• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

I must be confused about something - doesn't SBMM mean skill-based matchmaking? Because after playing dozens of hours in Trials all weekend (112+ games for all the gold packages), I can say without a doubt there is zero matchmaking as I was often going up against top-tier players whereas I am at the bottom-tier because I only just recently started playing Trials for the first time.

I would love it if Trials matchmaking was actually based on skill and not completely random...

Trials has the least amount of SBMM of all the crucible modes. The opponents you face are based on how many wins you have on the card.

There's no worse reward than getting a 330 ghost for a nf.

How is a 330 ghost, or even 330 legendary gear, on par with 20 strange coins or an exotic?

Oh well. NFs are fun.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There's no worse reward than getting a 330 ghost for a nf.

How is a 330 ghost, or even 330 legendary gear, on par with 20 strange coins or an exotic?

Oh well. NFs are fun.

I didnt even run Nightfall last week. 330 loot makes no sense when you are over 330. Why is it even capped at 330 anyway when CoE and even Heroic Strikes drop 335 items.

Trials is based on wins. It's the only gametype that doesn't have SBMM. If you have 5 wins, you'll get matched up with a team with 5 wins. It gets progressively harder as you get closer to a full card. It also gets laggier as the game will literally match you with people from around the world.
Trials has the least amount of SBMM of all the crucible modes. The opponents you face are based on how many wins you have on the card.
That is incredibly dumb. I would love to participate more in Trials but it's not fun getting your ass handed to you 5 rounds in a row, 7 games in a row. I just don't know what Bungie is thinking.

Lamonster never seeing the Lighthouse, CONFIRMED.

Woo my work approved my vacation that...just so happens.. To line up with the Rise of Iron.

Me too. Haven't mentioned why I want the 23rd off to any one.

I just don't know what Bungie is thinking.

IIRC from the update that invoked this: they felt people were getting to the lighthouse too easily, just based on luckily matching with terrible teams for the last few games.

I couldn't report them all.

Even if we would have won that round Igor would have gotten kicked. But anyways, you'll notice some people have the elipses (...) in black like they're in their menu... is that enough evidence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNkVyCEkt90

You can probably just send this video to Bungie; seem to recall Cozmo posting something to that effect on Reddit once.

XenoRaven

To ltwood and T44:

Just wanted to say that I had fun last night in Trials despite the failure. Thanks guys. Shame I didn't get my cloak, but I got an Arachnid helmet that I will probably never use!

WipedOut

Made it to Mercury one last time on the Xbox thanks to some PVP Gods.

Screenshot_Original.png

LTWood12

To ltwood and T44:

Just wanted to say that I had fun last night in Trials despite the failure. Thanks guys. Shame I didn't get my cloak, but I got an Arachnid helmet that I will probably never use!

You're a good dude. I played like absolute crappola. Fun time though. Thanks!

Deku Tree

Trials is based on wins. It's the only gametype that doesn't have SBMM. If you have 5 wins, you'll get matched up with a team with 5 wins. It gets progressively harder as you get closer to a full card. It also gets laggier as the game will literally match you with people from around the world.

Several people who play a lot have said that it "feels like" even trials has some form of hidden SBMM in addition to the tournament system. I believe that Drizzay may have posted about it a few times.

So Sterling Treasure packages become legacy on Thursday?

Guess I should turn in my stockpile?

I have no idea what, if anything at all, will change about opening the sterling packages after the September 8th(?) patch, so I can't comment about rushing to open them. But as I undersand, from the patch onward you will only get one free per week instead of the three you get now.

IIRC from the update that invoked this: they felt people were getting to the lighthouse too easily, just based on luckily matching with terrible teams for the last few games.
I think my only hope is if the new Trials gear is sexy enough to grow the player base tenfold so I'm not facing 100% sweaties and losing every match. 130+ games and my max wins is 6, and that's with boons :(

That is incredibly dumb. I would love to participate more in Trials but it's not fun getting your ass handed to you 5 rounds in a row, 7 games in a row. I just don't know what Bungie is thinking.

Lamonster never seeing the Lighthouse, CONFIRMED.

It's the nature of the beast. Trials is meant to be the ultra competitive, end game, PvP mode.

If you continue to play PvP and get a good group of folks to play with, you will make it to the lighthouse on a regular basis.

Y1 Trials I had 15 flawless runs. In Y2 I made it a priority to get better and focus on going to the lighthouse. I ended the year with 94 flawless clears.

You will get there if you just keep trying.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I didnt even run Nightfall last week. 330 loot makes no sense when you are over 330. Why is it even capped at 330 anyway when CoE and even Heroic Strikes drop 335 items.

Nightfalls drop 335 gear. But it'll only be that high if its Strike-specific loot (so last week, you could have gotten a 335 Darkblade Spite fusion rifle or the Darkblade Helm for a Titan, both which dropped for me last week). Nightfalls arent even really that much different than Heroic Strikes, just harder, and better chances for good loot to drop.

It wasn't described that way when they first introduced it. :p

I remember the reveal when they said connections were the most important thing. Those were the days.

Haha. True. I should have said, Trials in Y2...

