• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

TTG said:
Finally have some time to put into this game, quick question on the weapons upgrades... They're piling up in my inventory, except I'm not sure on which weapon to upgrade, any advice? I've got a shotgun, combat rifle, some sort of non lethal police pulse thing, the tranq long range gun and the machine pistol to go along with the regular 10mm. Which of these will prove to be most usable/upgrade worthy? Granted, reload speed on the wrong gun won't ruin my experience playing, but I'm always fretting over this BS.
The pistol. Seriously.

Wallach

TTG said:
Finally have some time to put into this game, quick question on the weapons upgrades... They're piling up in my inventory, except I'm not sure on which weapon to upgrade, any advice? I've got a shotgun, combat rifle, some sort of non lethal police pulse thing, the tranq long range gun and the machine pistol to go along with the regular 10mm. Which of these will prove to be most usable/upgrade worthy? Granted, reload speed on the wrong gun won't ruin my experience playing, but I'm always fretting over this BS.

I'd definitely suggest the 10mm as a staple. The revolver is the only other weapon I carry besides that.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I've put all of my upgrades into the pistol and I don't regret it. I don't carry a shotgun, a sniper or an assault rifle, because I don't need to. My ten mili and my fists do all the work.

maomaoIYP

TTG said:
If you're not going for a pacifist run just stick to anything that you like really.
If you are, then stick with the stun gun, traq rifle, and focus on upgrading only 1 power weapon for boss fights.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
QUESTION: so I just gave a dude my pistol, so he wouldn't get killed or whatever, will I still have all of my upgrades when I find a new one? I'm assuming the answer is yes but I need to be sure so I don't have to murder him and take it back.

knitoe

Snuggler said:
QUESTION: so I just gave a dude my pistol, so he wouldn't get killed or whatever, will I still have all of my upgrades when I find a new one? I'm assuming the answer is yes but I need to be sure so I don't have to murder him and take it back.
Nope. If you pick up another one, it will be stock.

KAOz

Short bus special
Snuggler said:

Nope, it's gone now. If you find another pistol, you're going to have to start upgrading it again.
At least as far as I know.

pakkit

Banned
Snuggler said:
No.

Might wanna put spoilers on that, but I redid that segment once I figured out that scenario would play out by
equipping a machine pistol that was lying around the adjacent sleeping pods so that the Dutchman could survive and I could keep my sweet loot.

Snuggler said:

I let him die when faced with the same dilemma. But then I don't like the Dutch.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Quick question - Does the takedown battery only auto recharge one level? Or will upgrading the recharge speed make additional batteries charge with time.

Ken

Ermac said:
Quick question - Does the takedown battery only auto recharge one level? Or will upgrading the recharge speed make additional batteries charge with time.
Only the first cell and partially depleted cells recharges automatically. Upgrading recharge speed only increases the recharge speed.

WEGGLES

Is there a cupboard or something I can keep shit in?

I got a pre-order code that gave me a HUGE sniper rifle and a shot gun... right out of the gate my inventory is jam packed :s

I don't want to toss the stuff, but I don't want to lug it around.

You can purposely drop your upgraded pistol, and go find a dead body with a pistol (or just go buy one), and give the non-upgraded one to the guy. Then pick up your upgraded pistol and continue on your merry way!

Ken

WEGGLES said:
Is there a cupboard or something I can keep shit in?

I got a pre-order code that gave me a HUGE sniper rifle and a shot gun... right out of the gate my inventory is jam packed :s

I don't want to toss the stuff, but I don't want to lug it around.
No storage but dropped items never disappear. Just drop the weapons somewhere familiar in a hub world and come back for it before leaving.

Coxswain

TTG said:
The 10mm is the "best" weapon to upgrade, as the armour-piercing shots make it better than basically anything else at taking out heavily-armoured human enemies. Personally I found it to be a bit of a boring weapon, though. If it's a little too all-purpose for your liking, consider investing in two different weapons that both fill a different niche, like long-range and short-range, heavy and light, or whatever. You'll basically never have serious problems finding ammo for any of the following: 10mm Pistol, Revolver (this actually gets a little tight if you try to use it for your primary weapon), Machine Pistol, Shotgun, Combat Rifle. Any of them are good bets to throw upgrades into.

On my lethal run, I basically split my upgrades between the Combat Rifle and the Revolver. The Combat Rifle pretty much does the job of the pistol - silenced, laser sight, good for headshots - with the disadvantage of not being able to one-shot heavies, and the advantage of being able to do automatic fire if you want (especially fun once you get the augs that eliminate recoil). The Revolver, on the other hand, is basically the hand of god once you upgrade its damage and get the Explosive Rounds mod, and is your go-to for when you run into heavies or robots. At one point I just hammered a full clip of it into a room full of 8-10 enemies, not really even bothering to aim, and by the time I had to reload there were two heavily armoured guys left, half dead and knocked flat on their asses from the explosions.

