• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

todd360

Dibs on Nami´s kid for refer-a-friend.

Now we just wait. C'mon Nami's girlfriend. We are waiting.

oRr9eNo.png

Top of the page baby making hype!

We should name her after a destiny character.

Edit: I just told my sister you were having a baby and she thought I meant the nami from one piece for a minute. lol

GlamFM

Banned
I'm scared. Wasn't expecting this at all

I'm 22 (turning 23 in 3 months) and I honestly wasn't planning to be a dad this early. My plan was to wait till my 30s before starting a family. That plan flew out the window.

How is the parent situation? Yours and hers - will they be around to help?

Plans chance, and you can´t plan a life to begin with..

I got the child getting timing down, I was 33 when my daughter was born, but I picked the wrong girl to have kids with.

I´m a single dad now, 37. Did not plan that.

But I´m gonna roll with it.

;)

<3

The1Ski

Merry Christmas!!!

Alright, I know it's been discussed in the past but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on The Taken King. I really liked Destiny but got burned out. I didn't get the first two expansions after the general consensus that they are over priced and lacking content.

Now I can get The Taken King with the first two expansions for about $30. My question is:

After a few months with The Taken King, what is Destiny doing better and why is it worth getting back into it? Bullet points would be fine!

I wanted to stop by and say Happy Holidays to everyone here at DGAF, I'll be back for Iron Banner. (Maybe) ;p

Edit: Congrats on becoming a dad Nami.

Merry xmas to everyone and grats to Nami on impending fatherhood.

Nice to see some good stuff from Xur which is becoming a rarity these days. Dem Bones look nice, gotta love that roll.

ocean

Banned
Alright, I know it's been discussed in the past but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on The Taken King. I really liked Destiny but got burned out. I didn't get the first two expansions after the general consensus that they are over priced and lacking content.

Now I can get The Taken King with the first two expansions for about $30. My question is:

After a few months with The Taken King, what is Destiny doing better and why is it worth getting back into it? Bullet points would be fine!
The game launched with (in my opinion) 3 main problems:

1. The economy designed expected you to play and replay the same content *far too much*. It's often been said that Destiny was short on content but tbh the campaign length was on par with most modern AAA FPS. The issue was that progressing required Legendary gear, which required very high reputation, which required running the same 5 Strikes dozens and dozens of times.
2. Mission design was absolutely ass tier. Even as someone who loves this game, there is truth to the haters' assertion that missions were ALL literally go here, Ghost scans while you shoot, move, Ghost scans while you shoot. So bad. Also, the dialogue is also comically terrible.
3. The lack of options to play with friends was suffocating. No custom games, no private matches, no split screen, no nothing. Have only 1 friend and want to play a Nightfall? Lol go online and find a stranger because fuck you. Have a bunch of friends online and want to set up teams? Lol what.

Whether the game has improved significantly since launch is not really up to much debate - it has. But whether coming back is worth it will depend a lot on what it is you were most bothered by. Because incredibly, some of these glaring oversights have not been and never will be addressed. Quick overview:

1. "No content" is a tired meme. Destiny+TDB+HoW+TTK is enormous. Like 2 dozen PvP maps, 12 (I think?) Strikes, 3 Raids, who knows how many story missions, a ton of cool Exotics... Tons to get, tons to do.
2. TTK has a "main campaign" and a "post campaign" called Taken Wars. The TTK main quest line is super short (3 hours I think?), but offers the best mission design and dialogue in the game. Cutscenes, new locales, narrative push to keep going etc.
3. The economy is still unnecessarily complicated but no longer as demanding as it was. You can now buy Legendaries with just Rank 1 at a faction, you gain Faction/Vanguard rep simultaneously, bounties are much easier, weapon parts and planetary materials are sold on the tower, Faction drops (shaders etc) now have reasonable drop rates, loot quality is smart and keeps you progressing until you're ready for endgame, upgrading fear is now a piece of cake, the list is huge.

That being said, clan integration is a joke (it means nothing more than a tag). Private games are still not offered. The game expects you to replay content over and over hoping for random chance to help you out. The most interesting content still requires you to look for Internet strangers if you don't have friends who play. It's probably the laggiest game ever shipped. Loading times are still too numerous and too long.

The game feel - shooting, movement -is still unparalleled in my opinion. It's what keeps me here despite some desing decisions which belie disdain for the player base or absolute cluelessness on many issues.

E92 M3

Yes.

Yesterday I had a rumble match where everyone in the lobby had over 2000 points. Sweaty as fuck.

Man, that blows. I have Halo 5 for sweaty matches. I am hoping it's literally just everyone playing SRL, but more and more it seems not.

