• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

I'm surprised they are even releasing an OST, given how unoriginal it is.

Anyway, the game is surprisingly awesome. Really nailed the feel of the original, even down to the less brilliant but lovable things like strange game-time and down right goofy NPCs. Very good job all around. Oh, and rewards for exploration are back, woohoo!

played through the missing link last night did not unlock Factory Zero trophy.
I think the reason behind it is I used hacked robots and turrets on enemies.

dmshaposv

AltogetherAndrews said:
I'm surprised they are even releasing an OST, given how unoriginal it is.

Anyway, the game is surprisingly awesome. Really nailed the feel of the original, even down to the less brilliant but lovable things like strange game-time and down right goofy NPCs. Very good job all around. Oh, and rewards for exploration are back, woohoo!

The OST isn't unique or original like say that of Bastion, but HR's OST is very well done and much better than usual fare.

noire said:
Finished it up last night. I'm lukewarm on it overall, which given that I have more bad than good to say about the game is odd.

My issues:
- Hacking slowed the pace down too much.
- Terrible animations when it came to talking with NPCs.
- No characters that were particularly memorable
- No aiming down the sights (maybe because I only used tranq. rifle, stun gun and P.E.P.S.)
- after I maxed out hacking stuff, and strength, I didn't find any of the other Augs all that compelling.

Good things:
- The story was convoluted, but I guess that probably goes with the territory. It was a nice departure from military shooters, etc.
- Some cool set pieces. I loved the entrance to the dock and the elevator thing in the last stage that showed the scale of that place.
- First good stealth game in awhile
- Detroit. Didn't care for most other maps.

Re: bolded part. You can aim down the sights of most weapons...it''s a given that you're not going to be able to aim down the site on a rifle (which would make no sense anyway, since you just use the scope) and PEPs isn't really meant to be a "dead on" accurate weapon, but more of an area of effect weapon. All of the weapons that would need it have it (pistol, shotgun, machine pistol, combat rifle, etc).

nel e nel

noire said:
Good things:
- The story was convoluted, but I guess that probably goes with the territory. It was a nice departure from military shooters, etc.

I found that the story really opened up for me on a 2nd playthrough. There was that article earlier this year that reported people actually like spoilers, and while I can't say I agree one way or the other, there was something about that 2nd playthrough where knowing what would happen really helped me to keep better track of who was who and how everyone was connected.

They did a really great job of setting up all the pieces in the prologue and slowly revealing all the layers of deception and subterfuge.

FerranMG

So, guys, I'm on the verge of picking this one.
Never played Deus Ex before, and despite having read a bit about the series, I really can't figure out what to expect.

Could you help me decide by filling this?

* I will like the game if...
* I won't like the game if...

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
FerranMG said:
Never played Deus Ex before, and despite having read a bit about the series, I really can't figure out what to expect.

you will like the game if you enjoy other combo shooter/rpg hybrids like fallout 3. you will like the game if you wanted better shooting mechanics in those games. you will like the game if you enjoy first-to-third-to-first person cover shooting. you will like the game if you enjoy expanding your skills via upgrades and seeing tangible results in the way you play the game.

you will not like the game if you are strictly looking for a game in which it is fun to shoot. that is not this game. you will not like the game if any of the inverse of the "like" section is true.

all that said: buy it. it is awesome. i finished it last week and it's one of the biggest surprises in a long time to me.

spekkeh

Banned
FerranMG said:

Actually what I liked most about the game is that it wasn't really like any other game. So I can't fill out your template. Of all the games it weirdly reminded me the most of beyond good and evil, in that it had shooting and stealthy bits and intrigue, and the characters were fun but sort of cardboard.

ScOULaris

Finally beat the game yesterday. It falls victim to the all-too-common symptom of game development: a rushed ending section and final boss.

Like all of the bosses, the final fight was just sloppy. But what pissed me off even more was how lazy and thoughtless the actual ending was.

I still enjoyed the game a lot, but damn did that last hour take the wind out of this game's sails.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I highly recommend The Missing Link. The DLC's design is top-notch and my first thorough run took me a little over 6 hours to complete.

It also has a fantastic achievement for completing the entire DLC without and augs/guns/explosives. I completed that on my second run through on hard and had a ton of fun with it.

