• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

cjp

So on my new Titan character I'm now level 18 and just unlocked the mission Ishtar Collective.

I noticed I've now got a The Dark Below mission that's appeared on Earth: Fist of Crota. It says it's a level 10 story compared to the Ishtar Collective being 11.

I thought that The Dark Below would have been designed to be completed after the "main quest"? Am I better off starting it now?

So on my new Titan character I'm now level 18 and just unlocked the mission Ishtar Collective.

I noticed I've now got a The Dark Below mission that's appeared on Earth: Fist of Crota. It says it's a level 10 story compared to the Ishtar Collective being 11.

I thought that The Dark Below would have been destined to be completed after the "main quest"? Am I better off starting it now?
When TTK was released they made some changes to the flow of the year one story missions so that you'd have more choices on what to do, which story arcs you want to focus on, etc, instead of just following a single linear story path. That being said, the way they did it isn't perfect. IIRC, the Crota missions will spike up in difficulty quickly.

cjp

When TTK was released they made some changes to the flow of the year one story missions so that you'd have more choices on what to do, which story arcs you want to focus on, etc, instead of just following a single linear story path. That being said, the way they did it isn't perfect. IIRC, the Crota missions will spike up in difficulty quickly.

I see, thanks for the explanation!

In that case I may give them a go until I find myself unable to progress any further without levelling up more.

Anyone on PS4 that hasn't done the Outbreak Prime quest yet?

I've been on the step where you have to do stuff in a Fireteam consisting of a Hunter, Warlock and Titan for what seems like forever. (I'm a Hunter, btw.)

darthbob

Anyone on PS4 that hasn't done the Outbreak Prime quest yet?

I've been on the step where you have to do stuff in a Fireteam consisting of a Hunter, Warlock and Titan for what seems like forever. (I'm a Hunter, btw.)

I still need to do this. I'm a Titan.

At work currently but would be happy to do this tonight, tomorrow, or Saturday.

sup I need to finish the quest plz look for Godless_Pagan
Im game whenever...I'll add you

Cool, I added you. I'll be on later tonight. Hell, I'll probably be on well into the morning because I do weekly Xur videos. I'm not on much during the weekends, though, because that's when I spend time with the missus.

cr0w

Old Member
Just getting back into the game (and GAF) after a 6-month hiatus. Not sure if anyone I used to play with on PS4 is still around, but I'm gonna be hitting IB tonight and tomorrow if anyone wants to add me and join for some epic failing at PVP.

krayven1980 is the PSN, I dunno if anyone could shoot me a Discord invite or how that even works, since I'm old and out of touch.

lawtowler

It really irritates me how difficult it has become to get to the Lighthouse in year three. I've done 14 times over the first two years but can't manage it now.

Waldini

It really irritates me how difficult it has become to get to the Lighthouse in year three. I've done 14 times over the first two years but can't manage it now.

The players playing Trials of Osiris has deminished. Alot.
Year 1 ToO had alot of "regulars" playing that made the chance to reach the Lighthouse a bit bigger. However, year 3 ToO has very "few" (well, still alot) players left. Which, in turn, makes it difficult to reach the Lighthouse.

Then again, your biggest enemy isn't the enemy itself ... but the goddamn red-bars and warping players.

EDIT
Some guy from GAF asked me to help him with Crota. His fireteam fell apart at Crota (because Crota was being an ass again). Can't remember his username. He didn't message me the day I was available to help. If you are reading this, hit me up if you are having trouble. (XBOX)

So last night a buddy and I both were Defender Titans with suppression grenades, snipers and Weapons of Light. Iron Banner felt broken. It was the most greasiest feeling I have ever had. Just threw double bubbles everywhere.

But that Record book ain't going to finish itself.

Same. Been trying for two weeks and the only people my team loses to are streamers/paid carries. Every. Damn. Time.

I've never been to the Lighthouse.

Hell, I can probably count on both hands how many times I've ever played Trials, and most of those times were in Year 1.

I'd like to play Trials more, because I think it's actually a really fun game, but whenever I try to LFG for it I always have a miserable experience. Either people will refuse to play with me because I'm not at the their level, or I'll get people who don't even have mics.

Coming into the AoT update, the updated Raids/CMs, and Adept Primaries I had no interest in King's Fall primary weapons yet the Doom of Chelchis is turning into one of my favorites along with Vision of Confluence and Genesis Chain while the Fatebringer...not so much as the range is putrid.

cjp

Sorry guys, another question:

The raid gear and exotics and whatever other items I got back in 2014 (stuff like Ice Breaker etc) - are they all "useless" now?

Obviously they've added a lot newer and higher level stuff since the level change went from 20 (30?) to 40?

On my new Titan character I'm at level 26 and finding Uncommon and Rare gear which is seemingly better than the the Exotic and Legendary's on my old Warlock.

