• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

SlickVic

Question/spoiler regarding Otar's favor
if you tip off Louis Gallois and spare his life, does Otar ever find out? It sounds like the next side mission with Otar things progress the same regardless of whether you kill Louis or tip him off, but maybe I'm missing something

Can someone please help me? After getting to the door that leads to the throat in golem city, I vane make it past the cutscene with Victor. My game just aims at a wall or the floor and I can't do anything but reload my save. Did anyone have a problem like this happen to them? I am playing on the PS4

Can someone please help me? After getting to the door that leads to the throat in golem city, I vane make it past the cutscene with Victor. My game just aims at a wall or the floor and I can't do anything but reload my save. Did anyone have a problem like this happen to them? I am playing on the PS4

Mine did same thing but it was because I went up there before the guy down stairs gave me permission

Dalibor68

Banned
Finished the pre-order bonus mission. While it was fun, it was also incredibly short(20-30min). Since the Season Pass has another two "Jensen Stories" I wonder if they will be the same length. Because if that's the case then that's probably the worst value season pass in history lol.

d00d3n

Where can you find a Tranq Rifle?

Explore the courtyard outside of the book store associated with one of the first quests in Prague. In the northern end, you can enter a small indoors area. Break the destructible wall and you will find the tranq rifle inside

Akai__

Just started "I Never Asked For This" difficulty, get to Prague and my Xbox decides to disconnect from Xbox Live. Savefile gone... Well, at least it wasn't in the last mission...

nOoblet16

Question/spoiler regarding Otar's favor
if you tip off Louis Gallois and spare his life, does Otar ever find out? It sounds like the next side mission with Otar things progress the same regardless of whether you kill Louis or tip him off, but maybe I'm missing something
No he doesn't.
It has the same end result.

Would anyone else agree that the balance between action "missions" and dialogue/fetch quest stuff seems unbalanced in this game, in favor of the latter?

I won't go into much detail in the non-spoiler thread but I swear I could almost count on one hand how many real classic infiltration missions there were with large, complex, multi-floor hostile compounds that you have to complete multiple tasks in,stealth or guns blazing, the classic Deus Ex formula.

While I enjoyed the stories in the side quests, the vast majority of them follow a variation of the same formula: talk to X person, investigate Y apartment, break into Z basement and avoid maybe 1-3 guys and a security camera, talk to X person again, etc. I'm okay with that when the stories are as good as they are, but man, I feel like 80% of my playthrough was that sort of stuff and I felt really starved of the meatier "action" missions. I haven't done an actual count but I think at least half of the main missions were not much more than "go talk to somebody somewhere".

It's interesting because I actually felt HR had the opposite problem, where the second half of the game in particular was long infiltration mission after mission after mission with no breather in between, feels like they swung too far in the opposite direction this time. It stinks because I actually think the core stealth and combat gameplay is way better this time around, so I almost wish HR and MD had the opposite problems in that regard.

Akai__

You asked for it, though.

Knew that was comming. :D

Finished the pre-order bonus mission. While it was fun, it was also incredibly short(20-30min). Since the Season Pass has another two "Jensen Stories" I wonder if they will be the same length. Because if that's the case then that's probably the worst value season pass in history lol.

I was wondering where
Ivan Berk ended up, after you see him at the train in Prague for a second
. Feel like this should have been in the game, but this is probably the DLC that SE asked for 2 weeks prior to certification.

Just finished the game. I was so disappointed by the last half of the story, from
GARM
onwards. It just feels so unsatisfying, or outright irritating.
The GARM facility in particular just felt like a waste of time. Where was the bossfight, or the conversation bossfight, or even just a secondary objective? You sneak through like three rooms and then all of a sudden you pop out the other side and Chikane's there waiting for you. You get back to Prague and it's a real pain having to sneak back and forth through the city when both the main and side missions keep shuffling you between the two areas. And then it's off to London for an ending out of nowhere. "You're going to have to go a lot higher" YOU HAVE UNLOCKED NEW GAME +

I finished it in 36 hours (I was done with Human Revolution in 24, by comparison), and the first two thirds of it were absolutely sublime. I loved exploring Prague. I hit like twenty hours before I went to Golem City, just exploring every hidden path I found. I stumbled across pretty much all the areas that I'd eventually get led into by side missions or the main story. And the side missions themselves were some of the most enjoyable I've ever played through. But the main story? What a dud.

Just finished the game. I was so disappointed by the last half of the story, from
GARM
The GARM facility in particular just felt like a waste of time. Where was the bossfight, or the conversation bossfight, or even just a secondary objective? You sneak through like three rooms and then all of a sudden you pop out the other side and Chikane's there waiting for you. You get back to Prague and it's a real pain having to sneak back and forth through the city when both the main and side missions keep shuffling you between the two areas. And then it's off to London for an ending out of nowhere. "You're going to have to go a lot higher" YOU HAVE UNLOCKED NEW GAME +

I finished it in 36 hours (I was done with Human Revolution in 24, by comparison), and the first two thirds of it were absolutely sublime. I loved exploring Prague. I hit like twenty hours before I went to Golem City, just exploring every hidden path I found. I stumbled across pretty much all the areas that I'd eventually get let into by side missions or the main story. And the side missions themselves were some of the most enjoyable I've ever played through. But the main story? What a dud.

