• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Arrrammis

Dgaf... please stop fighting :(

Here's my opinion on year 1 vs. year 2:
Year 1 had:
-Dinklebot
-DLC with raids/more endgame activities
-raid gear which is extremely hard to get, level 30 players are regarded highly because the had to work really hard for it
-faster paced crucible
-better variety of weapons, there was no weapon class that was totally underpowered (not used? sure, but not underpowered)
-Overall, content aimed at the hardcore players, hard for casual players to reach endgame and complete everything
Year 2 had:
-Nolandroid
-Much better story with expansion on characters and personality
-a few small piece of content that were different from most things that we had seen before (SRL, Festival of Light, Valentines day doubles)
-quest system which gave people a reason to play activities like patrol or different crucible modes
-Revamp of older enemy types to force players to adapt and rethink strategies
-variations of strikes for more replayability
-Weekly crucible bounties to give PvP'ers an equivalent to the nightfall rewards
-Slower, more planned crucible/lots of sniper domination
-Infusion system which meant that anyone can use their favorite gear and still be top level
-Insanely high drop rates and armor drops at near max light, reaching the light cap is possible without ever running anything in the endgame.
-Aimed more at the casual player base, allowing everyone to reach the upper light levels much easier and using their favorite gear.

I believe that year 1 was better for PvP, while year 2 was better for PvE. Ligth level was much more of an accomplishment in year 1, it was just super easy to get to light level 300+ in year 2 while in year 1 hitting level 28-29 was pretty huge, and level 30 was really impressive.

Soooooooooooooooooooooo....... I'm off for vacation tomorrow.

Sun
Beach
Sea
Foodz
Drinkz
Relaxation
etc.

See ya in ~3 weeks everyone! Behave and be excellent to each other! <3

Comms

Neo Member
Soooooooooooooooooooooo....... I'm off for vacation tomorrow.

Sun
Beach
Sea
Foodz
Drinkz
Relaxation
etc.

See ya in ~3 weeks everyone! Behave and be excellent to each other! <3

Before you go, can I get you to sign a disclaimer saying it's not my fault if we are not excellent to each other? You just never know these days. :)

Good riddance to sniper shotguns and Thorn tbh.

No one, not even breezy(?) wants shot package back. And Thorn is no longer the weapon everyone whines about.

Slower TTK is waaay better. I don't like pvp shooters where you're dead just because the other player spots you first

I agree with Frenden's rebuttal...

The OG ttk during HoW was still slower than, say, CoD. I prefer that to what we have now, which feels about one shot too slow in many primary archetypes.

I don't like insta kills ala CoD, but I'm not crazy about how much the game has slowed either. I feel like HoW (minus Thorn and TLW ADS bonus damage glitches) was peak Destiny PvP.

Strong primaries keep secondaries in check. Weak primaries lead to a meta of hardscopers and shotties without hard counters. (The the recent TLW buff has restored some of its ability to take down shotties if you are smart about baiting them and backpedalling.)
#strongprimaries

I wish Bungie focused more on countering with their balance. Doctrines and Eyaslunas that shred rushing shotgunners and MIDA and Covalances that stagger hard scopers. All without relying on RNG giving you god rolls.

I dont hate Destiny and youll never find me say anything like that.(what I have disliked are the balance decisions, mainly the removal of elemental primaries and the pvp/pve being balanced together)

And my love for Thorn can topple nations.
Dude, you've played 500 matches in PVP and spew paragraphs of vitriol about it, and I've played over 5,500 and I'm still considered a PVP noob. It's time for you to just stop talking about PvP (and really, Destiny.)

Dude, you've played 500 matches in PVP and spew paragraphs of vitriol about it, and I've played over 5,500 and I'm still considered a PVP noob. It's time for you to just stop talking about PvP (and really, Destiny.)

So antagonizing! What's next, 'You can't criticize movies until you've made movies!'

I didn't know there was an arbitrary number of matches played required in order to be able to comment about PvP.

Seriously, people can criticize a game whether they've played 10 hours or 100 hours. I guess there's some fans of Destiny that dislike that but, you know, it's all opinions, trying to squelch someone's just because you think they haven't 'played enough' or aren't currently playing is sad.

GunnerZ

Finally someone did it's about time.

So antagonizing! What's next, 'You can't criticize movies until you've made movies!'

I didn't know there was an arbitrary number of matches played required in order to be able to comment about PvP.

Seriously, people can criticize a game whether they've played 10 hours or 100 hours. I guess there's some fans of Destiny that dislike that but, you know, it's all opinions, trying to squelch someone's just because you think they haven't 'played enough' or aren't currently playing is sad.
No, of course there's no minimum to be able to comment. There is a minimum to take up 10% of an OT with hateful rants, and I and many others would say you haven't hit it.

No, of course there's no minimum to be able to comment. There is a minimum to take up 10% of an OT with hateful rants, and I and many others would say you haven't hit it.

Uhuh. If you and others had your way, people wouldn't be able to comment without having played a certain amount and/or be currently playing.