Stallion Free said:
I highly recommend The Missing Link. The DLC's design is top-notch and my first thorough run took me a little over 6 hours to complete.

It also has a fantastic achievement for completing the entire DLC without and augs/guns/explosives. I completed that on my second run through on hard and had a ton of fun with it.

I second that. Really great experience, fits in really well with the main game (didn't feel shoehorned to me). Sheds some extra interesting tidbits on the story, for those interested, and plays really well.

ctrayne

Stallion Free said:

Thirded. Excellent DLC.

Ketch

Does the DLC fit into the main game naturally or is it selectable from the menu?
OR
Is it better to buy the DLC before playing through the game for the first time?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Stallion Free said:

I was waiting to hear some impressions like this. I'm short on cash right now but I'll definitely check it out at some point.

Kazzy

EasyTGT said:
Does the DLC fit into the main game naturally or is it selectable from the menu?
OR

Its a separate scenario from the main-menu.

ctrayne

EasyTGT said:
OR
Don't play it before finishing about 75% of the game. It selectable from Steam as a separate game. Not sure on consoles.

EasyTGT said:
OR

It takes place during a section of the main game, but it's accessible entirely separately. (You don't need a save at that point in order to play it.)

dmshaposv said:
The OST isn't unique or original like say that of Bastion, but HR's OST is very well done and much better than usual fare.

It does it's job, which is what you would expect from a soundtrack. But it's hardly worth much outside of the game. And, aside from the obvious and natural throwbacks to the original, there were some bits that were either blatantly thugged from others, or heavily inspired by others.

beelzebozo said:
you will like the game if you enjoy first-to-third-to-first person cover shooting.

See, the problem there is that it doesn't do it all that well. It really isn't a very good shooter, and I guess it doesn't need to be (much like Deus Ex) since it's so good at other things... but a good cover shooter it is not.

SenseiJinx said:
I second that. Really great experience, fits in really well with the main game (didn't feel shoehorned to me). Sheds some extra interesting tidbits on the story, for those interested, and plays really well.

amazing experience so far, and does so well to bring to life the time missed between areas in the original game.

Honestly, my favorite piece of DLC, and one of my favorite areas in the Deus Ex universe.

I can't stress enough how much rain + oceans + cyberpunk fits so perfectly.

AltogetherAndrews said:
It does it's job, which is what you would expect from a soundtrack. But it's hardly worth much outside of the game. And, aside from the obvious and natural throwbacks to the original, there were some bits that were either blatantly thugged from others, or heavily inspired by others.

Worth much to me actually. I listen to it standalone A LOT, especially when I'm painting/drawing. But it has to do with taste and other factors of course.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Can anyone explain certain parts of the Missing Link to me.
Who is the voice that is talking to Quinn at the end? What is the organization that Quinn and the voice works for? Is it the Illuminati? Also, I understand that the Hyron is partly researched here but what happened to Savage?

kayos90 said:
Can anyone explain certain parts of the Missing Link to me.
Who is the voice that is talking to Quinn at the end? What is the organization that Quinn and the voice works for? Is it the Illuminati? Also, I understand that the Hyron is partly researched here but what happened to Savage?

No idea, honestly. Possibly an organization and a person that we've never met in DX1, or the main game. Definitely not the Illuminati, because that's the organization that they're fighting against.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
SenseiJinx said:
No idea, honestly. Possibly an organization and a person that we've never met in DX1, or the main game. Definitely not the Illuminati, because that's the organization that they're fighting against.
I wanted to think it was Bob Page but I don't think he talked like that. I was actually thinking perhaps if it was Page then he was getting ready to overthrow the Illuminati. I don't know...

to get Factor Zero, You can not upgrade at all (not even with points granted through experience), do not use guns and explosives. you can pick up proxis kit, ammo and weapons, just dont use em. if you can't go through a door, just take down enemies nearby and loot their body for code (pocket secretary).
leathal takedowns and alarts will not affect this trophy.

it sounds hard, but actually fairly easy. I just kill everyone I could Kill with takedown and go straight for the objective. it's actually a lot faster than playthrough normally.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Laekon said:
So I just got to the
data core area in China
but haven't fought the 2nd boss yet. At a slow/explore everything pace am I even close to the half way part of the game?
I'd say you're near the halfway point, or possibly slightly past it.

kayos90 said:
I wanted to think it was Bob Page but I don't think he talked like that. I was actually thinking perhaps if it was Page then he was getting ready to overthrow the Illuminati. I don't know...

