• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

roxya

Pachinko said:
I see the GAF retcon squad is out in full force today. So DMC4 isnt' worth picking up at all now then ? I should just rent it eh ? I see tons of used copies at ebgames now as well.

Umm... have you tried the demo? If yes, did you like it? If no, well... I don't even know why you'd ask anything without trying it yourself.

jett

D-Member
Draft said:
Actually in DMC3 you could pick from one style and 2 weapons the entire game. The rest got stored in the God of Time's loincloth.

Indeed. Himuro's retarded post isn't even worth a reply.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
how much of the game have you actually played, himu? nero's moveset is really deep and balanced once you've bought all of it. roulette gives him more potential for air combos than dante. buster, snatch, and charge shot really fill out his repetoire -- sometimes i'll go into a bloody palace stage with a full exceed gauge, get most of the way through it and realize i haven't swung my sword yet. exceed, come to mention it, is an awesome, addictive mechanic. i personally like nero better than dante.

though dante on the other hand has tons of variety, and the constant availability and easy upgradability of his styles and weapons invite experimentation in a way that dmc3 couldn't. you can break out a style or a weapon for very specific situations and then go back to your bread and butter.

the basic enemy design is excellent, and dozens of hours in you'll still be discovering new tricks. using royal guard to penetrate a blitz's defenses, activating nero's devil trigger to launch gold knights, stringing two roulettes together with air hike, etc etc etc etc ETC

there's a lot to criticize about dmc4 -- the poor level design, the heavy recycling, the difficulty that doesn't really hit until dmd, and can be evaded even there with item abuse. but the combat is absolutely peerless. play the damned game before you jump into message board polemic.

Himuro said:
Huh? There are 4 styles in DMC4: trickster, swordmaster, gunner, and royal guard. And there's a A LOT of weapon variety. In DMC4, So far Nero's had like...the same weapon the entire game.

Are you having a brain aneurysm?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Himuro said:
Well, I'm 8 missions in with Nero. I played some with Dante earlier on and I like what I like what I played. It had variety, yes, but I still couldn't get into it. Nero, he's okay to use but his move list is really boring to me. I don't like using the same weapon I've had since the beginning of the game, and doing nothing but combos gets old fast. On top of that, I don't like how so many of his moves are upgrades. That said, the past few missions are much better than the ones before it, but still have the occasional game design flaw. I particularly liked the dice game, and the section on Mission 7 where you had to stand on the disappearing platforms. I really enjoy the platforming the game has, but whenever you fall you have to fight a group of enemies and it becomes tedious. For every single good thing I enjoy about the game, there's something else in the way that pushes my enjoyment two steps back.

The combos and combo stringing is wonderful. Pulling off a rev while in mid combo and then unleashing a powerful move for a lot of red orbs and style points is rewarding. But I want more than that. I've been mostly fighting Marionettes the entire game so far. And fucking dudes in armor that can fly. Now the game is spamming the reaper enemies (who I'm glad are back, I missed them in DMC3), and even more marionettes. In DMC1 and 3, by mission 8 you not only had plenty of weapons to choose from, there was a new type of enemy on every new mission, particularly in DMC1.

I just find the whole emphasis on combos appealing any more. I want some thing more to it is all. But for what it's worth, I'm still continuing the game.

Thank you for posting an informative post, Drohne. I guess I'll continue the game, but at this point I'm assuming I just don't "get" DMC combat any longer. Believe me, I'm trying my hardest to enjoy and be impressed by the game, but it's not clicking.
See, On DH there were allot of Marionattes, They also won't introduce new enemies till thier cutscene either. But once you get to SoS and DMD. They start spawning different enemies right off the bat. Like 3 or 4th mission you get your first blitz right in the beginning. The Assualts are spawning on the very 2nd level then and such things like that too.
The game is much much more fun at the higher levels

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Himuro said:
This is why you should be able to pick any difficulty at the beginning. Sigh.

I'd have to agree. I started on DH, and thought that was too easy :| SoS mode was easy to me too... I haven't tried DMD yet because I let my friend borrow my copy, but I don't know if I'll go back to it anytime soon. Playing the same few levels again and again sucks :/ I liked the game, but DMC3 is still my favorite of the series.

