• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Hesemonni

Banned
I said I'd go Playstation platform come Destiny 2 due to problems finding people to play with in the EU, but LFG is such an awesome feature for a game without its own matchmaking that if PSN doesn't have a similar feature by the release of D2 I'll just go Scorpio.

You had to be there for Vault of Glass in its prime time.

You had to watch the community wander its cavern walls to uncover its mysteries.
You had to figure out how to beat the bosses.
You had to find the next chest.
You had to be there when somebody was giving out checkpoints for the chests.
You had to spend 30 minutes wiping on Gorgons.
You had to spend another 30 minutes waiting for the last guy to beat the jumping puzzle.
You had to be there when everybody used Icebreaker in their special slot and avoided half of the encounters.
You had to be there when Warlocks were actually wanted because of their self res and grenades.
You had to be there when every weapon drop was worth getting.
You had to be there when someone got a Fatebringer after 3 months of raiding on all 3 characters.
You had to be there when people made 3 of the same class to get their last piece of armor to drop.
You had to be there when someone got a Mythoclast and everyone else unfriended them.
You had to be there when we figured out how to push Atheon off of the arena to get them super quick regardless.
You had to be there when Atheon didn't randomly teleport people so you could spec for the portal and not worry about running out of ammo in your Gjallarhorn.
You had to be there when everyone had a Gjallarhorn and killed Atheon in 6 seconds.
You had to be there when somebody tripped on a flawless run.
You had to be there when everyone was broke and glimmer farming gatekeepers.
You had to be there when everyone was level 29 and a level 30 minotaur was the most challenging enemy you would ever face on your own.
You had to wonder what a first person raid felt like and where Bungie was going to go next.

You just had to be there

This brings back so many memories.

8riD6Wf.jpg

hold on a second
thats one too many for me
so i took one back

Stupid story.

• > me
  • go to gamestop to buy PS4
  • "sorry we only have the $499 FFX edition"
  • go to send gamestop location
  • "we only have COD edition"
  • go to best buy (in case your wondering, i was trying to get a $250 model)
  • "nope, only COD"
  • fuck it, ill buy it
  • back to gamestop
  • me: "can i trade all these games for HZD digital?"
  • gs: "no"
  • me: "... wait, can i trade all these in towards the COD model PS4?"
  • gs: "yes"
  • buy PS4 @ gs for $230 instead
  • return $349 PS4 from best buy
  • + Profit, - Gas
  • snap photo to show you guys
  • i dont know why
  • preorder HZD at bb while im there
  • they said they could have matched the price
  • me: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • fin

Stupid story.

• > me
  • go to gamestop to buy PS4
  • "sorry we only have the $499 FFX edition"
  • go to send gamestop location
  • "we only have COD edition"
  • go to best buy (in case your wondering, i was trying to get a $250 model)
  • "nope, only COD"
  • fuck it, ill buy it
  • back to gamestop
  • me: "can i trade all these games for HZD digital?"
  • gs: "no"
  • me: "... wait, can i trade all these in towards the COD model PS4?"
  • gs: "yes"
  • buy PS4 @ gs for $230 instead
  • return $349 PS4 from best buy
  • + Profit, - Gas
  • snap photo to show you guys
  • i dont know why
  • preorder HZD at bb while im there
  • they said they could have matched the price
  • me: ¯_(ツ)_/¯
  • fin

lol I've done something similar, just not with video games.

Doubt it, or else Sony would see an giant influx in account transfers. Its fine, though. I just renewed my life last month so M$ has this year to make something worth it for me.

I havent owned a PS since the 2 cause I hated the D-pad, I even had a purple madcatz controller which had the circular D-pad and carried it everywhere in case someone wants to stunt with their PS2 at they crib that NO ONE was allowed to use (I had 3 other base controllers).

I'll try to find that thread. So far my list of PS4 games are:

1. The Last of Us
    [*]Horizon Zero Dawn
    [*]Gravity Rush 2
    [*]Yakuza 0
    [*]Ratchet and Clank
    [*]Nioh or Bloodborne (or both classics IMO)
    [*]SFV or Guilty Gear if you like fighters
    [*]Until Dawn
    [*]Resogun
    [*]Persona 5
    [*]FF15
    [*]FF14 (if you have friends, as fun as Destiny IMO)
    [*]TLG (if you like puzzles)
    [*]RE7
    [*]VR

Some nice suggestions, dunno what type of games you like, so just spread out the genres somewhat.

