• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Linkzg said:
playing through as psychopath Jensen, the shoot outs aren't great. but shooting guns feels good and it's refreshing to take enemies down in one or two shots. Still, stealth seems like the way to go.

I blew through the first level. It took me so long with stealth, but now I'm downing whiskey, blasting faces and stabbing dudes.

I wish the PC version allowed different mapping for lethal and nonlethal takedowns. the slight delay before you do a lethal takedown can get you killed in firefight.
Where is the alcoholic tolerance aug anyway. At first, I thought beer was for the informant lady in DTroit, then later it was just taking up space. I'd drink some, but it really messes with my one-shot kill pistol.

Mindlog

StoppedInTracks said:
Question about DLC

I got the augmented edition (PS3) and I got some DLC with that, namely: Huntsman Silverback (shotgun), Whisperhead (Sniper Rifle), MSGL (Grenade Launcher) and remote detonated explosives.

Are those items game breaking like the pre-order DLC for Dead Space?

I do not want to use them at all, nor the additional 10 000 credits.

Can't I just activate the Tong's Rescue mission without all the game breaking items?
The piece of DLC that has the biggest impact on gameplay is actually the, Automatic Unlocking Device (AUD.) The grenade launcher comes in late game and devastates a boss that's also easily defeated with other means. The money is a nice early game aug boost, but you'll earn more than enough before you need it.

The AUD should have come with and been balanced for retail.

ps Stun Gun is really really really really handy.

malfcn

So yah. Beat the first boss and only spent 1 point for Hacking 2. Sitting with about 11 points and 20,000 credits. Been playing half lethal, half killer. I can't commit.

thetechkid

I played nonlethal through most of the level with the first boss. Then
at the door before the boss I remembered the hostages and went back and killed everyone who was alive on that floor, but everyone said I did it without killing anyone.
Was that a bug or something?

IoCaster

Damn this game has got it's hooks in me. I'm finishing up my 2nd Detroit visit and shutting it down for the night. It ain't perfect, but the little annoyances that pop up don't really amount to much overall. I found the first boss quite a bit tougher than the second, but then again I was Aug'd-up much better by then so it doesn't mean much. Can't wait to spend some more time with it tomorrow. Great game.

Finally got this today, just started playing it. I noticed there's a pacifist achievement and a no alarms achievement. If I try to go for both in my first playthrough, am I setting myself up for frustration/disappointment? Should I just go for one or the other or is it feasibly possible to do both?

I figure I'll definitely try for Pacifist and maybe do a stealth run-through on a second playthrough if I start not enjoying the game.

cackhyena

EatChildren said:
[spoiler ]text here[/spoiler ], minus the spacing.
Ah, thanks.

So my question is.
Is it possible to save Malik? Seems like a pretty tight time window before I got too far and she's all "see ya" then goes kaboom.

Ken

cackhyena said:
Ah, thanks.

So my question is.
Is it possible to save Malik? Seems like a pretty tight time window before I got too far and she's all "see ya" then goes kaboom.

Yes.
I'm not sure about a time window or if it checks your distance because I just took cover behind the wall and started sniping people immediately.

IoCaster

Mindlog said:

Oh my, yes. It's my go to for close in work with the tough guys. Knocks them on their ass. It even spazzes those rolling turrets for a few crucial seconds so I can sprint to cover.

Mindlog

Incendiary said:
Finally got this today, just started playing it. I noticed there's a pacifist achievement and a no alarms achievement. If I try to go for both in my first playthrough, am I setting myself up for frustration/disappointment? Should I just go for one or the other or is it feasibly possible to do both?

I figure I'll definitely try for Pacifist and maybe do a stealth run-through on a second playthrough if I start not enjoying the game.
It is possible to get both. You only need to avoid alarms on certain missions, but I wouldn't recommend looking at a guide until after you beat the game for spoiler reasons. Just don't trip alarms. Pacifist is very easy to get just don't kill anyone at the start of the game ;]

cackhyena said:
Ah, thanks.

So my question is.

