• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Window

soultron said:
Finished it. The ending section made me sit and think a long time.

It's rare that a videogame can actually make me sit and ponder something like that.

I just finished it as well and had the exact same feeling. Also the music in this game is absolutely great.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Troidal said:
Third playthrough and still fucking missed Foxiest...WTF

Time to put the game to rest for a year or something. Ugh...

I managed to miss both that one and Pacifist even though I'm sure I didn't kill anyone other than the bosses. Every body I checked all had Zzz displayed :-/

Gvaz

Banned
Replicant said:
I don't think it's a bug. The guards will catch on to you if you're on their field of vision. It doesn't matter if you're in a room. If the room has a window, the guards WILL see you if you don't time your hack correctly or do it quickly.

However, there are times when you are inside a window-less room but the guards outside can become suspicious when they hear noises. Sometimes they check blindly while fibbing, saying things like "I know someone's there" even though they're not sure.
I was in a room in the first real level, with the doors closed standing near the corner not moving while crouched, a purity first guy comes around the corner I was at and the pointer showing the guard went down the hall then suddenly looks at me, through the wall and raises the alarm. What.

Window

I really don't get the complaints about having only one energy bar recharge mentioned earlier in the thread. Even with just one cell cloaking can be 'abused' a lot.

Guys. I'm currently stuck, literally. I just
spoke with Taggart about Isaias and currently in the Convention Center.
The problem is that when I attempt to walk back out into Detroit's streets, the loading screen will get stuck and never load the area I'm trying to get to. I tried several things such as having Steam verify my files and such.

I have considered re-installing, but I am worried about my save files.

Window said:
I really don't get the complaints about having only one energy bar recharge mentioned earlier in the thread. Even with just one cell cloaking can be 'abused' a lot.
It's kind of a bummer when you're first playing and you don't realize how good cloaking is or how plentiful candy bars are, and you put that praxis point into what you think would be an extra cell that recharges.

But later on it's very understandable why they did it that way.

soultron

Banned
KittenMaster said:
It's kind of a bummer when you're first playing and you don't realize how good cloaking is or how plentiful candy bars are, and you put that praxis point into what you think would be an extra cell that recharges.

But later on it's very understandable why they did it that way.
I'd have much preferred simply spending points to reduce the energy costs of actions. Even with plentiful consumables, you'd eventually get yourself into a situation wherein you had to wait for your 1st energy cell to recharge before you could progress. I say this as a player who had the maximum size inventory, 4 cells, and regularly kept energy consumables handy. It was restrictive of my playstyle and slowed my pace when I had to wait for the 1st cell to recharge. I couldn't effectively "string" actions together unless I had consumables on hand -- if I didn't, I was forced to pause and wait.

Turns out my loading issues came from save corruption, and I am terrified it'll happen again. I have to redo a side quest because I wasn't needing to make many saves for that part of the game.

Replicant

Gvaz said:
I was in a room in the first real level, with the doors closed standing near the corner not moving while crouched, a purity first guy comes around the corner I was at and the pointer showing the guard went down the hall then suddenly looks at me, through the wall and raises the alarm. What.

I've had some situations like that. It's likely he has seen OR aware of your presence one way or another (noise/vision/camera, etc). Check if there's window in the room or air ventilation in the door. They often duck and check through that. Also do not underestimate their field of vision. If you don't think you're not completely covered by an object, there's a likelihood you're going to be seen by them.

soultron

Banned
Electivirus said:
God, I need an HDTV. I can't even read most of the options without squinting 2 inches away from my TV. :(
Playing this game in HD will be akin to an enlightenment, I'm sure. It's pretty gorgeous from an artistic standpoint. You'll appreciate it when you get to some of the later areas in the game where the set design gets crazy-good.

Mako_Drug

Electivirus said:
God, I need an HDTV. I can't even read most of the options without squinting 2 inches away from my TV. :(

It's 2011 yo.

