• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

benzopil

Thanks to PowerPyx I can finally collect all ebooks. There is
of them if you are interested.

Btw does anyone know if this game has NG++? Still can't find an answer.

I want to play this game but one thing is putting me off and that's the story. I played Human Revolution when it come out and enjoyed it purely for its gameplay but my god the story was so hard and convoluted to follow! Didn't anyone else think this?

By the end of it I really didn't know or care for what was going on in it. There was all these characters and lingo and conspiracies, double crossings and I didn't really know what the whole point of it was - even though the first couple of hours were easy to understand in terms of the plot. My concern about this game is is by the end I dont want to be in a state where I don't know what Im doing here or why I was doing this, trying to infiltrate this, taking down another boss etc like the first game.

I enjoyed games like MGS and their convoluted plots more than this and even understand them more. But this series I always have a hard time following its plot and characters.

Iceternal

I have them all turned off, expect for cover to cover line and the interaction option (not the outline). Much more immersive that way instead of the objective locators and mini-map chewing everything for you.

It basically looks something like this for me:

Strangely your screenshot looks almost cell shaded.

Glass

I want to play this game but one thing is putting me off and that's the story. I played Human Revolution when it come out and enjoyed it purely for its gameplay but my god the story was so hard and convoluted to follow! Didn't anyone else think this?

By the end of it I really didn't know or care for what was going on in it. There was all these characters and lingo and conspiracies, double crossings and I didn't really know what the whole point of it was - even though the first couple of hours were easy to understand in terms of the plot. My concern about this game is is by the end I dont want to be in a state where I don't know what Im doing here or why I was doing this, trying to infiltrate this, taking down another boss etc like the first game.

I enjoyed games like MGS and their convoluted plots more than this and even understand them more. But this series I always have a hard time following its plot and characters.

Something about the story and narrative in HR and MD is very dry for non-fans imo. I'm not sure what it is either. I know I can appreciate it, but I can imagine it puts newcomers off.

It's kind of like the writers and narrative team are already invested in this world, and they forgot there needs to be more to allow newcomers to latch on with. You're either 100% in or out with the story in this game. Like the initial opening cutscene with the
Illuminati.
That isn't going to do anything for 95% of people I imagine. It's just going to be confusing exposition.

I think they use way too many jargons & acronyms - the number of times a character has probably said a sentence and have it lost and mean absolutely nothing to people I'd imagine is pretty high. I also think a lot of the voice work and conversation is very stilted (not talking about the animations or lip synching).

Still love the hell out of it.

Moff

You unknowingly found the right solution.

I saved the delegates and then defeated Marchenko. There are two ways to achieve both. If you have the jammer then you need to go to the delegates unseen and then go back to Marchenko after you save them..you also need to be unseen in the party area when you have to go up against 11 guards for this to be possible. I believe there is also a timer here which is 10-15 mins long.

The other way is to do the heist mission for the cure which you use to save delegates and then find a killswitch for Marchenko so when he is about to blow up the bomb instead of activating the jammer you kill him with the killswitch. I'm not sure how saving the delegates comes into play if you have the cure. I don't k ow if you still have to make s run for them or if it makes a difference with timer compared to when you make a run for then without cure or if you run out of cure if you give it to miller.

Some ways you can only achieve one:
1) Get seen while going for the delegates or in the party area.
2) Have the orchid cure and go fight Marchenko without using the killswitch.
3) Pretty sure another one is that you go for the delegates but take too long to get to Marchenko.

Last mission seems to be dependant on several things which is why I found it so good.

I can confirm that time is no factor at all.
because I take my sweet time with everything, haha. the way I play deus ex, I put the whole level to sleep, and I did that in the last mission as well. and that takes damn long. for instance, golem city took me like 6 hours. and the least one, maybe 1 full hour? certainly very long. saved the delegates first, used the antidote on miller to save him. and then walked to marchenko, slowly, looking at everything. (there is also a shortcut between the delegates and marchenkos room btw. but I didn't notice/use that on my first try)
so certainly time has 0 influence on that outcome.

I was wondering myself what made me achieve both, but the way you say it, it's apparently that I was unseen.

usp84

Is the Person of Interest "Shots Fired" side objective bugged?I got to the apartment and pick everything up but the green marker stays and the re is nothing else i can do there.

JustDrive

Can anyone tell me if I have to complete SM 12
K is for Kazdy
while
Prague is in Lockdown
or can I wait until after?

15 hours in, an observation about side missions.

There seems to be a lot of multi-part side missions that start in the first few hours of the game and continue throughout the game. If you miss some of them, you might miss out on major parts of the game and later stages could feel... empty.

Has anyone else had trouble downloading the new patch on Steam? Mine is just sitting at "0 bytes / 0 bytes" and not budging. Tried restarting Steam, tried restarting my computer, tried verifying game cache, nothing. And I can't play the game without the patch; every time I hit play it tries to reinitiate the download.

EDIT - Never mind, should have looked in the PC performance thread first. I changed my Steam download server to one in Russia and restarted and now it's going fine.

