• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

randomwab

kitch9 said:
I won the argument with David in his office, but the side quest with the investigator didn't trigger in rioting Detroit.

Any ideas why?

I could be mistaken, but I think that happens on your second time to Detroit. At least, it did for me.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
Should I be worried that I've got a game ending glitch?(XBox) I'm at the end of the game and as I'm going up a set of stairs the game freezes in the same spot every single time.
I'm in Panchea. I just got passed the electrified corridor.
First I thought it was maybe trying to do an achievement and since I had torrents running it glitched because it couldn't connect to xbox live but it wasn't that. Then I uninstalled the game from the HDD and played from disk but it still freezes in the same spot. Now I'm going to go try to play from previous saves. Has there been game ending glitches?

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Nope.jpeg

Yep.jpg

EP1P7.gif
EP1P7.gif
EP1P7.gif

EvilNando

Neo Member
Im liking the game so far but I hate the color tone used

everything has this brownish shade into it and it is really sad considering how many colors are out there waiting to be used...

Riposte

If you kill everyone and I mean... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ano5fU6OCMU

does the game note it? I mean I don't just mean a bunch of "you killed this important NPC" x100. I want "you are a genocidal monster". Because right now I am doing my nice guy Jensen run, but for my second one I'll either be doing "loyal, but ruthless/power addicted" Jensen or "kill fucking everyone psychopath" Jensen.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Riposte said:

does the game note it? I mean I don't just mean a bunch of "you killed this important NPC" x100. I want "you are a genocidal monster". Because right now I am doing my nice guy Jensen run, but for my second one I'll either be doing "loyal, but ruthless/power addicted" Jensen or "kill fucking everyone psychopath" Jensen.

Well, my friend killed everybody at the police station and cops on the streets + those at the entrance outside didn't notice it. It was kind of lame but I guess it's because of resources limitations. The game keeps corpses where they at and this is a huge achievement from RAM standpoint.

Coxswain

Riposte said:

Not really; other than the achievement and having Pritchard either call you "Attila the Hun" instead of "Mahatma Gandhi" after the first mission, I don't think it comes up again, aside from maybe one offhand mention that I'm not really in a position to double check.

It's kind of funny, too, (vague ending spoilers)
because in my first playthrough the only people I killed were in the intro, so in the ending I thought that it had taken that into account when Jensen had those couple lines about "Most of the time, didn't I resist the temptation to abuse my power to get things done more quickly?" Much to my surprise, in my second playthrough, I literally killed everybody including every civilian in Detroit and Hengsha, both times through, and he says the exact same thing.
Maybe it just assumes that he's a deluded asshole if you do that.

Edit: Unrelated: They got hugely sloppy on the sidequest design, it's really disappointing. If you don't put points into hacking, there are three sidequests that are, as far as I can tell, just flat-out not completable, before you finish your first visit to Hengsha. That wouldn't be so bad if there weren't only six real sidequests period by that point. The more I play the game (and I still like it a lot, mind you), the more I find that if you try to push the limits or play in a way counter to the way they seem to 'want' you to, the game pushes back, and for the most part, the game wins.
It's a shame, too, because they get it exactly right for about two missions: The first mission is hugely reactive to just about anything you can think to do, and although it's generally a lot shorter, so is the morgue. After that, it's not like the game goes completely linear or anything, and you still have multiple ways to get through the mission itself, but nothing much changes depending on how you complete the thing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Coxswain said:
Edit: Unrelated: They got hugely sloppy on the sidequest design, it's really disappointing. If you don't put points into hacking, there are three sidequests that are, as far as I can tell, just flat-out not completable, before you finish your first visit to Hengsha. That wouldn't be so bad if there weren't only six real sidequests period by that point. The more I play the game (and I still like it a lot, mind you), the more I find that if you try to push the limits or play in a way counter to the way they seem to 'want' you to, the game pushes back, and for the most part, the game wins.
It's a shame, too, because they get it exactly right for about two missions: The first mission is hugely reactive to just about anything you can think to do, and although it's generally a lot shorter, so is the morgue. After that, it's not like the game goes completely linear or anything, and you still have multiple ways to get through the mission itself, but nothing much changes depending on how you complete the thing.

Are you sure about that? From memory, nearly all instances where you need to use a terminal or pad to complete a mission offered the information to get past it somewhere, somehow, either hidden on PDA, someone else's computer, or by having someone tell you. Sometimes the game dicks you over and makes this information hard to get, but its often there. For example (Detroit sidequest involving Megan's mum)
you can get into both the police evidence locker and the safe inside without having to hack either.

subversus said:
go with challenge. Deus Ex disables highlighting and it can be a bit frustrating for a newcomer.

