• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Korigama

besiktas1 said:
Quick question :)

I have 4 batteries of power but once I use them up I only recharge the first one. Is there any way to recharge them all without eating the consumables?
The other cells will only recharge on their own if not drained completely (as in from using abilities such as cloaking or heavy lifting, yet not using up an entire section of the battery in the process like a takedown would). Otherwise, only the first one charges on its own, and you would need the consumables to bring it back to full.
kayos90 said:
No which I think is poor gameplay design.
It seems questionable initially, but I'd say the game would be less balanced if the player could use up as much energy as they want, such as through spamming takedowns consecutively, and have all of it restore on its own (but then, abusing candy bars pretty much achieves the same effect).

guest1321

Just finished my first round through. I was fairly certain that I never set off an alarm but apparently so (I didn't get foxiest). I'll probably hold off on playing it through for a while but damn is this game awesome. It holds the position of GOTY for me right now.

besiktas1

Hmmm strange, because I swear sometimes it would charge all the way. Guess I imagined it. Also frowny face. I pointlessly used up my level up points on recharge because I thought that'd do it.

And p.s. awesome game so far LOVING it. Just dying a lot (on easy too).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Korigama said:
The other cells will only recharge on their own if not drained completely (as in from using abilities such as cloaking or heavy lifting, yet not using up an entire section of the battery in the process like a takedown would). Otherwise, only the first one charges on its own, and you would need the consumables to bring it back to full.

It seems questionable initially, but I'd say the game would be less balanced if the player could use up as much energy as they want, such as through spamming takedowns consecutively, and have all of it restore on its own (but then, abusing candy bars pretty much achieves the same effect).
I'm saying it's poor design because it defeats the purpose of increasing maximum battery cells. If the maximum recharge cell is always going to be 1 then there is no point in having he battery cell increase aug. Now, if the recharge was half of whatever was your maximum, that's a different story.

snoopeasystreet said:
I don't think I can ignore it, especially when I'm in running around Detroit. I'd rather have it locked at 30 than the way it is now.

Just thought I'd chime in about this. Wanna lock your PC framerate?

google DXTory

cheers

Hmm beat it finally after taking a break from it, but my final save says it took me about 13 hours. Got most of the augs unlocked and did most of the side quests it seems from looking online at the list of them. I thought the game was much longer, but perhaps the people getting really high play times are doing pure stealth runs? I did a mix of stealth and just gunning and it seemed to go by fairly quick. Did a decent amount of exploration.

Interested in doing the Missing Link but afraid I'll breeze through it with people making claims on how long it is.

BattleMonkey said:
Hmm beat it finally after taking a break from it, but my final save says it took me about 13 hours. Got most of the augs unlocked and did most of the side quests it seems from looking online at the list of them. I thought the game was much longer, but perhaps the people getting really high play times are doing pure stealth runs? I did a mix of stealth and just gunning and it seemed to go by fairly quick. Did a decent amount of exploration.

Interested in doing the Missing Link but afraid I'll breeze through it with people making claims on how long it is.
Main game took me 40hrs and I missed one sidequest, played very stealthily.
Missing Link took me about 5/6hrs with the same playstyle, think it's a tad over-priced.

Full stealth / no kill runs take easily the longest, especially if you're OCD about hacking everything / searching everywhere.

I think mine took me about 40 hours. My fastest run took me 6 hours.

Davidion

Psychotext said:
Full stealth / no kill runs take easily the longest, especially if you're OCD about hacking everything / searching everywhere.

I think mine took me about 40 hours. My fastest run took me 6 hours.

The best way to play

then get confused when you get no achievements and remember that you killed the first couple of grunts in the prologue.

Did a no-kill, mostly stealth run first time around, and gameplay-wise it reminds me of Deus Ex crossed with a Metal Gear game. It's still a little simplified from the first DX in some ways, but it gets the spirit of the franchise far better than Invisible War did.