I bought the weapons/shitty mission packs on steam and I'm probably going to do the same on PSN. I'm part of the problem. :(

soultron

Banned
Hawkian said:
MUST
SAVE MALIK
AAARg

edit: :D
any time, fly girl
It was so rewarding doing that because of the connection with the character. I wasn't sure if it could be done, but when it happened (after reloading and trying again) I was all, "Tres Bien, Eidos Montreal. Tres bien." c:

soultron said:
It was so rewarding doing that because of the connection with the character. I wasn't sure if it could be done, but when it happened (after reloading and trying again) I was all, "Tres Bien, Eidos Montreal. Tres bien." c:

Same here, then
she basically dissapears from the game, anyway
, if only the game handled NPC character relationships as well as Alpha Protocol.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Wait, you can
save Malik??!
AARRRGGGHHH why wasn't I aware of this first time through? When I saw
her body in Tong's Harvester hideout
later on, I wanted to cry. Then I took down every last guy in the place out of anger.

Guess I know what I'm doing on this second playthrough, then.
I'm coming, baby!

soultron

Banned
bishoptl said:
Wait, you can
save Malik??!
later on, I wanted to cry. Then I took down every last guy in the place out of anger.

I'm coming, baby!
U So Fly,
Fly Girl

A tale of love, loss, and redemtion in two parts, by soultron.

MOVEMENT i

As your
wounded sarcophagi burned
, my failures sunk in, my friend.
As I gave pause, I determined the
belltower
shan't knell for you again.
I refused to see you a
discarded victim, tucked away in the depths of a harvester's den
.*

END MOVEMENT i

... Intermission ...

MOVEMENT ii

"Not like this," I quipped calmly.
And then I shot everyone with my fully-upgraded
revolver
-- complete with
rounds explosif

END MOVEMENT ii

*I totally just learned about that now. So glad I did what I did.

soultron

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
Same here, then
she basically dissapears from the game, anyway
, if only the game handled NPC character relationships as well as Alpha Protocol.
Agreed on that, definitely. I fucking love AP for that reason. The writing was top-notch. The game's writing often remembered your actions better than you, yourself, might have. It still blows me away how the first decisions (AP character spoiler:
Al Asaad
) you made in the game came back to affect the endgame.

Late game location/plot spoilers ahead. Back to DE: H+, who rescues the
Sarif scientists from the Omega Ranch if Malik doesn't?

soultron said:
Agreed on that, definitely. I fucking love AP for that reason. The writing was top-notch. The game's writing often remembered your actions better than you, yourself, might have. It still blows me away how the first decisions (AP character spoiler:
Al Asaad
) you made in the game came back to affect the endgame.

Late game location/plot spoilers ahead. Back to DE: H+, who rescues the
Sarif scientists from the Omega Ranch if Malik doesn't?
no one. there is a "helicopter" just waiting on the pad.

Labadal

About
saving Malik
, I managed to do that and still got Pacifist and Foxiest of the hounds,
despite some of the soldiers dying when I blew up the robot. Be sure to have an EMP grenade and lots of Gas grenades. unfortunately, you only speak to her one more time during the game.
I did this on "Give me a challenge" difficulty, doubt I can pull it off on "Give me Deus Ex" difficulty.

Beat the game yesterday, took me ~40 hours. Missed Cloaks and Daggers quest, so I'll do that one on my next run. The only thing that I had a big issue with was the first boss battle. I personally felt it wasn't any fun or good. There were some minor issues, but they didn't hurt the game too much.

My GOTY, so far. Good story and writing most of the time, a game world that was fun to explore and different ways to reach your goals. Loved the graphical design and the music fit the game very well. They should have expanded more on some of the NPCs. There were lots of interesting characters, and they could have been even better.

Hope to see this team get a chance to work on Thief 4.

GhaleonEB

bishoptl said:
Wait, you can
save Malik??!

I'm coming, baby!
This is the reason I'll never get the Pacifist achievement. I get to that part, and just start killing guys left and right.

I didn't think you could
save Malik
at first, so I didn't try, and then then I noticed how long it took for the explosion to go off. A couple reloads later, I pulled it off. Very rewarding.
I don't think I could handle finding her body at the Harvester hideout, that's a wonderful, brutal touch. Especially since she mentions earlier in the story that she has some augs.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
upJTboogie said:
Wow fuck the third boss, nothing is working on this kid.

