• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided I Review Thread I I asked for this

4jjiyoon

yikes what's up with the pc ultra setting. they were using a 6700k and a 980ti.

mJH21p9.jpg

Dalibor68

Banned
Considering there's a season pass, I'm wondering if they're planning on extending the game with DLCs. If the ending is rushed as a few reviews are saying, they may just need more time to flesh it out?

One or two Witcher 3 tier expansions down the line would be awesome. Basically anything that isn't a shitty horde mode/time trial addon and/or mid-game DLC (because I hate nothing more than playing a middle part of a game again months later like with The Missing Link, eventhough it was a wellmade DLC or the PoE Addon).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm very sold.

While reviews don't suggest that it's an outta the park home run, they tell me what I wanted to know:

Is it at least as good as HR?

Yes, it is.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
One or two Witcher 3 tier expansions down the line would be awesome. Basically anything that isn't a shitty horde mode/time trial addon and/or mid-game DLC (because I hate nothing more than playing a middle part of a game again months later like with The Missing Link, eventhough it was a wellmade DLC or the PoE Addon).

The Missing Link was actually a pretty good DLC if you ask me.

Although, it felt very out of place when it was merged into the Directors Cut.

The fact that you were forced to lose all your augs made it more tedious than it needed to be.

Ashtar

Honestly thought this would be closer to high 8 low 9s range with a few 10s thrown in still playing on day one just waiting for that preload

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm finding that High looks practically identical to Ultra, yet offers nearly twice the framerate.

Thats usually how it is when comparing the highest (Ultra) settings to the "high" settings.

In my experience anyway.

I like high rez textures as much as the next person, but I find it more than accepttable to drop them a notch to get better framerates when needed.

It's not just you. If you look at the settings comparison you can pretty much assume that most of performance is lost because of going from 2x to 4x MSAA between these modes.

Going from 2x to 4x MSAA isn't going to cause a 30-40 fps difference though. I'm assuming it's one of the Shadows settings. Maybe "Contact Hardening Shadows" or "Shadow Quality".

backstep

Neo Member
Is anyone else disappointed about the "piss filter" look of the previous game being dropped?

I know it had a lot of haters but it gave the game a unique visual style, like everywhere was lit with cheap incandescent lights. MD looks a lot more generic to me in terms of the visuals, where HR had it's own character. I can't be alone in that surely? I mean, there must be... dozens of us?

Speaking of character, since reviewers are commenting here, does MD retain some of the goofiness of HR with the voice work?

Is there an NPC like Pritchard who is a blatant prick all the time and spits your name at you (pritchard's "Jensen!" delivery was awesome)?

I know they dropped the voice actor for Sarif but he still appears, does he still come across like a two-bit hustler?

Is there anything like the Hengsha NPCs giving you banter and calling you a filthy gwai lo everytime you say hello them?

Any idiot break dancer type things? I even kinda liked the infamous homeless lady in Detroit, but I suspect they learned their lesson on that. Really i'm just hoping this one still has it's OTT moments and isn't self-serious 100% of the time.

spiderferi

I have read some reviews and I am totally disappointed, not because the game is bad or sth, because I was expecting way more.
Human Revolution was pretty good for 2011, since then many prolific games have come and gone and the industry has changed, especially the narratives and depths of stories.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thanks for posting this Nirolak!

I had been seeing that graph posted numerous times lately and always felt it was really dumb! It always felt like something someone who was too young to be critically aware of reviews in the late nineties and early-mid '00 had cooked up. Nice to see someone has actually looked at the data to prove it wrong. I can remember debates over review scores and ad-revenue from way back when.

It's dumb for a whole other reason too -- those two scales are the same. Logarithmic and power transformations are monotonic. Whether the space from 9 to 10 is bigger or smaller than the space from 7 to 8 is irrelevant. They still express information the same way. Go to the California DMV and you get a 50 question test where you fail if you get more than 4 wrong. This does not mean that you yell at the DMV worker that "Uh, excuse me, 45/50 is a 90%, fuck you for failing me", it means you engage brain cells and understand that the scale can be different depending on context. Even in the world where it is just absolute imperative to transform the scale from the current scale to one where games are uniformly distributed between a 1 and a 10 (this is a quantile transformation, basically), it's still monotonic--games that review better than other games would still review better than other games. So from a comparative perspective this would change absolutely nothing. The question is whether or not you can understand what the scale is trying to convey. Which you can do by, shock of shocks, reading the reviews... or the summaries... or comparing review averages between games... or engaging your brain for even a second.

