• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detroit Red Wings new downtown arena to be called Little Caesars Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fans will come up with a nickname, Avalanche fans call the Pepsi Center "The Can" which is stupid, but so is everything.
San Jose Sharks rink is called "The Shark Tank", but even SAP Center isn't a terrible name. Sponsoring names are okay, as long as they are decent.

Freaking "Sports Authority at Mile High Field" is stupid and happy they went bankrupt.

Dennis

Banned
Serious question:

I thought Detroit was a shit hole where you could buy a house for $1. Why are they building stadiums?

maxresdefault.jpg

Shiv47

Let's not forget that the scumbag Illitch family is worth $5 billion, but needed to fuck Detroit over for $280 million in taxpayer money for this. In a city that has no money to finance its schools, or a lot of other stuff. And the Illitch family keeps every cent the building makes, despite the public paying for a big chunk of it.

Ponn

Banned
In a world of The Tostito's Bowl can anyone be surprised anymore? Just bacon wrap the hockey pucks.

sk3

Banned
For those ignorant of Red Wings ownership: The illitches own both Little Caesars and the Red wings. They are not making any money from this (Just one arm of the company paying the other - net zero).

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Wait til the company that blows all that dough goes out of business. Fun. Invesco. Sports Authority. Now we got a measure on the ballet to just insist that "Mile High" is in there somewhere.

Can't wait to see those NBA uniform ad spaces too. Welcome to Ferenginar.

theecakee

Better than Arizona's University of Phoenix stadium. That shit is disgusting that a for profit school has enough money to put their name on a stadium.

Quick

Banned
Said it before when the Red Wings come up, but they really need to find a good player named Cecil and make him captain. Also, this arena name is not befitting of hockey's winningest franchise. It's one thing for the New Orleans Pelicans to play at Smoothie King Arena, but this ain't right.

I guess they could change the name anytime the Montreal Canadiens play at the arena.

San Jose Sharks rink is called "The Shark Tank", but even SAP Center isn't a terrible name. Sponsoring names are okay, as long as they are decent.

Freaking "Sports Authority at Mile High Field" is stupid and happy they went bankrupt.

Funny thing is they are the SECOND, yes second company who bought the naming rights to the stadium that went bankrupt. Companies better avoid buying those naming rights asap, maybe we can have it just as Mile High.

Anyways, Ceaser's Arena would have been so much cooler.

Brinbe

Yeah, this is just like Etihad paying for the Man City stadium stadium/kit rights. Or the Rogers Centre. Doesn't mean much of anything when the money is coming in from the owners of the damn team lol. Except as an obvious way to promote their brand. And Little Caesers arena is par for the course and no more or less offensive than any other branded arena out there. Is it any better than the Sleep Train Arena? Or the KFC Yum! Center?

mreddie

Better than Arizona's University of Phoenix stadium. That shit is disgusting that a for profit school has enough money to put their name on a stadium.

Remember Pink Taco wanted the naming rights? Wasn't another local spot gonna get the naming rights?

Zackat

Probably will always be referred to as The Swamp since that's a nickname and not an official name, even if they ever get a corporate sponsor. "Ben Hill Griffin Stadium at Florida Field" isn't quite as catchy, though it is the official name now.

I wonder what Louisville students/fans call their stadium? I assume just "Cardinal Stadium" even though they are sponsored by Papa John's?

Yeah and isn't their basketball arena sponsored by KFC as well?

Serious question:

I thought Detroit was a shit hole where you could buy a house for $1. Why are they building stadiums?

There are still several hundred thousand dollar condos in Detroit. Not sure why you would think otherwise when there are large HQs such as GM in the city. It's mostly the surrounding area that you find abandoned homes in.

WedgeX

Banned

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Being kinda old and remembering Little Caesar's being almost dead in the late 90's, that 15 year gap in the timeline is kind of amusing. They've come along way.

This was my thinking. They were all over in the early 90s and then seemingly everyone near went out of business and skip ten years into the future when I'm in college and several pop up and now they are all over again. Pretty impressive turn around.

PillarEN

A lot of these posts make it sound like they are unaware that the owner of the Red Wings is the owner of Little Caesars Pizza. Not much to the name really. Tough shit it doesn't get an original name but there isn't anything oddball about it being named after something that the owner owns.

Why not go all the way and just re-name the team the Detroit Little Caesars
There are already youth teams named Little Caesars and Bell Tire for example. Local shit.

lupinko

Not surprised. They are "Detroit's pizza" and have sponsored teams for as long as I can remember. Now they in the show for real.

They sponsor said teams because their owners, Mike Ilitch and his family own both the Pizza Chain and said teams.

PillarEN

Royals are owned by the former CEO of Walmart... and they don't call it the Walmart Park.

Well Walmart is hated by millions of people so it isn't necessarily worth putting that name on the stadium. Nobody really gets riled up over pizza unless it was some kind of Chik-Fill-A situation where for a short time people are concerned socially and then eventually forget again.

Sanjuro

Well Walmart is hated by millions of people so it isn't necessarily worth putting that name on the stadium. Nobody really gets riled up over pizza unless it was some kind of Chik-Fill-A situation where for a short time people are concerned socially and then eventually forget again.

That would have nothing to do with Walmart naming a stadium. There is a Target Field.

PillarEN

That would have nothing to do with Walmart naming a stadium. There is a Target Field.

Target gets pats on its backs for being the "progressive" everything store though no? The whole bathroom thing with them just happened. Not much hate for them.

Is there a Bank of America stadium? They get shit on a lot. EDIT: I guess there is. Poor Carolina Panthers. But that's nearly the south so they probably don't mind such a patriotic stadium. I kid I kid.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that any name other than Walmart isn't going to cause a massive uproar.

Sanjuro

Target gets pats on its backs for being the "progressive" everything store though no? The whole bathroom thing with them just happened. Not much hate for them.

Is there a Bank of America stadium? They get shit on a lot. EDIT: I guess there is. Poor Carolina Panthers. But that's nearly the south so they probably don't mind such a patriotic stadium. I kid I kid.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that any name other than Walmart isn't going to cause a massive uproar.

People hate Target because of the bathroom thing.

Walmart wouldn't cause an uproar for anything other than it being a dumb stadium name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom