• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Trakan

Two PvP playlists: quickplay has Control, Clash, Supremacy and competitive has Countdown & a mode they are "not talking about right now"

Oh my God. That actually sounds like Ranked/Unranked. I just hope they keep their promise of connection based matchmaking in one of the playlists.

aarcane

Just did the Taken War: Earth one since that's what the wiki said, will check out what I have to do for Venus next time I hop on! Thanks.

It's been a while since I did it, but I think you get a pretty decent 1000-Yard Stare sniper as a reward for completing the Taken War: Earth part. It's not as good as it was during Year 2, but it's still well worth keeping (provided you haven't already sharded it).

Anyway, Taken War: Mars should unlock once you've done Venus and Earth. Enjoy the Fear's Embrace mission.

rgoulart

Hello Destiny gaffers,

I bought Destiny vanilla on pre-order after playing and loving the alpha and beta, but after one or two months of playing, I left the game because I was disappointed with the lack of story.

Now I feel a sudden need to return and play through everything again (mostly because I need a good shooter since I'm on two weeks vacation). I feel like I was too hard on the game and I think it deserves a second chance.

I'm downloading it right now but I have a few questions. The file size I'm downloading is over 50gb but I only own the vanilla game. If I buy the Taken King expansion (with Expansions I and II, currently $19,99 on NA PSN) will the content already be on those 50gb or will it download more content separately? If so, how many gb will I still have to download?

One more question, if I only buy The Taken King (and Exp I and II), will I have enough content to keep me going for a while or do I need to buy Rise of Iron too? I'm hoping it goes on sale on PSN tomorrow, that way I'll buy everything but currently I feel it is too expensive.

Do you I think I need to know anything else going into the game, having only played the vanilla in the first month or so?

Thank you in advance.

gspec

It's been a while since I did it, but I think you get a pretty decent 1000-Yard Stare sniper as a reward for completing the Taken War: Earth part. It's not as good as it was during Year 2, but it's still well worth keeping (provided you haven't already sharded it).

Anyway, Taken War: Mars should unlock once you've done Venus and Earth. Enjoy the Fear's Embrace mission.

Fear's Embrace
Hardest story mission in the game.

Dalek

Hello Destiny gaffers,

I bought Destiny vanilla on pre-order after playing and loving the alpha and beta, but after one or two months of playing, I left the game because I was disappointed with the lack of story.

Now I feel a sudden need to return and play through everything again (mostly because I need a good shooter since I'm on two weeks vacation). I feel like I was too hard on the game and I think it deserves a second chance.

I'm downloading it right now but I have a few questions. The file size I'm downloading is over 50gb but I only own the vanilla game. If I buy the Taken King expansion (with Expansions I and II, currently $19,99 on NA PSN) will the content already be on those 50gb or will it download more content separately? If so, how many gb will I still have to download?

One more question, if I only buy The Taken King (and Exp I and II), will I have enough content to keep me going for a while or do I need to buy Rise of Iron too? I'm hoping it goes on sale on PSN tomorrow, that way I'll buy everything but currently I feel it is too expensive.

Do you I think I need to know anything else going into the game, having only played the vanilla in the first month or so?

Thank you in advance.

I believe that the other content is downloaded in the game patches-but you have to have the license to use it.

GAF-my wife and kid went on a trip to visit family for the week-so I have a week to knock out my Raids for my triumphs. Anyone in the same boat want to plan to do some Raids this week?

To preface all this, I can't wait to play the beta.That will be the real test. I'm really excited to get my hands on the game. A lot of changes, particularly those that were causing the most friction, look really positive, but I'm not sure about the core gameplay loop.

So I'm not sure how I'm feeling about what I've seen to be honest. Destiny 1 was nerf after nerf after nerf, all because of PvP. I was excited that Destiny 2 is to quote Lukems, "an integer", because it'd let them take a step back and really reset. I was hoping that we'd get our power back. But instead, it seems like we're going to continue losing it.

Blink? Gone.
Bubble? Gone.
Self-rez? Gone.
Invis? Gone.