Would have liked more input from malevolent A.I. (see user name) but we can't have everything all the time, can we.

Sequel plz.

guest1321

BattleMonkey said:

Where abouts are you seeing a total time played? IIRC the time next to the save is the time you saved it at in a 24hr format

RedSwirl

How's that ENB mod? From the videoes I'm seeing it makes things look a lot more clear, particularly the colors, but what does it do to performance? I'm running an HD6850 here.

Labadal said:
Stun Gun.
I tried that against him but I wasn't sure if I was able to beat him like that or just temporarily stunning him so I ended up throwing barrels and gas cannisters at him. I presume there's no way to not kill him so I'm not missing out on the XP bonus for doing that, right?

electroshockwave said:
I tried that against him but I wasn't sure if I was able to beat him like that or just temporarily stunning him so I ended up throwing barrels and gas cannisters at him. I presume there's no way to not kill him so I'm not missing out on the XP bonus for doing that, right?

Right, you have to kill the bosses. (Which is lame, IMO, where the rest of the game was so expertly crafted around the fact that you don't have to kill ANYONE.)

Thinking of replaying the game now...I didn't do a replay very quickly after playing, since I get a little burnt out with long RPG's like this game. Partly because I love talking to everybody and exploring everywhere, and I just don't feel like doing that right after I've done it once. But it's been long enough now that it would start to be fresh again.

Now how to play the game...not sure if I want to go 100% stealthy and non-lethal again, or to experiment more. That's the thing, this game makes me NOT want to kill anybody because it gives you the option to, and it just feels cool to stay in that character of a non-lethal person to me. A breath of fresh air from most games.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I did a replay immediately after completing my first (super-stealth, no killing) playthrough. Second time around?

THEY ALL DIED.

kyubajin

Just started the game and I'm loving it. Like many of you I'm taking the stealthy path and love how a single mistake or alerted guard kills me or forces me to go back to a previous save and rethink my COA. I'm still familiarising myself with the system.

Forkball

You have to use lethal methods to win boss fights. For Barret, what you can do is throw flash grenades at him until he gets stunned, and then headshot him with the pistol. Rinse and repeat. Also after you run out of grenades, run up and Typhoon him. Typhoon is worth upgrading to max just to get past the awful boss fights. Ironically it is actually useless in the DLC.

kyubajin

Damn, I've been using non-lethal methods for most of the game however killed a couple gangsters before knowing about the trophy :/ Dunno if I want to restart.

-Winnie-

Damn, I've been using non-lethal methods for most of the game however killed a couple gangsters before knowing about the trophy :/ Dunno if I want to restart.

Just keep playing. It means you'll get to use all the cool lethal weapons in this playthrough. :)
I was a real sucker for dat fully upgraded silenced pistol.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Just finished The Missing Link and didn't get the Factory Zero achievement just like in the original game when I didn't get the Pacifist achievement although I did everything as supposed >8(

I loved the game but this expansion feels like a ripoff, not worth the 15 bucks IMO.

C.T.

You have to use lethal methods to win boss fights. For Barret, what you can do is throw flash grenades at him until he gets stunned, and then headshot him with the pistol. Rinse and repeat. Also after you run out of grenades, run up and Typhoon him. Typhoon is worth upgrading to max just to get past the awful boss fights. Ironically it is actually useless in the DLC.

Or use the gas and flamable barrels and throw them at him. You need to run and change cover. If his still alive shoot him and he's dead meat.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Do you guys have any idea what kind of performance I could expect from:
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.0 GHz
3GBs of RAM
Nvidia GTX 460
Windows 7

Do you guys have any idea what kind of performance I could expect from:
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.0 GHz
3GBs of RAM
Nvidia GTX 460
Windows 7

Should run pretty well. I've got a better processor, but the same video card, and things run great. The game isn't extremely taxing, but actually has a few performance hitches on even the best machines just due to the engine being a bit clunky at times. They've patched that for the most part, though, so you should get good performance.