GazzaGSi

Hi all,

Really LTTP with Destiny but bought the collection during the PSN Christmas sale and made a start earlier in the week.

I started off with choosing Hunter and today reached level 40, 208 LL. My time spent has been pretty split between story content and the Crucible, I've completed the vanilla missions, a couple of Strikes and the rest has been patrols for PVE content.

Should I now start on The dark below and House of wolves missions and improve on my LL that way for the time being? I think I may have spent too much time in the Crucible levelling up and now the PVE content is pretty a pretty low level requirement. Do these scale to my level and will I still get gear upgrades doing these?

It all seems a little overwhelming at the minute with how much stuff I've got to complete, upgrade and tbh, I still don't really know what I'm doing, the currencies or know names of characters, vendors, factions, infusing etc etc.

On a positive side though, I'm so glad I bought it and having an absolute blast! Really loving RIFT and Mayhem Clash!

Dthomp

Hi all,

Really LTTP with Destiny but bought the collection during the PSN Christmas sale and made a start earlier in the week.

I started off with choosing Hunter and today reached level 40, 208 LL. My time spent has been pretty split between story content and the Crucible, I've completed the vanilla missions, a couple of Strikes and the rest has been patrols for PVE content.

Should I now start on The dark below and House of wolves missions and improve on my LL that way for the time being? I think I may have spent too much time in the Crucible levelling up and now the PVE content is pretty a pretty low level requirement. Do these scale to my level and will I still get gear upgrades doing these?

It all seems a little overwhelming at the minute with how much stuff I've got to complete, upgrade and tbh, I still don't really know what I'm doing, the currencies or know names of characters, vendors, factions, infusing etc etc.

On a positive side though, I'm so glad I bought it and having an absolute blast! Really loving RIFT and Mayhem Clash!

Never thougth I'd see this phrase used. Glad you're enjoying yourself however. If you are enjoying the story I always say play it all to get the whole thing done. Nothing you get from them will probably be of use to you other then engrams.

GazzaGSi

Never thougth I'd see this phrase used. Glad you're enjoying yourself however. If you are enjoying the story I always say play it all to get the whole thing done. Nothing you get from them will probably be of use to you other then engrams.

Used to be a big capture the flag player so the similarities bode well with me. If the Engrams still have the possibility of an upgrade that's cool with me, do they scale to LL when decrypted then (didn't realise that)?

I do enjoy story content so will work through them first then before focusing too much on other things.

Thanks

NeOak

You had to be there for Vault of Glass in its prime time.

You had to watch the community wander its cavern walls to uncover its mysteries.
You had to figure out how to beat the bosses.
You had to find the next chest.
You had to be there when somebody was giving out checkpoints for the chests.
You had to spend 30 minutes wiping on Gorgons.
You had to spend another 30 minutes waiting for the last guy to beat the jumping puzzle.
You had to be there when everybody used Icebreaker in their special slot and avoided half of the encounters.
You had to be there when Warlocks were actually wanted because of their self res and grenades.
You had to be there when every weapon drop was worth getting.
You had to be there when someone got a Fatebringer after 3 months of raiding on all 3 characters.
You had to be there when people made 3 of the same class to get their last piece of armor to drop.
You had to be there when someone got a Mythoclast and everyone else unfriended them.
You had to be there when we figured out how to push Atheon off of the arena to get them super quick regardless.
You had to be there when Atheon didn't randomly teleport people so you could spec for the portal and not worry about running out of ammo in your Gjallarhorn.
You had to be there when everyone had a Gjallarhorn and killed Atheon in 6 seconds.
You had to be there when somebody tripped on a flawless run.
You had to be there when everyone was broke and glimmer farming gatekeepers.
You had to be there when everyone was level 29 and a level 30 minotaur was the most challenging enemy you would ever face on your own.
You had to wonder what a first person raid felt like and where Bungie was going to go next.

You just had to be there

/tear

Mindlog

Jumped the Hellmouth on a Sparrow.
What's left do do?