But it's also dumb for a whole other other reason. People aren't randomly buying games. Hundreds, maybe thousands even excluding iOS, of games come out every year. Most people, even on GAF, buy a dozen or so at most. You're not randomly selecting from all those games. You wouldn't expect your collection to have some 1/10s, 2/10s, 3/10s, 4/10s, 5/10s, etc. The "average" game should be semantically interpreted as "not worth playing". Granted that there might be some subject matter or dev loyalty or whatever it is that puts it over the top for you, but most of your games should be tilted far towards the right. And the same selection bias applies to reviewers. Even if the average game produced was a 5, the average game reviewed would not be a 5, because reviewers don't randomly pick games off the shelf to review, they can only review so many and they prioritize games that are high profile or interesting. So if the average reviewed game was a 5, then the average game produced with be below a 5, thus causing the opposite worry of the one that the chart advances--with games being bunched up over the bottom half of the scale and sparse over the top end.

People complaining about review scales are basically people wearing Hot Topic "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same" t-shirts. They certainly aren't people who have completed high school math.

Aces&Eights

Lol, I have Intergalactic by The Beastie Boys cranked up in my Sennheisers and scrolled to this gif after seeing mostly great reviews. Awesome.

Sounds like another great romp in the DE universe. Hurry up, Tuesday.

Fake Edit: Jeff Gerstmann actually likes a game?!?

bathsalts

Is anyone else disappointed about the "piss filter" look of the previous game being dropped?

I know it had a lot of haters but it gave the game a unique visual style, like everywhere was lit with cheap incandescent lights. MD looks a lot more generic to me in terms of the visuals, where HR had it's own character. I can't be alone in that surely? I mean, there must be... dozens of us?

Hmm, I didn't hate it like so many seemed to. I'm sure there will be a Reshade preset out quickly that adds it back in, or wrap tinted cellophane around your display if your limited to a console version.

patapuf

Game reviewers complaining about the story makes me even more excited to play it. Usually their opinions on story are worthless.

I wouldn't put expectations too high.

HR had a good atmosphere but it's themes went nowhere as well. That was good enough for me, but story is not the reason the game was good.

Hm...yeah, I think I'm gonna wait on it too see how I enjoy Human Revolution as I keep on going through it. Story is huge in games like this for me, so for it too be not that good? I'm gonna wait it out until I atleast see some GAF impressions of the story (so a couple days after release).

Elios83

So basically it's like HR with a few key flaws fixed but the story still ends abruptly and doesn't take off.
I'm still excited about the game since I loved HR but I don't get why the developers don't take the story aspect more seriously.

Window

Deus Ex Human Revolution had a very underwhelming ending and the game never really went anywhere with its themes. Nor did we actually get any well-depicted characters and the antagonists were hollow and barebones. From a narrative perspective, Human Revolution wasn't particularly imrpessive.

Deus Ex 1 was just silly Alex Jones material.

And with Mankind Divided you seemingly have "Segregated Water Fountains" and "Augs Lives Matter" ("but the game has nothing to do with race!!!" according to the developers) and the ending is supposedly abrupt and anti-climactic.

I don't think Eidos Montreal are capable of crafting a solid narrative with excellent characters and seeing how they handle constructive feedback and criticism like children, I'm not sure how they'll ever improve.
I absolutely agree that HR's and MD's allegory for discrimination and segregation seems poorly conceived but I don't think Deus Ex 1's story can be easily dismissed as Alex Jones material. That's a very surface level reading of the story. I don't think it's nearly as good as people claim but I don't think it presents as much of a cynical singular view of the world as you imply.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Read my RPS review and sold even more. It's disappointing the story isn't better than HR, which did have a pretty good emotional arc. But gameplay wise, saying it is an unhampered version of HR is what I wanted. More tools, bigger level, better design, etc.

Nzyme32

The graphics comparison video seems to demonstrate that the MSAA is pulling down that performance, and even then the Ultra settings are not offering a major difference that is at least visibile in such a compressed video. I think I'll have no problem at all with performance on high with the 1060.