You can turn on both the highlights and objective markers even on Give Me Deus Ex, they are simply turned off by default. I say go with Give Me Deus Ex for the achievement, the game is easy if you go developer-preffered route (Stealth) and gets stupidly easy one you max Cloak.

bigswords

I love this game, I did the pacifist and foxiest of the hound achieves in my first play through.
First game that I was so careful , I was really scared on the stage that I had to save
your pilot
with my shitty tranquilizer rifle and emp mines and gas nades.

I know looking glass studios did Thief, but it feels as though that some people on this team did Thief previously? It has that awesome many solutions to an area feel. This game really lived up to its name and it's better than the first Deus ex on the PC.

Dresden

So how many people opted to get the new
biochip and screwed up the third boss?

I have to admit, I'm glad I did because it meant I had to shoot a few times with my pistol to kill the boss instead of just spamming typhoon.

Coxswain

EatChildren said:
Are you sure about that? From memory, nearly all instances where you need to use a terminal or pad to complete a mission offered the information to get past it somewhere, somehow, either hidden on PDA, someone else's computer, or by having someone tell you. Sometimes the game dicks you over and makes this information hard to get, but its often there. For example (Detroit sidequest involving Megan's mum)
you can get into both the police evidence locker and the safe inside without having to hack either.
Evidence locker and the safe, but not the police captain's computer which is also required. You can get into his office either through a vent or by finding a pocket secretary with the room code on it, but the password for his computer is either not available through normal play, or it's hidden so well that, as far as Google and searching every relevant gaming forum I know goes, nobody has found it. (The password actually exists, and you can find it on cheat sites, but nobody seems to actually know where it is in the game, so I'm not sure if that information was pulled from a strategy guide, or looking at the game files, or what.)

In Hengsha, the Bar Tab quest can't be completed without hacking the satellite relays;
Jaya doesn't show up in her apartment until you turn them off, and after checking every Belltower guard and scouring the Court Gardens up and down, I haven't turned up with a code for even one of the relays

The Shanghai Justice quest, much like Motherly Ties, is almost entirely completable without hacking, but not quite.
You can get into Lee's apartment using a lockpick, aka frag grenade, and you can gather enough evidence to scare him into confessing, but to finish the quest you have to hack a level 3 security terminal in The Hive for which I'm again, 99% sure has no legitimately findable code.

It's really bizarre, because if you're a diligent explorer you can find codes to almost everything that isn't quest related. I'm pretty sure I have a passcode for more or less every storage locker in Detroit, the door codes for all but two doors in the police department, and the passwords for every officer's computer on the patrol floor, and yet the ones that are actually important are apparently nowhere to be found.

Btw, on your second visit to Detroit during
anti-augmentation riot
DO NOT
sneak into Taggart's office to get the info from his computer
. You will miss two speech challenges over the course of this quest, as well as achievments for each.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Coxswain said:
Evidence locker and the safe, but not the police captain's computer which is also required. You can get into his office either through a vent or by finding a pocket secretary with the room code on it, but the password for his computer is either not available through normal play, or it's hidden so well that, as far as Google and searching every relevant gaming forum I know goes, nobody has found it. (The password actually exists, and you can find it on cheat sites, but nobody seems to actually know where it is in the game, so I'm not sure if that information was pulled from a strategy guide, or looking at the game files, or what.)

In Hengsha, the Bar Tab quest can't be completed without hacking the satellite relays;
Jaya doesn't show up in her apartment until you turn them off, and after checking every Belltower guard and scouring the Court Gardens up and down, I haven't turned up with a code for even one of the relays

The Shanghai Justice quest, much like Motherly Ties, is almost entirely completable without hacking, but not quite.
You can get into Lee's apartment using a lockpick, aka frag grenade, and you can gather enough evidence to scare him into confessing, but to finish the quest you have to hack a level 3 security terminal in The Hive for which I'm again, 99% sure has no legitimately findable code.

It's really bizarre, because if you're a diligent explorer you can find codes to almost everything that isn't quest related. I'm pretty sure I have a passcode for more or less every storage locker in Detroit, the door codes for all but two doors in the police department, and the passwords for every officer's computer on the patrol floor, and yet the ones that are actually important are apparently nowhere to be found.

That is very strange, especially the end of Shanghai Justice. Perhaps it was their intention to have some quests only fully completable if you have a wide range of abilities, but I dont really agree with that philosophy.

Something for the team to look out for in the next game, me thinks.

Fjordson

Dresden said:
So how many people opted to get the new
biochip and screwed up the third boss?