Midas

Sorry guys, another question:

The raid gear and exotics and whatever other items I got back in 2014 (stuff like Ice Breaker etc) - are they all "useless" now?

Obviously they've added a lot newer and higher level stuff since the level change went from 20 (30?) to 40?

On my new Titan character I'm at level 26 and finding Uncommon and Rare gear which is seemingly better than the the Exotic and Legendary's on my old Warlock.

Yeah, it's useless for PvE.

cjp

Yeah, it's useless for PvE.

Ah, I see. Oh well! Guess I'll use the random gear I find.

What's the best way to get the new exotics and stuff? Raid loot? I remember you could buy some last time from that weekly vendor thing.

Ah, I see. Oh well! Guess I'll use the random gear I find.

What's the best way to get the new exotics and stuff? Raid loot? I remember you could buy some last time from that weekly vendor thing.

Xûr sells current Exotics Friday and Saturday. You should buy the Zhalo Supercell this week. You also have a lot of quests that can get your current Exotics. Most current Exotics can be obtained if you already own the legacy version. Go to the tower, down to the vanguard room. Look on the wall and interact with the blue screens. If you see any of those that allow you to 'buy'them for 150 legendary marks, youll get the current version. Anything that you can buy with an exotic shard and glimmer, you already have/had the current version. 3 of coins is another way to get current Exotics.

cjp

Xûr sells current Exotics Friday and Saturday. You should buy the Zhalo Supercell this week. You also have a lot of quests that can get your current Exotics. Most current Exotics can be obtained if you already own the legacy version. Go to the tower, down to the vanguard room. Look on the wall and interact with the blue screens. If you see any of those that allow you to 'buy'them for 150 legendary marks, youll get the current version. Anything that you can buy with an exotic shard and glimmer, you already have/had the current version. 3 of coins is another way to get current Exotics.

Ah, that's it. I remember him now you've mentioned his name. Unfortunately I don't think I'll have enough on my Titan to buy anything - and with him only being at 29 will he be able to use them anyway?

Thank you for your help!

Ah, that's it. I remember him now you've mentioned his name. Unfortunately I don't think I'll have enough on my Titan to buy anything - and with him only being at 29 will he be able to use them anyway?

Thank you for your help!

Every rank up gets you 4 strange coins. So if push come to shove you could level up your factions, etc. You will hit 40 in no time. Zhalo is one of the best PvE Exotics imo.

TyrantII

So last night a buddy and I both were Defender Titans with suppression grenades, snipers and Weapons of Light. Iron Banner felt broken. It was the most greasiest feeling I have ever had. Just threw double bubbles everywhere.

But that Record book ain't going to finish itself.

I think that's bungies idea. This gets quite a few nodes done before the reveal this week.

Likewise, TOO is easy mode equalizer now with the new meta. Gotta sweeten the last days of the tower and reef.

Rage time. Just ran Atheon for the 14th time since AoT. Still no mythoclast. However this little 10 year old kid who literally died before we were warped got it. He never played the raid before and had no clue what was going on. Guess I'll just commit suicide next time and let my team 5 man it. Thanks bungle and rngesus.

sn00zer

Destiny noobie questions. Currently playing through the base game with somone who is not great at game, but we are having a ton of fun. We are around lvl 18/19 so I assume we anre nearing the end of the game (?)

-We will only be playing Destiny with two people and the strikes by and large take three. That said if I am NOT interested in Strikes or PVP are all of the expansions still worth getting?

-How difficult are the expansions? We are doing relatively fine with Destiny's story missions, but no way in hell will we be able to do something like House of Glass or whatever its called.

-If we are primarily sticking to story missions. is there anything we could miss that would be fun for two players?

EDIT: -At what point does element type matter? We've been basically fine just sticking with the "just go for the highest muber stuff". From what I could tell elemental stuff doesnt matter until much later.

Destiny noobie questions. Currently playing through the base game with somone who is not great at game, but we are having a ton of fun. We are around lvl 18/19 so I assume we anre nearing the end of the game (?)

-We will only be playing Destiny with two people and the strikes by and large take three. That said if I am NOT interested in Strikes or PVP are all of the expansions still worth getting?

-How difficult are the expansions? We are doing relatively fine with Destiny's story missions, but no way in hell will we be able to do something like House of Glass or whatever its called.

-If we are primarily sticking to story missions. is there anything we could miss that would be fun for two players?

EDIT: -At what point does element type matter? We've been basically fine just sticking with the "just go for the highest muber stuff". From what I could tell elemental stuff doesnt matter until much later.

The difficulty on story missions in the expansions is no different than the main game. You pick the difficulty you want to play at.

The story missions in the expansions are just as fun as the main game, especially Rise of Iron, although all the expansions are short campaigns, so don't expect the same length. But definitely worth checking out.

Elements matter most for strikes, raids and any other activity where there's an elemental burn, but for story missions you don't need to worry about it too much.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

-strikes try to match you with a 3rd for everything but the Nightfall, sometimes you might get one no one else doing so it will be just the 2 of you but unless you are playing the highest lvl strike play list they are easy, most easier then some of the end game mission. IMHO strikes are the best part of the game for a causal Destiny player (like mini raids that only take 10-30 mins to do.

-if you do the missions in order you will be well over any lvl req for missions in expansion. Just look at map and do the ones lowest lvl req 1st and you will be good to go. Recently I lvled a hunter to max solo just doing the story missions in order and I was maxed by the time I got to rise of iron stuff.

-element damage makes some stuff a bit easier but no required for 99% of the game, Nightfall would be the only thing I think it's a must even the hardest strike playlist I don't bother with it.

glaurung

Lost Mercury to the most obvious lagswitch cheater I ever met. Symptoms:
  1. Dude was removed from the post-round table after the first round. Magically reappeared into the game.
  2. Dude gets killed in the sniper lane. His ghost magically warps back to his team spawn.
  3. Dude is engaged in a 1-1 gunfight in the back corridor. Suddenly appears in the middle of the map cube (Pantheon), I goldie him, his ghost teleports to who-knows-where.
  4. My teammate randomly drops dead 10 seconds into the round, the killer is highlighted as the lagswitch dude meleeing him from his own spawn.
  5. Dude taunts us via PMs.
We lost to them 4-5. What a joke.

If you like the gameplay/gunplay Strikes are a great way to just enjoy the game in co-op with the Heroic Strike playlist ultimately being the most fun for extended play sessions. Usually, you'll matchmake with a third player.

As far as story missions go they are all worth playing in order to both experience them and go through the progression to level 40 and then light levels. That said, The Taken King and Rise of Iron campaigns are easily the best ones of the bunch including Vanilla, The Dark Below, and House of Wolves.

The story missions generally feature a recommended light level and multiple versions regarding difficulty each with a corresponding light level.

Elementals matter throughout the game in any PvE mode where you generally will find it easier to take down an enemy by matching a weapon's element with the enemies elemental shield. Then you have difficulty modifiers known as elemental burns that are sometimes included in the Weekly Nightfall and Heroic Strikes as well as the newish Story Mission playlist (380 LL) where having matching elemental weapons to that particular burn is advantageous to the player but you'll also take increased damage from an enemy using that same type of weapon too.

As far as other co-op modes you'll want to check out Prison of Elders from the House of Wolves expansion, Court of Oryx from The Taken King expansion, Challenge of the Elders from the Spring 2016 Update, and Archon's Forge from the Rise of Iron expansion.

Edit: You can also do Sparrow Racing in private matches (course select, enemy types, number of laps and some other basic options in creating a race) if you are looking for another different type of experience/co-op mode.

mossypne

Is there anywhere i can find some people to help Raid? There is 3 of us wanting to do Wrath of the Machine tonight. We're in the UK and all 3 of us have mics. Around 8ish.

sn00zer

Thanks for the detailed replies....looks like we are getting a third soon so might be doing strikes.

Also quick question. Do high level players scale down when helping low level players on their story missions? Or would we just be destroying enemies by breathing on them if we are trying to help a new player get through the initial missions?

Thanks for the detailed replies....looks like we are getting a third soon so might be doing strikes.

Also quick question. Do high level players scale down when helping low level players on their story missions? Or would we just be destroying enemies by breathing on them if we are trying to help a new player get through the initial missions?

Out of curiosity, why do you need a 3rd to do strikes? The game matches you with a random and that random has no verbal interaction with you at all.

sn00zer

Out of curiosity, why do you need a 3rd to do strikes? The game matches you with a random and that random has no verbal interaction with you at all.

Eh, we play together and they are learning how to play and FPS for essentially the first time. Dont want to hold anyone up if we are taking our time.

They sort of scale down. They'll still seem OP compared to you, but their maximum damage and other values will be reduced a little bit.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Less than 4 days until the gameplay reveal. Are you hyped? I know that I am.

Hyped as Hype can be, the only thing that has deflated my Destiny hype of late is missing out on Xur this weekend when he brought the goodness for my Warlock main :/

Oh well, Gary's coming with nukes soon so I guess I can't be that sad about it all lol.

Eh, we play together and they are learning how to play and FPS for essentially the first time. Dont want to hold anyone up if we are taking our time.

Anyone can solo any strike. It won't be an issue. The one thing that might happen is the random will run forward and skip a bunch of enemies and you two would probably clean them up. Honestly it sounds like you're over thinking it. Just play the game and have fun. If you want to do a level, do it.

Top Bottom