• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Destiny is a game that constantly asks you to replay the same content over and over.

The number of these activities can help keep the game feeling fresh.

No matter how good a Strike/PVP map is, you likely don't want to repeat it.
Well considering how much I played destiny vanilla I can say with confidence that won't effect me.

GhaleonEB

3 classes
2-3 subclasses for each class
1 raid
X number of strikes. We don't know but we can guess it will be close to d1 vamilla
X number of pvp maps. We can guess around 10 right?
How do we know the story is longer? Do you think the story will be 2x longer? 1.5x? How repayable will it be? We don't know.
Weapon types, what's new? Lmg is gone.
4 planets to explore.
1 social space

The amount of content and diversity of content is extremely close to that of d1 vanilla. Aside from a coherent story, it's almost beat for beat.

Destiny doesn't really bullet point out like this. The EDZ is supposed to be >2x the Cosmodrome, and has far more things to do in it (adventures, lost sectors, flash points, etc) and feature far more active players in a space than D1. Most strikes since vanilla Destiny released have featured rotating or branching encounters vs. the fixed in the original game - does D2? The area covered in the new strike is immense, far more than anything in D1. Is the raid CE sized or WotM sized? Will challenge modes be there from day 1?

We don't know how many maps, modes, social spaces, etc. But we do know the one social space they've shown will change and evolve over the course of the game, and has several activities built within it, which already makes it more interesting than any of the ones in D1.

Reducing all that to a bullet list is a disservice to honest discussion about it.

The only things that I can think of that you could bullet out well are the class/subclass, number of missions and volume of Crucible content. (I'm quite disappointed about the class/subclass situation, myself).

Destiny doesn't really bullet point out like this. The EDZ is supposed to be >2x the Cosmodrome, and has far more things to do in it (adventures, lost sectors, flash points, etc) and feature far more active players in a space than D1. Most strikes since vanilla Destiny released have featured rotating or branching encounters vs. the fixed in the original game - does D2? The area covered in the new strike is immense, far more than anything in D1. Is the raid CE sized or WotM sized? Will challenge modes be there from day 1?

We don't know how many maps, modes, social spaces, etc. But we do know the one social space they've shown will change and evolve over the course of the game, and has several activities built within it, which already makes it more interesting than any of the ones in D1.

Reducing all that to a bullet list is a disservice to honest discussion about it.

The only things that I can think of that you could bullet out well are the class/subclass, number of missions and volume of Crucible content. (I'm quite disappointed about the class/subclass situation, myself).

There are certainly new things being added to D2. But Bungie has been so secretive and vague about them that I don't really even know the extent of what we are getting. Again, this is why I'm getting d1 vanilla vibes. They won't even confirm if we will have 3 subclasses per class at launch.

The story does look better. And some things we are being promised about evolving social spaces sounds cool. But it's all talk and promises until we see what's actually in store.

Everyone plays destiny for their own reasons. I personally love collecting everything (kiosks), completing record books, and the raid. If people are excited, that's totally cool. But I'm a bit worried.

Number45

No, you do not need to complete everything in the book to max it out at Rank 7 for the shirt. My Trials page is completely untouched and my Raid and Strikes pages only have 1-2 nodes completed and I reached Rank 7 easily.
Nice, thanks. I guess I'll go for it then.

GhaleonEB

There are certainly new things being added to D2. But Bungie has been so secretive and vague about them that I don't really even know the extent of what we are getting. Again, this is why I'm getting d1 vanilla vibes. They won't even confirm if we will have 3 subclasses per class at launch.

The story does look better. And some things we are being promised about evolving social spaces sounds cool. But it's all talk and promises until we see what's actually in store.

Everyone plays destiny for their own reasons. I personally love collecting everything (kiosks), completing record books, and the raid. If people are excited, that's totally cool. But I'm a bit worried.
I think healthy skepticism based on Destiny's launch is pretty reasonable. As is not being aware of everything they've talked about and described in some detail, because it's filtered through interviews and such rather than centrally presented by Bungie. And they're definitely holding back on what they are showing.

That said, my read of why they are restrained is different. This is Bungie acting much more confident in their game than they were with Destiny 1. They don't need to show as much, because people understand now what Destiny is. They have actual story and actual surprises they don't want to spoil (Luke has been very specific about this) and are holding back on showing as much as possible for that reason. Between what they've shown and talked about, I think that's pretty clear, but again, healthy skepticism/grounded expectations always pay off. The size of the public spaces and the activities on them, the way lore is integrated, the simple fact that side quests are even a thing, the size of the Farm, what you do on it, etc. all point to a much more ambitious game.

