• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

ctrayne

Just wanted to say I've come back to this again after playing a few other games and just getting the itch for more DXHR. I really love this game, even more than DX1.

RotBot

Is there ever anything behind the refrigerators in apartments? I compulsively move the fridge in every apartment I break into, but I never find anything.

MaddenNFL64

ctrayne said:
Just wanted to say I've come back to this again after playing a few other games and just getting the itch for more DXHR. I really love this game, even more than DX1.
I just finished playing DX1 again yesterday, and I disagree completely, but ya. Such is life, right? HR is a good game though, no doubt about it.

RotBot said:
Is there ever anything behind the refrigerators in apartments? I compulsively move the fridge in every apartment I break into, but I never find anything.
You know the apartment with the gate in detroit? 1st floor apartment there, behind the fridge is a hypostim. About it.

IoCaster

onken said:
OK I did some checking up and it appears to be a bug regarding existing playthroughs. The proposed solution is to delete your old saves or play on a new profile to fix it. Will back up mine and give that a go tomorrow.

I had the same problem with the PC version and didn't realize it at first because I stealth killed everyone on the map and figured I screwed something up. I deleted my saves and did it again on a fresh playthrough. The Ghost and Smooth Operator bits worked on the second run. That's one of my favorite levels in the game because it can be very challenging to kill everyone without being detected.

Joba62x

Neo Member
I found 1 cyber-bar in a downtown Detroit apartment very early, after that I moved every fridge I saw but never found anything.

I finished this over the weekend and had such a great time.

Arklite

Q8D3vil said:
just finished it.
stealth game of the generation.
missing link worth it ?
Missing Link is definitely worth playing, particularly if you liked the stealth aspect of HR.
It doesn't have any 'hubs' since you're on a ship/base but it's a lengthy add-on that expands on the story.

omgkitty

So how hard is this game to beat if I try going for Pacifist, Legend and Foxiest of the Hounds all in one go? I have already beat the game and I will probably try to pick up a few achievements I stupidly missed (All Endings,
Saving Malik, Killing Diamond Chan
). I guess I need to make sure that I can save, kill some people for the achievement and then load back up? I just don't really want to have to play this game a third time seeing as all the achievements are pretty straight forward. Any tips? Maybe play through hard going gun ho and then playing through on easy for the pacifist and legend achievements?

ctrayne

Arklite said:
Missing Link is definitely worth playing, particularly if you liked the stealth aspect of HR.
Agreed, it even had an achievement (big deal, I know) for playing with no guns or augs, which lends itself to stealth gameplay. The boss can also be defeated with stealth unlike the main game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ctrayne said:
Agreed, it even had an achievement (big deal, I know) for playing with no guns or augs, which lends itself to stealth gameplay. The boss can also be defeated with stealth unlike the main game.
That is awesome to hear. I haven't played Missing Link yet, but my roommate just finished it, and he loved it. I'll have to check it out when there aren't a billion other games to play.

Anybody at all interested in the whole augmentation thing should really watch these TED talks (particularly the first one):

http://www.ted.com/talks/todd_kuiken_a_prosthetic_arm_that_feels.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/dean_kamen_previews_a_new_prosthetic_arm.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/dean_kamen_the_emotion_behind_invention.html

Really amazing stuff. The whole reinervation therapy thing is fascinating, and I would wager that is where the majority of prosthetic limb development will be going in the future. Dean Kamen is a really inspiring speaker as well, so definitely watch his talks as well.

onken

Well the bullshit train just doesn't stop in this game. When I take the lift up to Zhao's penthouse, halfway through the conversation with Van Bruggen I get an alarm go off. I didn't take out anybody so there's no way a body has been discovered. I still the SO/G bonuses but this is the kind of thing that might fuck me over at the end. Grrr, this game is really fucking with my OCD.

onken said:
Well the bullshit train just doesn't stop in this game. When I take the lift up to Zhao's penthouse, halfway through the conversation with Van Bruggen I get an alarm go off. I didn't take out anybody so there's no way a body has been discovered. I still the SO/G bonuses but this is the kind of thing that might fuck me over at the end. Grrr, this game is really fucking with my OCD.

