• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

lifa-cobex

As a 40k fan, I really love the Cult of the Machine.

a09.jpg

I praised the same thing.

Samehere_d4bcc9019ab130767cc00c2a0afbe9d2.jpg

Vic_Viper

The negative reactions the whole microtransaction stuff is completely unwarranted. People are being ridiculous and this game seriously doesn't deserve the hate its getting from a small minority of haters. First of all, the game can be played completely without paying any extra money. Secondly, most players wouldnt have even noticed they were there if it wasnt for the outcry of hate.

So what if the publisher added extra bonuses if you want them, Hell, it helps support the devs if people do decide to purchase any of them. The only part that does seem a little suspect is the whole one time use preorder/season pass stuff. Yea it sucks but they transfer over when you play the new game + so it really doesnt matter if you used them already.

KingKong

Do does overheating actually do anything besides reset your ui once in a while? I've been at 200 for a while and havent noticed anything else

JTripper

Really digging this game. The stealth options instantly hooked me, as they did with HR. I think I prefer HR overall though. It had a cooler neon yellow and black cyber aesthetic that's missing from Prague and I prefer the levels from that game too, but MD is still very satisfying. Not a huge fan of the story this time around either but if it's the start of something bigger, I can give it a pass.

jrcbandit

The negative reactions the whole microtransaction stuff is completely unwarranted. People are being ridiculous and this game seriously doesn't deserve the hate its getting from a small minority of haters. First of all, the game can be played completely without paying any extra money. Secondly, most players wouldnt have even noticed they were there if it wasnt for the outcry of hate.

So what if the publisher added extra bonuses if you want them, Hell, it helps support the devs if people do decide to purchase any of them. The only part that does seem a little suspect is the whole one time use preorder/season pass stuff. Yea it sucks but they transfer over when you play the new game + so it really doesnt matter if you used them already.

I agree, it's ridiculous. The game is very generous in earning Praxis kits, especially if you do the side missions. I didn't even realize you could also purchase them until someone posted here about it. A complete non issue for the story mode which is what 99% of people bought the game for, I've played more than 20 hours and still not through with it (dunno exact hours as I was idle for a few). Haven't even attempted breach mode to see what that is like, but I don't care if it has more of a f2p focus (if that is even true??) as I've more than gotten my value out of story mode.

Really digging this game. The stealth options instantly hooked me, as they did with HR. I think I prefer HR overall though. It had a cooler neon yellow and black cyber aesthetic that's missing from Prague and I prefer the levels from that game too, but MD is still very satisfying. Not a huge fan of the story this time around either but if it's the start of something bigger, I can give it a pass.

I kind of like the difference, though. HR was dark and gritty. It's a nice change to explore a city in the daytime.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Are you saying stuff in your three storage vaults in Jensen's apartment can disappear? Or was the ammo just on the floor?
It was on the floor. I will have to use the vaults going forward. Thankfully, nothing really important.

lifa-cobex

It is OTT and something you can completely ignore.
Having said that,
Games are something to be a challenge and test yourself or either reactions, puzzles, tactics etc etc.
Having micro transactions like this takes away the bulk of challenge to these elements.
I see it as paying your way through the game (even though you already payed for it).
Basically it's lazy and completely devoid of the point of playing a game.

Imagine paying for souls in Dark Souls. Your argument can still apply to it.
However it crushes the main challenging element to the game.

If micro transactions where to be successful. Other company's would make sure the developers worked them into the game.

The line of love for making a game for a story or challenge would be pushed just to squeeze as much money as the can out of people.

Honestly I don't think micro transactions in this game can't do any harm to anything.
If you wanna get them, fine I guess.
But I do think people are afraid of a snowball effect and that's why they get such an OTT reaction. It's making sure the opinion is heard and it doesn't get escalated.

Extremely vocal minority affectionately (and repeatedly) referred to that as a "piss filter", so now its gone under the guise of "we have a new aesthetic to represent that the golden age of technology's progress is over" [paraphrased], It got taken out in Deus Ex:HR Directors cut though so not just MD. Vocal minority also had a lot to say about boss fights as well...

Original VO actor went literally nuts little after HR was released. Blamed Illuminati for his failed marriage, acting career and how they are following him etc.