You know, I've been thinking and when Capcom releases the SE version of DMC4 they should make a few changes to Dante's set up. I think they should have an equip option and let the player select their weapons and their order for them. If a player wants they can equip no weapons and bare knuckle it (like when Dante can pound enemies mid sword throw), or they can just equip one weapon set (gun and sword) and it can be like DMC1, or 2 sets and be like DMC3, or all of them and be like DMC4, or any weird combination. This allows those who maybe don't like a certain weapon to avoid having to use it in the rotation. It would also be nice to choose the rotation as well, though it only really matters when all the weapons are equipped. In addition, I think we should be able to assign a style to each weapon, that way we don't have to run to the d-pad each time you want switch style, so for instance I have a tendency to use swordsmaster when using Rebellion, if I equip the style to rebellion I can automatically switch to Rebellion and swordsmaster in one go from whatever I was in, allowing for combos to flow a little more naturally, as I feel going to the d-pad breaks things up a tad too much. Of course, this could be bogged down with styles switching every weapon making the game unplayable, so we need to add another option, "default." Now, what default will do is it will carry over whatever previous style you were using, thus you can plan out strategies and combinations that suit your tastes best, so for instance I could set Pandora to gunslinger and the rest of the guns to default, have Rebellion with swords master, Lucifer with trickster, and the rest on default, as such every time I switch into a weapon I have a style preference with it'll be there, but if I switch to one I don't it'll just pick up where I left off keeping thing a bit more in control. Of course, this raise a bit of a problem in reference to Yamatou, but perhaps Capcom can decouple things? Oh, and of course the d-pad style switching will still exist as an override, and you can maintain the exact same dynamic as 4 has now simply by setting every weapon to default. Oh, and an in game equip option will be needed to be added, naturally. I think something like that could lead to a natural player specific combo set up... tapping the d-pad constantly feels a bit awkward, IMO, and I feel this would alleviate that. If nothing, players could just set everything to default and ignore it, and I agree it's a bit redundant in some cases (only using a single weapon set, for instance), but it offers up more choice and combat customization, so it's not like it will hurt.

Also, sorry for the block of text.

Pachinko

Well I went and rented this mostly just because I was curious about the story, as such I left it on human difficulty. Yeah it's super pathetically easy but atleast unlike DMC3 the option is there to play it like that. All games should take note of that, have a "human" mode for players so that ANYONE can finish the game so long as they learn the basic controls. Would I be having more fun playing on the standard devil hunter difficulty ? Probably but I can be pretty certain that I wouldn't have made it to stage 9 allready. I prefer to have context for watching cutscenes in any game that has a story so this style of play gives me that opportunity.

Should I feel like challenging myself later on , I can simply start over on normal difficulty with the added bonus of being able to skip all the cutscenes and knowing what I have to do stage design wise , so I can even attempt to go for a higher score etc. I think my basic problem with getting into the DMC gameplay though is that it's setup to play very offensively as compared to ninja gaiden where it's stick and move stick and move, always looking for that opening and striking. They really are very different games and I think it's safe to say that comparing them is getting a little silly, some people like oranges , others enjoy apples and many even enjoy both fruits.

I'll continue onward and finish the game on human difficulty.. figure it'd be pretty embarrassing if I couldn't pull that off atleast.

Ok I think I've reached my limit: Berial on DMD mode. A little late unlocking this mode, but you know, college and stuff. This is the first time playing this game where I feel like I'm simply not good enough to progress. There were moments on SOS mode where I was like damn this is tough for me, but I think I can do it. And I did it. But this is just beyond what I'm capable of. :lol

Think I'll continue slamming through Heaven or Hell for now.

jett

D-Member
brandonh83 said:
So I'm struggling with stylish rank on H/H mode since enemies die on one hit... what's the best way to go about this?

hmm I didn't think about this...is it even possible to s-rank missions in heaven or hell?

brandonh83 said:
Ok I think I've reached my limit: Berial on DMD mode.
Agreed. I had a pleasant jaunt through the second level, barely getting hit and demolishing the enemies with SS, but for some reason Berial destroyed me. Granted, I did get him down to two bars without using items, and I haven't tried him again. We'll see if I can improve my skills, or I'll just resort to items.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
FUCK

i finally got further on DMD mode, but that insect dude is annoying the shit out of me DAMN. Everytime when he had 1 bar left he sucked the health out of me, even after repeatedly slashing him while in DT it still didnt cancel it. What a bastard.