J4g3r

Has anyone else had trouble downloading the new patch on Steam? Mine is just sitting at "0 bytes / 0 bytes" and not budging. Tried restarting Steam, tried restarting my computer, tried verifying game cache, nothing. And I can't play the game without the patch; every time I hit play it tries to reinitiate the download.

The one they released yesterday?

I remember them tweeting out that if you have issues downloading it, it's on Steam's end.

They suggested changing download regions.

This game is like the opposite of No Man's Sky to me. Whereas NMS started with blowing me away and fizzled out, Mankind Divided started poorly and becomes a fantastically engrossing game the more you invest in the world. Weirdly, I prefer doing side quests in this game far more than the core quests... Just exploring and seeing has this dystopian world functions is awesome.

This game is like the opposite of No Man's Sky to me. Whereas NMS started with blowing me away and fizzled out, Mankind Divided started poorly and becomes a fantastically engrossing game the more you invest in the world. Weirdly, I prefer doing side quests in this game far ,more than the core quests... Just exploring and seeing has this dystopian world functions is awesome.

The side quests are amazing thus far.

You unknowingly found the right solution.

I saved the delegates and then defeated Marchenko. There are two ways to achieve both. If you have the jammer then you need to go to the delegates unseen and then go back to Marchenko after you save them..you also need to be unseen in the party area when you have to go up against 11 guards for this to be possible. I believe there is also a timer here which is 10-15 mins long.

The other way is to do the heist mission for the cure which you use to save delegates and then find a killswitch for Marchenko so when he is about to blow up the bomb instead of activating the jammer you kill him with the killswitch. I'm not sure how saving the delegates comes into play if you have the cure. I don't k ow if you still have to make s run for them or if it makes a difference with timer compared to when you make a run for then without cure or if you run out of cure if you give it to miller.

Some ways you can only achieve one:
1) Get seen while going for the delegates or in the party area.
2) Have the orchid cure and go fight Marchenko without using the killswitch.
3) Pretty sure another one is that you go for the delegates but take too long to get to Marchenko.

Last mission seems to be dependant on several things which is why I found it so good.

What is this jammer? I killed Marchenko, then ran back to save the delegates. I didn't get bombs and I didn't have to use the orchid cure.

I killed Marchenko pretty quickly (fully upgraded tesla to nerf him and his bots, grenade launcher with frag rounds, battle rifle/combat rifle with AP ammo to put him down). I had also cleared out all of the fake Tarvos guards and rapidly made my way to the elevator through a mix of stealth, EMP, gunfire and Typhoon.

No bombs went off and I got a cutscene where Adam stops everyone from drinking the champagne. I didn't see Miller die, but according to the end cutscene he didn't make it.

So I can't prove it, but maybe time does play a factor.

EDIT:
played the end again and I was able to use the Orchid cure for Miller. Everybody lived... (except Marchenko)

The story does feel rather inconsequential but the world and the levels are so intricate I really don't see how this can be considered worse than HR. HR levels for the most part were mostly set out in a linear path and about getting from point A to B. There were of course different ways to take that path. Here however the objectives can be tackled in an order which the player wishes and the path you take is not necessarily in a single forward direction. Not to mention the hidden objectives which are never mentioned and it's up to the player to find them in the level. Mankind Divided does the larger hub (Prague) and mini hub (Palisade) levels expertly and is probably the best example of this design philosophy since the original.

Yea, the level design has blown my expectations away. If you enjoyed HR! I don't see how the gameplay and design isn't 10 steps ahead. Maybe Jensen is too overpowered? My Jensen certainly isn't yet, but I've heard that as a critique.

Loving the game so far but man it's taking me a bit to get used to the controls. There are a lot of layers to the controls and a lot of system to try and remember.

Sprint being mapped to triangle and crouch to R3 is fucking with me lol. I've died more than once trying to wrestle with the controls during firefights.

CHC

Loving the game so far but man it's taking me a bit to get used to the controls. There are a lot of layers to the controls and a lot of system to try and remember.

Sprint bring mapped to triangle and crouch to R3 is fucking with me lol. I've died more than once trying to wrestle with the controls during firefights.

I actually found the "Standard" control option a lot easier to deal with. L3 to sprint, L1 for cover, Circle for crouch. It feels more intuitive, the only downside is that you lose an aug hotkey (can't bind one to L1 anymore).

nOoblet16

What is this jammer? I killed Marchenko, then ran back to save the delegates. I didn't get bombs and I didn't have to use the orchid cure.

I killed Marchenko pretty quickly (fully upgraded tesla to nerf him and his bots, grenade launcher with frag rounds, battle rifle/combat rifle with AP ammo to put him down). I had also cleared out all of the fake Tarvos guards and rapidly made my way to the elevator through a mix of stealth, EMP, gunfire and Typhoon.

No bombs went off and I got a cutscene where Adam stops everyone from drinking the champagne. I didn't see Miller die, but according to the end cutscene he didn't make it.

So I can't prove it, but maybe time does play a factor.

