• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Dave_6

What are the first two scopes and the bottom perk in the middle column? Life support + Injection Mold + Hidden Hand is fantastic. Personally I'm not a fan of Ambush but some people like it. If it has Shortgaze on the second scope then I will be hella jelly....

No shortgaze :( First scope is Hawkeye maybe? I've never been a good PvP sniper though but I still want to get better. I'll log on in a bit and see what that bottom perk is since I can't remember now.

WeTeHa

Look at this guy. It's not enough to have a god-roll PvP sniper, now he's asking for a PvE one to match. I'll never have a god-roll anything ;_;
I'm greedy ._. And I'd rather have good pve gear than good pvp gear as that is where I spend most of my time :p
I was really lucky with my first ever Y2 LDR I got last week.

Eagleeye/Longview20/Ambush
Triple Tap
Perfect Balance/Rifled/Casket
Outlaw

Damn, I'm jealous.

Trakan

Man I'm still playing the stupid cryptarch lottery hoping for my perfect pve sniper roll.

I'd love triple tap + casket mag + firefly/outlaw//spray&play/unflinching.

with triple tap and casket mag you'd be able to fire of 7 shots before reloading.

For PVE I use the old vendor 1K with triple tap and mulligan. If you have ammo perks, reload after triple tap activates, and hit all your shots you get close to the old ammo reserve of 24 shots.

WeTeHa

I deleted one with ShortGaze, Triple Tap, Casket and Firefly

What the what what? butwhy.jpg

For PVE I use the old vendor 1K with triple tap and mulligan. If you have ammo perks, reload after triple tap activates, and hit all your shots you get close to the old ammo reserve of 24 shots.

Yeah I have one with triple tap as well, but 7 shots before reloading would just be too good. I mean, I don't really need the roll, but it's nice to have a goal. And what else is there to do with legendary marks? I have 600-1000 materials of everything in my vault and bought every useful vendor weapon.

Mindlog

I believe Vertigo might be the best map for 6s :F
It's one of the few maps where A/C is more fun to hold than B. Thinking it was control I entered an in progress clash match and played the most lame style imaginable. I basically camped C, went relentless and we came back to win the game. Apologies. Felt far worse than Thorn/Firebolt.

Fusions are still fun though. I'm starting to favor faster charging FRs to munch down on the endless sea of shotgun rushers. I'm also starting to get more mid-range kills now.
ySFFDgQ.gif

Interested to see how Quickdraw Blink Hunter fares with Plan C.
Also Juggernaut Titan. I like dropping bubbles in Control so couldn't do any IB tests.

Just gauntlets left for a complete set of Barkhan Dune on my Warlock, so every Sublime not a gauntlet has been going to my Titan.

Everything was Hesperos /s

Fusions are still fun though. I'm starting to favor faster charging FRs to munch down on the endless sea of shotgun rushers. I'm also starting to get more mid-range kills now.

This reminds me I really need to gif up a couple Plan C kills from the last Iron Banner. At least one of them could easily be called mid-long range. I had a blast using it, fusion kills feel so satisfying. I've tried it in Trials a couple times but fusions aren't as consistent for me as snipers so it's usually a losing proposition.

WeTeHa

haha oh man I just played the cryptarch lottery from the iron banner bounty marks and got a triple tap&casket mag 1000 yard stare. The third perk is "only" hidden hand, but getting a perfect roll pve sniper would have probably been too much :p

Anyone up for helping me kill daughters and Oryx (HM) tomorrow before reset? Was thinking around 4pm est? I've never been the runner/jumper on Oryx, so if you're skilled at that you're extra welcome:)

1. Kojirospath

Edit: off to bed now, will check back again in 7 hrs or so.

WeTeHa

(scope is ambush
Leveled it up and tried it out on some of the taken champions/troll patrol bounties. It's really amazing for single target damage. Might try it instead of spindle next time in the raid. Though spindle is higher impact, right?
It helps that it has pretty fast reload and I have sniper rifle reload gloves. I wonder how fast the reload with spray&play would be...
And apparently my account rng seed really likes hidden hand on snipers. Got a weylorans march from one of the rank 5 bounties with hidden hand+life support and 2 of the 3 her fury I got have hidden hand as well.

Edit: Did the math, with sniper boots and chest (18 rounds) I can fire 26 rounds under ideal conditions. Not bad.

Posted this to my blog, and forgot to post it here, so without further ado:

An Interview about Trials with Dr. Drizzay

First, do no* harm.

*For values of 'no' approaching 'vast and permanent'​

I’ve covered Drizz before with my #Drizzstrats analysis post. But even beyond his plays, he's an insightful player. Below I wanted to capture some of his thoughts on our favorite game mode, Trials of Osiris.

(I also included a few comments from my Trials fireteam to help punctuate the interview.)

Thanks for joining me, Dr. Drizz. You ran a card with Korosenai & XplicitOne last night. What’s your general outlook on Trials as a game mode?

The main thing to remember: Trials is not about kills!! It’s about orb control.

That's a really interesting viewpoint and explains why you’re disappointed in high kill count rounds.