Lot of unmarked spoilers in there still, bud.

Edit: Never mind, you fixed it. Anyway. How about that Deus Ex eh

nOoblet16

Would anyone else agree that the balance between action "missions" and dialogue/fetch quest stuff seems unbalanced in this game, in favor of the latter?

I won't go into much detail in the non-spoiler thread but I swear I could almost count on one hand how many real classic infiltration missions there were with large, complex, multi-floor hostile compounds that you have to complete multiple tasks in,stealth or guns blazing, the classic Deus Ex formula.

While I enjoyed the stories in the side quests, the vast majority of them follow a variation of the same formula: talk to X person, investigate Y apartment, break into Z basement and avoid maybe 1-3 guys and a security camera, talk to X person again, etc. I'm okay with that when the stories are as good as they are, but man, I feel like 80% of my playthrough was that sort of stuff and I felt really starved of the meatier "action" missions. I haven't done an actual count but I think at least half of the main missions were not much more than "go talk to somebody somewhere".

It's interesting because I actually felt HR had the opposite problem, where the second half of the game in particular was long infiltration mission after mission after mission with no breather in between, feels like they swung too far in the opposite direction this time. It stinks because I actually think the core stealth and combat gameplay is way better this time around, so I almost wish HR and MD had the opposite problems in that regard.
I mean you spend a lot of time doing dialogue quests even in Deus Ex 1.

Totally, I'm replaying through Deus Ex 1 right now. And it feels like there's a lot more combat (or JC whacking dudes in the back of the head with his baton, whatever) too. I'm not saying the dialogue quests are bad or that I don't want them in my Deus Ex, just that it feels like the balance is off.

I think the big, covert-op break-in missions that ARE there are better designed than HR overall, (particularly the bank and golem), but there are sooo few of them.

Not really. There are usually only 1-3 dialogue choices per major conversation in Deus Ex, whereas the prequels have RPG-esque conversations. The first part of Hong Kong is pretty heavy on exploring and talking to various people, but that's about it. The game doesn't put you in extended speech encounters with multiple NPC's as Mankind Divided does for nearly every quest.

GARM

I finished it in 36 hours (I was done with Human Revolution in 24, by comparison), and the first two thirds of it were absolutely sublime. I loved exploring Prague. I hit like twenty hours before I went to Golem City, just exploring every hidden path I found. I stumbled across pretty much all the areas that I'd eventually get led into by side missions or the main story. And the side missions themselves were some of the most enjoyable I've ever played through. But the main story? What a dud.

As someone who is just about to
head to London
this post worries me.

Up until this point I've found the main story quite fun, if not mind blowing.

Deus Ex isn't relevant anymore nowadays.
I meant the first game that is 15 years old

The first game, even without nostalgia goggles, is so, so much better than this latest overrated, barely-related-to-the-original, poor man's Far Cry with added vents.

If 15 years of advancements in gaming can't even produce a game of the same ambition, scope and overall quality of the original, you can bet your ass it will continue to be relevant for another 15 years.

Anyway to get your playtime from ingame on PS4? I've played for dozens of hours, finished my first visit to Golem City and the app says 0 hours played.

lcap

Guys, starting my playthrough later today and which control layout are you using (PS4)? I'm leaning towards the shooter one, but can't be sure which one I'll end up needing more throughout the game.

Guys, starting my playthrough later today and which control layout are you using (PS4)? I'm leaning towards the shooter one, but can't be sure which one I'll end up needing more throughout the game.
The Breach one felt most natural to me, but YMMV.

Then it won't do anything to ruin what you've seen so far. Just a completely expected ending to the story.

"Ending"

You stop Marchenko's plan. Literally every other plot thread and character arc simply stops halfway through. Asia Argento finally gets cleared for field work, assigned to MacReady's team no less, so she has a big part in the final mission, right? Nope, never heard from again. Elias Chikane and Adam's uneasy bond? Nah, dropped. MacReady walking into a trap and Jim Miller getting bonked on the head? Eh, we don't need to hear from them again. Vaclav Koller? Who? Janus and Alex? Megan Reed still alive and working for Versalife? That stuff with Robert Page and Manderley? What am I going to do with this cure for the Orchid? Nope, forget all that, time for the credits!

The game almost stops mid-sentence. I can't remember a more abrupt, unsatisfying ending since Assassin's Creed 1. And then Delara pops up during the credits to basically pull off a Scooby Doo villain mask and say "Hey, remember that unexplained plot thread about Adam spending a year in an Alaskan facility that he can't remember properly that happened entirely off-screen? lol come back for the sequel!"

