• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Mechassaut 2's Galactic Conquest mode

Redbeard

Banned
LiquidThunder posted this at IGN, from the new GI:

"In addition to every game mode and mech from the first game, several new gametypes are being added, the grandaddy of all of them tho, is conquest. In conquest, there is a persistant world of 45 planets. At the get-go, the 45 planets are divided equally into 5 groups of 9, each group being the territory of a single house. When you first load up conquest, you must select a house, then create a clan w/in that house (or join an allready existing clan via an invite). From there, it's a giant fight for territory. Each planet has a certain point value, for instance planet A might be worth 10 points. If planet A is adjacent to a planet your house allready owns, you can attack planet A, and because it's worth 10 points your house must win 10 battles on that planet. The individual battles will take place just like a regular MA2 game would play out, w/ all the various TEAM gametypes being used, but only team, never Free for all play in conquest.

This is the gamemode that will use the xbl 3.0 features like crazy. Say a house starts invading a planet under your possetion, you'll be able to e-mail, txt message, and instant message people from in the game to come help fend of the attackers, or I could send out a huge e-mail to everyone in the squad and organize a huge attack, or i could e-mail another squad and organize a game in advance.

The magazine has some screenshots of the planetary map and it looks super hot.

Also, the article talks about how day 1 will be CONSTANTLY updating the persistant system of planets, dynamically altering their point values, bonuses for holding certain planets, and even completely changing out the entire planetary grid for a whole new one from time to time so that it's always fresh."

Sounds great :D

Wow, now stuff like this is why I originally signed up for Live. It sounds like Day 1 is working extremely hard to make MA2 much more than your typical 3rd-person shooter.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
OMG it's a Trial of Refusal for the whole Galaxy! Wait is this only an online mode?

rastex

Banned
That sounds incredible. I mean, isn't that essentially Planetside without the additional $10 monthly fee?

Nester

Sounds a lot like the old Multiplayer Battletech game EA beta tested and then canned a couple years back. I loved that game.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Ahh this takes me back to the days of Total Anihilation, the persistant world the online play of that rocked.

This should too...only for clans though, guess i need to find a clan..GAF clan maybe?

Azih

That sounds like a crazy timesink. Any clan which has nothing to do but play Mechassault would completely dominate a clan which y'know, does other things (work, social life, other games).

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Azih said:
That sounds like a crazy timesink. Any clan which has nothing to do but play Mechassault would completely dominate a clan which y'know, does other things (work, social life, other games).

Yup the main reason I don't do any online gaming these days.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
the whole point is you're not fighting one clan, the individual houses will be full of loads of clans, so theres always someone up for the challenge, things normally work themselves out so you end up with the 'war' going on and on indefinitely.

BuddyC

Whoa. This is....well, this is enough for me to pick up MechAssault 2 - assuming we get a strong GAF clan together. Damn.

This sounds pretty sweet indeed. It almost sounds like something right out of a Dune novel. This game is SO bought! Damn, my wallet can't take this!!

Azih

Say a house starts invading a planet under your possetion, you'll be able to e-mail, txt message, and instant message people from in the game to come help fend of the attackers, or I could send out a huge e-mail to everyone in the squad and organize a huge attack,
Picture this Phatsaqs. Clan A gets everybody organised and launches attack on Clan B.

Dude in Clan B realises Clan A's attacking. He logs into Live and sends everybody a message. Nobody responds. He franctically emails everyone. No response. It's one mech versus the entire might of Clan A. Clan A wins, and seeing as Clan B isn't doing anything to defend itself, invades all of their planets one by one.

Reason. IT'S FREAKING SUMMER and Clan A is home for the holidays with nothing better to do than play MechAssault all day while everybody but one member of Clan B is WORKING FOR 8 HOURS A DAY.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Azih said:
Picture this Phatsaqs. Clan A gets everybody organised and launches attack on Clan B.

Dude in Clan B realises Clan A's attacking. He logs into Live and sends everybody a message. Nobody responds. He franctically emails everyone. No response. It's one mech versus the entire might of Clan A. Clan A wins, and seeing as Clan B isn't doing anything to defend itself, invades all of their planets one by one.

Reason. IT'S FREAKING SUMMER and Clan A is home for the holidays with nothing better to do than play MechAssault all day while everybody but one member of Clan B is WORKING FOR 8 HOURS A DAY.

That scenario is indeed possible if clans only consist of a handful of players each. But I doubt that'll be the case with this game. I think there'll be a fixed number of clans to avoid it.

Nester

Azih said:

Except that the rest of the clans in that house can pick up the slack for the rest of Clan B that are not available. The core is House versus House, with clans within the houses.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Azih said:

Yes but clan A doesn't attack clan B, read it more carefully. Clan A from house A attacks house B, house B has like 100 clans, so odds are some clan will be around to defend.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Schafer said:
Yes but clan A doesn't attack clan B, read it more carefully. Clan A from house A attacks house B, house B has like 100 clans, so odds are some clan will be around to defend.

what if the whole house decides to attack at once? :)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
DopeyFish said:
what if the whole house decides to attack at once? :)

If they manage to coordinate that many people into a concerted attack, they will probably (and should) win.

teepo

yawn....

nothing like waking up to find out that all the areas you won were lost around 4am. rinse and repeat.

thorns

Banned
Shadowbane (kinda) solved this problem by having windows of attack to occupy a city, and it's the defender who chooses that window, so that you can't go invade somebody at 4am. You just challenge the city, the defender sets the time for the siege, and then you can go invading..

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i wonder if bungie is working on anything similar to this....

Top Bottom