Yeah, I disagree with Bungies balance. I keep up to date with it, and I voice my disagreements(Or as of lately, my enjoyment of the GI updates). Simply put, it's toxic that people(Whether it's NeO, Durden, or I guess you?) come out and say 'Do you even play? When was the last time you played? How many hours do you have in PvP?' to squelch a conversation.

It's sad. It really is. Like I said, I tend to have an abrasive opinion here and there, but that's because I actually like the game. And I think it's going in a good direction with the GI Updates. If you dislike me being critical(or, talking about the Thorn, the most balanced gun in the game), then that's fine. But don't come in saying I shouldn't comment because I haven't passed your threshold of matches played.

Trakan

Quick, how do I check how many matches I've played?

I bitch about stuff all the time, lol. :p

Arrrammis

Man, I wish I hadn't seen the mission at the peak, that would have been awesome to go into spontaneously. I think I might have to go media blackout at this point :/

SO HYPED THOUGH

ACR0019

Uhuh. If you and others had your way, people wouldn't be able to comment without having played a certain amount and/or be currently playing.

Yeah, I disagree with Bungies balance. I keep up to date with it, and I voice my disagreements(Or as of lately, my enjoyment of the GI updates). Simply put, it's toxic that people(Whether it's NeO, Durden, or I guess you?) come out and say 'Do you even play? When was the last time you played? How many hours do you have in PvP?' to squelch a conversation.

It's sad. It really is. Like I said, I tend to have an abrasive opinion here and there, but that's because I actually like the game. And I think it's going in a good direction with the GI Updates. If you dislike me being critical(or, talking about the Thorn, the most balanced gun in the game), then that's fine. But don't come in saying I shouldn't comment because I haven't passed your threshold of matches played.

Have you ever thought about how your "abrasive" opinion might be the problem with how people interact with you? Following your posts over the past few pages, it seems like you like to troll people with a tongue-in-cheek tone then you turn frustrated when people treat your tone as just being an ass to get a rise out of people on here. Idk man, it just seems like you are writing in two different tones and you get frustrated when people can't see the difference. If you want people to take your opinion seriously, make a claim using facts to back up your points. By a lot of your posts, all you're here to do is troll others and goad them into getting mad about some troll thing you said.

/rant

Have you ever thought about how your "abrasive" opinion might be the problem with how people interact with you? Following your posts over the past few pages, it seems like you like to troll people with a tongue-in-cheek tone then you turn frustrated when people treat your tone as just being an ass to get a rise out of people on here. Idk man, it just seems like you are writing in two different tones and you get frustrated when people can't see the difference. If you want people to take your opinion seriously, make a claim using facts to back up your points. By a lot of your posts, all you're here to do is troll others and goad them into getting mad about some troll thing you said.

/rant

I freely switch between posts done in jest, and serious posts. Like earlier, where NeO took my reply to Trout(About leaving Y2 weapons behind) seriously. usually when I'm talking about the Thorn(or replying about the Thorn) I tend to be sarcastic and type in jest(Or post short stories involving the Thorn/Describing the Thorn). Edit: Trout in this case, said he could beat the Thorn with his Y2 hand Cannon. So then I replied 'They should leave Y2 weapons behind"(Again, it's funny, it's me admitting that a Y2 hand cannon can beat the Thorn, and that leaving Y2 weapons behind would mean the Thorn would remain strong. I hate explaining why I something is humorous.)

And if someone disagrees with my critique, feel free to respond to it. But when someone dismisses what is said with 'Do you even play'(Which is definitely more inflammatory then my posts done in jest, such as my "I think the Thorn is perfectly balanced" post), then I can tell that they're being serious.

But like I said, if you disagree with a critique, feel free to respond. I enjoy conversations about the games balance. But when you come in questioning whether I play, or how many matches I have, then that's when I turn to responses which do employ a tongue in cheek style.

zewone

j7meX99.jpg

I like that they're adding useful perks to Artifacts now. They're not just an extra slot anymore.

Yup, that's the biggest thing that does it for me. I can't wait to see what else they have in store for the future of artifacts. I wonder if there will be Raid artifacts they haven't shown yet..

spyder_ur

Some of those setpieces look really cool (the video is slightly spoilery if you care about that).

I like that they're adding useful perks to Artifacts now. They're not just an extra slot anymore.

It's nice in that way sure - they were a bit of a half-baked idea - but honestly this seems like a balancing nightmare to me. Based on what I've read, those perks seem up there if not better than exotic armor perks. Unlimited sprint with shotguns? Super charging faster just standing near allies?

I'll wait to judge until I see them in practice though.

It's nice in that way sure - they were a bit of a half-baked idea - but honestly this seems like a balancing nightmare to me. Based on what I've read, those perks seem up there if not better than exotic armor perks. Unlimited sprint with shotguns? Super charging faster just standing near allies?

