• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

FyreWulff

I still remember Uncharted giving away it's multiplayer for free on PS3.

I still didn't see anyone play it. That always seemed like a story/solo campaign franchise to me. Same with Tomb Raider.

Number45

It's why I've always played the games, but quite a lot of people played UC2 MP that I know. I played a little of the co-op... in fact I actually completed the UC3 MP trophies by using a second controller. #billynomates

They're both totally different games.

Yeah, I acknowledged that.

Both games have gunplay so I think there's room for comparison despite them both being two different genres.

I'm not saying UC4 is a bad game by any means.

But, having played so much Destiny, I am taken back when guns and shooting mechanics don't feel the same even in a TPS.

Edit: This post is more about clarification of my original post. By comparison, that one has a rude drive by feeling to it. Please know I am not trying offend. I appreciate you challenging the idea, because, even clarified it's still a bit silly to compare them. Trust me, I know :)

I used to feel the same

What has changed since then for you?

KemoSabe

I really have the itch to play destiny now.
Problem is, i only got the Vanilla Version not ttk and it costs about 99€ digital.

Can I still start with this Version or do I have to buy ttk?

Edit: i mean the xbone Version if that matters.

I really have the itch to play destiny now.
Problem is, i only got the Vanilla Version not ttk and it costs about 99€ digital.

Can I still start with this Version or do I have to buy ttk?

Edit: i mean the xbone Version if that matters.

Just buy TTK retail, you could probably grab it for 30 euros now

What has changed since then for you?

Destiny is Fast, tight, and I'm sure if I played it now I'd get back into it. It's just that the systems surrounding them didn't do it for me. I'd love to play Destiny more, but everything surrounding it doesn't do it for me.

Even now I'm not looking forward to the next expansion or whatever, despite knowing that I would be able to play the game some more without feeling 'guilty' about it. It's weird.

tl;dr:The shooting is great, but at the same time I just don't feel like coming back to it.

Destiny is Fast, tight, and I'm sure if I played it now I'd get back into it. It's just that the systems surrounding them didn't do it for me. I'd love to play Destiny more, but everything surrounding it doesn't do it for me.

Even now I'm not looking forward to the next expansion or whatever, despite knowing that I would be able to play the game some more without feeling 'guilty' about it. It's weird.

tl;dr:The shooting is great, but at the same time I just don't feel like coming back to it.

I get it. I have felt like that about other games before too. Hopefully, the good will outweigh the bad for you in the next DLC drop. I am always optimistic for the future!

I too want to live in a world where shotguns are awesome in PvE again.

The are sunsingers OP argument has moved on with the new argument du jour being Shotgunners v Snipers which takes more skill

Being a shotgunner but having previously sniped, i'd say shotgunning takes more skill. You have to be much more map aware as you're constantly moving around looking for a pick instead of sitting at the back of the map hardscoping a lane/doorway with your aimbot

X-Frame

The are sunsingers OP argument has moved on with the new argument du jour being Shotgunners v Snipers which takes more skill

Being a shotgunner but having previously sniped, i'd say shotgunning takes more skill. You have to be much more map aware as you're constantly moving around looking for a pick instead of sitting at the back of the map hardscoping a lane/doorway with your aimbot

The always-on radar also works against shotgunning but greatly helps sniping. Quickly de-scoping to instantly see if anyone is sneaking up on you, then back to hard-scoping vs. having to close distance and flank individuals/teams all while they can see you the entire time on their radar.

Inferno spoiled me. I wish the radar was always off.

Deku Tree

giphy.gif

Nice gif Jon!

bitsurugi

I know Destiny is an FPS and UC4 is a TPS but man...nothing feels as good as Destiny.

Hey! I didn't write a long time (been reading a lot though), but i have to break my silence to say i totally agree with the above statement.

Destiny, as much as i know its every last flaw, it's still amazing for the time we've put into this game and i am pretty sure, it will be really hard for any other game, to suck me into it as much as Destiny did.

Sure, other games seem better and maybe ARE better... for a few hours/days/weeks. But Destiny felt good for a year and more.... despite the ''oh so many'' flaws we all know.

Waldini

So ... yesterday was great.

After a short break in PvP I deciced the re-join my party-members. Unfortunatly, I got placed on the other team. Yes, I was playing against 5 other Guardians who work great as a team.

After about 5 minutes in, a guy in the party says : "Nice! A 15 kill-streak! You are almost Unbroken! Stay in the back of the map..." Now, here comes the funny part. I had no fucking idea what Unbroken ment (until today). I was thinking ... "What is Unbroken? O well, lets go hunt and kill the twat".

When the guy said he was in the back of the map I started pushing up. There he was. The poor ol' Hunter. In full Blade-Dancer mode. He takes out two of my team-mates and turns his attention to me. At this point I still had no idea what Unbroken ment to him ... but o boy, I was about to find out.