Those were all science FANTASY stuff. Really unique things that other games didn't have. Dawncaller looks like a reskin of Sunbreaker. Striker is now a roaming super like all the rest. (Which is sad because Striker actually got to a good place in PvE at the end. You could generate 7 orbs easy & clear a mob or kill a yellowbar.) Those abilities all played VERY different. Where you placed your bubble MATTERED. When to invis to save a rez MATTERED. When to drop your smash to counter a super MATTERED. When to Self-rez MATTERED. Now every super is an elemental reskin of another class' roaming super ability. It feels like a lot of the unique and powerful stuff is getting removed. Add to that subclass trees are getting fine tuned down to A or B. No more customization. The playspace is shrinking.

And based on the gameplay from the reveal, we won't be getting more powerful. The Striker R1 shouldercharge super doesn't even kill Red Bar enemies. Melees take THREE hits to kill. Kill times are right around ~1 sec and the handling doesn't look improved at all. We're losing a Special/Heavy for another Primary. Another pea shooter.

It all looks very.... safe.

All the classes will have a roaming super that's more or less the same (when you compare it against things like self-rez or a bubble). Each subclass only has option A or option B. Everyone has pea shooters for primaries. Power ammo is rare, so you can't be a hero with a shotgun and a rocket launcher.

I'm not pining to get those abilities back. I was hoping for a reset. For something new and powerful. Not new, but similar. Class abilities (wall, dodge, buff) are a step in the right direction there. I just wish everything else wasn't getting trimmed down too.

There are times I wish I had never played Year 1. Because I still have the memory of Fatebringer, Black Hammer, Gjallarhorn. Of blink and saving runs at Skolas with my invisible Bladedancer. Of self-rezzing in a Nightfall to save the day.

But we'll never have that again. Destiny 1's tagline is "Become Legend."

The problem is... we did.

gspec

To preface all this, I can't wait to play the beta.That will be the real test. I'm really excited to get my hands on the game. A lot of changes, particularly those that were causing the most friction, look really positive, but I'm not sure about the core gameplay loop.

So I'm not sure how I'm feeling about what I've seen to be honest. Destiny 1 was nerf after nerf after nerf, all because of PvP. I was excited that Destiny 2 is to quote Lukems, "an integer", because it'd let them take a step back and really reset. I was hoping that we'd get our power back. But instead, it seems like we're going to continue losing it.

Blink? Gone.
Bubble? Gone.
Self-rez? Gone.
Invis? Gone.

Dawncaller looks like a reskin of Sunbreaker. Striker is now a roaming super like all the rest.

It feels like a lot of the unique and powerful stuff is getting removed. And based on the gameplay from the reveal, we won't be getting more powerful. The Striker R1 shouldercharge super doesnt' even kill Red Bar enemies. Melees take THREE hits to kill. Kill times are right around ~1 sec and the handling doesn't look improved at all. We're losing a Special/Heavy for another Primary. Another pea shooter.

There are times I wish I had never played Year 1. Because I still have the memory of Fatebringer, Black Hammer, Gjallarhorn. Of blink and saving runs at Skolas with my invisible Bladedancer. Of self-rezzing in a Nightfall to save the day.

This is my problem as well. They didn't balance anything. Just removed stuff that was fun, unique, and special to make it easier for bungie. They made the time to kill longer as well as got rid of stuff that give players a temporary advantage (invisible, self rez, bubble) to make the game harder to continue to hide the modest content they will have for the game. I will try the beta but as for now i won't be buying the game.

I'm happy that bubble and self-res are gone. The former basically dictated that titans had to use defender in all raids. Self-res meant too many warlocks sat on their supers or were pressured into running it over other options by their teams.

PvE lethality needn't go down just because PvP has slowed down a little.

I'm skeptical about the weapon slot changes, though I am happy to hear that it's been that way for a year on the development side. I hope there's a reason to use a shotgun over a sword.

Looking forward to either playing the beta or reading people's impressions if I can't.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
My one hope was 4 player fire teams in Destiny 2. There's absolutely no chance of that happening now, is there? The reveal implied 3 player fire teams..

That limitation has turned away people, and I feel like 4 is a magic number.

Arrrammis

My one hope was 4 player fire teams in Destiny 2. There's absolutely no chance of that happening now, is there? The reveal implied 3 player fire teams..

That limitation has turned away people, and I feel like 4 is a magic number.

3 player PvE teams, 4 player PvP, 6 player raids are basically confirmed. I really hope they do some cool stuff in the end like 6 player patrols.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
3 player PvE teams, 4 player PvP, 6 player raids are basically confirmed. I really hope they do some cool stuff in the end like 6 player patrols.