I pretty much have the hang of maximum airtime on a sparrow now. Just have to nail Destiny's version of triple-chording so side boost gives me more forward momentum. Ready for the next sparrow-based jumping puzzle.
Used to be a big capture the flag player so the similarities bode well with me. If the Engrams still have the possibility of an upgrade that's cool with me, do they scale to LL when decrypted then (didn't realise that)?

I do enjoy story content so will work through them first then before focusing too much on other things.

Thanks
Important note. Always slot everything to your highest light level when decrypting because yes they scale and if you forget they will decrypt below usefulness.
If you want to maximize how quickly you level don't decrypt engrams from slots that are already higher than your other items.

Example - Your overall LL is 350, but your gloves are 356. Save all glove engrams until your overall LL is closer to 356.

Hi all,

Yes, you should proceed with Dark Below and House of Wolves, move on the Taken King and finally finish up with Rise of Iron story stuff. By the time you finish, you should be 350+ Light level.

Individually the dlc's didn't have a lot of content but combined it can feel like there is a lot, especially with the quests system added in Taken King.

The highlight of Destiny is the raids though, so you want to try and experience them asap...they're the best content Destiny has to offer, but unlike the incursions in the Division, there is no matchmaking for raids.

That said, if you need help with anything in Destiny, let me know :)

GazzaGSi

Yes, you should proceed with Dark Below and House of Wolves, move on the Taken King and finally finish up with Rise of Iron story stuff. By the time you finish, you should be 350+ Light level.

Individually the dlc's didn't have a lot of content but combined it can feel like there is a lot, especially with the quests system added in Taken King.

The highlight of Destiny is the raids though, so you want to try and experience them asap...they're the best content Destiny has to offer, but unlike the incursions in the Division, there is no matchmaking for raids.

That said, if you need help with anything in Destiny, let me know :)

Thanks very much, greatly appreciated :)

Important note. Always slot everything to your highest light level when decrypting because yes they scale and if you forget they will decrypt below usefulness.
If you want to maximize how quickly you level don't decrypt engrams from slots that are already higher than your other items.

Example - Your overall LL is 350, but your gloves are 356. Save all glove engrams until your overall LL is closer to 356.

To add to that, make sure you have the max light items equipped when you're finishing PvP, killing boss and finishing quests when talking to NPCs. same applies to those.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hi all,

Start on the Dark Bellow and Wolves. I'm lttp as well and just hit 40 this weekend. However I did all of both quest lines before I got to lvl 25.

You also had to be there when Xur didn't sell Heavy Synth for like a month and everyone had to shoot their weapon into the floor to get heavy ammo back before killing Crota

Vanillalite

Alright GAF I took some screenshots from the app per request.

Here's what I got gear wise from playing all weekend. The last pic of the few things I banked in my vault.

Where should I go from here? Should I post the current quests I got? Last two quests I did were two different strokes on the Dreadnaught.

Dthomp

Some of those will depend on the rolls Vanilla, Eyasluna, the scout rifle, and Hopscotch could be solid to infuse up depending on their rolls

rezn0r

Where should I go from here? Should I post the current quests I got? Last two quests I did were two different strokes on the Dreadnaught.

Buy a legendary ghost for 75 marks, from either the Crucible vendor if you have the rank, or the hunter NPC (downstairs from where you zone in to the Tower, you've gotten quests from them before). That should give you a little boost. Then just keep working on any and all quests you have open & as mentioned above always keep the highest items in each slot equipped. Once you can do the heroic strike playlist you can get to 385 very very easily.

Edit: I should add, hanging out at the Archon's Forge will get you upgrades too, but it's completely random. It's fun at least if you haven't burnt yourself out on it.

If I remember right just by playing/spamming activities that you can do you will easily reach tiers of:
350 (Xur, things you buy with legendary marks, the artifacts you can get in Felwinter Peak by doing the weekly quest "Artifacts of the Iron Lords" <----do this every week on each character, especially since your artifact is 200 right now),
365 (blue drops from everything, as your level approaches 365),
385 (heroic strikes' legendary&better drops),
and then 390 (rank up packages).

From 390 to 400 it's all about exotic engrams, Nightfall rewards, the raid's hard mode, Crucible, and Iron Banner (IB being the easiest way to level up in my opinion). All of these things though you'll probably want to be near 385 or higher before jumping into them.

