• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided I Review Thread I I asked for this

KingBroly

Banned
oh3onc7.0.0hlkcp.png

Surprised at 2007 being so low as it's considered one of gaming's best years.

User reviews are going WAY down though. I wonder why.

CHC

Basically sounds like it's just Human Revolution again, not worse, but few improvements either. Kind of a Rise of the Tomb Raider situation.

I'll definitely get it come Tuesday, but it is a bit disappointing that they didn't play to the strengths of HR as much (more city hubs) or improve some of the weaker areas (story, characters, ending).

Still though, I loved Human Revolution I just think it's aged terribly, so it's not totally a shock to see this reviewing slightly less favorably despite it being more of the same.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The news of a disappointing story is making me a little hesitant to be honest, but I'm such a sucker for anything Cyberpunk that I'll probably pick it up anyway.

ironcreed

Banned
This image is garbage! Videogame reviews have always been arguably weighted towards the seven plus range in terms of scores. If you think this is a new trend that started in the late 00's then I don't think you were old enough to be critically aware of videogame reviews in the late nineties or early-mid 00's.

Well, I am about to turn 40 in November. Does that count? By the way, that image is representative of how gamers see the review scale vs the way they used to. Not how reviewers review games. Which I assumed everyone knew by now, considering how long that image has been floating around.

Herla

As long as I get more references to the original Deus Ex I don't care about the story.
The highlight in HR for me was finding an e-mail hinting about the Dentons, more fanservice like that and I'll be satisfied.

I think peoples reaction took MD devs by surprise. What I read about it looked like people making huge stink about this thing without knowing how game actually deals with it, if at all. Funnily enough Jim Sterling gave MD devs shit for handling such issues while praised Mafia 3 for having racism in it, while he had no idea how either of games tackle those things.

The 'augmented lives matter' is a bit too much on the nose and feels forced but I am surprised about the outrage over 'mechanical apartheid'. It's a heavy term which fits if you want to tackle equally heavy themes. I like it.

So the major negative point seems to be the story. As someone who skips most cutscenes in videogames, I am ok with this. Pre order stays. :)

Nzyme32

wow so the story is bad it runs like crap on pc and it looks like a ps3 game?

only 82 on metacritic and I see that is merely one point ahead of MADDEN?

illuminati confirmed

Double confirmed; the OpenCritic scores for some reviews don't match the actual scores reviewers gave - UsGamer gave a 4/5, Opencritic lists 4/5 and converts to 90/100

The final OpenCritic score should be lower, but the illuminati wants to control human thought and consensus!!

Seiniyta

I think user reviewers going down is because they started metabombing the user reviews more and more with controversial releases. I think it really started with Modern Warfare 2.

Thanks for posting this Nirolak!

I had been seeing that graph posted numerous times lately and always felt it was really dumb! It always felt like something someone who was too young to be critically aware of reviews in the late nineties and early-mid '00 had cooked up. Nice to see someone has actually looked at the data to prove it wrong. I can remember debates over review scores and ad-revenue from way back when.

Ozium

I don't always trust IGN reviews but when they review a game I'm looking forward to highly then I always trust IGN reviews

Interesting comparison of the story being more akin to a TV episode than a movie that escalates to some kind of thrilling conclusion. I think perhaps for me, going in with that knowledge and low expectation may end up with me enjoying it more than I expect

I kind of like this aspect honestly because I usually care more about side stories than the main plots and if they can make those interesting then that's nice. I rather prefer a lot of smaller vignette type things

The director doesn't seem to understand the concept of feedback and criticism, at least in terms of the more well-reasoned criticisms in terms of the game's narrative.

But I don't want to derail, just wanted to answer your question.
"art"
I think peoples reaction took MD devs by surprise. What I read about it looked like people making huge stink about this thing without knowing how game actually deals with it, if at all. Funnily enough Jim Sterling gave MD devs shit for handling such issues while praised Mafia 3 for having racism in it, while he had no idea how either of games tackle those things.
they couldn't be more different in their pre release implementation. they're literally continents apart

FelipeMGM

Double confirmed; the OpenCritic scores for some reviews don't match the actual scores reviewers gave - UsGamer gave a 4/5, Opencritic lists 4/5 and converts to 90/100

The final OpenCritic score should be lower, but the illuminati wants to control human thought and consensus!!

Opencritic has been a bit buggy for the past few weeks (at least for me)

But they are still the best in the biz

Catvoca

Banned
it's more of Human Revolution

so all depends on whether you liked that game or not

I loved it so I'm pretty happy with those reviews.

Yeah, It's definitely looking like more "Human Revolution" but as someone who thought that game was just ok, I think I'll pass on it for now.

Mattenth

What's funny is, we take HTML snapshots of every review at the moment we post them.

Here's usGamer's 4.5 / 5 stars: http://imgur.com/a/B0PIL

We've updated it to the 4/5 they now have posted.

jett

D-Member
Not sure where to post this but damn... The PC version seems to be very resource intensive. So does that mean the recommended requirements are for medium / high settings then?