I have to admit, I'm glad I did because it meant I had to shoot a few times with my pistol to kill the boss instead of just spamming typhoon.
Haha, I did. And fuuuck me, it made that part so annoying. I should have known.

Got the hang of it after a bit and
blasted him with my upgraded shotgun. Hate these god damn boss fights, though.

'One thing I don't like about this game is how it rewards a single playstyle more than others. Takedowns give 50 XP while killing your enemies — no matter how discreet you are — gives 10 or 20 XP, depending on where you hit. Worse even, completely avoiding enemies gives no XP at all. Ideally, all playstyles should be rewarded equally.'

Castor Krieg said:
You can turn on both the highlights and objective markers even on Give Me Deus Ex, they are simply turned off by default. I say go with Give Me Deus Ex for the achievement, the game is easy if you go developer-preffered route (Stealth) and gets stupidly easy one you max Cloak.
But what are the higlighted elements? If i know what to look for i could maybe do without them.

I'm bailing. I've given it a chance, but it's out of favors with me now; I just don't think it's my type of game. I'll do my best to articulate why I think so, but in case I don't succeed: my apologies.

For one, it lacks focus in its gameplay. For example, it has a pretty fleshed-out and meaty weapon system, but after some significant playtime, its gun-play is just too half-baked; I would honestly rather re-load my save than have to stumble through its ho-hum shooting mechanics. Not to mention, it's incredibly easy to bite the dust in a firefight.

Secondly, it seemed to be boiling down to trial and error A LOT. I found myself saving/loading the game every couple of minutes, which only led to frustration and exhaustion.

And thirdly, it's just too broad for my liking. Secondary objectives, multiple side-quests, conversational systems, a HUGE amount of things to unlock, sell, buy, upgrade... It's not my cup of tea; it's kind of why I really don't like RPGs, as they seem to endeavor to do everything, but end up only as the 'jack of all trades and master of none'. Of course, this is purely subjective, as I know that this is the exact reason why millions of gamers love Action RPGs.

So, in conclusion, I've no doubt it's a fantastic game - a multitude of gamers/critics can't be wrong - it's just too EVERYTHING for me. I simply can't get into it.

Daeda

Cuban Legend said:
'One thing I don't like about this game is how it rewards a single playstyle more than others. Takedowns give 50 XP while killing your enemies — no matter how discreet you are — gives 10 or 20 XP, depending on where you hit. Worse even, completely avoiding enemies gives no XP at all. Ideally, all playstyles should be rewarded equally.'

Ehm, yes it does. There's Ghost XP. Overall, you just get more XP for non-lethal because its less safe (people can wake up) So I see the design philosophy.

Almighty

Coxswain said:

Yes this is probably my biggest complaint with the game. My guy could only hack level 1 devices so not being about to complete these side quests when there are so few in the first place was a little annoying. Even worse when as you mentioned you get so close to being able to complete the quest without hacking.

Hopefully they address this in the next game.

Always-honest said:
But what are the higlighted elements? If i know what to look for i could maybe do without them.

Highlights are all the objects you can interact with i.e. credit chips to pick up, ammo, weapons, doors to open, computers, etc. They have golden/yellow edge around them if highlights are turned on.

Cuban Legend said:

By playing stealthy you get Ghost bonus, as well as Smooth Operator bonus in 99% of cases - that's 750XP extra for almost every objective. But I agree, the game rewards stealth players much more than run&gun.

Peff

Coxswain said:

The password is in one of the computers, though I can't remember where because I had already completed the objective. Thing is, I think the computer that has the code is protected by the same hacking level, so you'd need that password as well.

Almighty

Peff said:
The password is in one of the computers, though I can't remember where because I had already completed the objective. Thing is, I think the computer that has the code is protected by the same hacking level, so you'd need that password as well.

If I remember it is on the computer in the office next to the the guy(forgot his name) you can try to convince to let you in the police station. The problem as you mentioned is that computer also has the same level and i wasn't able to find the password for it either.

Almighty

Daeda said:
Arent the passwords for all the other computers hidden
Behind a breakable wall in the sewers

I will have to check it out. If they are then that would lessen or get rid of the biggest complaint I had about the game.

Qwomo said:
New to video games?
What does this have to do with your experience with video games? My experience with games tells me that in most games you can interact with a whopping 10% of the items in the game world and I don't want to waste my time walking around and mashing the action button on everything for no reason.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The_Darkest_Red said:
What does this have to do with your experience with video games? My experience with games tells me that in most games you can interact with a whopping 10% of the items in the game world and I don't want to waste my time walking around and mashing the action button on everything for no reason.