burgerdog

BobM said:
Hey guys, i need some help. I want to trade my 360 DMC4 for the PS3 version. I have an HD tv that only has 1080i, and so alot of PS3 games still play in 480p. So i need to know if DMC4 is upscaled or plays in 1080i or will it play in 480p?
I only want the PS3 version if i can play it in 1080i HD as 480p looks like shit in comparison.
You cant always go by the back of the box, as alot of games that are labeled as 720p play fine in 1080i.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I don't think PS3 DMC4 upscales to 1080i or 1080p. The 360 version should, why do you want to switch if that one does play in 1080i?

drohne

brandonh83 said:
So I'm struggling with stylish rank on H/H mode since enemies die on one hit... what's the best way to go about this?

i don't think rank has any relevance in either h/h mode -- the game doesn't record your rankings, and while it asks you upload scores, there don't actually seem to be any leaderboards? :/

jett said:
hmm I didn't think about this...is it even possible to s-rank missions in heaven or hell?

It keeps track of your stylish points as you hit shit (why is that? the other modes do not) so I just assumed there was a way to do it. But as someone mentioned it doesn't keep track of your rankings-- don't suppose it matters, but I hate getting bad grades (comes with being in college I guess) :lol

SabinFigaro said:
Agreed. I had a pleasant jaunt through the second level, barely getting hit and demolishing the enemies with SS, but for some reason Berial destroyed me. Granted, I did get him down to two bars without using items, and I haven't tried him again. We'll see if I can improve my skills, or I'll just resort to items.

I hate resorting to items, makes me feel so cheap... but I do have over 300,000 red orbs in the vault...

exarkun

Sorry to bump the thread, but has anyone else experienced game crashing when getting to a certain level? I read an earlier post where they said they had to restart the ps3 five times to get it to work but I'm already at six times and this level either will freeze at the loading screen or freeze bout a minute into the game.

I'm trying to play the first level on human (just got to DMD and need farm for some orbs) and all it does is crash. Should I delete the install and install it again? What could be the problem? The disc itself if fine and all the other levels load fine. It is just weird.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
brandonh83 said:
It keeps track of your stylish points as you hit shit (why is that? the other modes do not) so I just assumed there was a way to do it.
When you replay a mode, they will constantly show the the track of your stylish points. So no, it's not a Heaven or Hell-exclusive feauture :)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Virgil jr. is a lot easier to play than good ol Dante, I think the buster and exceed has something to do with that, plus his moves don't knock away or beat the crap out of enemies as often as Mr. personality.
I think they made Dante way too goofy. He barely took anything serious during the whole game. :lol It's obvious he's way more powerful at default but I'm disappointed that they gimped him. He can't even run up walls!!! And wasn't he able to fly? I kinda miss the other weapons as well.

Overall, some fun and cheesiness to be had but I was much more compelled with the previous games.

Weenerz

Banned
Accidentally went on a secret mission, failed it because I wasn't paying attention and it reset my entire level and I was almost complete WHAT THE FUCK. I don't even want to play this game anymore ugh.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Weenerz said:
Accidentally went on a secret mission, failed it because I wasn't paying attention and it reset my entire level and I was almost complete WHAT THE FUCK. I don't even want to play this game anymore ugh.
"Failed" as in "died"?

Yoshichan

Weenerz said:
You're not supposed to die during secret missions! Get it "failed" instead :).

Doc Evils

This game has the shittiest camera I have used in a while. I am on the last boss on mission 19 and the game is seriously pissing me off.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I wasn't aware the wall running maneuver from DMC3 was so popular...

For the most part the environments in DMC4 are a lot more open so I can see why it was cut.

Dahbomb

Chamber said:
I wasn't aware the wall running maneuver from DMC3 was so popular...

For the most part the environments in DMC4 are a lot more open so I can see why it was cut.
Wall Run and a lot of the "vanilla" moves from DMC3 were removed in DMC4. But even so, I believe that those "vanilla" moves gave DMC3 a sense of personality over other action games. They were moves that had no apparent usage aside from looking overly stylish like the Free Ride move and even the Wild Stomp.

Seiken said:
When you replay a mode, they will constantly show the the track of your stylish points. So no, it's not a Heaven or Hell-exclusive feauture :)

Had no idea... this happens when you replay any previously completed level? Sweet.

drohne

i think dante's missing moves have more to do with ram limitations than anything else -- one of the developers mentioned in an interview that memory was a concern. keep in mind that dante's got all his weapons and all his moves available all the time.

LordK

exarkun said:
Sorry to bump the thread, but has anyone else experienced game crashing when getting to a certain level? I read an earlier post where they said they had to restart the ps3 five times to get it to work but I'm already at six times and this level either will freeze at the loading screen or freeze bout a minute into the game.

