• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

3o7TKstSkiM62mLPFu.gif

l3vRapKuXqFABLyg0.gif

Event Horizon can feel just as crispy.

You would have never hit that snipe if I hadn't slowly floated up and opened the door. Kappa.

You're welcome.

Shiv47

Finally got a Jade Rabbit, after a year. I can stop being annoyed by that empty spot on the kiosk, and move on to Thorn and Optimus Prime or whatever the hell its called.

hydruxo

Finally got a Jade Rabbit, after a year. I can stop being annoyed by that empty spot on the kiosk, and move on to Thorn and Optimus Prime or whatever the hell its called.

Yeah I still don't have a Jade Rabbit yet. Shit has eluded me for so long for some reason. I don't even want one that bad, I just want it for collection purposes haha.

btkadams

is hopscotch pilgrim a good gun? i just picked it up with "this weapon can be fired in full auto mode" and "missing a short from this weapon's burst will fire a fourth shot".

If Bungie were an education board and Destiny were a school, they would remove the science club because all the smart kids go there and ignore the rest of the clubs.

Because that's how the Gunslinger nerf looks right about now - completely unwarranted changes based on incredibly flawed reasoning biased towards kill death ratio, which is skewed based on the sample size of above average players who gravitate towards a class whose potential has always been dependent entirely on the skill of the player. In other words, "good players tend to play this subclass and do well, therefore the subclass is too good." Correlation does not equal causation, and that's the only fallacy that explains its nerfs. THE ONE THING they didn't need to fuck with was its neutral game and lo and behold they did.

Meanwhile, a Stormcaller can blink through 4 guardians team shooting it and survive because... balance? Or the other end of the spectrum where there's still no reason to play Defender in PvP unless you're spamming suppressor nades. Furthermore, skip grenades are overpowered as fuck. I don't think i've gotten into a 1v1 fight with a Bladedancer since those were buffed because there's no reason not to throw those before every encounter since they follow you everywhere.

It doesn't take 6 months' worth of behavioral data and patterns to spot these very obvious balancing errors. At least if Blizzard made these mistakes, they'd have it rebalanced a few weeks later. It's a night and day difference coming back to this game and realizing that I'm going to have to sit through teams spamming grenades wondering when the next patch will be. Bungie needs to stop playtesting this internally with people who play the game the way it's "supposed to be played" and not the way it's actually played.

Finished the 5 Trials cards with randoms from the Destiny LFG. We weren't going try hard, it still had a good time. Got a Doctrine from the Gold bounty, it has almost full stability. I'm OK with that!

Ramirez

If Bungie were an education board and Destiny were a school, they would remove the science club because all the smart kids go there and ignore the rest of the clubs.

Because that's how the Gunslinger nerf looks right about now - completely unwarranted changes based on incredibly flawed reasoning biased towards kill death ratio, which is skewed based on the sample size of above average players who gravitate towards a class whose potential has always been dependent entirely on the skill of the player. In other words, "good players tend to play this subclass and do well, therefore the subclass is too good." Correlation does not equal causation.

Meanwhile, a Stormcaller can blink through 4 guardians team shooting it and survive because... balance? Or the other end of the spectrum where there's still no reason to play Defender in PvP unless you're spamming suppressor nades. Furthermore, skip grenades are overpowered as fuck.

It doesn't take 6 months' worth of behavioral data and patterns to spot balancing errors. I think Bungie needs to stop playtesting this internally with people who play the game the way it's "supposed to be played" and not the way it's actually played.

Yea, as a long time Gunslinger main in PVP, I was gutted to come back to the game and hear it was nerfed.

Managed to go flawless on my Titan, and I now have angel wings on my beetle arms, neat. ToO is such a fun experience, but holy fuck please stop selecting garbage maps.

Fuck all you sweaties telling me to switch subclasses. How about you stop playing broken shit and come play the one without any cheap recovery tricks or homing grenades?

3 years in and it still boggles my mind that the Gunslinger class doesn't even have quickdraw. It's like a Stealth class not being able to sneak around or a Tank with no armor. There was absolutely no reason to change Bladedancers beyond taking that one perk out and putting it where it belongs, but they made it all clunky because reasons and now it's only good for spamming skip grenades.