You've also said many times that 90% of Trials rounds are determined by the first kill. How does "Orb Control" translate into your team strategy when you get a pick?

We can control those orbs with snipers and primaries by playing off them.

And if your team has a death instead?

Yeah, that's a situation where you can't push out and die when you have an open revive (X) behind you.

I'd love to get more into those two scenarios with you another time, because I know there’s a lot there. Y'all were trying to get in a flawless for Koro just before reset, but it didn’t happen.

Haha, yeah, it was way too late, to be honest (4am). It was stiff competition, for sure. Very solid teams. Our final boss definitely didn't outplay us; our mindskill was just straight trashbin.emoji.

Mindskill isn't a term I’ve heard before. Can you elaborate on that?

Igor: Mindskill is when you face a team that has an equal or better gunskill (aka krafty headshots) and you win because smart plays.​
Broadly speaking, I consider three elements to PvP: gun skill, mind skill and communication.

Gun skill is a bit of a misnomer, I'd widen its net to include your use of guns, melees, grenades, supers and MOVEMENT. But it includes how well you aim, whether it's guns or grenades or supers. Gun skill is the conventional term used, but you can think of it as gameplay skill or thumbskill. Just the basic ability to kill someone before they kill you, winning 1v1s. Also includes STAYING ALIVE. So obviously your movement ability is huge.

Staying alive & movement seem like mindskill.

Mind skill is making the correct decision on whether to engage or retreat. Gun skill is executing that decision well. So mind skill is a lot of situational awareness and strategy, whereas gun skill is the in-game execution. The distinction is important because gun skill can only take you so far if mind skill is putting you in bad engagements.

Ape: Movement was the biggest "ah-ha" moment for me, learning to disengage is a tough concept when all you play is 6s.​
Like if you watch krafty he'll challenge certain angles and hitting his shots is based on gun skill. But if that situation goes FUBAR, he needs mind skill to decide when and where and how to escape. Then gun skill again to execute the movement correctly that controls his angles so he isn't exposed from where he knows the enemies are chasing. E.g. jumping over a box or sliding behind a corner just in time to cut-off enemy sight lines.

Just like Awareness & Focus. You have to have both, and they play off each other. Awareness is mindskill, focus is gunskill.

Right. And there are levels of mind skill, from micro to macro. Your exact positioning or approach to an engagement is micro. But broader awareness of which player has which super, what's the round score so far, what tendencies have the enemies demonstrated during the game, etc. are more macro. If enemies are split up and pinching then who should we push. How do we create orb control, how do we maintain orb control, when do we need to cede orb control. Stuff like that.

I mean there's a lot to it, haha. Mainly just comes from experience more than anything. And you'll always make the wrong decisions sometimes.

Speaking of wrong decisions, what about this week's map, Bannerfall AKA sniper city? What are some wrong decisions there?

Don't overexpose yourself from too many angles simultaneously, and don't push out where teammates can't revive you if you die. One of the best things you can do is just stay alive sitting behind a wall and wait for your help to cover an exposed angle of the person who’s focused on your radar presence. What I like to call "applying radar pressure", but without challenging or exposing at all.

Playing passive in an "orb control mode" seems a mistake, especially on a sniper heavy map.

We just needed to get aggressive and push with primaries instead of sitting back and letting them get a pick, hard scoping every damn lane. We played most matches too passive, but also we kept getting picked and you can’t push after someone gets picked.

Any advice for what to do when a teammate gets picked?

You set up inside a choke point and wait for them to push on the pick.

I'll follow up on that next time, because that's all the time we have. Thanks again, Dr. Drizzay!

--------------------------------------------------------

Jokey format aside, I woke up like a week or two ago to see Drizz dropping some truth bombs in the Discord chat about Trials. I decided to copy them down and edit them into something cohesive, with a bit of clarification teased out of him.

(permalink)

Might try it instead of spindle next time in the raid. Though spindle is higher impact, right?

Yeah, 1kYS is one tier lower impact from Spindle. Since you have to hit your crits for both snipers to work properly, I can't imagine it would actually out-DPS Spindle but it's worth a shot. For science!

Fwiw the key to 1-cycling Warpriest since the special ammo nerf is to pop a green special ammo synthesis after you run out of shots. Only takes a few seconds and you can snipe the whole time. As long as the brand is held sufficiently long, and people hit their tethers and their snipes then it's not too bad to still 1-cycle.

Yeah, 1kYS is one tier lower impact from Spindle. Since you have to hit your crits for both snipers to work properly, I can't imagine it would actually out-DPS Spindle but it's worth a shot. For science!

Fwiw the key to 1-cycling Warpriest since the special ammo nerf is to pop a green special ammo synthesis after you run out of shots. Only takes a few seconds and you can snipe the whole time. As long as the brand is held sufficiently long, and people hit their tethers and their snipes then it's not too bad to still 1-cycle.

Somebody over at the subreddit did the math back in October on the two guns.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I think we need one more.

Well run with five for now. If anybody wants in can just tell me.

And there's a midget version of Rawr.

hoggert

The creative user names present in this game never cease to astound me. Lord DryWallKing420 just had his throne usurped by Bobmarley42069.

Top Bottom