• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
drohne said:
i've just started using that 'distortion' technique with real impact, and yeah...i seriously doubt the developers intended it. it's way too easy for something that does such ridiculous damage. i almost replicated that berial youtube video on my first try.
Same here. I started DRI'ing today and holy shit. Berial, Frosts, Blitzes, Mephistos and Mega Mephistos has never been this easy. Everything mentioned previously dies in one perfect DRI, except for Berial of course.

Mugen said:
wtf, Super Dante has unlimited DT which is irrelevant. Distortion works by Activating/Deactivating DT with JF timing.
Well, I ask because distortion still uses DT, with Super Dante it would be unlimited essentially. Also, if it isn't doable with SD, then that might suggest it was done on purpose...

comrade

Mefisutoferesu said:
Well, I ask because distortion still uses DT, with Super Dante it would be unlimited essentially. Also, if it isn't doable with SD, then that might suggest it was done on purpose...
It only requires activating or deactivating DT so of course it's doable with Super Dante since you can still activate/deactivate DT.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Does anyone know any other good attacks with Dante that you can Distort? I'm already getting tired of Real Impact :p

Dahbomb

Mugen said:
What makes you think Capcom intended this? There's no proof. There's also no proof that the "distortion" works by combining the normal attack + DT'ed attack damage.
Videos on Capcom's site showing off this effect with Stinger. It had a massive impact with double hit. This property applies to all physical moves with Dante.

Anyway I don't think the buff was supposed to be that absurd. I mean for most other moves it isn't game breaking but for Real Impact it is. Like if you distort something like Dance Macabre or Kick13 the effect isn't that ridiculous as it is with Real Impact. Not only that but it is easier to do with Real Impact. The hardest move to do Distortion is with Divine Dragon.

The pros say that technically it should be possible to Distort a Just Release because it registers as a physical attack. The problem is that the hit window for JR is SO NARROW that effectively distorting it is harder than actually performing Perfect Just Releases or doing Max Acts regularly.

doicare

Right i am offically saying i am now finshed with the game, i managed 950 out of 1000 achievement points and managed to rank in the top 20 overall for son of sparda difficulty and devil hunter difficulty, a top 20 overall for dante must die mode would break me :lol.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
whoo! just s-ranked dmd -- ranked ~400. next i've got to finish bloody palace, and then i think i'll finally move on to something else. i think this just pips chromehounds for my favorite game this gen.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
FUCK SECRET MISSION 9

SERIOUSLY fuck it.

i got them all except for that SHIT mission. i even did the dreadnought trick but everytime just when i try to kill the last bastard i get owned :(

ggp759

Banned
Sorry to ask but could not find this anywhere. How can i perform air streak? Don't know if that is the name though. am talking about the move where you hold R1 forward on the stick and press triangle. How can i do that in the air? Thanks.

drohne

it's called calibur, and once you've bought it, you hold r1 and hit back->forward+triangle while in the air

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Anyone have any tips on how to get the blue crystal shard at the top of the mineshaft in mission 3 (the one where you have to jump to a ledge/room you can't see on-screen)?

raYne

LunaticPuma said:
Anyone have any tips on how to get the blue crystal shard at the top of the mineshaft in mission 3 (the one where you have to jump to a ledge/room you can't see on-screen)?
You should be able to get it just by using the same snatch platforming. I forget the exact layout, but near the top it should be just: snatch, wall jump, snatch (90 degrees straight up), snatch, snatch, land.

