• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detroit Red Wings new downtown arena to be called Little Caesars Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Good for them I guess. I dont know why, but somehow in my mind I have always pictured Little Caesars as being a company on the razors edge of filing bankruptcy and closing down nationwide, for the last 20 or so years.

Like..... they always seem like 3rd or 4th behind the other major Pizza chains. Its one of those radio shack feelings. Like.. How are these guys still operating?

FLEABttn

Banned
What was wrong with the old arena?

It's kind of dilapidated to be honest. Old, run-down, really dirty. Out of date amenities, the premium seats are arguably the worst seats in the worst seats in the house. The cheap seats are horizontally farther away from the ice compared to every other arena I've seen a game in. It's like seeing an Oakland A's game in the Coliseum or a DC United game at RFK. I saw the Red Wings play at the Pepsi Center, Verizon Center, and PNC Arena before seeing them at the Joe, and despite having low expectations, you still get in there like "Really? They play here?"

The only thing left that is needed is for Dan Cleary to make the opening roster next year, then all will be in balance.

200_s.gif

Dennis

Banned
The city is on the basis of an upswing, they've even brought in a Whole Foods and there's tons of hipsters and local artists renting out lofts. Some locals are getting upset, claiming gentrification and whatnot. This stadium is supposedly a way of bringing in further revenue. Long live Detroit.

I should have bought a hundred houses in Detroit a few years ago it looks like.

I should have bought a hundred houses in Detroit a few years ago it looks like.

I wouldn't. While Downtown and Midtown have improved, much of the rest of the city is still desperately impoverished, with crime still amongst the highest in the country, and its schools barely trying to stay open, while the state government itself is largely indifferent to all of this, as it always has been since the white flight of the sixties and seventies to Oakland County (whose county executive is such a pleasant individual
/s
). The gentrification that the city is beginning to experience will likely only make things worse for the poorest parts of the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom