• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

slade

bill0527 said:
The constant backtracking and not sure of where I'm supposed to go next fucking blows. I'm finishing most these later missions with a time score of D. I think it was the 8th or 9th mission, where you have to go across Ferris Falls into the forest, where I actually backtracked all the way to the beginning of the game because I didn't know where to go next. Sure, they may show you a cut scene, but in the case of Ferris Falls, I hadn't actually been to that area yet.

Take heart, you're not the only one who's done this. All I'm gonna say on this matter at this point is that you guys should explore the environments in the game more. You cross the Ferris Falls part early in the game and there's even a Vital Star there so exploring a bit pays off. And when you stand at the edge of where the bridge is supposed to be, a line of text pops up stating the very obvious: that there seems to be something strange about the waterfall.

Ceb

slade said:
Take heart, you're not the only one who's done this. All I'm gonna say on this matter at this point is that you guys should explore the environments in the game more. You cross the Ferris Falls part early in the game and there's even a Vital Star there so exploring a bit pays off. And when you stand at the edge of where the bridge is supposed to be, a line of text pops up stating the very obvious: that there seems to be something strange about the waterfall.

The time limit makes the player less inclined to explore. For DMC5, I really think they should ditch the scoring based on the time left. Time to try something new.

Fady K

Finally got to playing this a bit, loving it so far - and I think im in the minority here but NERO SUCKS. NOT AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER BUT AS A CHARACTER IN THE PLOT. Heck I enjoyed Dante's role in the story in DMC3 more than Neros here T_T

QCF Punch said:
I had trouble with this at first as well. For the most part, the demons will move to wherever Nero is, not to Kyrie, so stay away from Kyrie and if they get close to her, use Snatch. Kyrie should yell or give some kind of cue if they get close, but don't chance it since you may not have enough time to react.

Oh man, that tip helped so much. I finally did it, thanks :)

It's funny how I can completely decimate the last boss now (got my first mission S ranking while retrying the credits) and had more trouble with the friggin' bonus mini-game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ThirstyFly said:
Oh man, that tip helped so much. I finally did it, thanks :)

It's funny how I can completely decimate the last boss now (got my first mission S ranking while retrying the credits) and had more trouble with the friggin' bonus mini-game.
:lol

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
jesus -- took me forever to s-rank mission 13 on dmd. i don't think echidna gave me much trouble with nero, but somehow she was an absolute bitch with dante. i ended up at #30 on the leaderboards for that level, which is kinda cool

Because DMC4 is so awesome I feel like playing DMC3 which I've heard is the best. How does it run on PC? I've got a Q6600 and an 8800 Ultra, but will it be better than playing it on PS2 if I use a gamepad? I don't like playing on my PS2 because it looks like crap on my HDTV.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DMC3 on PC is so bad, it hurts :(

I thought playing as Dante was awesome. I'm enjoying it much more then nero. You feel like a real bad-ass and somehow I think the easier boss fights makes dante that much more bad-ass.

I actually prefer Dante over Nero. Nero is great too though but Dante with swordmaster maxed out is a good time. :D

darkpaladinmfc said:
Because DMC4 is so awesome I feel like playing DMC3 which I've heard is the best.

Same here. I've had the PS2 version since the Greatest Hits came out, but never got around to it and the difficulty didn't help things either.

Now that I've cut my teeth on DMC4, I think I'm going to seriously sit down and play it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Playing DMC3 again after sinking dozens of hours into DMC4 felt really awkward to me. Oddly I can go back to DMC1 again without a problem.

jett

D-Member
Bought this bitch yesterday.

In a word: BADASS. I'm at mission 16 on Devil Hunter right now...I think I vastly prefer Nero. Dante just feels too vanilla without the devil bringer and the red queen. Also, I can triple suplex angelos with Nero. I can't do that with Dante.

Nero wins. Seriously, Nero's DT moves are SO FUCKING AWESOME WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAAHHHHH

Just going through the game on DMD and I can safely say, no other game has made the 360's d-pad more worthless to me. I can't ever seem to switch styles as Dante without screwing up and reverting to Trickster or going into Dark Slayer. =/

Dahbomb

jett said:
Bought this bitch yesterday.

In a word: BADASS. I'm at mission 16 on Devil Hunter right now...I think I vastly prefer Nero. Dante just feels too vanilla without the devil bringer and the red queen. Also, I can triple suplex angelos with Nero. I can't do that with Dante.

Nero wins. Seriously, Nero's DT moves are SO FUCKING AWESOME WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAAHHHHH
Dante keeps giving more and more when you keep playing as him. Nero maxes out pretty early. Surely Dante doesn't have the cool looking stuff that Nero has but he has his own stuff. Wait until you get Real Impact and Divine Dragon... you can't do that shit with Nero.

SMZC

Dahbomb said:
Dante keeps giving more and more when you keep playing as him. Nero maxes out pretty early. Surely Dante doesn't have the cool looking stuff that Nero has but he has his own stuff. Wait until you get Real Impact and Divine Dragon... you can't do that shit with Nero.

I agree, Dante has a lot of really cool shit. But there's something about playing without the Devil Bringer that I just don't stand. Almost all of his combos end up with him knocking the enemy away from you, and it really sucks that you have to be chasing them only to knock them away from you again and again.

They really need to figure out a way to give Dante something like the Devil Bringer in DMC5. I don't want to play any new DMC game without it.

Dave1988

SMZC said:
I agree, Dante has a lot of really cool shit. But there's something about playing without the Devil Bringer that I just don't stand. Almost all of his combos end up with him knocking the enemy away from you, and it really sucks that you have to be chasing them only to knock them away from you again and again.

They really need to figure out a way to give Dante something like the Devil Bringer in DMC5. I don't want to play any new DMC game without it.

NO.

They need to figure out how to fit both characters in correctly. DMC4's build around Nero and so are the enemies. Besides, Dante's a shadow of his former self (DMC3) in 4.

Dahbomb

SMZC said:
That's why you use Trickster or learn to cancel stuff. Or better yet learn to cancel Stinger into Million Stab.

SMZC

Dahbomb said:
That's why you use Trickster or learn to cancel stuff. Or better yet learn to cancel Stinger into Million Stab.

I do know that stuff, but being able to get the enemies close to you with the Devil Bringer is still much better.

Yoshichan

SMZC said:
I do know that stuff, but being able to get the enemies close to you with the Devil Bringer is still much better.
But it's so much cooler to cancel Stinger (million stabs) then High Roll up in the air.

Stinger to million stabs is cake if you just mash that button, what i want to know is how you switch to another attack after that because atm all i can do is jump to avoid launching the enemy.

Edit: Oh and using real impact more often with Dante made bloody palace much easier.

jett

D-Member
Okay, what happened to the "you have to S-rank every enemy in Son of Sparda to defeath them" bullshit? Son of Sparda so far is even easier than Devil Hunter because I'm a high-powered muthafucka. :p Kind of disappointed.

Narag

jett said:
Okay, what happened to the "you have to S-rank every enemy in Son of Sparda to defeath them" bullshit? Son of Sparda so far is even easier than Devil Hunter because I'm a high-powered muthafucka. :p Kind of disappointed.
Sadly it was bullshit as was the SSS needed to kill stuff in Hell or Hell. That'd been so awesome.

Yoshichan

jett said:
Yeah it's a pity :(

Yoshichan

Holy shiiiiiii-

Echidna went from being the worst boss in DMC-history to one of the best! While I was running through the game once again, I noticed a bug (?). When Echidna's just leaving her stun animation, you can buster her. That way she'll get stunned again. You can repeat this till she dies, works flawlessly in DMD! Tripple S :D

Also, I had no idea you could buster Baels two minions and draw him to you. It's so fucking awesome.

I still can't believe I'm finding new stuff every time I play this game. Amazing.

ezekial45

Banned
Seiken said:
Holy shiiiiiii-

Echidna went from being the worst boss in DMC-history to one of the best! While I was running through the game once again, I noticed a bug (?). When Echidna's just leaving her stun animation, you can buster her. That way she'll get stunned again. You can repeat this till she dies, works flawlessly in DMD! Tripple S :D

Also, I had no idea you could buster Baels two minions and draw him to you. It's so fucking awesome.

I still can't believe I'm finding new stuff every time I play this game. Amazing.

What the hell? Echidna is the worst boss in DMC history? That easily goes to The Savior. I had a lot of fun fighting Echidna, so i'm a little confused to why she's suddenly the best, in your opinion, because of an exploit.

Dahbomb

Just having my fun with Distortion techniques with Dante. Any physical move with Dante can be Distorted with the correct timing though the longer the move lag the easier it is (hence it is the move obvious with the Real Impact).

Yoshichan

ezekial45 said:
What the hell? Echidna is the worst boss in DMC history? That easily goes to The Savior. I had a lot of fun fighting Echidna, so i'm a little confused to why she's suddenly the best, in your opinion, because of an exploit.
Haha, what I meant by worst boss in DMC history is that she was way too fucking hard for me before using the exploit :p Now it's really intense and I'm enjoying the battle more.

Darkpen

Banned
Seiken said:
Holy shiiiiiii-

are you sure you're "finding new stuff" yourself, or are you finding these "new" things through Youtube?

:|

Dahbomb said:
Just having my fun with Distortion techniques with Dante. Any physical move with Dante can be Distorted with the correct timing though the longer the move lag the easier it is (hence it is the move obvious with the Real Impact).
wait, so how does it work, then? You do the animation, and right before it ends, disable DT?

drohne

five missions left to s-rank in dmd. 60 hours on the clock. i've finally dropped my 'no items' policy, which was giving me hell on mission 15...used one medium vital star on bael. should make the rest of the game go much quicker, even if it kills my leaderboard rankings

Yoshichan

Darkpen said:

are you sure you're "finding new stuff" yourself, or are you finding these "new" things through Youtube?

:|

wait, so how does it work, then? You do the animation, and right before it ends, disable DT?
Really, I didn't find any of the two things mentioned above on Youtube or any other site... or that's what I hope :/

comrade

Seiken said:
Really, I didn't find any of the two things mentioned above on Youtube or any other site... or that's what I hope :/
I've seen both things you've mentioned in youtube videos but congrats on finding them yourself man. I never would have and I played the piss out of the game.

Yoshichan

Tiduz said:
is it bad that im already fucking hyped for dmc5? Because i really, really, really am.
It's bad :(

Oh, and I can't remember how to double air hike. Help, anyone?

Devil May Cry 4 was weird. It was like drinking a sharp wine that you've been watching age for years...and at first you savour every bit and go for extra helpings. But after a while you get a knot in your stomach and it loses its appeal.

I still play DMC3 to this day, 4 hold no interest anymore. :(

Dahbomb

jett said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1S_VatHSsbM

SWEET MERCIFUL JESUS

Oh goddamnit why the fuck did my ps3 had to fucking crap out on me just when i'm playing dmc4
There's a massive difference in power between the first RI he does (which takes off like one gauge) and the Distorted RI he does later on.

This has been something of a debate lately on the boards whether or not this is a glitch or something meant by the developers. The developers did meant that activating or de-activating DT at a move would "juice it up" giving you a final bonus on the attack. However Distortion counts the power of a unDT move PLUS the move DT'd essentially increasing the power of a non-DT attack 2.5-3x at least. It's definitely overpowered, especially when you take into consideration that bosses like Bael/Berial who are susceptible to RI can be killed in 55 seconds.

Mugen

Banned
Dahbomb said:
There's a massive difference in power between the first RI he does (which takes off like one gauge) and the Distorted RI he does later on.

This has been something of a debate lately on the boards whether or not this is a glitch or something meant by the developers. The developers did meant that activating or de-activating DT at a move would "juice it up" giving you a final bonus on the attack. However Distortion counts the power of a unDT move PLUS the move DT'd essentially increasing the power of a non-DT attack 2.5-3x at least. It's definitely overpowered, especially when you take into consideration that bosses like Bael/Berial who are susceptible to RI can be killed in 55 seconds.

What makes you think Capcom intended this? There's no proof. There's also no proof that the "distortion" works by combining the normal attack + DT'ed attack damage.

Mugen

Banned
Mefisutoferesu said:
Has anyone seen if distortion works with super dante?

wtf, Super Dante has unlimited DT which is irrelevant. Distortion works by Activating/Deactivating DT with JF timing.

SMZC

Seiken said:

I could do that on Devil Hunter, but I can't pull it off on the higher difficulty settings. Am I missing something?

raYne

SMZC said:
I could do that on Devil Hunter, but I can't pull it off on the higher difficulty settings. Am I missing something?
You can only do it after they're knocked down (stunned). So you're just not doing enough damage.

Yoshichan

SMZC said:
Works in all difficulties :)

drohne

i've just started using that 'distortion' technique with real impact, and yeah...i seriously doubt the developers intended it. it's way too easy for something that does such ridiculous damage. i almost replicated that berial youtube video on my first try.

Lince

Banned
level 99 @ bloody palace, what the hell? there was a moment I thought it was a glitch making them bastards spawn for ever! and after some relax then came floor 101... Dante, he was insane but I was cheap :p I'm glad I made it into the world top 1000 and top 10 for my country, what a ride.

Top Bottom