• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Deku Tree

Hope you're ready to receive hate messages

FLWGWPg.gif

Lmao

E92 M3

Here's the way I see it:

Bungie has 3 weapon tiers in the game:

Primary, where ammo is in abundance
Special, where ammo is more scarce
Heavy, where ammo is very rare

In PvP, elements don't mean anything.
In PvE however, they use elemental shields to make their enemies more difficult to kill. And part of the reason they're more difficult to kill is because your weapons with elements - specials and heavies - have less ammo. So your primary is good for unshielded enemies and trash mobs, but that Wizard needs a Fusion Rifle or Machine Gun, which you can't have out all the time.

That dynamic is cool.

Fatebringer and other elemental primaries broke that dynamic by giving you a weapon that could strip through shields AND had an abundance of ammo.

Everyone should understand this. Before Fatebringer's range was nerfed, there was no reason to use anything other than Fatebringer. Having such an obvious choice like that ain't cool.

But the element isn't the problem. When you take away Fatebringer's element, it's still a perfect Hand Cannon. Its base stats were ridiculous (it used to have 13 rounds for the new folks) and it had Outlaw and Firefly. That's god tier shit. When you take away Vision of Confluence's element, it's still a perfectly stable Scout Rifle and it was actually the meta weapon in Crucible after Autos were nerfed. Black Hammer - perfect Sniper. Gjallarhorn - perfect Rocket Launcher.

See a pattern?

All of these weapons were perfect and then putting an element on top made them OP by giving players an obvious choice. A weapon with no tradeoffs is an obvious choice.

An element on a weapon alone however does not make it OP or an obvious choice. Six Dreg Pride is a trash Hand Cannon that barely does anything in PvE, but when I had a Void one drop from Skolas it was my go to PvE Primary for a while. Take away its element and I don't want anything to do with it, but when I heard Skolas was passing out some elemental stuff I checked myself in to see what was up.

Why?

Because I'm playing end-game content to get a weapon - one I can not find anywhere else in the game - to offset that dynamic.

After all that effort, I expect to get some swiggity swooty loot. I want to shoot cool shit, because up to that point, I've been doing the vertical climb with guns that mostly behave the same from one another with slight variations in how well their perks compliment one another. Once I hit that horizontal climb of replaying the same content over and over (and over and over), I want to use a weapon that makes me play differently than how I'd been playing up to that point. For example, instead of only having two weapons to deal with the tough guys, now I have three. I conquered the end-game and now i'm a BAMF looking for more cool shit to shoot.

And that's part of the problem - there weren't really more. There were barely any elemental primaries, and of that pool most of them were garbage. The good ones however were perfect, and that's because of their stats combined with the element. When there is gold among coal, people will go to the gold.

The solution - I think Six Dreg Pride says it all. Don't discontinue elemental primaries, but rather stop making weapons with no tradeoffs (and also, stop giving them low drop rates; i'm not chasing after a doorstopper). Anything that has an element should have a significant tradeoff to balance it out, therefore preventing it from being an obvious choice. Would I run the Raid if that shitty Hand Cannon had Solar damage? Bet your ass I would, but would I use that gun 99% of the time? Hell naw.

Great write-up! I agree 100%.

I have a 312 Eirene and 314 1000 Yard and I prefer the Eirene in Trials. Only drawback is the low aim assist.

Eirene is awesome, used it almost exclusively for Trials. Even got a collateral with it.

I have a 312 Eirene and 314 1000 Yard and I prefer the Eirene in Trials. Only drawback is the low aim assist.

what roll does it have?

If I could get a Eirene with Faucon scope,Luck in the chamber, quickdraw and unflinching I would love it. :) is it even possible for an Eirene to have Faucon scope? :)

deadduck

yeah I have that one, its ok. It´s no 1000 yard stare with a good roll but still.

It has the impact of the 1kYrd but has really, really low aim assist. The thing people say they want, but always use a high AA sniper instead ;)

(I use aa dirty AA heavy 1kYrd with longview, guerilla and hidden hand)

E92 M3

It has the impact of the 1kYrd but has really, really low aim assist. The thing people say they want, but always use a high AA sniper instead ;)

I didn't notice any difference in AA between 1K and Eirene.

Oh well.

Deku Tree

Is there any reason to complete the Halloween quests?