Also...

i think they're probably averse to promising something in case it doesn't pan out
They've been on under-promise, over-deliver mode since TTK, flipping the expectations game that occurred when D1 launched.

KaKaRi

So guys, when are we going to start organizing the GAF clan for D2?
Do you think its already available in the BETA?

Trakan

I think this is key.

For some reason people had weird expectations for Destiny 2.

As I said - different rules seem to apply to D2 for no good reason.

It's getting annoying reading the "weird expectations" comments all the time. Nobody expected D2 to be a completely different game. They expected more than just "more Destiny 1." If they would have shown a video at the reveal event of a brand new class playing a new subclass fighting a new enemy race, you would be hearing a lot less complaining. Even without 60fps or servers.

D1 launched with 3 new classes and 2 new subclasses for each. I don't think expecting that for D2 is unreasonable. The "new" subclasses barely qualify - there are many recycled grenades/melees/perks. Even TTK launched with more than this game will in that regard. It was probably the most exciting thing coming in a sequel IMO.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Exactly a new foundation. There is no real continuity between both titles which has me befuddled at the decision to call it D2. Though I'm not hung up on what they decided to call it. What I'm more about is what they've done to add to the current Destiny experience, which isn't much in my opinion. You get the 'expansion' discussion because new [old activities] were a given, where are the new activities? Why aren't they being demonstrated?As far as content exclusively in Destiny 2 they've discussed Lost Sector and some new PVP modes. It's clear people were expecting more, myself included.

I don't get these types of expectations: did you want them to completely re-do the game from the ground up taking obviously a few more years then, to get the content out?

Sequels revamp far more than they reinvent....I don't get why Destiny is getting singled out in this, every other popular game does the same thing: slight evolution is far more frequent than the 1.5->2.0 revolution everyone seems to expect from Bungie.

It's getting annoying reading the "weird expectations" comments all the time. Nobody expected D2 to be a completely different game. They expected more than just "more Destiny 1." If they would have shown a video at the reveal event of a brand new class playing a new subclass fighting a new enemy race, you would be hearing a lot less complaining. Even without 60fps or servers.

D1 launched with 3 new classes and 2 new subclasses for each. I don't think expecting that for D2 is unreasonable. The "new" subclasses barely qualify - there are many recycled grenades/melees/perks. Even TTK launched with more than this game will in that regard. It was probably the most exciting thing coming in a sequel IMO.

That's the thing though...I personally don't see 'more of Destiny 1', since there's so much new stuff that wasn't in Destiny 1.

Also, it hasn't even revealed that it doesn't have time to reveal yet, so we have no idea of the real amount of content in release D2, etc.

Ryuuga

Banned
I don't get these types of expectations: did you want them to completely re-do the game from the ground up taking obviously a few more years then, to get the content out?

Sequels revamp far more than they reinvent....I don't get why Destiny is getting singled out in this, every other popular game does the same thing: slight evolution is far more frequent than the 1.5->2.0 revolution everyone seems to expect from Bungie.

I've stated numerous times where my expectations lie as far as Destiny is concerned. I'll just leave it at you not understanding. If you seek clarification see my previous posts on the subject.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I've stated numerous times where my expectations lie as far as Destiny is concerned. I'll just leave it at you not understanding. If you seek clarification see my previous posts on the subject.

I understand your post...I just don't agree.

Destiny 2 is as much of a sequel as any other sequel I've seen: the odd expectations is the point in contention here obviously.

Spicy Ramen Shop T-Shirt
SL0bnb0.png

nO4r3aj.png

Very necessary
gSksQUs.png

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Clans on GAF should be broken up to time zones and whichever group wants to create a GAF social club

If you hang out with Lady Kadey and her Choo-Choo train, best for her to be Leader and invite those who always tag along and then fill roster

Repeat for other GAF Generals who want to take up the GAF Clan mantles

I'm a Unrestricted Free Agent, I'm looking for TOP $$$$Glimmer$$$$, this resource hog is good for it!
Also want a No Trade Clause!
I'm looking for absurdity, like Steph Curry absurd payday
You know our clan rank will be maxed by the weekend the way I grind and farm!

Have at it!