The first time through was a lethal run and I failed to do it. I'm playing on a controller so it's fairly difficult because of the number of dudes. Last night I got the achievement in a few tries on my current pacifist run, felt good.

If you have 2 - 3 gas grenades and an EMP for the robot it's actually pretty easy, just chuck grenades at the choke point in front of the elevator while you run down the left side and flank the soldiers. Once you're behind them you can stun-gun and CQC them all down and feel like a boss.

Ken said:
Yes.
I'm not sure about a time window or if it checks your distance because I just took cover behind the wall and started sniping people immediately.

It's not a set time, it's based on how much damage she takes. So as you take dudes out your time is "extended".

jim-jam bongs said:
The first time through was a lethal run and I failed to do it. I'm playing on a controller so it's fairly difficult because of the number of dudes. Last night I got the achievement in a few tries on my current pacifist run, felt good.

If you have 2 - 3 gas grenades and an EMP for the robot it's actually pretty easy, just chuck grenades at the choke point in front of the elevator while you run down the left side and flank the soldiers. Once you're behind them you can stun-gun and CQC them all down and feel like a boss.

It's not a set time, it's based on how much damage she takes. So as you take dudes out your time is "extended".
I actually pulled it off just with stun gun and CQC (run up the ramp + dumpster on the right and start shutting fools down) and one EMP, but checking around afterwards, one of the guys had fallen off the side of the building and died, and I was doing a pacifist run. I'd already gotten the achievement, so I just reloaded and let Malik die.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Incendiary said:

Nah, it never reaches bullshit levels of difficult and stays fun through out. I did both on my first playthrough and damn did it feel good to see those pop up at the end.

I WAS SO PISSED AT THAT POINT. Malik was so cool :-( I assumed you could save her, but I tried a few times and she died so fast I figured you couldn't, but I guess it's because I was playing on Deus Ex difficulty for my first run and wasn't prepared. It was really the tipping point for me, I was all stealth until then, but afterwards I killed everybody. The only weapon I had to take out the snipers was my tranq rifle, so I shot them in the head on the ground with my pistol after I knocked them out. Some of the others i threw exploding barrels at while they were unconscious.

I was so sad when I saw her corpse at Tong's place. I tried everything I could to trigger some sort of event to bring her back. I even tried dragging her body out of the parking garage, but it wasn't possible :-(

koji

Hey guys, I'm going for a pacifist run (tranq rifle/fists), about 11 hours in.
just finished the police station and Megans mum questline
Now I'm spending all my skillpoints on silly bs like hacking, fall speed delay, radar upgrade, dialogue upgrade, blabla, non combat stuff basically, should I start spending points towards a combat skill for boss fights?

I'm not really that worried about it but it would suck if I'ld face an encounter I can't talk/sneak my way out of. I'm also playing on deus ex difficulty.

Mœbius

koji said:
Hey guys, I'm going for a pacifist run (tranq rifle/fists), about 11 hours in.
just finished the police station and Megans mum questline
Now I'm spending all my skillpoints on silly bs like hacking, fall speed delay, radar upgrade, dialogue upgrade, blabla, non combat stuff basically, should I start spending points towards a combat skill for boss fights?

I'm not really that worried about it but it would suck if I'ld face an encounter I can't talk/sneak my way out of. I'm also playing on deus ex difficulty.
I did the Pacifist run on Deus Ex difficulty too and the answer is no, you don't need to upgrade any of your combat augs for the bosses. The only thing I would suggest is spending some praxis on armour.

kitch9

Banned
I won the argument with David in his office, but the side quest with the investigator didn't trigger in rioting Detroit.

Any ideas why?

MrKnives

God's Beard said:
I WAS SO PISSED AT THAT POINT. Malik was so cool :-( I assumed you could save her, but I tried a few times and she died so fast I figured you couldn't, but I guess it's because I was playing on Deus Ex difficulty for my first run and wasn't prepared. It was really the tipping point for me, I was all stealth until then, but afterwards I killed everybody. The only weapon I had to take out the snipers was my tranq rifle, so I shot them in the head on the ground with my pistol after I knocked them out. Some of the others i threw exploding barrels at while they were unconscious.