Good luck!

edit again: Sorry I missed your current level, some of what I typed is probably not realistic right now, but the general guideline of level tiers to aim for should be accurate.

pablito

Did Osiris for the first time this weekend

FPS is not a genre of games I'm good at, but holy shit does Osiris prove that. Could barely get a kill.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
IB is coming up and IB is always a good way to get light up. It's supremacy so it's going to be a blood bath.

this is lame..I dont have much time to play this week...and its supremacy overall. : /

Dthomp

They seriously need to readdress matchmaking. I sat waiting for a Supremacy game for almost 5 minutes and then the whole game was a pre-made team of 5 against 4 of us randos. Either that, or cut back which PVP modes are available for certain weeks, cause the pool of players vs. their retarded matchmaking makes it actually hard to physically play this game at times :/

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Why you don't ever play with randoms.

fgfgfgfgf.gif

I have a strict rule with no less than four. The less, the more you run into communists.

Why you don't ever play with randoms.

fgfgfgfgf.gif

I have a strict rule with no less than four. The less, the more you run into communists.

Fair enough, but I was the only person online at 1:30 am CST :)

dang, felt like doing some grinding tonight so didn't join in on the train. maybe next time I can help with that problem. I promise I would at least move around or spin in place a little at least.

Vanillalite

Some of those will depend on the rolls Vanilla, Eyasluna, the scout rifle, and Hopscotch could be solid to infuse up depending on their rolls

I've never infused up. How does that work, and when should I be looking to infuse gear vs just looking for a better piece to begin with?

Buy a legendary ghost for 75 marks, from either the Crucible vendor if you have the rank, or the hunter NPC (downstairs from where you zone in to the Tower, you've gotten quests from them before). That should give you a little boost. Then just keep working on any and all quests you have open & as mentioned above always keep the highest items in each slot equipped. Once you can do the heroic strike playlist you can get to 385 very very easily.

Edit: I should add, hanging out at the Archon's Forge will get you upgrades too, but it's completely random. It's fun at least if you haven't burnt yourself out on it.

If I remember right just by playing/spamming activities that you can do you will easily reach tiers of:
350 (Xur, things you buy with legendary marks, the artifacts you can get in Felwinter Peak by doing the weekly quest "Artifacts of the Iron Lords" <----do this every week on each character, especially since your artifact is 200 right now),
365 (blue drops from everything, as your level approaches 365),
385 (heroic strikes' legendary&better drops),
and then 390 (rank up packages).

From 390 to 400 it's all about exotic engrams, Nightfall rewards, the raid's hard mode, Crucible, and Iron Banner (IB being the easiest way to level up in my opinion). All of these things though you'll probably want to be near 385 or higher before jumping into them.

Good luck!

edit again: Sorry I missed your current level, some of what I typed is probably not realistic right now, but the general guideline of level tiers to aim for should be accurate.

Yeah I can't do any of the Rise of Iron shit yet sadly.

What's the best way to get legendary marks beyond just dismantling?

I tried Arena for the first time with Prisoner of Elders. Should I maybe try to do more of that for gear?

Also I still have some quests I can do. I know I had one near the Vault of Glass I was having issues with, but my gear is way better than when I tried the quest early on last weekend. So it might be doable now.

As always thanks for the help GAF!

GazzaGSi

Start on the Dark Bellow and Wolves. I'm lttp as well and just hit 40 this weekend. However I did all of both quest lines before I got to lvl 25.

Thanks, working on them now, Dark below is complete, acouple of missions away from completing Wolves. Had afew hours on the strike play list this morning, got plenty of gear and upgrades through them :)

Shiv47

I've never infused up. How does that work, and when should I be looking to infuse gear vs just looking for a better piece to begin with?

I tried Arena for the first time with Prisoner of Elders. Should I maybe try to do more of that for gear?

Also I still have some quests I can do. I know I had one near the Vault of Glass I was having issues with, but my gear is way better than when I tried the quest early on last weekend. So it might be doable now.

Any legendary/exotic weapon or armor piece can be infused with a higher light item of the same type (primary to primary, helmet to helmet, etc; year 1 stuff cannot be infused). As to whether or not to infuse something or save it, that's up to you and how you play and whether the stats/perks of the item matter to you. Just look for the infusion symbol on the item's detail page, it's in the left most column. Exotics require an exotic shard to infuse, legendaries need marks, glimmer and parts. The lower light item then takes the light level of the higher one.