I'm trying to play the first level on human (just got to DMD and need farm for some orbs) and all it does is crash. Should I delete the install and install it again? What could be the problem? The disc itself if fine and all the other levels load fine. It is just weird.

I get crashes when I have stuff downloading in the background (for ps3). Could that possibly be your problem? Other than that, the game has never crashed on me.

exarkun

copybeaver said:
I get crashes when I have stuff downloading in the background (for ps3). Could that possibly be your problem? Other than that, the game has never crashed on me.

Ooooooo that actually might be it. I might have been downloading stuff while playing the game...That would explain why it played so much better the next day.

Edit: Thanks alot.

turkey_69

Banned
I beat the game, and man does it suck ass. WTF I don't remember DMC or DMC3 being so shitty. That new producer really destroyed the franchise this time.

roxya

copybeaver said:

Yeah, it crashed on me too only once.. while downloading condemned 2 demo -_-

Yoshichan

turkey_69 said:
I beat the game, and man does it suck ass. WTF I don't remember DMC or DMC3 being so shitty. That new producer really destroyed the franchise this time.
SomeDude said:
The DMC 1 director really needs to come back to this franchise.
I love these "after-comments" on the game :lol

slade

Only problem I really see is that they messed up Dante's mechanics a bit by giving him everything at once. It would have been a lot tighter if you got to pick your weapons like in DMC3. Other then that, I don't agree with any of the other complaints. The backtracking bit especially is just asinine. The first time through the bestiary changes for Dante and his moves and combat mechanics are completely different from Nero's that it's a fairly different gameplay experience. Even the levels are approached differently and the whole last quarter of Dante's segment is completely new.

Call me an idiot, but I really like this game, in spite of its flaws.

disclaimer: I have not beaten DMC1 and I put maybe 30 mins into 3.

Why the hate GAF? WHY THE HATE?

Narag

viewtiful_dru said:

There wasn't much hate when it first came out! Its a fine game but wasn't what a lot of longtime fans expected, it seems. I jumped on DMC with 3 and was eager for 4 which didn't disappoint.

roxya

For the Nero part: the combat is mostly good, though I find him slower than Dante and it irks me. I feel there was way too much emphasis on DB for bosses. Every boss is basically finding out when you're supposed to lay down some buster scene ¬_¬

Dante: now we're fucking talking! From the first time I used him, I knew it really felt like DMC again. Swordmaster is really amazing - using drive and then a couple of overdrives is killer. Dance Macabre last hit rocks :D The trash and bosses are all too easy for Dante. Note this is just from DH mode so far, so really the whole game was easy anyway..

Overall, I think I'd have preferred a full Dante game, or maybe they should use Nero's gimmick less on bosses and make it more technical. Still, I enjoyed the game overall and will be playing son of sparda and DMD when I get some time.

Narag

roxya said:
For the Nero part: the combat is mostly good, though I find him slower than Dante and it irks me. I feel there was way too much emphasis on DB for bosses. Every boss is basically finding out when you're supposed to lay down some buster scene ¬_¬

Dante: now we're fucking talking! From the first time I used him, I knew it really felt like DMC again. Swordmaster is really amazing - using drive and then a couple of overdrives is killer. Dance Macabre last hit rocks :D The trash and bosses are all too easy for Dante. Note this is just from DH mode so far, so really the whole game was easy anyway..

Overall, I think I'd have preferred a full Dante game, or maybe they should use Nero's gimmick less on bosses and make it more technical. Still, I enjoyed the game overall and will be playing son of sparda and DMD when I get some time.

DB wasn't really needed on the bosses though. It did a great deal of damage without offering much in the way of style points which served to deter anyone playing for online rankings. Also, in the harder difficulties the windows to use the DB are smaller and it takes longer to get a boss into the appropriate stun phase iirc which greatly reduces its usefulness.

Chamber, that's awesome and oh so true.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
viewtiful_dru said:

2d17038.jpg

DMC1 is still king of this franchise but I enjoy DMC4 a hell of a lot more than I did DMC3. Different strokes, I guess.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I actually think alot of people liked it, only the lttp people now seem to hate it :lol

Meh, im a huge DMC fan and i liked it. Could have been better buts atleast it not DMC2.
SAY YOU LIKE IT GODDAMIT I WANT DMC5!
!

Top Bottom