I was so sad when I saw her corpse at Tong's place. I tried everything I could to trigger some sort of event to bring her back. I even tried dragging her body out of the parking garage, but it wasn't possible :-(

That's sad dude :(
The hero didn't get the girl

God's Beard said:

frys-dog.jpg

Oh man, second visit to Detroit, running around the place to check if I hadn't missed anything. Turns out you can find a po-sec with the code to that Level 5 locked door where you get
Praxis kit

Mindlog said:
The piece of DLC that has the biggest impact on gameplay is actually the, Automatic Unlocking Device (AUD.) The grenade launcher comes in late game and devastates a boss that's also easily defeated with other means. The money is a nice early game aug boost, but you'll earn more than enough before you need it.

The AUD should have come with and been balanced for retail.

I didn't mention AUD because I thought it was some useless shit.

I will dump all this crap into the water. No risks taken.

Wow, I thought it was just me. I also killed the shit out of every Belltower guard from then on, I even hunted all the ones on the street down and executed them.

Jintor

Even when I
saved her
I was still really really pissed off about the whole thing. Like, against Belltower, not against the game. Which was nice that it managed to inspire that degree of rage in me.

knitoe

Sucks. Just completed my 2nd play through. Got the Legend and Foxies of Hound achievements, but didn't get the Pacifist or Doctorate. I probably failed the Pacifist due to stun gun / tranq rifle kill bugged that I didn't know until 1/2 through the game. With the Doctorate, I must have missed the one under a box in the beginning. Stupid idea. Who wants to move and check under every box. I am done. Not worth a 3rd play through.

Danj

I've been playing without referring to a FAQ so far but I got stuck on the third boss because of something I did wrong earlier in the game. Don't wanna go back and replay big chunks of stuff right now to fix it, so can anyone give me any tips on how to beat that boss? GameFAQs is no help.

Basically I didn't realise the updated biochip thing was a scam, the glitches were pissing me off so I went to the LIMB clinic and got it installed as soon as Pritchard told me about it. So now in the third boss fight all my augs are disabled and the screen is glitchy and shit.

The FAQ on GameFAQs says it's still possible to kill this boss, but I have no idea how. I don't have any gas grenades, I only have 1 frag grenade, 2 emp grenades, a couple of emp mines and concussion mines. In terms of weapons I have the laser rifle, heavy rifle, combat rifle and sniper rifle. Got a bunch of ammo for the laser rifle and heavy rifle, less so for the other two.

Halp, GAF!

Danj said:
Halp, GAF!

Do you have any painkillers/hypo needle things? Those will instantly restore large amounts of health if you do have them, so keep them on tap. Your goal should be to EMP him, then lay into him with your laser rifle or pimped out 10mm (please tell me you have a pimped out 10mm and just forgot to mention it).

The way I killed him was 2x Typhoon blasts + a couple of 10mm headshots. Unfortunately that's not an option for you.

knitoe said:
Sucks. Just completed my 2nd play through. Got the Legend and Foxies of Hound achievements, but didn't get the Pacifist or Doctorate. I probably failed the Pacifist due to stun gun / tranq rifle kill bugged that I didn't know until 1/2 through the game. With the Doctorate, I must have missed the one under a box in the beginning. Stupid idea. Who wants to move and check under every box. I am done. Not worth a 3rd play through.

I thought the same, but after getting the achievement with a guide, there are really only 3 or 4 in a tricky spot, while the rest are out in the open or in semi secluded rooms

Ken

miyuru said:
Hengsha spoiler:

If you kill the bartender at Hive, he has a Praxis kit on him lolol

He also gives it to you if you give him the money the girl owes him which is not the same amount he asks you for if you try to cut a deal with him. >:[

L00P

Danj said:
I've been playing without referring to a FAQ so far but I got stuck on the third boss because of something I did wrong earlier in the game. Don't wanna go back and replay big chunks of stuff right now to fix it, so can anyone give me any tips on how to beat that boss? GameFAQs is no help.