It seems like all they do is give you more rare masks.. But you can just load up siege of the warmind and after 3 to 4 rounds grinding in that hallway you'll have enough in your bag for a new mask anyway, much quicker.

yeah I have 2 that I switch between.

Longview slr10, gurilla fighter, smallbore/perfect balance, unflinching.

or

Ambush, lifesupport, quickdraw, outlaw

HigXx

Anyone able to help me with the final part of exotic sword quest? The scrubs I matchmake with dont understand you have to wait to kill the Wardens

thuway

I don't understand how Bungie expects light level 300 people to get to 310 when they give you worthless garbage in the Raid.

Dead Orbit Rank 29 still no ship of any kind and still no bittersteel or nowhere as well as being a massive pain in the arse to rank, the smart loot (they definitely said it for factions) is most definitely not working, same with New Monarchy

A decision has been made and Blops 3 will be purchased Friday, beyond doing a few raids theres nothing left to do nor is it worth battling to get closer to 320 than 310

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Nightfall was crap again. 285 boots, 310 ghost and 18 strange coins. Won't be bothering in the future unless its a strike with specific loot like the Flayer cloaks or Darkblade helm.

thuway

Nightfall was crap again. 285 boots, 310 ghost and 18 strange coins. Won't be bothering in the future unless its a strike with specific loot like the Flayer cloaks or Darkblade helm.
They really need to do a better job or giving people things that worth getting.

Shito

Dead Orbit Rank 29 still no ship of any kind and still no bittersteel or nowhere as well as being a massive pain in the arse to rank, the smart loot (they definitely said it for factions) is most definitely not working, same with New Monarchy.
Faction ships were taken out of my version of the game, as far as I'm concerned.
They are but a collective joke everyone is trying to make on me...
Finally got Revenant the other day, at rank 35...

X-Frame

Shadowshot, target tracking, enhanced radar, shadestep, orb factory, invis smoke.

Nightstalker is love.

The Nightstalker really has amazing "neutral game". It is what I wished the Sunbreaker Titan would be, instead we got the opposite with so many of its perks directly boosting or affecting the super.

The Striker remains the Titan subclass with the strongest neutral game, and that is with an abysmal melee skill tree.

Kyoufu

Dead Orbit Rank 29 still no ship of any kind and still no bittersteel or nowhere as well as being a massive pain in the arse to rank, the smart loot (they definitely said it for factions) is most definitely not working, same with New Monarchy

A decision has been made and Blops 3 will be purchased Friday, beyond doing a few raids theres nothing left to do nor is it worth battling to get closer to 320 than 310

I got my ships around rank 35-39 on New Monarchy and Future War Cult. I'm sure you'll get yours soon.

Kwakye94

Neo Member
Has anybody ever got the same perk roll to two separate nodes before? I just got the fusion rifle Panta Rhei with two sets of kneepads as its rolls?

Taborcarn

After last night I'm suddenly swimming in Scout Rifles. I was already using Tlaloc and Hung Jury frequently, then from one Nightfall I both the Treads upon Stars and a 308 Last Extremity. Add to that the Suros ones from last Armsday and this morning, and I just decoded a blue engram into a Not Like the Others. Scouts for days!

Carbonox

If you're around 300 you're better off doing the hard raid up until daughters

I'd go as far as saying that if you're at the low end of the 300 spectrum you're golden for Hard Mode not including Oryx himself. I had no issues even with the Daughters at 302 give or take a level. Really easy Raid if you've got your wits about you....again not including Oryx. :p

Deku Tree

The discrimination against us under 310 folks tho :=.

HM KF is fine for a 300-310 in a GAF group up to Oryx, especially if your playing with other 305-310+ players.
And HM will give you much better drops. Avoid LFG if you don't have all the OP stuff yet.

E92 M3

Really wish I had something to sacrifice for my Sleeper Simulant. It is stuck at 298 and I really want to use it more.

AngerdX

Hmm probably should try and do HM KF and hope for some drops to push you to 310 or just above.

Also need to get my void exotic sword strike done should help i guess. :)

Pachimari

I'm gonna buy The Taken King today, but I have absolutely no friends who play Destiny. Is it possible, that I can play together with some of you, and get help from this community?