That sucks. :/

There's been so many times I've had 4 players wanting to play Destiny PvE but we all can't group together. That limitation goes against what Bungie claims Destiny is.

6 player patrols, given that there's a lot of content to do, could make up for it tho. I doubt we'll get that but you never know.

LTWood12

Blink? Gone.
Bubble? Gone.
Self-rez? Gone.
Invis? Gone.

Those were all science FANTASY stuff. Really unique things that other games didn't have. Dawncaller looks like a reskin of Sunbreaker. Striker is now a roaming super like all the rest. Those abilities all played VERY different. Where you placed your bubble MATTERED. When to invis to save a rez MATTERED. When to drop your smash to counter a super MATTERED. When to Self-rez MATTERED. Now every super is an elemental reskin of another class' roaming super ability. It feels like a lot of the unique and powerful stuff is getting removed. Add to that subclass trees are getting fine tuned down to A or B. No more customization. The playspace is shrinking.

And based on the gameplay from the reveal, we won't be getting more powerful. The Striker R1 shouldercharge super doesn't even kill Red Bar enemies. Melees take THREE hits to kill. Kill times are right around ~1 sec and the handling doesn't look improved at all. We're losing a Special/Heavy for another Primary. Another pea shooter.

All the classes will have a roaming super that's more or less the same. Each subclass only has option A or option B. Everyone has pea shooters for primaries. Power ammo is rare, so you can't be a hero with a shotgun and a rocket launcher.

I'll echo your concerns. Looking forward to what we see tonight, and to playing the game with the community. But it definitely looks like they sanitized things.

Trakan

Blink? Gone.
Bubble? Gone.
Self-rez? Gone.
Invis? Gone.

Those were all science FANTASY stuff. Really unique things that other games didn't have. Dawncaller looks like a reskin of Sunbreaker. Striker is now a roaming super like all the rest. (Which is sad because Striker actually got to a good place in PvE at the end. You could generate 7 orbs easy & clear a mob or kill a yellowbar.) Those abilities all played VERY different. Where you placed your bubble MATTERED. When to invis to save a rez MATTERED. When to drop your smash to counter a super MATTERED. When to Self-rez MATTERED. Now every super is an elemental reskin of another class' roaming super ability. It feels like a lot of the unique and powerful stuff is getting removed. Add to that subclass trees are getting fine tuned down to A or B. No more customization. The playspace is shrinking.

All the classes will have a roaming super that's more or less the same (when you compare it against things like self-rez or a bubble). Each subclass only has option A or option B. Everyone has pea shooters for primaries. Power ammo is rare, so you can't be a hero with a shotgun and a rocket launcher.

I'm not pining to get those abilities back. I was hoping for a reset. For something new and powerful. Not new, but similar. Class abilities (wall, dodge, buff) are a step in the right direction there. I just wish everything else wasn't getting trimmed down too.

I'll argue that Bubble/Self-res/Invis were gamebreaking at times so I understand them being gone, but otherwise you are 100% correct.

Deku Tree

It's hard to look at removals without knowing how the rest of the game is balanced. It looks like they are going for an overall more offensive feel to the whole game which might mean that some of the bosses get nerfed too. Their health pool will be balanced around primary DPS etc. unless heavy is more abundant in PvE. I think they're gonna get the overall game balance right but we have to wait three more months to find out.

I'll argue that Bubble/Self-res/Invis were gamebreaking at times so I understand them being gone, but otherwise you are 100% correct.

But that's the point. They were gamebreaking. And as a result, cool and powerful. Like Icebreaker. What other game has a sniper rifle that refills its own ammo?

The best stuff in Destiny is the stuff that broke the rules. Twilight Garrison. Shadestep. TITAN SKATING. There should be more gamebreaking stuff, not less. That was my hope with an "Integer" Reset.

ramyeon

Fear's Embrace
Hardest story mission in the game.
I've definitely noticed a bit of a difficulty bump post-Regicide. I'm level 40 and 370-something LL but a lot of the missions are still rated "Hard" for me when before it's almost always been set to "Easy".