*INSERT TITAN-SMASH TO THE FACE HERE*

After about 0.0001 seconds he starts cursing at me. Calls me all sorts of names. Insults everyone I know and more. Hell, he even starts insulting my pets. Now, he refuses to even talk to me. Because, apparently, Unbroken means the WORLD to him. He has been trying to get this medal for 2-fucking-years and I robbed him. Again, I didn't know what Unbroken ment. Nor how (or why) you'd get it.

I feel dirty after this. Really dirty. If I knew what Unbroken was (I'm not a PvP player, hell ... I barely play PvP unless it's with friends) I would not have taken him out.

Well... GAF ... am I forever lost in time? #sadbutfeelsgoodman

What is with the lvl 40 legendary items I have that are only 3 defense?

If you like how they look, infuse a higher defense item into them to make them useful.

They are from the treasure boxes-- everyone gets one a week, and two more can be had for free from doing specific things. You can also buy them using Destiny's fake currency which you buy with real money.

E92 M3

My Warlock and Titan are at 320. This new infusion system is a pleasure compared to what we had. I surpassed my Xbox characters under 2 weeks.

WipedOut

Shit is good, they better not make it worse in Fall again lol.

I can't see them reversing these changes, people are finally happey with most of the game. The only negatives that seem to come up now are PVP Lag, boring PVP weapons and PVE Nerfs. (#makeshotgunsgreatagain)

The QoL hasn't been this good since HoW era. Only thing left that I can think of is to reduce cost of Heavy Ammo (Still think it's too much $$) and allow us to buy armor parts.

Jafku

I can't see them reversing these changes, people are finally happey with most of the game. The only negatives that seem to come up now is PVP Lag, boring PVP weapons and PVE Nerfs. (#makeshotgunsgreatagain)

The QoL hasn't been this good since HoW era. Only thing left that I can think of is to reduce cost of Heavy Ammo (Still think it's too much $$) and allow us to buy armor parts.
yeah

Matty8787

If you like how they look, infuse a higher defense item into them to make them useful.

They are from the treasure boxes-- everyone gets one a week, and two more can be had for free from doing specific things. You can also buy them using Destiny's fake currency which you buy with real money.

Ok cool thanks.

Not looked into infusing yet so that is a new thing for me to try later.

E92 M3

I can't see them reversing these changes, people are finally happey with most of the game. The only negatives that seem to come up now are PVP Lag, boring PVP weapons and PVE Nerfs. (#makeshotgunsgreatagain)

Armor parts has to happen, I don't see why not. No reason to sell weapon parts and not armor.

stay gold

So ... yesterday was great.

After a short break in PvP I deciced the re-join my party-members. Unfortunatly, I got placed on the other team. Yes, I was playing against 5 other Guardians who work great as a team.

After about 5 minutes in, a guy in the party says : "Nice! A 15 kill-streak! You are almost Unbroken! Stay in the back of the map..." Now, here comes the funny part. I had no fucking idea what Unbroken ment (until today). I was thinking ... "What is Unbroken? O well, lets go hunt and kill the twat".

When the guy said he was in the back of the map I started pushing up. There he was. The poor ol' Hunter. In full Blade-Dancer mode. He takes out two of my team-mates and turns his attention to me. At this point I still had no idea what Unbroken ment to him ... but o boy, I was about to find out.

*INSERT TITAN-SMASH TO THE FACE HERE*

After about 0.0001 seconds he starts cursing at me. Calls me all sorts of names. Insults everyone I know and more. Hell, he even starts insulting my pets. Now, he refuses to even talk to me. Because, apparently, Unbroken means the WORLD to him. He has been trying to get this medal for 2-fucking-years and I robbed him. Again, I didn't know what Unbroken ment. Nor how (or why) you'd get it.

I feel dirty after this. Really dirty. If I knew what Unbroken was (I'm not a PvP player, hell ... I barely play PvP unless it's with friends) I would not have taken him out.

Well... GAF ... am I forever lost in time? #sadbutfeelsgoodman

That's hilarious, you're a true Titan.

X-Frame

Personally hitting max Light quickly doesn't mean anything to me, it's all about getting gear with the perks I want -- and there is A LOT of RNG in armor now.

I so wish Destiny took a page from Diablo 3 where we can select 1 column only to re-roll. For example, gloves that came with your ideal INT DISC STR distribution, increased grenade throw distance, but Sidearm Reloader (boooo).

If that was the armor look you wanted plus had almost all the perks, it's still just as much Junk. If we could re-roll that Reloader column, or the Stat column, I'd be in heaven.

Homeboyd

Get rid of the exotic shard bottleneck for infusion. Most limiting shit in the game for me atm. No I don't have an exotic heavy to farm. Still, that barrier shouldn't exist.

Trakan

I know Destiny is an FPS and UC4 is a TPS but man...nothing feels as good as Destiny.

I've always felt the Uncharted games were really lacking in the combat department. Is Uncharted 4 the same? I bought it but haven't played it yet.