"Ending"

You stop Marchenko's plan. Literally every other plot thread and character arc simply stops halfway through. Asia Argento finally gets cleared for field work, assigned to MacReady's team no less, so she has a big part in the final mission, right? Nope, never heard from again. Elias Chikane and Adam's uneasy bond? Nah, dropped. MacReady walking into a trap and Jim Miller getting bonked on the head? Eh, we don't need to hear from them again. Vaclav Koller? Who? Janus and Alex? Megan Reed still alive and working for Versalife? That stuff with Robert Page and Manderley? What am I going to do with this cure for the Orchid? Nope, forget all that, time for the credits!

The game almost stops mid-sentence. I can't remember a more abrupt, unsatisfying ending since Assassin's Creed 1. And then Delara pops up during the credits to basically pull off a Scooby Doo villain mask and say "Hey, remember that unexplained plot thread about Adam spending a year in an Alaskan facility that he can't remember properly that happened entirely off-screen? lol come back for the sequel!"

The cure was meant for Miller actually

ugh, yeah there were so many threads just left dangling there. Did anyone else get the pocket infolink about Chikane? I forgot where it was but
it mentioned someone mysterious meeting Chikane at a set of coordinates to help him solve his problems. I was trying to figure out where the coords might be and actually go there lol. His computer also had some stuff about falling behind on payments at a care facility or something for a relative of his.

There were just a lot of threads like that about betrayal or interesting side stuff that never goes anywhere and never gets pulled on. Pretty disappointing.

Up until GARM the game is beautiful, after that it really does kind of fall apart, fast.

Anyone got the platinum trophy? Lots and lots of extra effort or pretty minimal?

Dalibor68

Banned
Really weird, I'm not feeling any of that disappointment. Did you guys not
finish the serial killer and Sarif TV sidemissions after returning from GARM? That alone stopped it from feeling like an abrupt ending to me because there was still content. Also I guess maybe it's because I didn't expect the ending to be "final" or offer real absolution, I was always aware that this is basically the or one of the "inbetween" games, not Adam Jensens final adventure.

ugh, yeah there were so many threads just left dangling there. Did anyone else get the pocket infolink about Chikane? I forgot where it was but
it mentioned someone mysterious meeting Chikane at a set of coordinates to help him solve his problems.
I was trying to figure out where the coords might be and actually go there lol. His computer also had some stuff about falling behind on payments at a care facility or something for a relative of his.

There were just a lot of threads like that about betrayal or interesting side stuff that never goes anywhere and never gets pulled on. Pretty disappointing.

Up until GARM the game is beautiful, after that it really does kind of fall apart, fast.

Anyone got the platinum trophy? Lots and lots of extra effort or pretty minimal?

It was officially revealed in an artbook that Chikane is a spy for the Illuminati. One way to find the clue is an e-mail or pocket secretary from a guy with the same initials as Elias Chikane notifying the facility that problems are coming (before Jensen arrived @ the GARM facility). This also explains why if you contact Miller @ the GARM factory the alarm will go off after a while, because Chikane will know about your status being alive.

"Ending"

I thought the first game's ending was pretty abrupt and ridiculous as well, so my expectations had already been lowered.

nOoblet16

Deus Ex isn't relevant anymore nowadays.

The first game, even without nostalgia goggles, is so, so much better than this latest overrated, barely-related-to-the-original, poor man's Far Cry with added vents.

If 15 years of advancements in gaming can't even produce a game of the same ambition, scope and overall quality of the original, you can bet your ass it will continue to be relevant for another 15 years.
Both of you are wrong.

It was officially revealed in an artbook that Chikane is a spy for the Illuminati. One way to find the clue is an e-mail or pocket secretary from a guy with the same initials as Elias Chikane notifying the facility that problems are coming (before Jensen arrived @ the GARM facility). This also explains why if you contact Miller @ the GARM factory the alarm will go off after a while, because Chikane will know about your status being alive.

Oh damn thanks for posting this

Finished this earlier today and was completely underwhelmed with the ending and the parts immediately preceding it.

The gameplay for the first 2/3 of the game was sublime and then it sort of just falls apart and then ends extremely abruptly. :/

Someone on the Deus Ex reddit made a pic of Keanu Reeves into Jensen.

So you know I had to do it...

eBO9OhO.jpg

gdt

Just finished it. Loved it. Better than HR.....but boy was that an abrupt ending.

Started the Jensen story and all my Upgrades are gone. No thanks.

As I'm doing sidequests, yes. Digging the game tho.

Finished it in 20 hours with all side quests done.

The end is abrupt but
London
is a great last level. I loved
picking them all off at the conference.

Only bad part of the game is the
martial law
in Prague. Not fun.

Great game overall. Not sure if I prefer it to HR or not. Obviously not as good as the original.

Edit: wow I got the Pacifist achievement too! Chuffed.

tomasdk

Finished it in 20 hours with all side quests done.

The end is abrupt but
London
is a great last level. I loved
picking them all off at the conference.

Only bad part of the game is the
martial law
in Prague. Not fun.

Great game overall. Not sure if I prefer it to HR or not. Obviously not as good as the original.

Edit: wow I got the Pacifist achievement too! Chuffed.

How are you people playing the game so fast, it took me 20 hours before I even entered
TF29
:D

Top Bottom