Here's to hoping Destiny 2 resets all the subclasses so we don't have to deal with this watered down nonsense anymore.

No i didn't just lose - just ranting after reading a reddit thread.

JayHayabusa

Would like to do a ROI Raid at 6pm CET (Noon EST)
We'll be running monitors as well for the exotic quest

1. jayforone (Hunter 367)

Already ran the raid with all monitors activated but didn't beat Aksis last time (ran out of time since some had commitments)

Anyone 365+ is welcome. If you beat Aksis or you're 371+ that would be awesome.

Please quote me and sign up.

Bungie still hasn't fixed the number one shotgun problem - You can fire the thing immediately with no ready penalty after sprinting, sliding or jumping.

Literally all you see in the Crucible right now are Titans skating around with Shotguns and that fucking Juggernaut shield. By the time you break the shield they're right in your face and there's absolutely no risk or penalty for them to instantly come out of their skate and shotgun you in mid air. Same exact problem as Blink Shotgun with a fresh coat of paint.

Balance.

At least I can throwing knife them sti--

Oh, I have to wait for them to burn out while they continue to skate at me.

pQqThEd.gif

But Snipers are a problem! So let's fix their aim assist by nerfing all their ammo, adding extra flinch, making them clunky as fuck and fucking up their zoom. Yea that will make them harder to... wait, what do you mean they're less fun? Aren't easy headshots fun?

I swear to god everyone on the Crucible team has never set foot in the Crucible because NOBODY WHO FUCKING PLAYS THE THING with any semblance of competence would need spreadsheets to tell them how to balance it. I'm still seeing DAY ONE problems and absolutely no progress.

Out of a long list of asinine Crucible changes made prior to Rise of Iron, one of the very few that makes sense is moving Super sniping to Black Spindle's impact tier. But good luck doing that with how thirsty your sniper is for 90% of the game.

I watched a year one video the other day and my sniper used to have no less than 10 rounds in it the whole game. But guess what? I was using my Primary for most of it because - and this is breaking news so get your notepads ready - primary guns used to have faster kill times than special guns!

Hey Zoba, how's it....oh *slowly backs away*

I'm just tired of incompetence. I played Overwatch for 2 weeks and saw balance problems. 2 weeks later changes were announced and they went up before I could even finish my rant post. How the fuck Bungie still hasn't figured out how to fix this game is completely beyond me. i'm all but convinced that they've long since given up and spent the last 2 years beta testing Destiny 2's Crucible balance.

I'm just tired of incompetence. I played Overwatch for 2 weeks and saw balance problems. 2 weeks later changes were announced and they went up before I could even finish my rant post. How the fuck Bungie still hasn't figured out how to fix this game is completely beyond me. i'm all but convinced that they've long since given up and spent the last 2 years beta testing Destiny 2's Crucible balance.

To be fair Overwatch is a competitive MP game and a competitive MP game alone . Even then I'd say they could be rolling out changes faster.

If Bungie wanted the balance to be better than it is they would have done something by now.

To be fair Overwatch is a competitive MP game and a competitive MP game alone . Even then I'd say they could be rolling out changes faster.

If Bungie wanted the balance to be better than it is they would have done something by now.

Bungie want to be mad scientists and "give things their age and era". Which would be cool if it was a 2-4 week turnaround and not 6 months while the fanbase wonders what they'll fuck up next.

Shito

Shiro's weekly patrol bounty should guarantee a skeleton key, really, if they want to keep the drop rate for it that low...

Bungie want to be mad scientists and "give things their age and era". Which would be cool if it was a 2-4 week turnaround and not 6 months while the fanbase wonders what they'll fuck up next.

It's been the shit era since they fucked up my Hawkmoon

It's been the shit era since they fucked up my Hawkmoon

You know what really gets me? How long did it take them to fix Thorn? They nerfed an entire weapon class and fucked up entire playstyles...