Edit: Also, unrelated, but as expected, doing a playthrough without putting any points into hacking is much more fun if you found the game got too easy/bland for a hacker. You've got less points to go around, so the ones you do get you have to be a little more prudent with, and it ends up feeling like there's more exploration instead of less, since you actually have to hunt around for door codes and computer passwords for anything more complex than a level 1 hack. It actually feels like a bit of an accomplishment to figure out how to get into the police armory or Seurat's stash locker, and if you're playing stealthily then there are way more places in the game where you have to actually figure out a way past an obstacle instead of just unlocking the back door and strolling on through.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure if you can complete all the sidequests this way. I searched the police station top to bottom three or four times and absolutely could not find the password to the police captain's computer (for the quest for Megan's mom), and I'm pretty sure that a couple of the Hengsha sidequests have portions that can only be solved through hacking (although I haven't really looked around yet). Kind of shitty if so, but then if it's not your first playthrough, it's not like the sidequests are particularly riveting or important anyway.

TTG

And here I was thinking of distributing the wealth. I did save the rate of fire, so that will be going to the pistol. I'm carrying so much shit around I'm already forced to choose between stuff and this is already with 2 upgrades to inventory.

pakkit

Banned
Ermac said:
It only recharges to the first level. You gotta keep eating your energy bars.

I'm not going to lie, this was a pet peeve of mine. So many of the special augs worked best in conjunction, but I'm an item hoarder my first time playing any game, so I was very anxious to use those bars to refill my battery. Even in Crysis 2, by the end you had enough battery to use all of your powers in conjunction, making you feel pretty badass. I felt plenty powerful by the end of Deus Ex, but some of the powers were definitely limited by my juice meter, and that's a shame. If I can see an enemy through a wall and can punch my way through it, snapping his neck in the process, I wanna be able to do it immediately instead of have to switch to x-ray vision, wait for my battery to refill, and then blindly punch the wall.

WEGGLES said:
I am just getting started... I did the first "mission"? where there were hostages and such. Would... my office be a good place to drop stuff? No spoilers. Just a yes or no :p
Yes.

WEGGLES

Ken said:
No storage but dropped items never disappear. Just drop the weapons somewhere familiar in a hub world and come back for it before leaving.
I am just getting started... I did the first "mission"? where there were hostages and such. Would... my office be a good place to drop stuff? No spoilers. Just a yes or no :p

Swifty

EatChildren said:
Hubs aside, there's nothing in Human Revolution quite like Vandenberg. Human Revolution has plenty of flexibility in play, but even at its most open the levels still funnel you towards specific rooms and objectives. Compartively, Vandenberg just dumps you on the roof of a giant complex, and gives you the complete freedom to tackle your objective from any direction. The police station infiltration is probably the closest representation of this classic Deus Ex level design.

Deus Ex was guilty of doing the same style of gameplay though. It wasn't 100% open 100% of the time.
Vandenberg is probably the best example of "onion" level design in Deus Ex as opposed to "strip" levels. It had all these layers of security protecting the core objective and the player had to methodically peel it away, one by one.

It's the same reason why Omega Ranch is probably my favorite DXHR level.
Three mission objectives in three different areas on the map with a variety of ways to get to each of them.
I almost had Vandenberg flashbacks when I was there.

Ken

WEGGLES said:

Edit: Listen to Coxswain.

Coxswain said:
No. Your apartment (or anyone's apartment) is fine, anywhere on the street is fine, but don't leave things anywhere in Sarif Industries or the Police Department.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm not going for pacifist or anything close, though for the challenge of it I don't kill unless the target obviously deserves it or I have no choice. That said, I will be upgrading the pistol and shotgun (which I love) and selling everything else. I still haven't got my hands on a tranq gun though, which I'd think would make stealth quite a bit easier...

malfcn said:
Finally got to Barrett. Been taking my time. Took about 3 tries, he wasn't that hard (or I got lucky).
Yeah, considering all the complaints I found myself oddly asskicking in that moment. Maybe I adjusted my expectations, but the first strategy I atempted worked and I too only died twice (Give Me Deus Ex difficulty). For me it was an enjoyable and brief fight, though admittedly it felt out of place.

Coxswain

WEGGLES said:
No. Your apartment (or anyone's apartment) is fine, anywhere on the street is fine, but don't leave things anywhere in Sarif Industries or the Police Department.

red731

Last night I spend so much time hacking into everyones computers at Sarif HQ and snooping everywhere. It doesn't feel like wasting time at all.

And I was os my nonlethal run until I remember thath silenced sniper rifle is kinda lethal.
I don't know why I was thinking it shots tranqualizer darts :D
The blood on walls was a giveaway xD

Gattsu25

Banned
I just beat the game. Fantastic.

Steam's clock is saying it took me 30 hours.

edit: I found myself hacking everything just because I love the hacking mini game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished it--25 hours according to Steam.

