• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Solo

Gamer @ Heart said:
I am officially done with this game.

Bought on 360, 2 playthroughs, 1000/1000

Redboxed PS3 version, 1 platinum play through.

Adam is my favorite character of the last 5 years.

Good christ. Make sure your family and friends know you are alive.

Solo

Replicant said:

Hawkian said:

EmCeeGramr said:
Those just seem like lamer versions of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whtNHRYJnrU

They all still pale in comparison to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vVgYU

The dude banging on the glass at 1:18 just slays me. Adam is dancing and he does not give a single fuck that you might die horribly.

ezekial45 said:
Good lord. Hahaha.

That was very well done. It was a little dishonest thought. Did this game even have DLC? I remember reading about the pre-order weapons, but i i haven't from them since.
No, there was like a 20 minute pre-order mission where you walk into a building near the end of the game, find a young Tracer Tong, talk to him, and leave. Then you get a special weapon.

ezekial45

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
No, there was like a 20 minute pre-order mission where you walk into a building near the end of the game, find a young Tracer Tong, talk to him, and leave. Then you get a special weapon.

Really? Was it in Singapore?

epmode

ezekial45 said:
Good lord. Hahaha.

That was very well done. It was a little dishonest thought. Did this game even have DLC? I remember reading about the pre-order weapons, but i i haven't from them since.
Yes, the final version of the game locks away a few weapons and items that were present in the press build. In America, the individual items were retailer-exclusive. There's no way to get all of them in your game at once.

..at least, there wasn't until that PC debug menu mod. I haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure if it unlocks that stuff.

Digishine

Banned
Neiteio said:
Great DLC news, guys!

- Three separate installments, each running about 12 hours
- Stories are standalone but tie in with HR and each other
- New protagonists for first two DLC; Jensen returns in third
- New hubs: Montreal, Canada; Mumbai, India; Tokyo, Japan
- Three story missions and three sidequests in each hub
- Each mission pushes your augmented abilities to the max
- Each is richly detailed and has a plethora of paths to take
- Boss battles can be won non-lethally or avoided altogether
- One such “fight” is a dialogue-driven face-off with Jensen
- All-new weapons and augmentations to unlock with Praxis
- All-new pocket secretaries, e-books and newspapers/casts
- DLC will be collected on disk ala Episodes from Liberty City

I wish. :( :( :(

I Hate u so much right now. For a sec I was happy :(

Solo

Okay, I need one of you guys (like that crazy dude who has already 100% this three times) who knows this game inside out to tell me where I can find a reload rate upgrade somewhere between Hengha visit number two and the end of the game.

epmode said:
Yes, the final version of the game locks away a few weapons and items that were present in the press build. In America, the individual items were retailer-exclusive. There's no way to get all of them in your game at once.

..at least, there wasn't until that PC debug menu mod. I haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure if it unlocks that stuff.
It unlocks the weapons, but not the mission.

Turfster

ezekial45 said:
Ah, i remember.
Tong was the guy who escaped by boat, right?
Yep. The aptly named boat. Does the game introduce him if you got the version without the DLC mission? Otherwise, I'm imagining that came out of nowhere.

Balphon

Solo said:
Okay, I need one of you guys (like that crazy dude who has already 100% this three times) who knows this game inside out to tell me where I can find a reload rate upgrade somewhere between Hengha visit number two and the end of the game.

The vendor in the sewer should have one.

Wallach

Solo said:

I want to say there is one at the docks, in the same building where you plant the explosives. Go in from the front, on the level where the sniper is (not the vent just below him), you'll see some shelves through the windows behind where he patrols. There should be an upgrade on one of those shelves, and I think it's reload rate. If not tell me and I'll load up a couple saves where I know there are some other upgrades.

I demand a dancing easter egg in the next deus ex game ala Mas effect 1 and 2.

The wall hugging dance was easily one of the biggest little memes this game produced next to the bitch landlady

Wallach

Solo said:
Alright, thanks guys. Ill check those places when I next fire up the game.

I just double checked, and it is reload rate.

If you look through the windows you won't see the shelves, though you'll find them still when you go through the door on the same ledge as that sniper.

Yo Gotti

Banned
I've been meaning to type up my impressions of the game for a while now. I beat it a few days ago and loved it for the most part. Played it on Give me Deus Ex all the way through. Definitely one of the most memorable games I've played in a few years, and while I think there were a few features that fell short from the original, they studio did an amazing job creating a modern day Deus Ex, overall it's probably just as good if not a better game (haven't finished the original 100%).

I thought the game started strong and for me it peaked when you
break into the Pycus building only to find it abandoned, it really felt like shit was about to hit the fan during that scene. I must've spent an hour reading the e-mails trying to figure out what was going on.
I know a lot of people didn't like that part but I thought it was really well executed.

What I loved:
- The difficulty on GMDE made combat very rewarding, I died in less than 2 seconds of fire. Stealth was forced although with good strategy and the right weapons, I could play a nice blend of stealth and "guns blazing" shootouts.
- Story was awesome. Not much more needs to be said.
- Great Art and Graphics.
- AMAZING sound design. Listen to how crisp the 10mm pistol is whenever you de-holster it. Love that sound. :)

My 1 and only complaint about the game:
- The boss fights are atrocious. Seriously some of the worst bosses I've ever encountered in a videogame. Every single one of them made me want to slam the controller against a wall, then find the cheapest way to beat the boss. Eidos, please, PLEASE make major changes to boss encounters in sequels or DLC.

A few minor things that I'd like to see addressed:
- Needs a better recharge mechanism, it was really lame to spend 90% of the game with just 1 battery charge. Either give us a full recharge or make the final battery last longer... it was just really disappointing to walk into a room full of guards knowing I can only take 1 of them out with melee, then for 20 seconds I've got no aug support what-so-ever. Things like silent walking shouldn't drain the battery IMO.
- Deeper augmentations, I nearly maxed out by the end of the game, like most people. Not saying we need more powers, but something simple like, I'd really have liked to be able to jump another 5 feet higher, or sprint at twice the current max speed. Jensen was a badass by the end of the game but I can't help but feel like JC was even more-so.
- Bigger/more complex environments! This may be a lot to ask for but with Deus Ex, the bigger the landscape/more options available, the better.

Overall, one of my favorite games of this gen. I'll take some time off then come back and give it a second run through with a power focused build, and probably play on Easy or Normal, just to have fun.

^ I agree the one battery was annoying, but they have to balance it somehow. Otherwise, you could walk into a room and sprint from person to person cloaked and takedown everyone over and over again. This way, you plan out what you want, eat the bars you need to accomplish it, and execute the plan.

EmCeeGramr said:

I have it and I'd disable it if I could. Almost meaningless mission that ruins the game's pacing and doesn't make sense.

The grenade launcher is good, though. Three shots downs the first boss in 2 seconds (literally 2 seconds. no exaggeration.)

ceski said:

that's actually hilarious

the box part is true of the mission playthrough video they released. of course, that is the very first mission of the game, but still funny.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Neiteio said:
Quick, GAF, dance for me: Should I get the chip? I'm in Hengsha for the second time... Should I get the chip?

Flip a coin.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Neiteio said:
Quick, GAF, dance for me: Should I get the chip? I'm in Hengsha for the second time... Should I get the chip?

Think about the source. Think about where the information about the chip is coming from given what you've discovered already.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Neat little piece of trivia I found while checking out the Deus Ex page on IMDB; the guy that voices Sarif, Stephen Shellen? In 1995 he played an Outer Limits character named Wayne Haas.

Broseybrose

Man, Im about to leave detroit and i just have to voice the love and and joy and relief i feel about Human Revolution. It lives up to the Deus Ex name, with both downright deep and involved world and shooter/rpg gameplay. I love how theyve brought Deus Ex to 2011. It's an absolutely GORGEOUS game, both technically and artistically. It runs on my PC from 2007 maxed @1920x1200 no problem (8800GTX DX10). Hats off to everyone who worked on this game, because its looking like a masterpiece.

So far, at least...

TTG

Neiteio said:

Well, I didn't and I got to the part where it becomes important. How does it work the other way?
do you have to fight the third evil squad cyborg guy without augs? Is that why I annihilated him so easily with the typhoon and plasma rifle?

TTG said:
Well, I didn't and I got to the part where it becomes important. How does it work the other way?
do you have to fight the third evil squad cyborg guy without augs? Is that why I annihilated him so easily with the typhoon and plasma rifle?

3rd Boss spoilers:

Yeah you have to fight him without augs, plus the screen is going batshit insane while you try to fight him. He was relatively easy even without augs I thought.

red731

I feel like a ninja. I love this game.

Savy hacker(lvl5, stealthy nondetection), icarus, jumping, 50m auto acquire targets on map, stun gun, double takedowns and remote explosions, silent jump and sprint, cloaking and max battery recharge.

It is so great when your plan works out as intended

Run to a room cloaked, meanwhile r2 to remotely detonate explosive, double takedown and stun one more guy. (MCB quest)

Runnning around stealthy, takedown one target at a time, hide, hack, reconfigure everything, shitstorm breaks loose, cloak, stun, dont hide body but let it attract attention and then dragon punch to the ground with icarus.

And my favourite and exploited technique -
Using high jump and land to make a noise -"As if anyone was jumping there, better go check it out". Taken down

also DLC day one.

Havok

Turfster said:
Yep. The aptly named boat. Does the game introduce him if you got the version without the DLC mission? Otherwise, I'm imagining that came out of nowhere.
No, it doesn't introduce that at all. That explains a lot about why I was confused, actually. It was still a neat moment seeing how Tracer got the name, but Tong kept talking about 'my son' and I didn't know what to make of it.

Dumb question probably but why is it that when hacking sometimes when I work my way over to the red node, it won't let me hack it? I feel I'm missing something here.

Balphon

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Dumb question probably but why is it that when hacking sometimes when I work my way over to the red node, it won't let me hack it? I feel I'm missing something here.

Some of the hacking "paths" are one-way, and the ones connecting the red node often lead only away from it.

adg1034

So, I'm way too proud of myself. In that... one situation where all the enemies are shooting at... something that isn't you
Malik
, and you get to decide whether or not to engage everyone to try and save that something, I first went through that situation ignoring everything, figuring things would just work out. Oops. Then I realized "ohshitohshitohshit,
I don't have any concussion or gas grenades/mines, and I'm doing a pacifist run, ohshitohshitohshit." Note that I hadn't seen the gas canisters. My first five tries were exclusively tranq gun-based. That just took waaaaay too long. She always died. Reload, rinse, repeat. Then, lightbulb moment ahoy, cloak -> stun gun everybody but the snipers/throw an EMP grenade at the HUGE ROBOT then drag the nearby merc's body away before it had a chance to die by explosion -> tranq the snipers. Only to find that I hadn't gotten to the merc in time, so he died, which meant I needed to reload a Sarif autosave to try it again since the one from the beginning of the fight had been replaced. Then, though, it worked.

And that, dear readers, is how Adam Jensen, the
cloaked stungun badass, saved Malik
without killing anyone.

Top Bottom