As far as how it works now, I don't mind the slow ramp up against better opponents.

Bad connections are a serious issue and I hope that it addressed in RoI. I have no problem loosing, but loosing to lag is awful.

I took my level 10 Titan into the Crucible last night. I came in 3rd place. Pretty happy with that. I managed to one-shot snipe a dude out of his super with a white sniper rifle, too.

I took my level 10 Titan into the Crucible last night. I came in 3rd place. Pretty happy with that. I managed to one-shot snipe a dude out of his super with a white sniper rifle, too.

LL doesn't matter, so it is just impact/range vs their subclass's armour value.

Lots of white/green/blue guns of the same archetypes we use as legendaries and exotics, so no reason they can't be effective.

Used a level 4 Gozen-C (green) last night in Mayham Clash; 1-shot to the body when buffed with weapons of light.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Dang. I wish I had paid attention and realized this was the last weekend of Trials. I had still never gotten the chest and helmet for the Hunter.

nowai

*waves goodbye to old Trials of Osiris

Tryhards, tryhards everywhere. I expect it to be even worse during Rise of Iron.

Ahh, who am I kidding, I love Trials. The greatest sweat-fest there ever was in a console game.

I would argue that Trials is actually one of the least sweaty playlist due to no SBMM.

Normal Elimination and any 3v3 playlist is FAR more sweaty for me due to SBMM being present. At least in Trials is down to only wins and not SBMM.

Here's what I don't get with Destiny PVP.

I'm terrible at it... Or not terrible, but mediocre. What's odd is I'm not terrible at any other FPS.

I have a 2.2 KD in Black Ops 3 after ~17 days of playtime.

I feel like I'm missing something significant; as if my thought process and strategy is completely incorrect.

I'm trying to understand this discord thing, can I search for the Dgaf chat, or do I need to be invited? Who should I ask for an invite if that's the protocol?

I cannot wait for the strike-specific loot to become available with keys. The drop rate and the many layers of RNG are terrible right now.

Hopefully the keys have a decent rate.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I cannot wait for the strike-specific loot to become available with keys. The drop rate and the many layers of RNG are terrible right now.

Hopefully the keys have a decent rate.

Dont remember where I read/heard it, but I think they mentioned that we can only carry so many keys (I think it was 5). So we cant really hoard those things like Strange Coins.

WizzNARD

Anybody on Xbox wanna run some stuff later? Raid, CoE, Nightfall, whatever. Won't be home till 9est, but anytime after should be fine.

Hit me up here or on Xbox, GT is WizzNARD , I'll check the thread throughout the day. Thanks!!

Several people who play a lot have said that it "feels like" even trials has some form of hidden SBMM in addition to the tournament system. I believe that Drizzay may have posted about it a few times.

Drizz did believe that. Mostly because of the ridiculous teams me and him always matched when playing together. And i mean some ridiculous teams, even for our standards. I agree with him. Trials probably has some ammount of SBMM, the proof would be when they were talking about those "new MM settings" of theirs back when the community was in full rage about that and they implemented it slowly through the playlists and eventually said they applied that to trials to make it a bit more connection based again.

Also, to The Lamonster, no, trials should be as connection based as possible. Get this SBMM out of trials because the lag destroys the pvp of this game. Yeah you might get matched against a stacked team on your first game (not very likely at all these days, first few games are free wins) but you go into that game mode knowing that can happen. If you dont make it there, go back to the drawing board, improve as a team and try again. Realistically some cards its just gonna be impossible for you to actually get there (aka match 2 stacked teams pubstomping in a card) but you'll get there one card.

Would you agree that shot package was kinda bullshit and it's good that it's gone? UR is basically that without the constraints of Special ammo! So you can have a team of shot package + the ability to snipe. It's kind of a problem IMHO and I will be surprised if Bungie doesn't take notice. I highly doubt it was their intention to be able to double up on the benefits of Special so easily and with so few penalties. NLB gets away with it because...well, it's NLB, lol. It's not exactly user friendly.

It's an exotic

You have to sacrifice another exotic to use it

IT'S A TRADE OFF

Sentryxj

Neo Member
Anybody on Xbox wanna run some stuff later? Raid, CoE, Nightfall, whatever. Won't be home till 9est, but anytime after should be fine.

Hit me up here or on Xbox, GT is WizzNARD , I'll check the thread throughout the day. Thanks!!

Sure I'm down for the nightfall GT: DARKMASTER XJ

Dont remember where I read/heard it, but I think they mentioned that we can only carry so many keys (I think it was 5). So we cant really hoard those things like Strange Coins.
Anything is better than the way it is now.

I want a Grasp without having to farm the nightfall for hours with my fingers crossed.

A little less RNG would make Destiny even better.

I think my only hope is if the new Trials gear is sexy enough to grow the player base tenfold so I'm not facing 100% sweaties and losing every match. 130+ games and my max wins is 6, and that's with boons :(
That's why they introduced the gold bounties, kind of like a way to welfare into the trials gear. The only thing you'll be locked out of is the adept weapons and ornaments that make the armor glow.

Top Bottom