I don't always trust IGN reviews but when they review a game I'm looking forward to highly then I always trust IGN reviews

I kind of like this aspect honestly because I usually care more about side stories than the main plots and if they can make those interesting then that's nice. I rather prefer a lot of smaller vignette type things

Yeah I'm with you on that. Even if the scale of the story is not so grandiose, if they have those fleshed out enough, I'm sure to find a lot of enjoyment there.

tomhan

I have read some reviews and I am totally disappointed, not because the game is bad or sth, because I was expecting way more.
Human Revolution was pretty good for 2011, since then many prolific games have come and gone and the industry has changed, especially the narratives and depths of stories.

I also read some reviews and I am very excited to play it. It's a shame that the game's story doesn't stick the landing but it sounds like it is going to be a heck of a fun game to play.

I'm very sold.

While reviews don't suggest that it's an outta the park home run, they tell me what I wanted to know:

Is it at least as good as HR?

Yes, it is.

A good observation that sums up my feelings too. I think I liked HR more than the average reviewer, so this is an easy buy for me. Can't wait to experience that atmosphere again.

Nzyme32

So basically it's like HR with a few key flaws fixed but the story still ends abruptly and doesn't take off.
I'm still excited about the game since I loved HR but I don't get why the developers don't take the story aspect more seriously.

Pretty much exactly the same thoughts. A continuing shame, but still sounds like I'll be about as happy as I was with HR, which is to say it isn't going to live up to my lofty expectations of breadth and depth from the original, but I will enjoy it

Hoping for 4k 60fps with sli 1080... I even have a gsync monitor if it drops but theres an issue with sli atm so I can't use it... may have to drop some settings.

Tovarisc

Interesting that sites are posting videos about the game and showing gameplay footage when according Sterling embargo on footage lasts until Tuesday. Reason why he can't release proper MD material today.

Catvoca

Banned
It's dumb for a whole other reason too -- those two scales are the same. Logarithmic and power transformations are monotonic. Whether the space from 9 to 10 is bigger or smaller than the space from 7 to 8 is irrelevant. They still express information the same way. Go to the California DMV and you get a 50 question test where you fail if you get more than 4 wrong. This does not mean that you yell at the DMV worker that "Uh, excuse me, 45/50 is a 90%, fuck you for failing me", it means you engage brain cells and understand that the scale can be different depending on context. Even in the world where it is just absolute imperative to transform the scale from the current scale to one where games are uniformly distributed between a 1 and a 10 (this is a quantile transformation, basically), it's still monotonic--games that review better than other games would still review better than other games. So from a comparative perspective this would change absolutely nothing. The question is whether or not you can understand what the scale is trying to convey. Which you can do by, shock of shocks, reading the reviews... or the summaries... or comparing review averages between games... or engaging your brain for even a second.

But it's also dumb for a whole other other reason. People aren't randomly buying games. Hundreds, maybe thousands even excluding iOS, of games come out every year. Most people, even on GAF, buy a dozen or so at most. You're not randomly selecting from all those games. You wouldn't expect your collection to have some 1/10s, 2/10s, 3/10s, 4/10s, 5/10s, etc. The "average" game should be semantically interpreted as "not worth playing". Granted that there might be some subject matter or dev loyalty or whatever it is that puts it over the top for you, but most of your games should be tilted far towards the right. And the same selection bias applies to reviewers. Even if the average game produced was a 5, the average game reviewed would not be a 5, because reviewers don't randomly pick games off the shelf to review, they can only review so many and they prioritize games that are high profile or interesting. So if the average reviewed game was a 5, then the average game produced with be below a 5, thus causing the opposite worry of the one that the chart advances--with games being bunched up over the bottom half of the scale and sparse over the top end.

People complaining about review scales are basically people wearing Hot Topic "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same" t-shirts. They certainly aren't people who have completed high school math.

Fantastic post.

dr_rus

Going from 2x to 4x MSAA isn't going to cause a 30-40 fps difference though. I'm assuming it's one of the Shadows settings. Maybe "Contact Hardening Shadows" or "Shadow Quality".

This is highly dependent on the renderer and if it's deferred (I believe it is in the case of Dawn engine) then going with twice MSAA samples may actually lead to a huge performance loss quite easily. The rest of shader changes you've mentioned are just adding on top, especially as they are likely badly optimized for NV h/w. Would be interesting to see if Radeons are seeing the same loss of performance between High and Ultra.

Good review scores and I'm glad they didn't screw up like they did with Thief. Unfortunate that the story sucks as I thought Human Revolution had a very good story. I'll wait for a price drop as I don't see it being that much of a leap from the last game, and y'all killed Faridah Malik while giving an awful reasoning. That alone, can't forgive you Eidos.

Best wishes.

Top Bottom