Yeah, that was my first inclination as well. Maybe Quinn is working for an early version of MJ12?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This DLC is reminding me why Deus Ex might be my favorite game this gen, but it's also making me get hella hyped about Thief 4. I'd really like to see some more gameplay of that.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Dumb question but which keys on PC are quick save and quick load by default? I ask because each time I press ESC or go to the options (Hence not being able to see the configs) it hard locks and I have to reboot the PC (only happens in Deus Ex). I stopped playing it because I was losing a lot of progress from time to time with each death.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Gen X said:
Dumb question but which keys on PC are quick save and quick load by default? I ask because each time I press ESC or go to the options (Hence not being able to see the configs) it hard locks and I have to reboot the PC (only happens in Deus Ex). I stopped playing it because I was losing a lot of progress from time to time with each death.
F5 is save

FerranMG

beelzebozo said:
you will like the game if you enjoy other combo shooter/rpg hybrids like fallout 3. you will like the game if you wanted better shooting mechanics in those games. you will like the game if you enjoy first-to-third-to-first person cover shooting. you will like the game if you enjoy expanding your skills via upgrades and seeing tangible results in the way you play the game.

you will not like the game if you are strictly looking for a game in which it is fun to shoot. that is not this game. you will not like the game if any of the inverse of the "like" section is true.

all that said: buy it. it is awesome. i finished it last week and it's one of the biggest surprises in a long time to me.

Thanks everyone who answered.
I'll be picking it up, seems to be kind of a unique experience.. I'm sure I can at least enjoy that. :)

Deadly said:
I think it's more cause people liked the OST alot and there was enough demand to warrant an actual full OST. Don't think there were plans at first to release a seperate soundtrack.
I don't have proof, but I want to call bullshit on that. A lot games which have a decently famous composers and an actual quality soundtrack do get releases. (see kyd's stuff for instance).

milkham

derFeef said:
Them being outsourced has nothing to do with them being in the game, though. I wanna stop playing because I can't beat the 2nd boss... it's too bad that you are forced into a palystyle you have avoided so far.

i didn't have much trouble with her and i didn't even have the dermal upgrades. what i did was toss EMP grenade to stun and then unload an upgraded shotty into her. I was doing pacifist run but i still carried a bunch of weapons and ammo with me.

Laughing Banana said:
Is there a new game+ here?

Also, I heard from many places around the Internet the bosses are a pain in the ass to beat if you are not putting points into battle-specific augmentations? .......How lame :\
it does make the fights less frustrating. That terrible second boss fight made me put points into toughness,
joke's on me, third boss drops like a sack of potatoes when hit with the grenade launcher

AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, so FUCK this boss battle. Seriously, who designed this SHIT?

The boss battles in this game are so hilarious, because they are either absurdly, laughably easy or throw-your-controller-at-the-wall hard depending on how you play them with no in between.

Thagomizer said:
The boss battles in this game are so hilarious, because they are either absurdly, laughably easy or throw-your-controller-at-the-wall hard depending on how you play them with no in between.

Well, I just spent three praxis points on something completely different, so I'm SOL when it comes to visual or dermal upgrades. So I'm stuck doing this shooter-style, and this isn't a very good shooter. This is like a homage to every really shitty boss battle ever. FUCK IT.

How much damage does this one take anyway?

If you mean the first guy, I just sprinted around the room and picked up all the nearby grenades, then lobbed them at him from cover. Each blast will stagger him and allow you to shoot him in the head a few times, and if you run out of grenades you can throw some explodey barrels.

Or just use the stun-gun on him until he dies if you have one.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just finished the dlc. Well that's a second character in the series that I find interesting, so that makes Quinn and Tong. I'm hoping they do better characters in the sequel. Also, I couldn't stop laughing at
the boss
sounding like dubya.

AltogetherAndrews said:
No, it's the second one. Fuck this boss.
Honestly, I found that one the easiest. Just shock her then shotgun

Top Bottom