I died a bunch in Paradox, there's a point in the Templar room of the Vault where Taken assault you and it got really overwhelming. Minotaurs and Goblins blasting you with rockets and those nasty Fallen captains teleporting around and rushing you with their melee constantly,

I'm not a fan of gamebreaking, especially in PvE as it quickly becomes the expected standard. To the point where people stack the gamebreaking as best they can to completely nullify encounter mechanics. And you end up with people who never bother with learning the technical aspects of mechanics. And navigating and executing the mechanics as a group is the most engaging part of PvE for me.

This isn't to say that I prefer homogenizing a game for the sake of limiting gamebreaking. But that when you have abilities/weapons/armor/whatever that's gamebreaking.. it needs to be adjusted or when it can't be adjusted without being ruined, replaced.

I'm not a fan of gamebreaking, especially in PvE as it quickly becomes the expected standard. To the point where people stack the gamebreaking as best they can to completely nullify encounter mechanics. And you end up with people who never bother with learning the technical aspects of mechanics. And navigating and executing the mechanics as a group is the most engaging part of PvE for me.

This isn't to say that I prefer homogenizing a game for the sake of limiting gamebreaking. But that when you have abilities/weapons/armor/whatever that's gamebreaking.. it needs to be adjusted or when it can't be adjusted without being ruined, replaced.

There's gamebreaking as in OP, and yes, powercreep is a concern, as is brute forcing as you mention. But I'm maybe talking about rule breaking more? Things that provide additional options, rather than straight power enhancements. Or mechanics and play styles that play uniquely.

For example, take our new/revised Supers: Dawncaller, new Striker, Arcstrider. They all play the same as all the other roaming Supers. You make the same meta decisions of when to pop it & why.

But self-Rez, Bubble, Invis Blade, those each have their own unique decisions as to when to use them & why.

There's gamebreaking as in OP, and yes, powercreep is a concern, as is brute forcing as you mention. But I'm maybe talking about rule breaking more? Things that provide additional options, rather than straight power enhancements.

Certainly. However, with the exception of the class trees being simplified, the changes that I've seen thus far have been made to prevent breaking the game. Things like Defender being exclusively requested of Titans, to the point that Raids often requested at least two Defenders to alternate Bubble+Buff. Things like Gjall being requested almost exclusively for certain fights to instagib bosses.

So removing the Bubble and replacing with a Shield that crosses all sub-classes is an improvement. Shifting the buffs over to Warlocks across all sub-classes is an improvement. It opens those classes up to still filling their roles without being pressured into playing a single sub-class while also removing the handicap built into their previous supers (Bubble and Self Res). Moving the most powerful weapons to the Heavy slot and limiting Heavy ammo.. allows those weapons to still be super powerful but much more difficult to exploit. So the strategy is forced to shift from Bring Flavor of the Month Class equipped with OP weapon loadouts, back to forcing players to learn the encounters and execute them.

That's the feeling that I enjoy most about Y1 Destiny. It's a big part of why I feel VoG left the best impression on players (at least until everyone found out a full group of Gjall would melt Atheon). And by bringing the power creep back down.. hopefully they don't feel the need to over-design content like they did with King's Fall. The first 2-3 Weeks of VoG experience was absolutely the sweet spot in my mind.

Certainly. However, with the exception of the class trees being simplified, the changes that I've seen thus far have been made to prevent breaking the game. Things like Defender being exclusively requested of Titans, to the point that Raids often requested at least two Defenders to alternate Bubble+Buff. Things like Gjall being requested almost exclusively for certain fights to instagib bosses.

So removing the Bubble and replacing with a Shield that crosses all sub-classes is an improvement. Shifting the buffs over to Warlocks across all sub-classes is an improvement. It opens those classes up to still filling their roles without being pressured into playing a single sub-class while also removing the handicap built into their previous supers (Bubble and Self Res). Moving the most powerful weapons to the Heavy slot and limiting Heavy ammo.. allows those weapons to still be super powerful but much more difficult to exploit. So the strategy is forced to shift from Bring Flavor of the Month Class equipped with OP weapon loadouts, back to forcing players to learn the encounters and execute them.

That's the feeling that I enjoy most about Y1 Destiny. It's a big part of why I feel VoG left the best impression on players (at least until everyone found out a full group of Gjall would melt Atheon). And by bringing the power creep back down.. hopefully they don't feel the need to over-design content like they did with King's Fall. The first 2-3 Weeks of VoG experience was absolutely the sweet spot in my mind.