...when all they had to do was lower its DoT

LOL

How many bullshit stability and accuracy penalties did we have to sit through for them to indirectly arrive at such a brainless conclusion - one that was proposed literally the day Thorn started showing up in Crucible when it had 6 rounds and everyone who had it said the DoT was too good? And that's not the first or the last time this will happen. Granted, reigning in Hand Cannon ranges can be seen as a positive. Getting sniped from across the map by a weapon with high aim assist oversteps the Scout Rifle and Sniper niches so that's fine. But those are the type of obvious QOL that take more time to tweak into their sweet spot.

In game development, every change will affect something else, especially within the context of sandbox balance. But if there are people who have foresight and wisdom to anticipate those reactions and the problem solving and response time to address them, there wont be any issues. At this point, I frankly just think the sandbox team is not qualified for such a task. This is not a difficult game to balance. They simply either cannot do it or they don't want to.

Still say make it have near 0 impact and it's all about just getting DoT stacks on.

It doesn't need to be more gimmicky. I honestly think it's "perfect" right now aside from the general Hand Cannon changes, namely the senseless hipfire change back in House of Wolves.

Foxxsoxx

You know what really gets me? How long did it take them to fix Thorn? They nerfed an entire weapon class and fucked up entire playstyles...

...when all they had to do was lower its DoT

LOL

How many bullshit stability and accuracy penalties did we have to sit through for them to indirectly arrive at such a brainless conclusion - one that was proposed literally the day Thorn started showing up in Crucible when it had 6 rounds and everyone who had it said the DoT was too good? And that's not the first or the last time this will happen. Granted, reigning in Hand Cannon ranges can be seen as a positive. Getting sniped from across the map by a weapon with high aim assist oversteps the Scout Rifle and Sniper niches so that's fine. But those are the type of obvious QOL that take more time to tweak into their sweet spot.

In game development, every change will affect something else, especially within the context of sandbox balance. But if there are people who have foresight and wisdom to anticipate those reactions and the problem solving and response time to address them, there wont be any issues. At this point, I frankly just think the sandbox team is not qualified for such a task. This is not a difficult game to balance. They simply either cannot do it or they don't want to.

Yep I remember when mid-low RoF auto rifles were good about..... 2 years ago..... (Still waiting on that buff)

Bungie knocks it out of the park when it comes to PVE, but their PVP balance is beyond fucking horrible. They have the horrible mentality that weapons should 'shine' for a while, which is a poor excuse for not needing to balance things properly. The sad part is they're pretty close to balance, with a few tweaks they'd be there, but since they just adore updating the game balance twice a year there really isn't a point since they always fix one thing and fuck up two more (remember the .06 damage buffs last year? Wow that changed everything). This on top of skill-based matchmaking and it's a recipe for frustrating PVP.

However my biggest issue is gun mechanics, like auto-rifles (or any weapon class really) having horrible base hip-fire accuracy, and most guns having trash mid-air accuracy, which destroys the entire point of how vertical this game can be because it does nothing but harm you unless you're rolling a hand cannon. Earlier in Trials I was having a sniper 1v1 for a winning kill, instead of peaking a corner i decided to be sneaky and jump above a piece of cover and do a nice popshot, I hit the dude directly in the head from my point of view and I see my bullet trail shoot at a completely random angle away from my crosshair and I don't even get a hit on him. Shit like this blows my mind.

The sad part is I used to love PVP at launch, despite being unbalanced at least primaries were useful and weapons felt responsive and I could play with people of all different skill ranks. Now I'm feeling like a badass if I can manage a 1.2 KDR.

Yep I remember when mid-low RoF auto rifles were good about..... 2 years ago..... (Still waiting on that buff)

Bungie knocks it out of the park when it comes to PVE, but their PVP balance is beyond fucking horrible. They have the horrible mentality that weapons should 'shine' for a while, which is a poor excuse for not needing to balance things properly. The sad part is they're pretty close to balance, with a few tweaks they'd be there, but since they just adore updating the game balance twice a year there really isn't a point since they always fix one thing and fuck up two more (remember the .06 damage buffs last year? Wow that changed everything). This on top of skill-based matchmaking and it's a recipe for frustrating PVP.