The problem is that landing the jump at the end is a pain in the ass and pretty much pure luck. It's highly dependant on the angle you get from the last snatch. You can also try the Roulette Spin, if you have it, at the end for a little height boost.

drohne

there's another shard in that room, and i think that's the one he means -- i think i got it by streaking off the walkway leading to the exit, then using air hike, calibur, and roulette to get over to the platform. pain in the ass. probably easier to get it with dante using the pandora missile platform thing -- or dt'd trickster for that matter

slade

LunaticPuma said:

It's a complete pain in the ass to do with Nero. Come back to it when you're Dante with either a full Disaster Gauge on Pandora or Trickster levelled up all the way. Trickster levelled up all the way should give you two air dashes and two double jumps while you're Devil Triggered. It will make the whole thing much easier.

drohne

dmc4 why can't i quit you. i've got other games, but i don't feel like playing them. hell or hell is much easier than it sounds -- seems to be devil hunter difficulty, and you get three free yellow orbs per life. doesn't seem to keep track of rankings, so i can use super characters and continue all i like. i think i'll run through it. and i've only finished bloody palace with super nero, which is cheating, so i'll have to go back and do that properly. might just go for 1000/1000, as dull as some of those achievements seem. i'm at 700/1000 now.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
slade said:
It's a complete pain in the ass to do with Nero. Come back to it when you're Dante with either a full Disaster Gauge on Pandora or Trickster levelled up all the way. Trickster levelled up all the way should give you two air dashes and two double jumps while you're Devil Triggered. It will make the whole thing much easier.

This makes sense. I will have to try it out later. Thanks.

ggp759 said:
Sorry to ask but could not find this anywhere. How can i perform air streak? Don't know if that is the name though. am talking about the move where you hold R1 forward on the stick and press triangle. How can i do that in the air? Thanks.

Check out the library menu in-between mission via mission menu to read up on all these things with video demonstrations if you get stuck in the future.

Yoshichan

Okay, no one better not be touching me right now. Because I'm melting down like a fucking 1rtyh7fcujiskvdiouy78w2yhrufhnsvun zxjcn kjxfnvluizhg78yih8oaggvbikzx fojiozdxbujgvsifozdujgvb

Stage 97 Bloody Palace and GUESS FUCKING WHAT? FUCKING TIME LIMIT FUCKED ME. SO FUCKING IF8vhdiohnnxcm bxnxjkcgn0fghnlhgm

I'm not touching this shit game anymore, that's fucking it.

maskrider

Finally beat DMD, then use Super Dante to beat BP, ha ha !

Clocked almost 100 hours into the game.

dmc4-dmd-clear.jpg

dmc4-dmd-clear-bonus.jpg

Dark Dante
dmc4-bp-ddante-1.jpg

dmc4-bp-ddante-2.jpg

BobM

Hey guys, i need some help. I want to trade my 360 DMC4 for the PS3 version. I have an HD tv that only has 1080i, and so alot of PS3 games still play in 480p. So i need to know if DMC4 is upscaled or plays in 1080i or will it play in 480p?
I only want the PS3 version if i can play it in 1080i HD as 480p looks like shit in comparison.
You cant always go by the back of the box, as alot of games that are labeled as 720p play fine in 1080i.

Thanks in advance for your help!

ezekial45

Banned
Himuro said:
How many missions in DMC4 are there? My friend is borrowing it from another friend and we're playing through it together on my 360. We plan on beating it today if possible.

We're on devil hunter mode or whatever and so far it's like beyond easy and we're up to mission 5 with Nero. Does it pick up soon?

20 missions. Yes it picks up on Mission 5. More so around missions 6 and 7.

slade

Himuro said:
How many missions in DMC4 are there? My friend is borrowing it from another friend and we're playing through it together on my 360. We plan on beating it today if possible.

We're on devil hunter mode or whatever and so far it's like beyond easy and we're up to mission 5 with Nero. Does it pick up soon?

It won't pick up until you're on Dante Must Die and even then, it's fairly easy. Capcom dropped the ball when it came to difficulty.

Vieo

I expected more out of this game. I think it's the fact that
you play as Nero for most of the game when I would rather be playing as Dante
. I downloaded the Uncharted Demo last night and was in awe. Definitely should of made Uncharted my first PS3 game.

edit:
Also, DMC4 didn't feel "next-gen" enough. It felt like DMC3 HD.

Vieo said:
I expected more out of this game. I think it's the fact that
you play as Nero for most of the game when I would rather be playing as Dante
. I downloaded the Uncharted Demo last night and was in awe. Definitely should of made Uncharted my first PS3 game.

Yes,,, get it. You will love it.