Frag grenade to stun him.

Point blank minigun to the face. (I think they call it the heavy rifle or something.)

He should literally die in seconds.

If you do not have these two in your inventory, I am out of ideas.

Labadal

GhaleonEB said:
This is the reason I'll never get the Pacifist achievement. I get to that part, and just start killing guys left and right.

I didn't think you could
save Malik
at first, so I didn't try, and then then I noticed how long it took for the explosion to go off. A couple reloads later, I pulled it off. Very rewarding.
I don't think I could handle finding her body at the Harvester hideout, that's a wonderful, brutal touch. Especially since she mentions earlier in the story that she has some augs.

Tranquilizer Rifle + 1 EMP Grenade and a few Gas Grenades should do the trick.
I saved Malik
and still got Pacifist.

Londa

Banned
bishoptl said:
Wait, you can
save Malik??!

I'm coming, baby!

whaha
I saved Malik
like a boss.

Wow I had no idea
her body shows up again if she dies...
mind blown

GhaleonEB

Labadal said:
Tranquilizer Rifle + 1 EMP Grenade and a few Gas Grenades should do the trick.
I saved Malik
and still got Pacifist.
I didn't think the tranq rifle would kill guys fast enough; the heavies in particular take forever to drop. I may try it, though.

The one thing that worries me about doing a Pacifist run is the way the game does not let you know when I've failed it. I'm worried that I'll get all the way through and have one of the glitches or accidents spoil it without my knowing. I've had bodies I've knocked out clip into the ground, killing them and a few tranq shots kill people. I've read stories from a lot of people who thought they pulled it off, only to fail for reasons they didn't understand. I wish the game had a stats page, for things like enemies taken down, doors hacked, people killed, etc. It would help ensure a successful run.

O.DOGG

Yeah, it can be done with just the tranq rifle, a couple of candy bars and an EMP grenade. Did it a couple of times on hard. Very rewarding.

Labadal

GhaleonEB said:
I didn't think the tranq rifle would kill guys fast enough; the heavies in particular take forever to drop. I may try it, though.

The one thing that worries me about doing a Pacifist run is the way the game does not let you know when I've failed it. I'm worried that I'll get all the way through and have one of the glitches or accidents spoil it without my knowing. I've had bodies I've knocked out clip into the ground, killing them and a few tranq shots kill people. I've read stories from a lot of people who thought they pulled it off, only to fail for reasons they didn't understand. I wish the game had a stats page, for things like enemies taken down, doors hacked, people killed, etc. It would help ensure a successful run.

Gas Grenades are meant to be used on the heavies on the ground, and Tranq for the sniper and soilders higher up. The EMP is saved for the robot. When it blew up, two heavies actually died, but it didn't count them as kills by my hand. You have to act very quickly and know exactly what to do. Managed to do it on my third try.

I also wished they had a stats page. When I did a no kills playthrough in Alpha Protocol, I could always check how many enemies I had killed. I never had any bugs related to knocked out enemies suddenly dying or anything like that.

I know bosses have a bad rep in this game, but I love how stuff that normally doesn't work on bosses in games will work (stunning, etc) and the ways you fight them don't rely on scripted events.

In the end the boss fights work well in this game and are really not that different from Walton Simons in the first DX. Yeah they could have been better but they also could have been way worse.

I enjoyed the bosses, especially Yelena, but I also didn't try to cheese them and found them to be really fun. Yelena was really tense, as I could never get away from her in time ( I didn't have typhoon or dermal armor) and she'd always tear me a new ashole, so I'd have to limp away, heal, then try to EMP her before she disappeared again. Everytime Eliza warned me she was coming, I went "OH SHIT OH SHIT" and started frantically prepping for the next round of asswhooping, recipient me.

That said, I agree that the bosses don't really fit the feel of the game or narrative at all.