Hopefully the performance will be fine on my PC but I'm preparing for the worst haha.

Well I think I'm gonna pass on this game. It doesn't even look good enough to warrant that performance.

anyways these reviews are pretty disappointing to me personally. i'm so up for some more Deus Ex, since the first is my GOAT and Human Revolution is a top 5 of last gen. But a stagnating sequel is something that won't last long with me after I beat it. also the biggest disappointment here is
only one hub city...fuck outta here

Well there is an excellent chance you will like MD significantly better than these reviews. HR may have been a top 5 game for you but it was "only" the 70th top rated game of last gen (just going by X360 rankings).

My gut feeling is that the 2007-2010 depression on the graph is the result of the glut of Wii shovelware released in that time.

Pixieking

Banned
Interesting comparison of the story being more akin to a TV episode than a movie that escalates to some kind of thrilling conclusion. I think perhaps for me, going in with that knowledge and low expectation may end up with me enjoying it more than I expect

Considering there's a season pass, I'm wondering if they're planning on extending the game with DLCs. If the ending is rushed as a few reviews are saying, they may just need more time to flesh it out?

jett

D-Member
Thanks for posting this Nirolak!

I had been seeing that graph posted numerous times lately and always felt it was really dumb! It always felt like something someone who was too young to be critically aware of reviews in the late nineties and early-mid '00 had cooked up. Nice to see someone has actually looked at the data to prove it wrong. I can remember debates over review scores and ad-revenue from way back when.

So the average is 70s~ instead of 80. Man, that other graph sure was HUGELY mistaken.

mjp2417

Banned

I would assume that dip probably has something to do with all of the shovelware being released on the Wii around that time.

sirap

He did not

This is hype culture at its finest to skip out the context of the tweet and establish this as the narrative. Minutes after that post, hes said he was still waiting on a review copy. All he did was comment on someone saying Doom must be game of the year at this point.

okay

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The vast majority of the reviews are 85+, how is that not very encouraging?
?

The reviews have been good
Am I the only one here who actually reading the reviews and not just looking at the fucking numbers?

it's more of Human Revolution

so all depends on whether you liked that game or not

I loved it so I'm pretty happy with those reviews.
I do like HR a lot, but after reading some of the reviews... it's not like the devs learned anything from HR or at least fixed all of it's problems some of which for some reason is still present in MK after they fixed them in Director's Cut. WTF?

dr_rus

Edios have been pretty open about how they want this to be a serise ala Mass Effect.

I wonder if maybe they leave a few too many sequel doors open. All the previous DX games have been pretty much singular stories that are connected where this might only been the opening of a much bigger planned story

That approach would make sense for an episodic title or for some story DLC down the line but not for a game series which is taking ~5 years between entries. So yeah, this may be what went wrong here.

Perhaps there's simply a more diverse set of users who are submitting reviews to these sites in recent years.

It's possible that in the past, the people who were most likely to do it were already really passionate about the game. Now, the awareness of these sites - and the ease of leaving the review - open the door to a much broader range of user reviewers.

Maffis

I dont mind the story being on the weak side. HR was the same. As long as the atmosphere is there Im ok. They will probably flesh it out with dlc. Im more afraid of the performance. Doom was such a breath of fresh air with its awesome performance. Please run well on my 970. Atleast I have gsync.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Deus Ex Human Revolution had a very underwhelming ending and the game never really went anywhere with its themes. Nor did we actually get any well-depicted characters and the antagonists were hollow and barebones. From a narrative perspective, Human Revolution wasn't particularly imrpessive.

Deus Ex 1 was just silly Alex Jones material.

And with Mankind Divided you seemingly have "Segregated Water Fountains" and "Augs Lives Matter" ("but the game has nothing to do with race!!!" according to the developers) and the ending is supposedly abrupt and anti-climactic.

I don't think Eidos Montreal are capable of crafting a solid narrative with excellent characters and seeing how they handle constructive feedback and criticism like children, I'm not sure how they'll ever improve.

giphy.gif

Seriously, Clark?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Am I the only one here who actually reading the reviews and not just looking at the fucking numbers?

I do like HR a lot, but after reading some of the reviews... it's not like the devs learned anything from HR or at least fixed all of it's problems some of which for some reason is still present in MK after they fixed them in Director's Cut. WTF?
Clearly fucking not. It's like HR and the reviewers found the story disappointing

In a nutshell - liked HR? You'll like this

Nzyme32

Opencritic has been a bit buggy for the past few weeks (at least for me)

But they are still the best in the biz

It's good for locating and reading reviews, but personally I'm not much of a fan of taking an aggregate score that is an amalgamation of different scoring systems on different scales, with different definitions. Easier to understand those systems individually per reviewers you trust.

idk i don't think the scores really match the reviews. the scores seem way inflated. bar that one 10/10 review that basically says this game is the second coming of jesus.

From what I can gather, good gameplay, interesting setting however poor story. Sounds like Human Revolution which I loved. Easy day one purchase.

Top Bottom