Enjoying the discussion, man.

The class abilities are a cool idea and I'm excited to see where they're going. It looks like they're trying to make good on the unstated design goal of:

Titans : Strength
Hunters: Agility
Warlocks: Recovery

I will grant you that Bubbles were too good for end game PvE and were pigeon-holing players. Same with Gjally. I get grief from my raid group because I run Striker during raids. (It's actually amazing for clearing mobs and yellowbars.) And yes, absolutely, it's easier to sand a pebble than raise the road. But with a 2.0 release, I was hoping they'd build a road.

How many heroes are in Overwatch. How many different Ultimates do they have? We have 9 classes, but there's so much similarity between them all. I was hoping that Destiny 2 would capitalize on what we love about Destiny and then introduce a bunch more. Instead, we're getting a double-down on what works well and shaving off what was difficult or gamebreaking before.

Enjoying the discussion, man.

The class abilities are a cool idea and I'm excited to see where they're going. It looks like they're trying to make good on the unstated design goal of:

Titans : Strength
Hunters: Agility
Warlocks: Recovery

I will grant you that Bubbles were too good for end game PvE and were pigeon-holing players. Same with Gjally. I get grief from my raid group because I run Striker during raids. (It's actually amazing for clearing mobs and yellowbars.) And yes, absolutely, it's easier to sand a pebble than raise the road. But with a 2.0 release, I was hoping they'd build a road.

How many heroes are in Overwatch. How many different Ultimates do they have? We have 9 classes, but there's so much similarity between them all. I was hoping that Destiny 2 would capitalize on what we love about Destiny and then introduce a bunch more. Instead, we're getting a double-down on what works well and shaving off what was difficult or gamebreaking before.

Ah ok. I understand your stance a bit more clearly now. And I also would have welcomed more additions. More class archetypes definitely. I suppose the reason I'm not disappointed by that not happening is because they've shown, so far, that they've put such focus on making changes to essentially stablize the base experience. Which I can understand because there is such a fervent and vocal Anti-Destiny voice in the gaming community. It shows that Bungie is acknowledging that they made mistakes and they're focused on fixing those mistakes first and foremost. I find that to reflect solid design direction. Once the base experience is solid (and hopefully it truly is) then they can add more. It's a much better approach than just adding a bunch of stuff without addressing the root problems, which would just exacerbate the issues.

Ah ok. I understand your stance a bit more clearly now. And I also would have welcomed more additions. More class archetypes definitely. I suppose the reason I'm not disappointed by that not happening is because they've shown, so far, that they've put such focus on making changes to essentially stablize the base experience. Which I can understand because there is such a fervent and vocal Anti-Destiny voice in the gaming community. It shows that Bungie is acknowledging that they made mistakes and they're focused on fixing those mistakes first and foremost. I find that to reflect solid design direction. Once the base experience is solid (and hopefully it truly is) then they can add more. It's a much better approach than just adding a bunch of stuff without addressing the root problems, which would just exacerbate the issues.

But that is exactly my point, right there. Taken King & Rise of Iron fixed so many complaints from the community & then some. It was stable & solid. You can't address root problems in an expansion, so this is the time to add more. An integer release is your best chance for big shakeups & adding new things because you can build the whole road at once, rather than trying to fix current problems and build. But from what I've seen so far, we're getting something that isn't bold and new. It's safe and familiar.

We'll see. We've seen precious little of the game. It's easy to forget that we've really only had short events to show the game, when each of the yearly expansions had 5 weeks of 4 hour streams.

The beta will be the big test.

darthbob

QnLofYI.png

https://twitter.com/UrkMcGurk/status/874454847596019713

https://blog.activision.com/t5/Dest...ew-Trailer-New-Launch-Date-Beta/ba-p/10282050

Activision said:
Destiny 2 is now slated to launch on console earlier than expected, and is now scheduled for September 6. Also, the PC version is schedule to launch on October 24,

Activision said:
Players who pre-order† the game will be able to participate in the console beta beginning first on the PlayStation 4 on July 18 at 10am PDT, and on Xbox One beginning on July 19 at 10am PDT. After that pre-order early access period, the beta will open up to all console players on July 21 at 10am PDT, and will conclude on July 23 at 9pm PDT. The PC beta is planned for late August, and we will have more details soon.

Top Bottom