Personally, I just played the game the first time without worrying about achievements. This allowed me to really "role play" the character of Adam without worrying too much about achievements. For example, I see him as the kind of person who avoids killing at all costs but will do it when necessary. So I played through most of the game, and killed very few people.

That was the most fun for me, in terms of immersion. Later playthroughs may be good opportunities to go for the achievements for me.

IoCaster

onken said:

So take out all of the guards to make sure there's no one left to set off an alarm.

Just finished my first run through on normal (no kills) and then a speed run on easy (no kills). Absolutely loved the game. It's different from the original in a lot of ways, but it still feels like it. I really hope we get another some day. :)

Speed run took about 6 hours. I made a lot of mistakes though and I reckon a speed run without worrying about stealth / alerts / kills could easily be done in under four hours.

Normal run took more like 35... but I'm a big time completionist so had to hack everything and go everywhere. \o/

Edit - Oh, and the game badly needs a stats page both for current run and overall.

onken

Well got both Foxiest and Pacifist, guess it didn't matter after all. Glad I got it first time because there's no way in hell I'd be doing that again :) Great game, awesome gameplay and really captures the DX feel, even if the story was a bit barebones.

SenseiJinx said:
Personally, I just played the game the first time without worrying about achievements. This allowed me to really "role play" the character of Adam without worrying too much about achievements. For example, I see him as the kind of person who avoids killing at all costs but will do it when necessary. So I played through most of the game, and killed very few people.

That was the most fun for me, in terms of immersion. Later playthroughs may be good opportunities to go for the achievements for me.

Oh yeah it was my 3rd playthrough. 1st time on hard, I just played it how I wanted, mostly stealth and non-lethal. 2nd time on medium, just blasting every body and picking up the trophies I missed. This last run just for pacifist and foxiest.

Q8D3vil

Arklite said:
It doesn't have any 'hubs' since you're on a ship/base but it's a lengthy add-on that expands on the story.
i'm going to wait for steam deals.
thanks

snoopeasystreet said:
Can't get the framerate to remain steady on the PC. It just goes to shit every so often regardless of what resolution I'm playing at.
Happened to me too. In the end I just decided to ignore it.

Would be rock solid at 60 and then dump down to 20 odd for no particular reason.

Psychotext said:
Happened to me too. In the end I just decided to ignore it.

Would be rock solid at 60 and then dump down to 20 odd for no particular reason.
I don't think I can ignore it, especially when I'm in running around Detroit. I'd rather have it locked at 30 than the way it is now.

Nessus

SenseiJinx said:

Very much agreed.

I started out non-lethal, with few exceptions like
those assholes who murder everyone at the pod apartment. I made sure to slaughter each and every one of them. Also I was really angry/frustrated that I wasn't able to save Malik (wrong weapons, bad save point), so after that I killed every Belltower contractor at the scene, and was a lot less forgiving of the gang who were scavenging her body for parts.

I was really impressed that the game was able to evoke more subtle emotions like that. My play style shifted dramatically because of plot elements that I experienced while playing.

kaioshade

Just finished the game

Unfortunately i have never played the first Deus Ex nor Invisible war (passed through my radar at the time), so i am taking the game on its own. And as far as that goes, the game is absolutely brilliant. There were some questionable things in the game, second boss glitches out for me and literally disappeared from the room, forcing a restart, and the AI was incredibly stupid at times, but overall, I enjoyed just about every moment i had with the game.

Bosses were not too bad for me (first one smacked me around a few times), this was using a mixture of stealth and action. Next play through ill see how it goes when i distribute my augmentations differently.

Now is it worth going through Missing Link?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Still playing this alongside Sonic, almost done with Hengshua(which I haven't enjoyed as much as Detroit).