Damn... that makes me consider what happened to Sarif in between HR and MD in a whole new light...

Hostile_18

Banned

The 50 pounds entrance fee is supporting the developers.. do you really not see a conflict of interest with performance DLC so close to the game play experience for a full price retail game? Or how close of a slippery slope this is or how much pressure publishers can put on developers to encourage players to buy?

I honestly think people can be far too fast to defend thsee things and everyone is going to suffer in the long run because of it.

i think i'm nearing the end.

after
meeting with janus
, i think that was mission 10, i now had to decide whether to go after
versalife and the orchid
or after
stanlek's daughter and the bomb plot
. difficult choice, but i went with the former.

curious to see if this is going to bite me in the ass or not.

Out 1

Having just finished a non-lethal run, I'm already thinking of doing another one. Last two games that I played more than once were Mass Effect 2 and Human Revolution back in 2010-2012. I'm surprised how much I liked this game. Even the much criticized narrative made sense to me. It hit all the necessary beats and concluded at the right moment. Overall, the game felt like a first half of Act 2 of the bigger narrative. Hopefully the story won't conclude with the next game.

One thing that puts Mankind Divided over Human Revolution for me is Prague. I have to acknowledge all the craft and talent that Eidos Montreal poured into this game's hub city. I'm failing to find examples of video game cities that are as excellent as Prague in this game. I don't know how they translated the distinctive atmosphere and, if you'll excuse me, the city's ethos so perfectly into a video game form, but here it is. How well Prague fits into the game's major themes was another discovery.

One could argue that GTA V's LA is another great example of a real world location depicted in a video game. While it is true, I think Rockstar North had an easier, or at least more straightforward path. LA is all about surface, hence translating it into Los Santos is only a matter of putting familiar iconography into right places.

Kalentan

Question for Main Mission 05.

So I went in silently and ONLY knocking out guards. Yet when I got out, they acted like I went rambo and was killing guards? Do they always do that?

I kind of like the difference, though. HR was dark and gritty. It's a nice change to explore a city in the daytime.

i disagree. the first prague visit screamed identity crisis to me and as a result it felt... not right. don't get me wrong, the visual design is amazing, a lot of half life vibes, and dishonored as well (but i suppose that was a lot like half life 2 as well) but it just wasn't deus ex in my book.

to me, deus ex has always been about conspiracies when most of the masses were asleep, that's what i find so exhilarating about this series. it all happens at night.

it wasn't until some missions later
you return to prague in the evening
where the hub is absolutely beautiful. such a shame they didn't start with it.

nOoblet16

Games are very expensive to make these days. $60 or £50 is still not enough, especially considering that amount is worth far less today than it did back when games were actually cheap to make due to how simple they were.

IF the developers can come up a way to include microtransactions for those willing to pay and yet have a game that does not feel affected by it at all then I'd say any negative reaction to it is a knee jerk overreaction.

P.S. (As a side note please do not cite Witcher 3 as an example of a game that provides more at the same price, firstl TW3 is an exception to the norm, secondly CDPR is based in Poland they can afford to keep things cheap and yet TW3 cost them tens of millions. You can bet that if it was made in a NA, Japan or Western Europe it would have cost a lot more.)

nOoblet16

Btw, the real reason for the gold black filter in HR was because it signified the Mechanical Renaissance, because paintings from the Renaissance era had a gold black look to them.

MD is post Renaissance...after the fall. Hence it makes sense to get rid of the gold black filter.

ibn Saïd;215193504 said:
i disagree. the first prague visit screamed identity crisis to me and as a result it felt... not right. don't get me wrong, the visual design is amazing, a lot of half life vibes, and dishonored as well (but i suppose that was a lot like half life 2 as well) but it just wasn't deus ex in my book.

to me, deus ex has always been about conspiracies when most of the masses were asleep, that's what i find so exhilarating about this series. it all happens at night.

it wasn't until some missions later
you return to prague in the evening
where the hub is absolutely beautiful. such a shame they didn't start with it.
Well it's not like HR was totally set in night time.

Part of me has always hoped Eidos will eventually do a complete remake of the Deus Ex on their own terms but I think they will stop after the next one.