It's the Diablo 3 way of balancing. Granted, Diablo 3 is mainly PvE, so PvP will definitely be...interesting. But if there's enough checks and balances for the artifacts(IE the Third Eye artifact could counter the sprinting artifact, if only because you can aim your own gun in the direction of a sprinter and keep a bead on them)

Some of those setpieces look really cool (the video is slightly spoilery if you care about that).

In PvP hopefully good fireteams will divvy out roles that counter. Someone who can spot full supers, someone who can charge team supers, etc - not sure if that's practical, but I can see some next level teamwork happening.

spyder_ur

It's the Diablo 3 way of balancing. Granted, Diablo 3 is mainly PvE, so PvP will definitely be...interesting. But if there's enough checks and balances for the artifacts(IE the Third Eye artifact could counter the sprinting artifact, if only because you can aim your own gun in the direction of a sprinter and keep a bead on them)

In PvP hopefully good fireteams will divvy out roles that counter. Someone who can spot full supers, someone who can charge team supers, etc - not sure if that's practical, but I can see some next level teamwork happening.

You both raise cool points and the artifact perks are definitely interesting, but your points are also why I'm worried. Basically introducing another whole element to matches. Like I said, we'll see.

Trace

Banned
God I hope they bring back Vanilla Thorn.

Nerf specials and bring back usable primaries that aren't MIDA pls Bungie.

Arrrammis

Did you quote the wrong post? :p

Is the CoE card duo-able or do we need a 3rd to get 30k points?

You should be able to get 30k points with two people easily, just clear out all of the adds, then damage the boss until the next wave spawns, then clear adds again. Makes sure you're getting kills with whatever the bonus point modifier is (melees/grenades/primary weapon kills), and you should be able to hit 30k handily.

You both raise cool points and the artifact perks are definitely interesting, but your points are also why I'm worried. Basically introducing another whole element to matches. Like I said, we'll see.

For PvE, it'd be completely fine if they went wild.

For PvP though...thats where things get trickier when it comes to balance. Obviously seeing the artifacts they had shown, some are catered more towards PvP than PvE, and vice versa. But, I think Iron Banner/Trials might have their own artifacts attached to them that are specific for PvP, as well as the Raid/PvE content having artifacts exclusively acquired through those modes that are catered towards PvE.

Like...it depends on whether there's more artifacts than they've currently shown. The optimist in me says that Bungie wouldn't blow their load early and already show off all the artifacts there are to earn~

I'd say get worried if these are the only artifacts in the games.

Perma-sliding sounds like it will be a thing...

Video was definitely legit - I'm surprised how much they are revealing in the GI coverage (as opposed to their own twitch streams). Video showed/confirmed:-

1. There is a mission to clear the social space - Felwinter's peak
2. The new social space IS Felwinter's peak
3. New vendors and quest givers - Tyra Banks and Someone called Shiro 4 something
4. The forging of Ghorn
5. The missions, and raid, will involve carrying orbs like TTK does
6. There is a mission outside the wall in the original D1 spawn area
7. Various guns and armour
8. The flaming hammer in action - there is an AoE ground pound
9. Saladin will be in Felwinters peak
10. Each artifact allows you to "kindle" a flame at the corresponding statue in the spooky statue room
11. The cover page of the RoI progress book
12. Wolf spawn pattern will be the new pidgeon spawn meme - this is totally awesome!!
13. RoI cover page is labelled "Year 3" - so we ARE in year 3 after all!
14. Arc version of the HoW blaster cannon
15. They show you a panorama of the plaguelands.
16. There is a "ride the gondola and shoot stuff" mission - looks cool

That's off the top of my head from one watch through

Edit - added 13-16 from a second watch through

Just bought Destiny Legendary (along with my new PS4).

My previous Destiny experience was achieving level 19 prior to the first expansion release. I played that over a year ago.

I guess I'm in for a treat.

You do know that none of those were viable at the same time right, except for the exoctic hand cannons. Mythoclast was viable for only a few weeks. Devil You Know & Shadow Price were fun but never the top-tier meta. There was no reason to use them over the exotic hand cannons.

I'm not sure how much Year 2 you've actually played. Doctrine of Passing is an autorifle and was legit top-tier, able to unseat TLW even. Hand Cannons have made a major comeback since April, with Eyasluna and Finnela's Peril being popular and strong choices. Even Universal Remote is a top-tier choice, which anyone in Year 1 would laugh their ass off at.

Trials of Osiris' Top Guns for July
1) Hand Cannon
2) Scout Rifle
3) Pulse Rifle
4) Auto Rifle
5) Universal Remote

That's literally every weapon class. You know what's not on that list? PDX & Hawksaw. MIDA is #2, but guess what, the last week of July it dropped to #5.

So many guns are viable now. And 6s has even more guns that pop-up, like Answering Chord, Colovalence's Duty, Bad Juju, No Land Beyond, etc.

Year 2 is definitely slower than Year 1, and I get a lot of people don't like that. But year 2 being less diverse than Year 1 is plainly untrue.

(also, your statement that all guns should be viable at all distances is not how the Destiny sandbox has ever worked.)

Late but thank you. My thoughts exactly and reasoning for questioning those posts.

Top Bottom