Replicant

GhaleonEB said:
If you're not good at sniping you can use:

1-2 Candy jar
Cloak
Stun gun
1 EMP bomb

1. Jump off the balcony, eat candy, cloak up, run to the 3 heavies with big guns.
2. Stun the first guy and the second guy near the crate. Throw them away to area near the lift/third guy.
3. Stun the third guy and if you're fast you can stun the fourth guy in front of you before the mech drop down.
4. When the mech drop down, throw the EMP bomb and if you can/ fast, stun the fifth/last guy on the ground.
5. Quickly run up the stairs and stun the 3 mercs on the 2nd level. If you haven't taken out the last merc on the ground, drop down and stun him.
6. If you have stunned the last guy on the ground and the 3 on 2nd level, either use tranq gun to aim at the 2 snipers on the rooftop OR run up the stairs and stun them.

If you're fast and efficient, you should be able to
keep Malik and the mercs alive

IMPORTANT: you MUST get the 3 mercs on the ground away enough from the mech before you explode the machine with EMP bomb.

Also, taking down priority goes: guys on ground -> Mech -> leftover guys on ground (if you haven't stunned them before the mech came down) -> 3 guys on 2nd level -> 2 snipers on rooftop

SHAZOOM

StoppedInTracks said:
Why isn't Dennis posting more pics? Did he stop his playthrough?

Probably waiting for a new ENB build. I've never seen pics of anything other than the Opening Stages of games from Dennis.

Just finished my (47-hour) playthrough. I successfully managed to avoid all these threads and spoilers until finally playing the game.

Really, really dug it. I want more and I can't wait for Missing Link.

It's funny -- until entering this thread, I didn't even know it was possible to save Malik.

And looking through the achievements after completing the game shows me I missed a side quest (Bar Tab) -- bummer.

As for the boss battles -- I was a little worried before starting, because I kept seeing headlines talking about how frustrating they were. I personally didn't find this to be the case -- even with a stealth first build, I thought they were too easy -- and not because I'm some awesome gamer because I'm not. It's just when done with the proper approach, they fell and fell fast (EMPs, mines, maybe a typhoon to finish off the job).

And even though the Missing Link DLC will feature in-house boss battles, I doubt they will be any 'better'. I just think in a game like DX:HR that it would be difficult to build a boss battle that isn't simultaneously too hard and too easy due to the massive number of options the player has for approaching it. Do it wrong and you're out of luck; hit on the right combination and it's too easy. Maybe they'll prove me wrong.

The Nature Roy said:
And even though the Missing Link DLC will feature in-house boss battles, I doubt they will be any 'better'. I just think in a game like DX:HR that it would be difficult to build a boss battle that isn't simultaneously too hard and too easy due to the massive number of options the player has for approaching it. Do it wrong and you're out of luck; hit on the right combination and it's too easy. Maybe they'll prove me wrong.

I think DX1 did it fairly well. The "bosses" were really just more powerful enemies in non-enclosed areas. They could be ridiculously easy, too, if you knew how to fight them, but still significantly challenging if you took a head on approach. And there were plenty of ways to approach the situation.

Anna and Gunther you could insta-kill with their kill phrases. There were some exploits that would allow you to never kill them. You could take them head on in a firefight (bad idea) or stealth around or whatnot.

My favorite was the Simmons one. You could literally just run away from the fight, and then he would turn up later in the game. Or you could defeat him right there. It was a really hard fight, but I have fond memories of how I finally beat him in my last playthrough. Ran through the door and activated ALL of my augs -- which includes cloak and speed. Ran as fast as I could to the opposite side of the room. Eventually Simmons just thinks Denton ran away, at which point I snuck up behind him and gave him two wacks with the Dragon's Tooth.

Basically, they encouraged you to use your abilities and your DX playstyle instead of throw it out the window.

Vorg

Banned
I'm curious... Is it possible to kill key characters like sarif or pritchard and continue the game? Already finished the story but haven't tried it.

rukland

acidspunk said:
I'm curious... Is it possible to kill key characters like sarif or pritchard and continue the game? Already finished the story but haven't tried it.

I don't know myself but now I want to go try and see what happens.

Top Bottom