I know some people will consider that statement sacrilege, but I think that having to wrap up their games so that they still maintain the canon of the original two games will limit them creatively.

I'd love to see what they do with the ability to make alterations to the gameplay mechanics, art, graphics, audio, AI, level design etc etc etc - but built on top of contemporary tools and hardware.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Original VO actor went literally nuts little after HR was released. Blamed Illuminati for his failed marriage, acting career and how they are following him etc.

Wait what? Links? I need to hear more about this.

Also yeah, I miss Sariff and Sariff industries. Such an awesome hub, company, character, idea, etc.

Loved it.

Rhoc

He went too far with the method acting i think lol. Kinda sad for that dude.

dlauv

Does anyone do gunthrus and actually enjoy it? That Titan armor looks pretty sick.

I don't understand why you have a taser, a blade launcher and a tesla gun tho. Seems redundant/imbalanced.

The new Sharif's "Aaaadaaam!!" game is weak.

Truth. Missing Papa Sarif pretty deeply.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
As relatively good as this game is ... It wasn't worth waiting 5 years ....

Witcher 3 was released 3 years only after 2 and it's five times the game DEMD is . Think about it .

This game , content wise , is worth 2 years TOPS of production .

Their Deus Ex Universe thing better it off in the end.

I think Square Enix got a hard on when they saw how well Ass Creed was doing and they wanted something similar except AC crashed before DEMD was even released lol.

I am not ...

Disappointing story and not enough content for the damn 5 years wait.

5 years should be enough to produce a fucking masterpiece.

Wrong.

Witcher 3 fulfilled all my expectations and more.

Do you realize how long 5 years is ? a 5 year long development ?!

Most games don't even get half ! That's insane !

Most great games take three years to produce.

This game is just a little above average.

Anyway, thanks to Jim Sterling we know what happened.

They better not take more than two years to bring the sequel ...

The Witcher 3 is the new standard according to which I shall judge all games from now on.

DOOM for example is a game that is much above average. Dark Souls 3 too. Bloodborne is GOAT material. DEMD is just ok.

With anti consumer moves like cutting a game in half to sell two games, DLC, Denuvo etc comes entitlement.

Also read the lengthy review just above to better understand my point of view.

It doesn't really matter though.

The longer a sequel takes to come out, the higher the expectations will be.

Imagine for a second if Half Life 3 was announced. It would have to be the GOTY to not disappoint most fans.

I don't care about Half Life so it was just used as an example.

But it's not really naive. It's jus the truth. I've been on Gaf long enough to understand how hype works. And trust me, the longer a game takes to come out, the more demanding the players will be.
You have the strangest sentence structure.

I think I have seen.

At least in a while.

It's like someone who wants their essay/report to look longer.

Than it actually is.

FAKE EDIT: Wow sorry for long post, well Ice should be sorry.

Hostile_18

Banned
Games are very expensive to make these days. $60 or £50 is still not enough, especially considering that amount is worth far less today than it did back when games were actually cheap to make due to how simple they were.

IF the developers can come up a way to include microtransactions for those willing to pay and yet have a game that does not feel affected by it at all then I'd say any negative reaction to it is a knee jerk overreaction.

P.S. (As a side note please do not cite Witcher 3 as an example of a game that provides more at the same price, firstl TW3 is an exception to the norm, secondly CDPR is based in Poland they can afford to keep things cheap and yet TW3 cost them tens of millions. You can bet that if it was made in a NA, Japan or Western Europe it would have cost a lot more.)

Mario Kart, Rocket League, Hyrule Warriors, Dishonoured, Dark Soul's, Bloodborne, Borderlands, Mass Effect all did paid DLC that supported the dev's, was more profitable than the Base game in terms or margin yet didn't try to fleece their customers or introduce intrusive pay to win dlc that affected game play. If 50/60 isn't enough to cover a games costs that's the publishers problem to be frank not the consumer.

ibn Saïd;215194791 said:
yes it was... not in a single night, granted, because (dxhr)
jensen was in the pod for 3 days when he stranded in singapore
, but it was all at night.
Upper hengsha and the last level disagree with you

nOoblet16

ibn Saïd;215194791 said:
yes it was... not in a single night, granted, because (dxhr)
jensen was in the pod for 3 days when he stranded in singapore
, but it was all at night.
Tai Yong Medical was day time and so was the last level.