The1Ski

The game launched with (in my opinion) 3 main problems:

1. The economy designed expected you to play and replay the same content *far too much*. It's often been said that Destiny was short on content but tbh the campaign length was on par with most modern AAA FPS. The issue was that progressing required Legendary gear, which required very high reputation, which required running the same 5 Strikes dozens and dozens of times.
2. Mission design was absolutely ass tier. Even as someone who loves this game, there is truth to the haters' assertion that missions were ALL literally go here, Ghost scans while you shoot, move, Ghost scans while you shoot. So bad. Also, the dialogue is also comically terrible.
3. The lack of options to play with friends was suffocating. No custom games, no private matches, no split screen, no nothing. Have only 1 friend and want to play a Nightfall? Lol go online and find a stranger because fuck you. Have a bunch of friends online and want to set up teams? Lol what.

Whether the game has improved significantly since launch is not really up to much debate - it has. But whether coming back is worth it will depend a lot on what it is you were most bothered by. Because incredibly, some of these glaring oversights have not been and never will be addressed. Quick overview:

1. "No content" is a tired meme. Destiny+TDB+HoW+TTK is enormous. Like 2 dozen PvP maps, 12 (I think?) Strikes, 3 Raids, who knows how many story missions, a ton of cool Exotics... Tons to get, tons to do.
2. TTK has a "main campaign" and a "post campaign" called Taken Wars. The TTK main quest line is super short (3 hours I think?), but offers the best mission design and dialogue in the game. Cutscenes, new locales, narrative push to keep going etc.
3. The economy is still unnecessarily complicated but no longer as demanding as it was. You can now buy Legendaries with just Rank 1 at a faction, you gain Faction/Vanguard rep simultaneously, bounties are much easier, weapon parts and planetary materials are sold on the tower, Faction drops (shaders etc) now have reasonable drop rates, loot quality is smart and keeps you progressing until you're ready for endgame, upgrading fear is now a piece of cake, the list is huge.

That being said, clan integration is a joke (it means nothing more than a tag). Private games are still not offered. The game expects you to replay content over and over hoping for random chance to help you out. The most interesting content still requires you to look for Internet strangers if you don't have friends who play. It's probably the laggiest game ever shipped. Loading times are still too numerous and too long.

The game feel - shooting, movement -is still unparalleled in my opinion. It's what keeps me here despite some desing decisions which belie disdain for the player base or absolute cluelessness on many issues.

Big thanks for the great response! From what I gather, the grind is still real (as is expected with this type of game, and not necessarily a bad thing) but there is more variety/means of grinding. Is this pretty accurate?

stay gold

Merry Xmas Dgaf!

Just got back from doing the xmas rounds and logged on for a game of crucible. The gf got me a new DS4 and suddenly my Last Word connects every single time, should be a fun month or 2 before the triggers wear out again :(

ocean

Banned
Yes.

Yesterday I had a rumble match where everyone in the lobby had over 2000 points. Sweaty as fuck.
Just had one of these, felt so good. Wasn't laggy, I wasn't dominated by a pro but didn't wipe the floor with noobs either. It's that rare instance where connection cooperates and you have a full lobby of people of similar skill level, everyone trying their best for the W.

God damn this was refreshing. If only this kind of match were consistently the Crucible experience I'd develop crack addiction to this thing.

Rehsa

To those who celebrate, Merry Christmas! May this next year be filled with many RNG &RL blessings to you all.

edit: dang. i want dat mug.
with my name on it, doe

edit2:
finally got bones, year 2 armamentarium, MIDA and RAM. Merry Xurmas!
May RNGesus bless you as well! I was pretty shocked by it. Wife had a girl in the neighborhood powder spray it for her, can't wait to use it.
I wish I had the coins to buy all of Xurs stock :/ can buy two armors only

How is the parent situation? Yours and hers - will they be around to help?

Plans chance, and you can´t plan a life to begin with..

I got the child getting timing down, I was 33 when my daughter was born, but I picked the wrong girl to have kids with.

I´m a single dad now, 37. Did not plan that.

But I´m gonna roll with it.

;)

<3
Shit, I wish I were a single dad. How'd you do it? ;)

Bought the disc a few days ago. Been playing from it ever since until I decided to get the DLC.

Realised there was no add-on, and that the DLC was bundled with the game. So I repurchased the game digitally.

Then I'm told to delete the disc-based version and re-download the millions of terabytes to replay this lol.

This better be worth it.

daedalius

The PS4 sticks feel real nice. First underleveled rumble match and I go 22-9, no skills is pretty rough.

Best place to get coins? I'd really love to have the armentarium and mida on this new character.

Namikaze1

Just now noticed I got a year one Dragon's Breath in my Titan's inventory. Must have dropped from Deathsinger last night though I don't recall seeing any drop notifications on my screen.

Then again, I was a bit drunk.

Top Bottom