GlamFM

Banned
Clans on GAF should be broken up to time zones and whichever group wants to create a GAF social club

If you hang out with Lady Kadey and her Choo-Choo train, best for her to be Leader and invite those who always tag along and then fill roster

Repeat for other GAF Generals who want to take up the GAF Clan mantles

I'm a Unrestricted Free Agent, I'm looking for TOP $$$$Glimmer$$$$, this resource hog is good for it!
Also want a No Trade Clause!
I'm looking for absurdity, like Steph Curry absurd payday
You know our clan rank will be maxed by the weekend the way I grind and farm!

Have at it!

Not entirely sure if I will be part of DGAF for D2 or if I will go at it with friends only at slower pace.

It really depends on the tone in here once the game hits.

Ever since we lost our leader and a lot of quality contributors have moved on to discord (wich does not do it for me) the tone in here has shifted significantly.

I just want to have fun damnit!

Ryuuga

Banned
Not entirely sure if I will be part of DGAF for D2 or if I will go at it with friends only at slower pace.

It really depends on the tone in here once the game hits.

Ever since we lost our leader and a lot of quality contributors have moved on to discord (wich does not do it for me) the tone in here has shifted significantly.

I just want to have fun damnit!

I'm curious what you mean by tone. Also you should never let other the opinion of others detract from your enjoyment of the game. I apologize if I'm reading into this wrong, but discussions go both ways.

GlamFM

Banned
I'm curious what you mean by tone. Also you should never let other the opinion of others detract from your enjoyment of the game. I apologize if I'm reading into this wrong, but discussions go both ways.

I'm all for discussion although I preferred this community when it was mostly a celebration.

Overall the tone is too negative and gets closer and closer to gaming side talk.

Gragen

Negativity breeds negativity. Human nature.

Number45

I'm all for discussion although I preferred this community when it was mostly a celebration.

Overall the tone is too negative and gets closer and closer too gaming side talk.
I imagine the OT will settle down after the launch period when it settles to the core of people playing the game. I've just started playing again after a few months off and I would imagine a lot of others are taking a break.

Agree about Discord though, I prefer discussion here.

Magik

Overall the tone is too negative and gets closer and closer to gaming side talk.

I'd recommend to not let it get to you. Go for a break from anything Destiny related till the Beta or even the actually release of D2.

Once D2 actually drops things will go back to what it was in the past unless the game is utter trash. lol

GlamFM

Banned
I'd recommend to not let it get to you. Go for a break from anything Destiny related till the Beta or even the actually release of D2.

Once D2 actually drops things will go back to what it was in the past unless the game is utter trash. lol

That's the dream.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm turning the negativity from haters into my own entertainment. It's easy to tell the people who are hating on it just for the sake of hating on it. And I'm still enjoying the game as of now despite some flaws. Reds have been good this week. If D2 were like this it would be a godsend.

Deku Tree

I just stop reading the haters. It is easy to tell the difference between criticism and haters. Criticism is important. It can’t just be a love fest all the time.

Ernie, how!?
Was trying to get grenade kills for Nightstalker quest and wasn't getting kills with anything at all. Nightstalker is not great for Clash (for me). Was not a good night to say the least. At least I finished the Thorn quest after finally getting it.

Anybody interested in running through WotM and King's Fall some time? Still haven't done them and would like to get them for the AoT (along with VoG and Crota 390).

LukeSmith

Was trying to get grenade kills for Nightstalker quest and wasn't getting kills with anything at all. Nightstalker is not great for Clash (for me). Was not a good night to say the least. At least I finished the Thorn quest after finally getting it.

Anybody interested in running through WotM and King's Fall some time? Still haven't done them and would like to get them for the AoT (along with VoG and Crota 390).

Go Blue

Dineren

Banned
Really stupid question here, but my friends no longer play Destiny much so I've been looking into other places to find a fireteam and in the bungie recruitment site everyone says "add me". Does that just mean add them as a friend or is there some other way to add them as a fireteam member?

WipedOut

Really stupid question here, but my friends no longer play Destiny much so I've been looking into other places to find a fireteam and in the bungie recruitment site everyone says "add me". Does that just mean add them as a friend or is there some other way to add them as a fireteam member?

Add them as a friend on either PSN or Xbox

PSN - W193D0UT

A couple of my friends are gonna hop on to play a little destiny for fun but we never bought the last expansion. Is there even anything new for us to do in terms of content?

ramyeon

So how do Iron Banner post game drops work? Do only the types of armour and weapons available from the vendor drop? Really keen to get the Camelot Casque helm but I haven't see any helms drop.

Top Bottom