Yoshichan

Vieo said:
edit:
Also, DMC4 didn't feel "next-gen" enough. It felt like DMC3 HD.
You're stupid.

Himuro said:
This game is so disappointing.

There are so many game design issues here. You backtrack constantly, there are some horrible platforming sections where you have to fight the enemies over and over again if you happen to fall, and Dante even goes through the same levels as Nero...fighting the same bosses in turn. It's like Capcom didn't put much effort into the game at all. It also feels last gen in many areas. Capcom can do much better than this.

I'm fighting the same types of enemies over and over with little to no attack patterns or aggression even on hard mode. They'll just stand there, and I'll get an easy S ranking. This is pretty disappointing so far. I know that Capcom wanted to make DMC more appealling for the people who found DMC3 too hard (I even found that too easy on hard mode, DMD was manageable but not ball bustingly hard), but some balance would have been nice.

I'll beat it on all the modes for achievements though. I just hope the game is better on Dante Must Die mode or something, because this is kind of meh. At the end of the day, I keep thinking,"Man, I'd rather play God Hand than this", which is a universally superior action game on all fronts aside from graphics.
If I loved Ninja Gaiden and kinda loved Devil May Cry 1 and 3, do you think I would like this game?

raheel87

I stopped playing when you start with Dante and you have to jump through the lasers. I died over four times and I couldn't continue after that I just got too pissed off. To be fair I wasn't really feeling the game from the beginning but that part just pushed it over the edge. Stupid game design to the max.

Yoshichan

raheel87 said:
I stopped playing when you start with Dante and you have to jump through the lasers. I died over four times and I couldn't continue after that I just got too pissed off.
:lol

Drewsy

Banned
Himuro said:
This is retarded. Some of the game design decisions in this game just leave me scratching my head. Capcom, what the hell happened?

Either way, I think I've grown out of DMC. It's just so...flat. All I'm doing are combos, and the whole offense as a defense stance doesn't appeal to me when it comes to games like this anymore it seems. I need more meat than just combos.

oh, himu :lol

What you just described is Ninja Gaiden. Which I think you'd love if you stop spamming flying swallow.

Won

Can someone explain to me why Bloody Palace is so damn long? Failed today on Level 89 and don't like the idea to invest over 90 mins to get back to the challenging (for me) part.

mackmoney

Himuro said:
This game is so disappointing.

I like DMC 4 but I agree. I loved DMC 1 and 3 but probably burned out on DMC 3:SE. DMC 4 is probably marginally better than 3 but did not advance the series to the extent that would have been necessary to keep this game fresh. I don't think DMC 4 is a bad game, but it's not a great game.

Drewsy

Banned
Himuro said:
Well, Ninja Gaiden isn't my cup of tea. It's good but like...I just get tired of the whole block, block, block, roll, block, roll thing.

You're selling it a bit short again, it really is much deeper than that. But whatever, I'm not gonna exhaust myself trying to sell you on the game. You say Tomato, I say "Tomahto". etc etc...

If you want reading material on how deep the combat can get, here you go: http://www.iberiansngrealm.com/FAQS_Guides/ninja_gaiden_black_advcombat.aaxe.txt

Dave1988

Himuro said:
I'm not selling it short, I'm just saying the flow isn't my thang. That said, I'm 100% sure NG2 will be better than DMC4 and I'm going to give it a shot.

As much as I hate to say it, this is true. DMC4 fucked so much up it isn't even funny :/

jett

D-Member
Himuro said:
I don't see how it's better than 3, myself.

Because the combat mechanics, what actually matters, are orders of magnitudes better in DMC4. Yeah the repeating bosses and stages are a drag, but the core gameplay is still fucking awesome, so I didn't mind that much.

Pachinko

I see the GAF retcon squad is out in full force today. So DMC4 isnt' worth picking up at all now then ? I should just rent it eh ? I see tons of used copies at ebgames now as well.

Draft

Actually in DMC3 you could pick from one style and 2 weapons the entire game. The rest got stored in the God of Time's loincloth.

Top Bottom