It's a fairly simple matter getting used to what is and what isn't interactive. Certainly wasn't an issue for me. The game even prompts you to press action when you're looking at a certain object.

Sub_Level said:
It's a fairly simple matter getting used to what is and what isn't interactive. Certainly wasn't an issue for me. The game even prompts you to press action when you're looking at a certain object.
Fair enough, I can see how that would be the case after playing the game for awhile. Still, with that in mind, what's wrong with those items standing out a little more so the question doesn't ever have to come up in the first place? I honestly don't see anything wrong with either option but I just find the elitism of some of the "non-highlighters" kind of irritating.

Coxswain

Melanie Frezell's computer (her office is the one next to the front desk booth) has the password to the captain's door, not his computer. (And yeah, her computer is level 2, just like the captain's, anyway.)
The cache of passwords in the sewers also doesn't have the captain's on it.

For the record, though, his password does exist, though it's questionable whether you can find it legitimately or not. If you're sick of looking and don't want to risk spoilers from googling the game, it's:
apophenion

EatChildren said:
That is very strange, especially the end of Shanghai Justice. Perhaps it was their intention to have some quests only fully completable if you have a wide range of abilities, but I dont really agree with that philosophy.

Something for the team to look out for in the next game, me thinks.
Really this wouldn't be a problem if not for some absolutely insane nonsense reason the AUD is not part of the normal game.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Fair enough, I can see how that would be the case after playing the game for awhile. Still, with that in mind, what's wrong with those items standing out a little more so the question doesn't ever have to come up in the first place? I honestly don't see anything wrong with either option but I just find the elitism of some of the "non-highlighters" kind of irritating.

Agreed. I keep object highlighting on because it looks cool and it makes sense in the context of the game. But hey, if disabling it makes you feel hardcore then more power to you. :p

Almighty

Coxswain said:
Melanie Frezell's computer (her office is the one next to the front desk booth) has the password to the captain's door, not his computer. (And yeah, her computer is level 2, just like the captain's, anyway.)
The cache of passwords in the sewers also doesn't have the captain's on it.

For the record, though, his password does exist, though it's questionable whether you can find it legitimately or not. If you're sick of looking and don't want to risk spoilers from googling the game, it's:
apophenion

Well that sucks I was kind of hoping that the password could be found in game and I just missed it.

Zenith

Banned
Coxswain said:

With Shanghai, I couldn't hack the panel because a guard was facing me and if I took him down everyone was alerted. So I just threw an AUD at the panel. The guard goes to yellow alert but step away from the panel and he goes back to green.

I have 15 AUDs in my inventory and I haven't bought any from the arms dealers either.

Cuban Legend said:

plus you get a huge 500 xp bonus per mission objective when unseen, add these up and you miss a TON of experience if you shoot vs stealth. like 10x+

heliosRAzi said:
I never asked for this beat

I never danced for this.

Qwomo said:
New to video games?

No I just don't think it undermines the experience in any way and the augmented reality stuff is part of the universe. Objective markers in particular prevent me from wandering around aimlessly for hours in circles, because I have the worst sense of direction in the entire universe.

I find it strange people are complaining about having to spend a single praxis point to level up your hacking one time.

I can understand complaining about level 5 hacks, but these are sidequests, a level 2 door is really no big deal. Expecting a player to at least spend ONE point for one sidequest in the entire game is not sloppy. If we were talking about a critical story mission quest that needed hacking 3 or greater, that I could understand.

You'd be missing tons and tons of weapon and item caches throughout the entire game if you didn't at least upgrade to hacking 2.

Coxswain

Yeah, AUDs are not part of the base game (and are kind of a ham-handed solution to the problem anyway, at least in my opinion).

Honestly, it shouldn't be an issue. It would have been really easy to avoid the problem in the first place. In Motherly Ties, all you'd need to do is
stash the captain's password somewhere sensible in the building, so it's just a matter of searching it thoroughly
, in Bar Tab
just spawn Jaya in her apartment when you get the quest, whether you hack the relays or not, so the alternative to hacking is just looking through every apartment building in Hengsha (there are only three, counting the pods!)
, and Shanghai Justice
you could do a speech check and/or bribe with the DJ or something to put the proper disc in, or have an unlocked terminal somewhere that you can stealth your way to through the basements/back rooms

Or they could have just made it so that Hacking: Capture only affected capture speed and not which locks you can even attempt, so an untrained Jensen can at least try to tackle any lock he runs into, even if it means blowing a limited supply of Stops and Nukes to do so.

Top Bottom