Basically I didn't realise the updated biochip thing was a scam, the glitches were pissing me off so I went to the LIMB clinic and got it installed as soon as Pritchard told me about it. So now in the third boss fight all my augs are disabled and the screen is glitchy and shit.

The FAQ on GameFAQs says it's still possible to kill this boss, but I have no idea how. I don't have any gas grenades, I only have 1 frag grenade, 2 emp grenades, a couple of emp mines and concussion mines. In terms of weapons I have the laser rifle, heavy rifle, combat rifle and sniper rifle. Got a bunch of ammo for the laser rifle and heavy rifle, less so for the other two.

Halp, GAF!
It got me the first time, too. I just shot him till he died. Definitely use your frag and emp on him. Use Typhoon if you have it. Other than the whole
glitched-out vision
it's a pretty straightforward fight

commissar

Danj said:
I've been playing without referring to a FAQ so far but I got stuck on the third boss because of something I did wrong earlier in the game. Don't wanna go back and replay big chunks of stuff right now to fix it, so can anyone give me any tips on how to beat that boss?
<snip>
Halp, GAF!

Underneath the
statues
, there are drawers packed with grenades, ammo, weapons, cyberboost bars etc.
Run around a bit collecting what you need and keep an eye on your radar for when he turns up to attack and sprint/dodge/take cover.

If he stands and shoots, it's easiest to pop out of cover and shoot a few bullets then pop back into cover before he shoots his
plasma rifle
again.

Chip away at him, and keep mobile really. Switching the side of the wall you're on can force him to jump over it, giving you time to pop that grenade out.
I did it with concussion grenades and an assault rifle (and about two stim packs hahaha).
You just need to be cautious and position yourself so you can quickly get in cover.

Good luck!

Danj

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Do you have any painkillers/hypo needle things? Those will instantly restore large amounts of health if you do have them, so keep them on tap. Your goal should be to EMP him, then lay into him with your laser rifle or pimped out 10mm (please tell me you have a pimped out 10mm and just forgot to mention it).

The way I killed him was 2x Typhoon blasts + a couple of 10mm headshots. Unfortunately that's not an option for you.

Nope, unfortunately I have no health thingies and no 10mm pistol (I ditched it a while back because it didn't seem to be doing much damage and all the ammo I kept picking up for it kept taking up space in my inventory).

commissar said:
Underneath the
statues
, there are drawers packed with grenades, ammo, weapons, cyberboost bars etc.
Run around a bit collecting what you need and keep an eye on your radar for when he turns up to attack and sprint/dodge/take cover.

If he stands and shoots, it's easiest to pop out of cover and shoot a few bullets then pop back into cover before he shoots his
plasma rifle
again.

Chip away at him, and keep mobile really. Switching the side of the wall you're on can force him to jump over it, giving you time to pop that grenade out.
I did it with concussion grenades and an assault rifle (and about two stim packs hahaha).
You just need to be cautious and position yourself so you can quickly get in cover.

Good luck!

No radar - augs are disabled - but thanks for the tip about the grenades in drawers, that could be useful.

Yes, i just got the game. From what i've read here this game deserves to be bought (so we can one day get another Deus Ex).

I've installed it, but what difficulty setting should i go for? Challenge or Deus Ex? What's the difference??

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Always-honest said:
Yes, i just got the game. From what i've read here this game deserves to be bought (so we can one day get another Deus Ex).

I've installed it, but what difficulty setting should i go for? Challenge or Deus Ex? What's the difference??

go with challenge. Deus Ex disables highlighting and it can be a bit frustrating for a newcomer.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
subversus said:
go with challenge. Deus Ex disables highlighting and it can be a bit frustrating for a newcomer.

Personally I think highlighting should be turned off anyway. Challenge or Deus Ex are both good options, but I wont ever play this game without also turning off highlighting and on-screen waypoint markers.

Top Bottom