SCB3

Oh WTF the Game just totally screwed me and now I can't actually beat the game

Spoilers for final boss

So I finally get to
Kill Marchenko
, after several attempts I manage to do it fine.

Game doesn't register me as doing it, then as I leave anyway, Marchenko is on my radio telling me to face him!

So anyway, I carry on and finish M16 (Literally the only mission I have) only for it to tell me to go
kill Marchenko
, which I already have.

I literally cannot continue! I'm so angry cause I've loved every last second of this game up until this point, just so annoyed! Especially as its the last fn part of the game!

Upper hengsha and the last level disagree with you

Tai Yong Medical was day time and so was the last level.

ah, i forgot about tai yong. which is pretty inconsistent coming to think of it, because when you enter it from lower hengsha it's nighttime. so unless it takes half a day to get to the top, it should have been dark.

(also, it reminds me of the dev commentaries in the director's cut, where they said they actually wanted to do another hub for upper hengsha)

as for panchaea i don't really count it setting wise, it was just there for the endings. i think the devs agree because the pacifist/foxiest of the hounds achievements etc. pop up before you even arrive in panchaea.

So I stumbled upon a drug lab, and it's part of a side quest. I didn't do the early part of the quest that has you going around investigating. I just went straight into the drug lab, and shut it down. When I did that it didn't register as a completed side quest. Now, maybe, if I work in reverse, the side quest will activate and I'll get the exp.

But I shouldn't have to do that. The game should be prepared for someone to stumble into a sidequest at multiple points.

I think in contrast to most people, I'm not feeling these side quests.

munroe

What's the game like regarding invisible walls? What I liked about the original is that there didn't appear to be any invisble walls so with the right augs and world objects you could really explore, however in HR there was loads so it felt really restrictive

axb2013

What's the game like regarding invisible walls? What I liked about the original is that there didn't appear to be any invisble walls so with the right augs and world objects you could really explore, however in HR there was loads so it felt really restrictive

The screenshot I posted two posts earlier shows one. There is no way to get across the fence, at least not with little story progress I made so far and I doubt it changes later on.

Tizoc

Question about Mission 12
Any major difference on whether I go to the bank of save Stanek's daughter?

Trace

Banned
The screenshot I posted two posts earlier shows one. There is no way to get across the fence, at least not with little story progress I made so far and I doubt it changes later on.

Wouldn't you just get stuck behind that if there was no invisible wall to stop you?

nOoblet16

ibn Saïd;215196423 said:
ah, i forgot about tai yong. which is pretty inconsistent coming to think of it, because when you enter it from lower hengsha it's nighttime. so unless it takes half a day to get to the top, it should have been dark.

(also, it reminds me of the dev commentaries in the director's cut, where they said they actually wanted to do another hub for upper hengsha)

as for panchaea i don't really count it setting wise, it was just there for the endings. i think the devs agree because the pacifist/foxiest of the hounds achievements etc. pop up before you even arrive in panchaea.
Upper hengsha was pretty much finished they just said they couldn't cone up with a means to make the player stay there quest/story wise. It was Montreal that they thought of as another hub but simply couldn't make it in time.

axb2013

Wouldn't you just get stuck behind that if there was no invisible wall to stop you?

The shot doesn't show it but there is a building to the right. The area beyond the wall I'm facing is "reasonably" inacessible, the space behind the fence should be.

valkyre

My God... characters' body language when talking is attrocious... seriously animators tried to convey some short of emotional response but it ends up being completely wierd, robotic, soulless and most of the time downright hilarious...

Would have been much better if characters just stayed still while delivering the dialogue.

I like the game but this thing is unacceptable by todays standards.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Is there anything I can do about the (around mission 9 or 10)
crime scene in the alley near my apartment?
I talked to people around it because it seemed like it should be a side quest but I didn't get anything.

Diancecht

Is there anything I can do about the (around mission 9 or 10)
crime scene in the alley near my apartment?
I talked to people around it because it seemed like it should be a side quest but I didn't get anything.

There will be a follow up later in the game.

Top Bottom