MNC

I need to format my PC and I would like to backup my steam save game files. anyone know where they are located?

They're saved online on your steam account. Unless you have a second PC, where you can temporarily install the game and test it out, there's no way to be sure but it's part of Steam Cloud.

MNC

Oh my God I finished this game.

Now to wait for a Missing Link sale.

All in all, I enjoyed the game loads and I genuinely liked the over serious tone. It made it all the more 'epic'. The story wasn't overly convoluted looking back, though I did have a bit of a trouble keeping all the ties and companies apart of eachother.
Really liked how the last boss fight actually had something for either combat Jensens and stealth/hacking Jensens. The only boss fight that actually works properly.

I didn't help Taggart because I thought he would be somewhere at the end, so I can only do 3 endings :/ Generally the endings were decent and with nice dialogue. I loved the Darrow social battle alot, and I didn't activate pheromones just so I could do it on my own and I won! And in the end I didn't get to use his codes :| I went combat on the last boss.

Just finished the game on OnLive (Easily the best 50 cents I ever spent on a game lol). Really loved the whole experience. I generally don't give a shit for stealth, but this game's stealth felt so active and dynamic that I genuinely enjoyed it through and through. Loved the atmosphere and the story. Very impressed top to bottom.

Gonna work on Batman and Zelda for the next couple weeks, and definitely tackle missing link hopefully before the year is out.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Just finished The Missing Link and didn't get the Factory Zero achievement just like in the original game when I didn't get the Pacifist achievement although I did everything as supposed >8(
Likewise. Inexplicably didn't get the Factory Zero trophy, just as I didn't get the Foxiest one in my no-kills/stealth run in the main game. It'd be less annoying if I hadn't been trying and been convinced that I'd done it.

I loved the game but this expansion feels like a ripoff, not worth the 15 bucks IMO.
I thought it was a pretty solid amount of content and offered some fun stuff. I was quite satisfied. More games should do DLC like this.

C.T.

Anybody at all interested in the whole augmentation thing should really watch these TED talks (particularly the first one):

http://www.ted.com/talks/todd_kuiken_a_prosthetic_arm_that_feels.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/dean_kamen_previews_a_new_prosthetic_arm.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/dean_kamen_the_emotion_behind_invention.html

Really amazing stuff. The whole reinervation therapy thing is fascinating, and I would wager that is where the majority of prosthetic limb development will be going in the future. Dean Kamen is a really inspiring speaker as well, so definitely watch his talks as well.

saw this post "Simple answer: We are already trying to prevent injuries and diseases. Working accidents will happen, no matter how much you'll try to prevent it. And an extra bonus is that we are getting closer to "The singularity."(Human Augmentation)
http://www.kurzweilai.net/public-speaking-general-info/

This is for me the true meaning of life today(there actually isn't one, meaning is just an illusjoin made of human perception). Because ones we're there, we're in heaven;) We can program ourself to be happy and live forever. Isn't that what heaven is ?"

could be something straight out of Deus Ex. *scared*

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Thoughts on the DLC since it's on sale on steam? I loved DEHR but I'm not in a rush to return to the last sequence on the oil rig without augs. The setting doesn't seem very interesting.

Thoughts on the DLC since it's on sale on steam? I loved DEHR but I'm not in a rush to return to the last sequence on the oil rig without augs. The setting doesn't seem very interesting.
Don't you get a sort of "starter pack" of praxis kits? From what I've read the DLC is supposed to be pretty good.

Plasma

Banned
Asked this in the Steam sale thread but it is moving pretty fast over there, wondering if anyone here could answer.

Just caved in and picked up the Missing Link DLC and noticed that it is a separate game on my steam list.

Does this mean that when you play through the game it won't let you play it after
Hengsha
?

AEREC

Tempted to get the Missing Link on steam for $7.50...but I just want to know if the game still has ads in the loading screens?

Top Bottom