I'd bet money on it changing. It's way too easy to level up right now, I just can't see them keeping it this way with a brand new expansion. There's also completely different teams working on all the different expansions which is why all of them felt so different.

Plus c'mon, this is Bungie, they'll find a way to mess it up. :p

Shit is good, they better not make it worse in Fall again lol.

I'm almost certain they will. The pattern is too clear, introduce new content with a long tail grind...spend a few months making it a little better (dark below andor challenge mode) then towards the end of the year take the brakes off and let people grind for stats and rolls rather than light level.

WipedOut

I've always felt the Uncharted games were really lacking in the combat department. Is Uncharted 4 the same? I bought it but haven't played it yet.

I'd bet money on it changing. It's way too easy to level up right now, I just can't see them keeping it this way with a brand new expansion. There's also completely different teams working on all the different expansions which is why all of them felt so different.

Plus c'mon, this is Bungie, they'll find a way to mess it up. :p

i%20dont%20believe%20you_zpscn1bhq2n.gif

Trakan

So the loot will remain this generous and always be within 6 light levels the way it currently is?

Do you think you'll be able to bring all armor/weapons forward if they keep the infusion system? There was a hard reset for TTK leaving a bunch of items in Y1, but with infusion around and it staying, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to level up all your existing gear then.

I just can't see them not introducing a new system with a new expansion logo on new items and leaving a bunch of stuff behind for Y3. That way they can drip feed exotics and pretend like they're new again.

I only played about 3 hours so far but it feels improved. I could be swayed by how great it looks though. Hardest thing to get used to is reload being triangle. I may look into remapping the controls.

But god damn if ND doesn't nail the story and keep surprising you at every corner. So far it feels like UC2/TLoU level for me... Which is fucking great.

WipedOut

So the loot will remain this generous and always be within 6 light levels the way it currently is?

Do you think you'll be able to bring all armor/weapons forward if they keep the infusion system? There was a hard reset for TTK leaving a bunch of items in Y1, but with infusion around and it staying, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to level up all your existing gear then.

I just can't see them not introducing a new system with a new expansion logo on new items and leaving a bunch of stuff behind for Y3. That way they can drip feed exotics and pretend like they're new again.

I was being sarcastic, I don't have a problem with them leaving stuff behind as long as they leave the system as is. I would like them to get rid of LL on Ghosts, artifacts and class items however.

Hedera

Armor materials have been the struggle for me. I must have thought I had an unlimited supply at the launch of the April update cause I was infusing like a mad person. It was when I had to transfer some from other characters that I noticed a very low stock of these things. Wish I could buy them like weapon parts.

WipedOut

Armor materials have been the struggle for me. I must have thought I had an unlimited supply at the launch of the April update cause I was infusing like a mad person. It was when I had to transfer some from other characters that I noticed a very low stock of these things. Wish I could buy them like weapon parts.

Court of Oryx is your source for this stuff, good way to burn off reciprocal runes. Run that for a bit and you will be swimming in them

Hedera

Court of Oryx is your source for this stuff, good way to burn off reciprocal runes. Run that for a bit and you will be swimming in them
Yeah, I checked reddit for some tips on getting them and a lot of people suggest that too. Little time to farm for stuff atm though.

Homeboyd

Damn, Homey has 3x 335 LOL beats me already. I only have 3x 334 at best.
Well I do have 2 titans so I cheated. Also my scrublock is one of those "could be 335 but not with gear I want to use" type of things so I usually run him at around 333-334. I actually prefer running everything at 334 instead of 335 for the drops. Much better luck getting 335 drops while at 334 than at 335 total LL (for me anyways).

Well I do have 2 titans so I cheated. Also my scrublock is one of those "could be 335 but not with gear I want to use" type of things so I usually run him at around 333-334. I actually prefer running everything at 334 instead of 335 for the drops. Much better luck getting 335 drops while at 334 than at 335 total LL (for me anyways).

Ahh that's right, well still, 2x!

Yea, I hear that for most people too. I hate getting 334 drops even @ 334.

WipedOut

Untrue and unfounded, I ran 2 x 335 last night and almost every drop except 2 were 335. It's pure RNG.

FyreWulff

They're almost certainly going to use expansions/years to age out old gear and guns. It's standard MMO design and Bungie has been using it since the Dark Below. HoW just retroactively undid it because HoW was the point they switched from being DLC-crunch-release base to Year X based. It's been a while but everyone has forgotten that Dark Below retired all vanilla gear the day it came out, besides the exotics Xur had upgrades for.

The reason the expansions felt different is because they were direct reactions to the previous releases. Bungie knew fairly quickly the DB Xur exotic upgrade mechanic went over like a lead balloon, so they ripped it out and replaced it with ascension. They knew people felt like they had to burn a bunch of mats until they got god rolls which homogenized the player base too much, so they removed universal re-rolling on guns. They figured out people felt forced to hold onto stepping-stone guns and armor for infusion, so they made it 1:1. They're quite reactive and are willing to throw something out if it doesn't pan out.

Top Bottom