However my biggest issue is gun mechanics, like auto-rifles (or any weapon class really) having horrible base hip-fire accuracy, and most guns having trash mid-air accuracy, which destroys the entire point of how vertical this game can be because it does nothing but harm you unless you're rolling a hand cannon. Earlier in Trials I was having a sniper 1v1 for a winning kill, instead of peaking a corner i decided to be sneaky and jump above a piece of cover and do a nice popshot, I hit the dude directly in the head from my point of view and I see my bullet trail shoot at a completely random angle away from my crosshair and I don't even get a hit on him. Shit like this blows my mind.

Ya pretty much the only reason I haven't given up on The Last Word yet - you know, that hipfire gun that Bungie nerfed the hipfire perks on for some dumb fucking reason - is because it's still the only gun that reliably hits while you're in the air.

That playstyle is also why I haven't switched to Striker Titan in PvP yet, which outshines basically everything else aside from the fact that you can't jump vertically and shoot

I'm still of the opinion that the waepon sandbox was 99% balanced in November 2014 give or take a few outlying exotics, the occasional OP perk (shot package, grenades and horseshos) and the general state of Pulse Rifles.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
There is no such thing as balance. For something to be balance, everything will come to a standstill. Because everything is constant perfection can never be achieved. No I did not read this from a fortune cookie.

Zocano

This is still predominantly a LT+RT game and not strafing to victory shooting which is a shame.

Maybe Destiny 2 will change things.

Or they'll double down on LT+RT.

There is no such thing as balance. For something to be balance, everything will come to a standstill. Because everything is constant perfection can never be achieved. No I did not read this from a fortune cookie.

The only people who believe "perfection" is unobtainable are the people who have no idea what they're doing.

"Perfect Balance" is a combination of imbalances. The key is to find which imbalances are healthy for the game and which ones are not.

This is the absolute last kind of game that needs sandbox overhauls to keep the meta fresh. Isn't that what new fucking guns are for?

Foxxsoxx

I'll just ask again once you guys are done with your PvP rants ;)

*ranting intensifies*

I love this game but damn it feels like the guys in charge have no idea what they're doing sometimes. I hate being so passionate about it as I'm chill 95% of the time, but seeing this PVP rants I knew it was my time to shine :p

I totally agree that there will never be true balance in a game like this, but when you have weapons like low-mid RoF auto-rifles that can easily lose in a 15m gunfight to scout rifles there is a problem which in this case is just ignored for some reason. It's like they try and justify that weapon types can be good because on paper if you hit every single shot they have insane DPS, but on paper it just doesn't work that way.

Max RoF machine guns for example have insane damage output on paper, but are always given the lowest stats of any machine gun archetype usually with the lowest range, stability, and reload in class which makes them useless.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm going to eat a cheesesteak at 4 in the morning. Screw balance.

Playing fighting games I'm use to companies screwing things up. But you get use to it after some time and just try to have fun with what you have.

Anyway I'm done. I don't feel like waking up and reading shitposts from people mentioning TLW again. At this point I just want special ammo back on the map. Whoever decided I should wait 3 minutes for 3 fucking sniper bullets...

Gotta love how many low impact Snipers Bungie keeps making. It's like they don't understand that the only reason anyone would use a low impact sniper is to spam bullets, and there happens to be no more ammo to spam in the Crucible. So why do I want the Iron Banner sniper again? What did Zod say about his duty being to his people that he no longer had?

Okay now I'm done.

Foxxsoxx

Lol I'm not this salty most of the time, I just love a good rant for the best and worst game I've ever played lol.

If anyone wants to do a fresh raid let me know, finally hit 365 light after finishing Trials and I got a nice nap in so I'm fresh B)

PSN Fakehound

Ambitious

Would like to do a ROI Raid at 6pm CET (Noon EST)
We'll be running monitors as well for the exotic quest

1. jayforone (Hunter 367)
2. Ambitious (Hunter 367)

Already ran the raid with all monitors activated but didn't beat Aksis last time (ran out of time since some had commitments)

Anyone 365+ is welcome. If you beat Aksis or you're 371+ that would be awesome.

Please quote me and sign up.

I'm down. I did the raid twice with all monitors activated, but both times we failed to kill Aksis. I'm gonna bring my 367 Hunter alt because I already have the loot drops with my 368 Warlock main (excluding Aksis, of course).

Top Bottom