• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

mAcOdIn

Wallach said:
Research shows
hacking Taggart's computer will cause Sandoval to be hostile. Even if you reload Sandoval will be hostile no matter what on that playthrough because of a bug.
I also think this is false.
I hacked it first, saw that my mission notes or whatever said I still needed to confront Taggert so I went and did that, perhaps it's because I did not upload the video onto his computer to further implicate him?

Wallach

mAcOdIn said:
I also think this is false.
I hacked it first, saw that my mission notes or whatever said I still needed to confront Taggert so I went and did that, perhaps it's because I did not upload the video onto his computer to further implicate him?

I'm not sure exactly -
did you win the social battle with Taggart after hacking the computer?

Mainly the point is that if Sandoval gets publicly exposed he should be suicidal. If he doesn't get exposed he should try to kill you when you find him so he can keep his secret.

If anyone is still worried about it, I had people fall through floors and have my tranq gun kill people, but still got my pacifist trophy on PS3. Both those bugs, never happened to me on the 360 version fortunately.

ColonelColon said:
I don't really like it. I don't want to watch a cutscene every time I jump off a building.

Another thing I dislike, the 3rd person pan-outs.
Every time you climb a ladder, break a wall, get into cover. It just feels so jarring & takes me out of the game.
edit: & of course the 3rd person cutscene melee kills.

Narag

Wallach said:
Did you hack it without talking to Taggart first? Apparently the bug works both ways; if you talk to Taggart and get the location from him, you can reload and hack the computer instead but Sandoval will be suicidal instead of hostile still. The flag for Sandoval's state is apparently bugged - he should be hostile if you get the location of Sandoval from Taggart's computer and suicidal if you win the social battle with Taggart.

Oh I see. I won the social battle, hacked afterwards, and just went from there to talk down a suicidal Sandoval.

Replicant

The Broken Ska Record said:
I love the Icarus landing system. It makes jumping from rooftops that much more awesome.

InFamous did it first and it's a functional power that works in real time. It's a shame Cole doesn't dress up as cool as Jensen though. Although Cole probably doesn't groom as much as Jensen either.

EmCeeGramr said:
Those just seem like lamer versions of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whtNHRYJnrU

Is that real? I can't even stuff my weapon into that locker.

Hawkian said:

Did you make one of the ones I posted? If it's any consolation, I love them.

I've spent a good amount of time with the game, but for the life of me I haven't solved why my health cap will randomly jump around. Sometimes it's 125, other times it's 145, and then most of the time it's just 100. I see no Augs that alter Jensen's health cap, so why the seemingly random boosts?

disappeared said:
I've spent a good amount of time with the game, but for the life of me I haven't solved why my health cap will randomly jump around. Sometimes it's 125, other times it's 145, and then most of the time it's just 100. I see no Augs that alter Jensen's health cap, so why the seemingly random boosts?
Alcohol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
disappeared said:
Beer?

disappeared said:
Painkillers, hypostims, and alcohol give you temporary max health boosts that won't regenerate when you take damage.

The game has been out for a while and i dont really consider it a spoiler, but i did some testing and found a funny way to guarantee you free passage into the funicular (after youve cleared out the 2 guys and disabled the turret and camera)

kkkkkkooooolllll.jpg

all you have to do is jam some things into the 2 main door and the ai isnt smart enough to even path into them, let alone path through or over or around them. Had myself a chuckle once i figured this one out. You can stand practically in the middle of the room and they cant do anything.

Narag

Onion_Relish said:
The game has been out for a while and i dont really consider it a spoiler, but i did some testing and found a funny way to guarantee you free passage into the funicular (after youve cleared out the 2 guys and disabled the turret and camera)

[MG]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy133/Hycran/kkkkkkooooolllll.jpg[/IMG]

all you have to do is jam some things into the 2 main door and the ai isnt smart enough to even path into them, let alone path through or over or around them. Had myself a chuckle once i figured this one out. You can stand practically in the middle of the room and they cant do anything.

I actually did that but not before setting up a huge barricade at the stairwell to that area complete with mines. Shame all the guards spawned at the doors down the hall.

Neiteio

Onion_Relish said:

kkkkkkooooolllll.jpg

I did that and for the most part it worked like a charm, though if I recall correctly one of the guards could successfully shoot into the room through the window. But hey, just cling to the wall beneath it and you're safe. :)

Mindlog

disappeared said:
PC or console?

Just hovering over an item in the quick menu activates it for a 1 time use. If you don't remember to deactivate it then you'll keep getting weird boosts that you weren't really expecting.

Onion_Relish said:
That's how I did it my first time.

The second time I came across it I didn't bother. I just hid in the crawl space behind the stairs until it was time. Then I cloak walked into it and hit the button.

The Stealth Fox

I disagree with those who are saying that this isn't as replayable as Deus Ex. I think this is just replayable, but in a different way. One of the things DX3 does better than DX1 is how there are different versions of each event, and different ways the conversations can pan out (how you choose one response changes the dialogue of the next response ( Reason -> Crush -> Reason will have different dialogue overall from Crush -> Crush -> Reason, even though Crush is still the second response in both versions). Not to mention that the CASIE version of every conversation is different too. Also, the game is really neat regarding giving you surprise consequences (
Talion A.D. is a good example. I let the rogue agent go not expecting anything and all of a sudden he reassigns a few belltower patrols making my navigation easier
).

Also,
Omega Ranch
is a less annoying version of
Vandenberg or A51

And I'm almost done with my second DX3 run-through. In comparison, I've only done about 60% of my DX1 second runthrough and I've had that longer.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Just beat the game. Watched the
Darrow ending
. Will view the others later.

What was with the
Spark you see at the very end of that ending?

And do we know which ending is canonical?

Forkball

I spent like fifteen minutes trying to jump on this railing in Hengsha so I could walk across it and fall down on the other side of a fence, but then I found out there's a small hole in the fence you could walk through.

Wallach

schwall20 said:
Seriously fuck the 2nd boss, goddamit, I've tried like 20 times, I'm done for now. Fuck that

If you have Typhoon you can literally mash the button for it the second the fight starts and keep hitting it until she dies. Takes 3 shots on the hardest setting with level 2 Typhoon.

schwall20 said:
Seriously fuck the 2nd boss, goddamit, I've tried like 20 times, I'm done for now. Fuck that

I found the 2nd boss the easiest boss, this is what I used:

The vision will let you see her in stealth, then I stun gunned her and blasted her with my combat rifle.

I've been told mines are also a good option.

Mindlog

Forkball said:
I spent like fifteen minutes trying to jump on this railing in Hengsha so I could walk across it and fall down on the other side of a fence, but then I found out there's a small hole in the fence you could walk through.
lol, behind the Hive?

It's been said a thousand times, but I really can't believe they put the AUD as a pre-order bonus. I won't be supporting that kind of shit in a sequel. I hate having such a discrepancy in my 360/PC copies.

GDJustin said:
Just beat the game. Watched the
Darrow ending
. Will view the others later.

What was with the
Spark you see at the very end of that ending?

And do we know which ending is canonical?

Probably the
Blow up the Panchea one. No loose ends plus if you wait after the credits, they're searching the wreckage.

The Stealth Fox

Also, if you don't have the
Wall-break aug, you can just blow up the walls that have cracks in them with explosives. I thought that was a nice touch.

Varna

This tends to happen to me a lot in RPGs about 3/4 through a game... I just get bored and start over once the game starts to really lose it's challenge. I started this run with the intention of killing just about anyone that even looks at me funny. This is a lot harder then the non-lethal route (the beginning section especially since there is no silencer). Lethal take downs are not good in room with more then one enemy and you get a lot less exp as well.

SHAZOOM

schwall20 said:

Second boss was literally, emp grenade->Typhoonx2. Win.

Just got to
Singapore
. I'm pretty low on candy bars/protein jars, but completely stacked with nades/mines, with my typical roll out of stun/10mm/revolver/crossbow. The only overburdening item I have is the Plasma Rifle I picked up from
Tong's Harvester Hidout

Tigel

I love seeing all those Youtube videos of people making something fun by improvising with the gameplay mecanics. It's a breath of fresh air in a generation that's more and more focused on doing insanely scripted/cinematic games where those kind of emergent gameplay ideas are pretty much impossible to do.

SHAZOOM said:
Second boss was literally, emp grenade->Typhoonx2. Win.
Don't even have to use the emp grenade. Just get next to him/her and instantly Typhoon back to back. He/she after the first Typhoon is stunned and has no time to get out of it. This was on normal diff. Might need more on hard. Two quick typhoons also work on the next boss. Upgrade the typhoon to max

Dresden

Pistol or stun gun are the only weapons you ever need. Carry both and you're set for life. If you have typhoon you won't even need the pistol.

Turfster

See, the problem with everyone saying "the second boss is so easy, just use the Typhoon" is that people that go for a pacifist-stealth run usually don't have that since it's lethal. =p

The Stealth Fox

Turfster said:
See, the problem with everyone saying "the second boss is so easy, just use the Typhoon" is that people that go for a pacifist-stealth run usually don't have that since it's lethal. =p

Stun gun + pistol spam (or whatever weapon you choose)

Riposte

The game is quite good, but a little disappointing towards the end(let's say, starting with the
2nd trip to Hengsha
. If I were to review it in the neogaf thread I'd probably give it a 2 1/2 stars out of 3.

One thing I noticed about this game is that very few characters shine. Pritchard and Malik were cool, though they felt absent towards the end. I felt like I needed way more interaction the major players, especially in comparison to Deus Ex. Speaking of which one of the more exciting moments was seeing certain names in the emails at the
Picus TV Building

Probably the most standout thing about the game, aside from being an acceptable successor to Deus Ex, is the conversation system. You mix this with Alpha Protocol and make those "boss" conversations even more complex, and you are on to something truly amazing.

After mulling it over, I have to go with the boss battles being pretty lame. 2nd and 3rd looked like they had some potential, but I think they fell short. This was no MGS. Normal encounters with enemies were fine. Well, thinking it over, the game might have been a little too easy with stealth/hacking, but what can you do about that?

EDIT: I wonder if locations were dictated by "next-gen" budgets.

Top Bottom