EDIT:
played the end again and I was able to use the Orchid cure for Miller. Everybody lived... (except Marchenko)
You get it from the mission where you save the girl...instead of going for the heist.

The jammer is used when Marchenko is about to trigger the bombs. Which is why I think timer plays a role because if you can save the delegates by running to them then go back to Marchenko and kill him without the killswitch and YET manage the bombs from going off...then that makes the jammer redundant.

SkylineRKR

I beat the game on Gimme Deus Ex and with Pacifist. The game is very good but doesn't really build from HR. The HR ending sequence
built up Page and Reed and thats sort of discarded in MD.

Also, the enemy was sort of disappointing.
He had more character building in the reveal trailer. I feel that it was meant to be the prologue of this game, where you find the culprit, he beats you and goes into hiding. But in the actual game you're ofcourse investigating still.

I did like that he was the only boss fight and you can even kill switch him right off the bat. But I liked the encounter with Talos better.

Tovarisc

He had more character building in the reveal trailer. I did like that he was the only boss fight and you can even kill switch him right off the bat. But I liked the encounter with Talos better.

You should have read more stuff and talked to more people. He could have been deeper, but they did build him in-game too.

Tacitus_

I beat the game on Gimme Deus Ex and with Pacifist. The game is very good but doesn't really build from HR. The HR ending sequence
built up Page and Reed and thats sort of discarded in MD.

He had more character building in the reveal trailer. I feel that it was meant to be the prologue of this game, where you find the culprit, he beats you and goes into hiding. But in the actual game you're ofcourse investigating still.

I did like that he was the only boss fight and you can even kill switch him right off the bat. But I liked the encounter with Talos better.

Discarded? Uhh (endgame spoiler)
Reed is making the Orchid, which is the midway point in rewriting your genes to curing aug rejection syndrome. And apparently they installed something nasty in Adam during his recovery...

Oxn

I actually found the "Standard" control option a lot easier to deal with. L3 to sprint, L1 for cover, Circle for crouch. It feels more intuitive, the only downside is that you lose an aug hotkey (can't bind one to L1 anymore).

This is what i use.

SkylineRKR

Discarded? Uhh (endgame spoiler)
Reed is making the Orchid, which is the midway point in rewriting your genes to curing aug rejection syndrome. And apparently they installed something nasty in Adam during his recovery...

Well I still have to play the Bank mission. I figure thats a crucial point.

Window

So I've noticed that when you use the Tesla augment, the enemies turn hostile for about a second before going down (not sure if it happens everytime). Does this count against acquiring the ghost rating?

Moff

So I've noticed that when you use the Tesla augment, the enemies turn hostile for about a second before going down (not sure if it happens everytime). Does this count against acquiring the ghost rating?

yes, but ghost is not a whole game achievement, you just need to do it for one mission, I got it after dubai

Doesn't look that old in MD imo, but could be that he is getting help from nanite tech they finalize sooner or later post-MD.

I guess it's the gray hair, he looks young apart from that.
but in DX1 he has full black hair.

StewboaT_

Sprint being mapped to triangle and crouch to R3 is fucking with me lol. I've died more than once trying to wrestle with the controls during firefights.
Man, so much this. I'm about half way through the game and just finally starting to get a grip on the controls now. Sprint mapped to L1 for the default controls would be heaven. On that note, can someone remind me of the button combo to quick switch weapons?

So which HUD elements should I turn off?

I'm thinking:

- cover to cover line
- objective locators
- pickup outline

Any others?

I put all of the auto-fade options on and turned off everything else except for object names (outlines are off). Plays great that way.

Yeah I just finished a replay of HR right before starting MD and it took me a couple of hours to get used to the controls. I'm all good now though and I love having augs on LB.

CHC

I put all of the auto-fade options on and turned off everything else except for object names (outlines are off). Plays great that way.

I like auto fade, in theory, but the way it works (specifically with regards to ammo counter) is weird. Like, the ammo should appear when you take out your gun, but instead it only appears after you fire a shot.

Glass

Yeah, I'm going for a no alarms run and I have no idea if this is messing with it or not. I guess the weapon doesnt count as silent or something and that's why its turning people hostile momentarily?

Tovarisc

That's a bit annoying. Do they turn hostile every time or under certain conditions?

Infiltrating ARC atm. The verticality in this level is very impressive.

afaik tesla triggers hostility no matter what, makes it useless aug for stealth players. Especially for ones chasing Foxiest of the Hounds achievement.

Paasei

Completed my first non lethal playthrough on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty. Sadly I didn't manage to fully alarm free. Also got a feeling that in one mission it simply triggered on it's own: Late game mission spoiler.
The one in Switzerland as soon as you go in the tunnel/giant tubed shaped long room. I went through it below, but still triggered somehow.

I really love this game, as I am a sucker for stealth and exploring, both are very rewarding here.

Going to start another one soon, but first playing HR for the 5th time again or so.

usp84

I am about to leave Prague for the first time.I did all the side-missions but is there anything else that i won't be able to do after i leave?

Top Bottom