Here's the way I see it:

Bungie has 3 weapon tiers in the game:

Primary, where ammo is in abundance
Special, where ammo is more scarce
Heavy, where ammo is very rare

In PvP, elements don't mean anything.
In PvE however, they use elemental shields to make their enemies more difficult to kill. And part of the reason they're more difficult to kill is because your weapons with elements - specials and heavies - have less ammo. So your primary is good for unshielded enemies and trash mobs, but that Wizard needs a Fusion Rifle or Machine Gun, which you can't have out all the time.

That dynamic is cool.

Fatebringer and other elemental primaries broke that dynamic by giving you a weapon that could strip through shields AND had an abundance of ammo.

Everyone should understand this. Before Fatebringer's range was nerfed, there was no reason to use anything other than Fatebringer. Having such an obvious choice like that ain't cool.

But the element isn't the problem. When you take away Fatebringer's element, it's still a perfect Hand Cannon. Its base stats were ridiculous (it used to have 13 rounds for the new folks) and it had Outlaw and Firefly. That's god tier shit. When you take away Vision of Confluence's element, it's still a perfectly stable Scout Rifle and it was actually the meta weapon in Crucible after Autos were nerfed. Black Hammer - perfect Sniper. Gjallarhorn - perfect Rocket Launcher.

See a pattern?

All of these weapons were perfect and then putting an element on top made them OP by giving players an obvious choice. A weapon with no tradeoffs is an obvious choice.

An element on a weapon alone however does not make it OP or an obvious choice. Six Dreg Pride is a trash Hand Cannon that barely does anything in PvE, but when I had a Void one drop from Skolas it was my go to PvE Primary for a while. Take away its element and I don't want anything to do with it, but when I heard Skolas was passing out some elemental stuff I checked myself in to see what was up.

Why?

Because I'm playing end-game content to get a weapon - one I can not find anywhere else in the game - to offset that dynamic.

After all that effort, I expect to get some swiggity swooty loot. I want to shoot cool shit, because up to that point, I've been doing the vertical climb with guns that mostly behave the same from one another with slight variations in how well their perks compliment one another. Once I hit that horizontal climb of replaying the same content over and over (and over and over), I want to use a weapon that makes me play differently than how I'd been playing up to that point. For example, instead of only having two weapons to deal with the tough guys, now I have three. I conquered the end-game and now i'm a BAMF looking for more cool shit to shoot.

And that's part of the problem - there weren't really more. There were barely any elemental primaries, and of that pool most of them were garbage. The good ones however were perfect, and that's because of their stats combined with the element. When there is gold among coal, people will go to the gold.

The solution - I think Six Dreg Pride says it all. Don't discontinue elemental primaries, but rather stop making weapons with no tradeoffs (and also, stop giving them low drop rates; i'm not chasing after a doorstopper). Anything that has an element should have a significant tradeoff to balance it out, therefore preventing it from being an obvious choice. Would I run the Raid if that shitty Hand Cannon had Solar damage? Bet your ass I would, but would I use that gun 99% of the time? Hell naw.

Amen Twilight, Amen. We want to chase those Elemental Primaries. The moment I finally got my Solar Jewel, I was stoked out if my mind! It took so many Mercury trips and it made that chest very exciting. The only part that made me LOL was I got it on Xbox (Only went a few times) and not ps4 (main console, went a dozen times).

Even guns like Word of Crota, Abyss Defiant, basically anything NOT Fatebringer or VoC I'd use sometimes in certain situations for those burns. That's how it should be! It's Omnigul again, time to take our Abyss Defiant (when I get to her).

Fair Trade offs and balance. We need them back.

Being a BAMF after all the hours and effort we put is totally how it should be. Not OP, but still wrecking shit.

Kyoufu

I'm gonna buy The Taken King today, but I have absolutely no friends who play Destiny. Is it possible, that I can play together with some of you, and get help from this community?

Depends. If you buy it on PS4, sure.

If you buy it on Xbox then not so much.

PuMa

Are we talking elemental primaries again? Ho hum. I understand the two camps regarding this topic, and I'm firmly with Luke here. It would completely kill my drive to play if they brought back a suite of elemental primaries again. It severely limits the choices you have for viable primary weapons and lessens the importance of your special and heavy weapons. There are so many cool new legendaries out there that I feel I can use now. If we have elemental primaries it becomes no contest. Why even bother with a kinetic? I don't want that.

Top Bottom