Definitely up there as one of my favorite experiences this year so far. Going for the Pacifist/No alarms/Hard run on my first attempt. So far so good(maybe? I hear there has been a lot of issues with the Foxiest Hounds achievement)

Only part I am worried about so far with Foxiest achievement is the 'O'malley' sidequest in Detroit. Knocking out Double-T, everyone was hostile in his apartment when I stormed the place. No alarms went off, but with everyone hostile while I tranqed them, I worry it broke that achievement. Otherwise I have been super careful the rest of the game to never be seen or heard.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that sounds really good when playing reversed. They should add that in with the sequel
with Jensen's adventure continuing

Scapegoat

Brandon F said:
Still playing this alongside Sonic, almost done with Hengshua(which I haven't enjoyed as much as Detroit).

Definitely up there as one of my favorite experiences this year so far. Going for the Pacifist/No alarms/Hard run on my first attempt. So far so good(maybe? I hear there has been a lot of issues with the Foxiest Hounds achievement)

Only part I am worried about so far with Foxiest achievement is the 'O'malley' sidequest in Detroit. Knocking out Double-T, everyone was hostile in his apartment when I stormed the place. No alarms went off, but with everyone hostile while I tranqed them, I worry it broke that achievement. Otherwise I have been super careful the rest of the game to never be seen or heard.
As long as none of them died you should be sweet.

Alarms are only like system alarms in buildings (cameras, turrets, alarm panels).

kyubajin

A bit late but today I got the PS3 version for 15€ brand new. This will be the 1st game other than Dark Souls I've played in about a month.

I may have gone too far...

IXPjV.jpg

F5JCB.jpg

05Ecv.jpg

U53mz.jpg

Psychotext said:
I may have gone too far...

LOL! Awesome.

I like how the fact that the game gives you both the option to not kill anybody (for the most part) or to kill nearly everybody (for the most part). Of course, though, that can lead to some interesting circumstances like what you posted. I always thought it strange that if, say, you sneak into the police station everyone's first reaction is to shoot you (not arrest you or anything). And if you kill every single police officer in Detroit, there's no real repercussions.

I think that's probably something the first game did better... but I imagine most people these days wouldn't have the patience for being attacked by an entire faction once they'd pissed them off. :)

Would be nice to see a hardcore mode though.

Yagharek

So I'm coming to this a little late - how does the PS3 version fare? And is the bonus stuff that was in the augmented edition worthwhile (Tong's Rescue).

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Bit late to the party, but what a fantastic game.

While I haven't played many of the big games that are going to or have come out this season, DE:HR is easily one of my favourite of the year so far. After returning to my friend (who was nice enough to let me borrow it even though he hadn't finished it) I find myself wanting to play more, it was a nice refreshing change to what I am use to playing, especially next to the real lack of games these days that let you really approach something in a stealthy manner.

The only disappointment I found with the game was the ending, and that we had to wait this far into the generation for it to appear which leaves me wondering how long it is going to be till they possibly do another, and I really hope they do.

Has anyone read the novel that came out, I was wondering if it was worth a read?

Psychotext said:
Man, the crossbow is so good. Really satisfying.

I'll have to try the crossbow next time around...my first play was mostly non-lethal, so I never even got to try the crossbow, plasma rifle, minigun, etc.

Big-E

Finally started this game after months of not having the time. Loving it so far and holy shit did I die laughing when I saw the three sea shells. Great allusion.

besiktas1

Quick question :)

I have 4 batteries of power but once I use them up I only recharge the first one. Is there any way to recharge them all without eating the consumables?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
besiktas1 said:

I have 4 batteries of power but once I use them up I only recharge the first one. Is there any way to recharge them all without eating the consumables?
No which I think is poor gameplay design.

UFRA

besiktas1 said:

If I'm not mistaken, no there isn't.

Only a partially used battery will recharge. So if you have 4 full batteries and use the first one half-way, it will also recharge just like the very last one does.

I tended to try not to use a whole battery so I could maintain all of them at full power usually lol.

Top Bottom