

Just, the ship parts I suck at them....

Youre good man, I suck ath them, too. Also, Im a little unfamiliar with the beginnings of the raid. Like to first time i was just taking orders and the last time the group i went with was already at the part just before the warpriest.

So:

292 to 318
300 to 319
307 to 316

A total light swing of 54 from 3 encounters is hitting the jackpot.

I'd like to recommend you head to the nearest craps table and ride the wave. Not only did you hit 316+ on each, I would imagine the ghost and the heavy were probably the two lowest light pieces of gear you had in general.

Possible? Yes. Probable? no.

I'm just a glass half full kind of guy. :D

Ghost and Heavy were definitely weaker sections for me.

Namikaze1

@LiK - I thought I said you'd always have a slot if I had a raid group going? My concern is that I don't know when you're up for raiding.

Today, it looks like myself, math, nami, fig, breezy, and marcello are going to be raiding but if you're looking for a static team again, join us on Tuesdays at 5PM - 530PM eastern if you can.
Have you check your PSN messages yet? Fig says she won't make it till 6PM EST

Adding 'Time's Vengeance' to your list of VoG mechanics.

Oryx's mechanics are larger in quantity, but I think you could similarly make pretty big run-on sentences for Atheon, Templar, Crota, Skolas, Golgoroth, & the sisters as well.

I didn't say "Time's Vengeance" directly but I hinted at it with 'make their own fate'. All the same, it slots in easily:

Atheon teleports half the Guardians to the past/future to have Oracles kill them, but Kabr's relic allows them to fight back against the Oracles and eventually Atheon with Time's Vengeance, while the team that stays in the present is Detained but can escape to open a Portal to past/present and allow them to rejoin their fireteam and make their own fate.​

You can inflate any of the fights. The Question is: can you shorten them? Extra points for including a flair for the lore like I did for Atheon, Crota and Skolas. I'll try again for Oryx:

Oryx, the Hive God and Taken King, summons the Darkness itself with his fists to defeat the Guardians, but in doing so creates a tear that a Guardian can enter and pursue a brand along a series of platforms that are summoned by other Guardians on platforms, while they are in turn pursued by Light Eater Ogres, but those Ogres can be used against Oryx when his heart is exposed because the Darkness Blight they leave behind are detonated to hurt him while leaving the Guardians safe inside their Aura of Immortality which was stolen by the Brandwielder from a Vessel of Oryx, but once the Orbs are detonated Oryx summons darkness blights or takes the guardians to fight against his Echo until Oryx again tries to use the Darkness.​

Not much better, but I did get a little flair. I started writing it a little down on the fight, but once I wrote it all down I saw that every mechanic is something that Oryx has used before, and gained some respect for the fight. But it's still *a lot* and not everything feels necessary. The Darkness Blights that we run away from, for example, could be cut and you wouldn't lose anything.

LTWood12

I didn't say "Time's Vengeance" directly but I hinted at it with 'make their own fate'. All the same, it slots in easily:

Atheon teleports half the Guardians to the past/future to have Oracles kill them, but Kabr's relic allows them to fight back against the Oracles and eventually Atheon with Time's Vengeance, while the team that stays in the present is Detained but can escape to open a Portal to past/present and allow them to rejoin their fireteam and make their own fate.​

You can inflate any of the fights. The Question is: can you shorten them? Extra points for including a flair for the lore like I did for Atheon, Crota and Skolas. I'll try again for Oryx:

Oryx, the Hive God and Taken King, summons the Darkness itself with his fists to defeat the Guardians, but in doing so creates a tear that a Guardian can enter and pursue a brand along a series of platforms that are summoned by other Guardians while they are in turn pursued by Light Eater Ogres, but those Ogres can be used against Oryx when his heart is exposed because the Darkness Blight they leave behind are detonated to hurt him while leaving the Guardians safe inside their Aura of Immortality which was stolen by the Brandwielder from a Vessel of Oryx, but once the Orbs are detonated Oryx summons darkness blights or takes the guardians to fight against his Echo until Oryx again tries to use the Darkness.​

Not much better, but I did get a little flair. I started writing it a little down on the fight, but once I wrote it all down I saw that every mechanic is something that Oryx has used before, and gained some respect for the fight. But it's still *a lot* and not everything feels necessary. The Darkness Blights that we run away from, for example, could be cut and you wouldn't lose anything.

"Guardian's Make Their Own Fate" is my favorite thing in Destiny. Kabr's Aegis is so fucking cool.

This isn't a proper response to everything you just typed, but it just made me remember how much I fucking love that.

You doing the No Time to Explain Quest? We should do VoG together for funsies.

"Guardian's Make Their Own Fate" is my favorite thing in Destiny. Kabr's Aegis is so fucking cool.

This isn't a proper response to everything you just typed, but it just made me remember how much I fucking love that.

You doing the No Time to Explain Quest? We should do VoG together for funsies.

Yep. I love seeing 'Guardians Make Their Own Fate'. Feels so cool.

I did NTTE last week, but I love the Vault, will go back anytime I can.
I'm already there. I've never been. I will be return again.

I'm booked tonight, but maybe Friday/next week.

Also, Drizzay, I figured out the theme for King's Fall. It's said outright in the trailer: Rise.

"Six of you must rise, and stand together as the King falls."

In two ways. One: You must become Ascendant to enter the Raid. And two: every transition point has you rise (and if you do go down, you come back up). And the Brands for the last two fights are up in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom