• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Replicant said:
EDIT: wait, that page basically lists even praxis kits that you get by completing mission and the ones you can buy at LIMB clinic. I thought 14 is the number of the ones that are hidden in some back alley or something.

Yeah, it lists the praxis kit you get from Malik's sidequest twice, too

Does anyone else have trouble going back to games without the same level of freedom that the Deus Ex series gives you? I just love how many different things you can do, and the variety of things that can happen in the game. I've started playing Batman: Arkham Asylum, and while it's an amazing game, I keep wishing I had more freedom in the world.

The level of freedom leads to a less polished game, but to a more rich experience than many games, in my opinion.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
SenseiJinx said:
Does anyone else have trouble going back to games without the same level of freedom that the Deus Ex series gives you? I just love how many different things you can do, and the variety of things that can happen in the game. I've started playing Batman: Arkham Asylum, and while it's an amazing game, I keep wishing I had more freedom in the world.

The level of freedom leads to a less polished game, but to a more rich experience than many games, in my opinion.

yes, that's why STALKER and other so called immersive sims are so awesome.

I played Resistance 3 demo yesterday and it felt very restrictive in what you can do. Like shoot... and strafe... and jump. That's all.

But Arkham Asylum gives you a lot of freedom, you'll see it further when more mechanics will open up. Damn, what an amazing game.

Dennis

Banned
SenseiJinx said:

I keep telling GAF that the Holy Grail of Gaming is non-linear open world sandbox games.

Glad to see you have found the Truth.

Famassu

DennisK4 said:
I keep telling GAF that the Holy Grail of Gaming is non-linear open world sandbox games.
There's place for all kinds of games, inside & outside the RPG genre. Non-linearity is not the be-all end-all of gaming.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The_Darkest_Red said:
Yeah but you can't get the achievement. Either way it's a simple solution.
Save your game before talking to the girl (the quest giver), finish the mission lethally and get the achievement. Now load the game back up and do the side-quest non-lethally.

Wait, what achievement do you only get for doing this lethally?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What difficulty should I start at? Is it alright to go with the hardest difficulty?

I want to do a stealth run but odds are I'm not going to be good enough to do it like that the first way through.

GhaleonEB

Its is a known glitch doing Malik's side quest, when meeting wtih Anonymous X the autopsy won't show up in your inventory after the conversation? I just lost over an hour of game time having to revert to my last hard save because neither of the auto saves went back far enough to revert the quest.

Edit: fixed on reloading and replaying up to that point. Weird.

Kuran

Banned
MaddenNFL64 said:
They really should have used the UNATCO remix from the beginning more. That little moment when you're walking into Sarifs office, and the remixed UNATCO music plays... I fucking shit myself with nostalgia goodness.

More of that next time (cuz you know we're gonna see Adam Jensen again... unless they go right to a remake of the first DX?)
Let's hope they don't.

Replicant

Does anyone know
who'd end up picking up the scientists from Singapore if you don't save Malik?
I don't think I'd ever pick that path so I may as well spoil myself by asking.

DTKT

Replicant said:
Does anyone know

I think it's a random chopper at the end.

subversus said:
yes, that's why STALKER and other so called immersive sims are so awesome.

I played Resistance 3 demo yesterday and it felt very restrictive in what you can do. Like shoot... and strafe... and jump. That's all.

But Arkham Asylum gives you a lot of freedom, you'll see it further when more mechanics will open up. Damn, what an amazing game.

Yeah, nothing against Arkham Asylum. It's a fantastic game, I'm loving it. But the world doesn't really seem to have the same level of interactivity as Deus Ex. My comment wasn't necessarily against AA itself, but just other games in general that don't afford the same kind of experience, and AA just happened to be the game I'm playing currently.

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing -- not every game should have it. It just makes for a different kind of experience.

As a side note, I've got to say that Sevchencko
was such a boss. I wish we would have actually seen more than the 30 seconds or so of him in the game. Out of the scientists that were kidnapped, he was the one that actually saw through all of their manipulative crap, and actively did everything he could to escape. Megan was probably in on all of it, and the other scientists were either taken in by the whole Stockholm syndrome thing, or too afraid to anything. Not Sevchenko. Too bad he ended up dead because of it. =/

eshwaaz

I am in the middle of Gears 3, Resistance 3 and Dead Island. Last night I sat down to to play a game and chose... to start a second play-through of Deus Ex: HR. Man, I just love this game; such a wonderfully refreshing and engaging experience overall. I hope the upcoming DLC is worthy.

GhaleonEB

DennisK4 said:

Glad to see you have found the Truth.

It was actually Halo that turned me onto sandbox games, and it's a (mostly) very linear game; the sandbox, freeform play comes in how you approach encounters, rather than the order of them. It's the reason I can't play most other shooters. Since then I've bought mostly open world games this generation (Crackdown, Oblivion, Fallout 3), or ones with heavy non-linear elements to the combat cycle such as Arkham Asylum. Deus Ex has nestled in between, comfortably. I'm okay with that spectrum, but I can't play corridor games any longer. There needs to be freedom, either in the game world or in the way the combat is structured, depending on the game.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Replicant said:
Does anyone know
There's just a chopper already there. Nothing special about it whatsoever.

harriet the spy said:
I just reached
Hengsha for the second time
. How far am I from the end (if i to every sub-quest)?

Probably about 3/4ths of the way done, depending on how much you do in Hengsha this time around.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DennisK4 said:
Probably GOTY but I still haven't played The Witcher 2 and there are still some big games left.

Will you ever play The Witcher 2?

DennisK4 said:
I am at that warehouse thing to get the Typhoon, that is the first mission. I just got my first Praxis point but I haven't spent it yet.

Nice. Personally, I didn't like the first mission all that much (until the end of it, that is). When the game really clicked with me was when I got to the first hub and started exploring and doing side quests.

Probably my 2011 GOTY as well -- although in all fairness, I think I've only played two games in 2011 that actually came out in 2011...regardless, I still love the game.

Pennybags

GhaleonEB said:
Its is a known glitch doing Malik's side quest, when meeting wtih Anonymous X the autopsy won't show up in your inventory after the conversation? I just lost over an hour of game time having to revert to my last hard save because neither of the auto saves went back far enough to revert the quest.

Edit: fixed on reloading and replaying up to that point. Weird.

It fixed itself for me upon immediately reloading the mission checkpoint autosave. No replaying was required when it happened to me.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Bboy AJ said:
What difficulty should I start at? Is it alright to go with the hardest difficulty?

I want to do a stealth run but odds are I'm not going to be good enough to do it like that the first way through.
Anyone?

SenseiJinx said:
Probably about 3/4ths of the way done, depending on how much you do in Hengsha this time around.
Thanks! Wish it was a bit longer, but it's pretty damn good as it is.

Minor grudges:

a) the fact that EVERYONE carries their passwords on themselves or have emails on their computer with their newest passwords (along with an instruction to delete the email, of course) breaks a bit the immersion for me. Not sure what the alternative should have been, but it becomes borderline ridiculous at some point (as some people have mentioned, even with the password I still hack everything for the XP, which really does not make a lot of sense).

b) Is the tranquilizer rifle the only 'almost' surefire way to incapacitate someone silently? (if you actually don't miss them). Pretty any other 'silent' move (gun with silencer, takedown, stun gun) makes enough noise to alert people nearby.

c) Robots are super shitty tech if just one shitty 150 buck EMP grenade is all it takes to take down those probably million-dollar machines.

d) there should have been different hacking mini games. The one in the game was not too bad, though.

Boss fights were not nearly as bad as people made them sound like (i mean they were not great, but i don't see why they were so hard).

Bboy AJ said:

I played it on the normal difficulty my first time through. Was still challenging, but not frustratingly so. Can't vouch for or against hard, but normal was definitely satisfying.

Thanks! Wish it was a bit longer, but it's pretty damn good as it is.

There's a fair amount to do in Hengsha the second time, and you've got a fair amount of stuff to do afterwards. Still,
the fact that they had to drop a few hubs (Montreal in particular) is pretty obvious...hopefully we get some DLC with one of the dropped hubs one of these days.

Minor grudges:

a) the fact that EVERYONE carries their passwords on themselves or have emails on their computer with their newest passwords (along with an instruction to delete the email, of course) breaks a bit the immersion for me. Not sure what the alternative should have been, but it becomes borderline ridiculous at some point (as some people have mentioned, even with the password I still hack everything for the XP, which really does not make a lot of sense).

b) Is the tranquilizer rifle the only 'almost' surefire way to incapacitate someone silently? (if you actually don't miss them). Pretty any other 'silent' move (gun with silencer, takedown, stun gun) makes enough noise to alert people nearby.

c) Robots are super shitty tech if just one shitty 150 buck EMP grenade is all it takes to take down those probably million-dollar machines.

d) there should have been different hacking mini games. The one in the game was not too bad, though.

Boss fights were not nearly as bad as people made them sound like (i mean they were not great, but i don't see why they were so hard).

a) - Yeah, that's always been one of the silly aspects of DX. I loved how the games portray security in 2027/2050 as putting your four number passcode or dictionary word password on an easily accessible "pocket secretary" and then dropping it somewhere. Even then, I don't know why Adam needs a complex hacking system...he should be able to just run a quick bruteforce program to get into anything -- would be a simple dictionary attack in most cases.

b) - Stun gun works silently as well. As long as no-one sees you or the body, they won't hear anything. Also, non-lethal takedowns are silent as well. Your only risk is someone seeing you or the body.

Wallach

JayDub said:
Unrelated, but do I need to finish Witcher 1 before I play Witcher 2?

Nah. To be honest a lot of TW1 seems totally unimportant to TW2.

GhaleonEB said:
I finally succumbed to temptation and plugged a random civilian with my juiced up revolver, just to break the ice on the non-lethal run I was doing. I've whipped it out a few times since, and am glad I did. Though, it's not rocking exploding ammo yet - and it's still a beast. I really like the weapon upgrade system, it makes nearly every weapon viable.

Important tip - if you're playing lethal this time, do not ignore the recoil aug upgrades. They are very powerful if you are going to be unloading firearms in combat often. The sooner you get them the easier open combat becomes by a large margin.

SenseiJinx said:
\
b) - Stun gun works silently as well. As long as no-one sees you or the body, they won't hear anything. Also, non-lethal takedowns are silent as well. Your only risk is someone seeing you or the body.
I am fairly certain that i risen suspicion from very nearby guards who couldn't see me by incapacitating another guard by stun gun and non-lethal takedown, but didn't by tranq. rifle (again, unless i miss, in which the guy i was shooting at screams to the high heavens someone is attacking him)

I should try to do a video. Maybe it's all in my head.

GhaleonEB

Wallach said:
Important tip - if you're playing lethal this time, do not ignore the recoil aug upgrades. They are very powerful if you are going to be unloading firearms in combat often. The sooner you get them the easier open combat becomes by a large margin.
Yup, I learned that one on the first run through. I've transitioned from pure non-lethal stealth through the first boss, to the occasional kill now and then, to a 70/30 non-lethal/lethal mix currently. Before I made that last transition, I maxed out the recoil/aim trees.

I equipped the exploding bullets upgrade just before bumping into the resident of pod 301, for the ensuing shootout.

I like exploding bullets. They make me happy.

harriet the spy said:
I am fairly certain that i risen suspicion from very nearby guards who couldn't see me by incapacitating another guard by stun gun and non-lethal takedown, but didn't by tranq. rifle (again, unless i miss, in which the guy i was shooting at screams to the high heavens someone is attacking him)

I guess I could be wrong. I always thought that when it alerted the enemies, it was because they saw it happen or something. I could've sworn that I had stun gunned people ten feet away from other enemies without anyone being alarmed. My memory might be faulty though.

Nocebo

harriet the spy said:

I've never had a person be alerted by my stun gun. Unless they themselves were facing me while I shot them from around the corner or if a buddy of theirs saw their body fall unconscious. And I used it a bunch of times at the start of the game.
I take almost everyone out with a non lethal take down now though, to get that extra little bit of xp.

Uhghh... gonna have to replay this a 4th time to get the Foxy trophy.

I'll wait a few weeks before doing it though, a 4th run in 5 days is too much. Battlefield 3 beta and Uncharted 3 MP will give me a break from overdeus'n on exes.

IoCaster

So I'm waiting for RAGE to drop and doing a temp hold on F:NV DLC. I decided to have another go at this game, going totally gonzo with guns blazing.

tym1.png

tym2.png

tym3.png

tym4.png

Picus gives you up to the minute newsflash on Jenson lunatic gunman shooting up TYM. Kind of like the shit that went down at Sarif six months prior.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DennisK4 said:
Sure. I am just waiting for 2.0

Seems silly to start when the upgrade is just around the corner.

2.0 will be released, and they'll announced 2.5. Then 3.0. Then the Enhanced Edition with improved shadow filtering and other graphical bells and whistles. Then a large sized expansion.

YOU'LL NEVER PLAY IT.

Korigama

IoCaster said:
So I'm waiting for RAGE to drop and doing a temp hold on F:NV DLC. I decided to have another go at this game, going totally gonzo with guns blazing.

http://www.iocaster.com/images/tym1.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.iocaster.com/images/tym2.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.iocaster.com/images/tym3.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.iocaster.com/images/tym4.png[IMG]

Picus gives you up to the minute newsflash on [s]Jenson[/s] lunatic gunman shooting up TYM. Kind of like the shit that went down at Sarif six months prior.[/QUOTE]
They wind up saying this even if you play non-lethal.

Does anyone else suffer from motion sickness while playing this game? I'm playing the PC version, perhaps some settings that could be changed? Anyway, i'd appreciate any advice.

Famassu

AniHawk said:
so i beat this game yesterday. wasn't bad or terrific. so i don't know why its official thread is over 18k in posts.
Because, shocking as it is, other people don't share your POV of the game?

I know, this is a radical suggestion, but there just might be something to it...

GhaleonEB

Kole_Koiott said:
Does anyone else suffer from motion sickness while playing this game? I'm playing the PC version, perhaps some settings that could be changed? Anyway, i'd appreciate any advice.
I had issues early on due to the head bob when walking; it's a really weird implementation and gives me the impression I'm a duck, waddling around. It's especially strange because the effort at creating immersion is so scattershot; our vision bobs from side to side (which it does not in real life), but we can't see our legs. It's just weird.

I found that sitting back an extra few feet from my TV helped mitigate the problem. Getting more of the non-bobbing world around the TV seemed to help. Since you're on PC, not sure if that's an option for you.

Top Bottom