Absolutely incredible game. I think it may have beat The Witcher 2 for my GOTY, but if not, they are definitely close to tied.

eek5

pakkit said:
It only recharges to the first level. You gotta keep eating your energy bars.

I'm not going to lie, this was a pet peeve of mine. So many of the special augs worked best in conjunction, but I'm an item hoarder my first time playing any game, so I was very anxious to use those bars to refill my battery. Even in Crysis 2, by the end you had enough battery to use all of your powers in conjunction, making you feel pretty badass. I felt plenty powerful by the end of Deus Ex, but some of the powers were definitely limited by my juice meter, and that's a shame. If I can see an enemy through a wall and can punch my way through it, snapping his neck in the process, I wanna be able to do it immediately instead of have to switch to x-ray vision, wait for my battery to refill, and then blindly punch the wall.

Yes.
There should've been a third tree on the energy aug to let it recharge up or something. Even if it cost 2 praxis points per tier I'd still get it.

Ken

Coxswain said:

Are you
unable to return to Sarif Industries during Riot Detroit? Don't remember ever trying to get in during that part.

TTG

Hawkian said:
I'm not going for pacifist or anything close, though for the challenge of it I don't kill unless the target obviously deserves it or I have no choice. That said, I will be upgrading the pistol and shotgun (which I love) and selling everything else. I still haven't got my hands on a tranq gun though, which I'd think would make stealth quite a bit easier..

I've just been running around the hub world doing side missions and such. After using the tranq rifle exclusively in the first level, I'm not going for a completely non-lethal route. I'll use stealth to thin the herd of baddies without raising suspicion and gain other advantages, but to use it and the non lethal guns exclusively would involve a too much trial and error. That's my first impression anyway.

Anyone else just really take their time with everything? I actually ended up playing through the prologue twice...mostly because I wanted to hear
the UNATCO theme again when you go and meet David.

Will see how the rest of the game goes.

WEGGLES

Coxswain said:
Ah, ok. I don't have an appartment yet, I think.

I can see how Sarif industries might be off limits to me in some way.

Coxswain

Ken said:
Are you
unable to return to Sarif Industries during Riot Detroit? Don't remember ever trying to get in during that part.
Yeah,
the front door is completely blocked off. You get to go back in just before you return to Hengsha, obviously, but you can't go anywhere from there except to Hengsha, so it's not a good idea to stash things there if you want to be able to get at them.

Ken

WEGGLES said:
Ah, ok. I don't have an appartment yet, I think.

I can see how Sarif industries might be off limits to me in some way.

You could try leaving stuff in the LIMB clinic since it's listed on your map and visited somewhat often.

Coxswain

Your apartment is in the Chiron Building, in the northwest part of the map. You'll need to go there eventually if you just follow plot markers, but you might want to check it out now, since it's a pretty cool place and Adam's got some nice stuff stashed in it.

Question about DLC

I got the augmented edition (PS3) and I got some DLC with that, namely: Huntsman Silverback (shotgun), Whisperhead (Sniper Rifle), MSGL (Grenade Launcher) and remote detonated explosives.

Are those items game breaking like the pre-order DLC for Dead Space?

I do not want to use them at all, nor the additional 10 000 credits.

Can't I just activate the Tong's Rescue mission without all the game breaking items?

Ken

StoppedInTracks said:
Question about DLC

I got the augmented edition (PS3) and I got some DLC with that, namely: Huntsman Silverback (shotgun), Whisperhead (Sniper Rifle), MSGL (Grenade Launcher) and remote detonated explosives.

Can't I just activate the Tong's Rescue mission without all the game breaking items?

I don't have the DLC myself but apparently they are pretty powerful DLC weapons. You could always just drop the DLC weapons and never use them.

eek5

StoppedInTracks said:
Question about DLC

I don't even use any of that stuff and I have 24k credits with nothing to spend it on so no they aren't really game breaking. GL is like 2 shot kill from what I saw when I was messing around with it and I didn't find it until 70-80% through the game (although you might be able to get it before). The sniper is pretty sweet but I rarely use it since the 10mm is a lot better in med/close range. It also takes up a boatload of inventory space which is a bummer.

playing through as psychopath Jensen, the shoot outs aren't great. but shooting guns feels good and it's refreshing to take enemies down in one or two shots. Still, stealth seems like the way to go.

I blew through the first level. It took me so long with stealth, but now I'm downing whiskey, blasting faces and stabbing dudes.

I wish the PC version allowed different mapping for lethal and nonlethal takedowns. the slight delay before you do a lethal takedown can get you killed in firefight.

Ken said:
I don't have the DLC myself but apparently they are pretty powerful DLC weapons. You could always just drop the DLC weapons and never use them.

Oh... I can drop them and not sell for additional credits? Didn't think of that, thanks. Will drop for my 1st playthrough.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
cackhyena said:
Ugh. How do you spoiler tag something on here?

[spoiler ]text here[/spoiler ], minus the spacing.

Top Bottom