For marks, do all the daily/weekly stuff in the director page that you're leveled for, it's guaranteed marks every day. Once you get up to playing all the Rise of Iron level stuff, you'll easily be able to earn marks.

moving up the LL food chain. I might actually hit max cap for the first time since HoW

tnGONqt.jpg

also this LDR is godly. hidden hand, injection mold and underdog, which i don't really notice but at least it does something. sniping is fun again
K7LosN5.jpg

E92 M3

You also had to be there when Xur didn't sell Heavy Synth for like a month and everyone had to shoot their weapon into the floor to get heavy ammo back before killing Crota

You also had to be there when people didn't call out that they didn't have rockets when downing Crota.

KappaRoss

Dthomp

Alot of new players around here it seems, if your on PS4 and need/want somebody to run stuff with send me a FR (Dthomp) willing to help, run some crucible trains or whatnot, try to set up some sweet retro raids, etc.

Mindlog

What does it say about the game that Krafy is one of the most prolific streamers in all of Destiny, but he borrows accounts to get a competitive loadout?

GazzaGSi

Alot of new players around here it seems, if your on PS4 and need/want somebody to run stuff with send me a FR (Dthomp) willing to help, run some crucible trains or whatnot, try to set up some sweet retro raids, etc.

Thanks for the the strike runs with Chaf yesterday, got some decent upgrades after sorting through it all :)

is there a late night Destiny GAF out there? I often play til 2 or 3 in the morning (PST) on my day off, so just want to see if anyone out there up for teaming up.

yayaba

You're basically where I am. I just hit 40 over the weekend, had a blast, did mostly story missions and strikes and very little PvP. Finished TTK at level 38 around light level 210.

I'm just doing the daily Crucible playlists for legendary marks. I believe you have like 30 more minutes to get the 30 for this week for the Weekly Playlist, then it'll reset. Then you get 15 for the daily. Unfortunately the other options that give legendary marks like Daily Heroic and Weekly Nightfall are locked out for me and probably you as well since our Light is so low.

You should have also unlocked a ton of quests, I know I did. Some of them give marks also.

I'm just taking my marks and buying the Vanguard class legendary gear from the Tower. Already got my Light to 240 so I'm almost there. Each new gear I get jumps my light 20 to 25 which is pretty sweet since I'm swapping out crappy ~200 gear for ~350 gear.

I'm only really into Destiny for PvE content, Crucible bores me to tears so after RoI that's probably it for me other than occasionally dipping in to play some of that sweet Bungie gunplay. I have a dream to play raids since I haven't tried a single one but the time commitment and planning stop me cold :(

What does it say about the game that Krafy is one of the most prolific streamers in all of Destiny, but he borrows accounts to get a competitive loadout?

Wasn't he borrowing accounts to do 'undercover' carries? Or is that just spin? I don't watch him enough to know his current/desired loadout- the account he was using yesterday had an amazing Eyasluna, Icebreaker, and Ophidian Aspects.

Vanillalite

Is Prisoner of Elders worth doing till completion?

I tried it for the first time over the weekend and I completed the first main deal you can do on the map. That being said it appears you unlock other arena missions around the central mission on the reef map.

Should I do those too or spend my time elsewhere?

Deku Tree

moving up the LL food chain. I might actually hit max cap for the first time since HoW

tnGONqt.jpg

also this LDR is godly. hidden hand, injection mold and underdog, which i don't really notice but at least it does something. sniping is fun again
K7LosN5.jpg

No more H5 Forge?

Dez_

Gonna have to try and hop on for some crucible trains later this week. Been a while since I really dove back into PvP stuff and I kind of miss it.

Is Prisoner of Elders worth doing till completion?

I tried it for the first time over the weekend and I completed the first main deal you can do on the map. That being said it appears you unlock other arena missions around the central mission on the reef map.

Should I do those too or spend my time elsewhere?

Only the first PoE part has matchmaking, the rest of them you'll be on your own unless you party up with other players. It isn't really necessary to complete unless you're looking to complete grimoire cards, but I do personally like to try and complete everything at least once in this game.

Skolas fight was pretty fun, though I first did that in Year 2, so he wasn't that tough anymore. Heard that he was quite a challenge back in year 1.

Top Bottom