• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Fixed2BeBroken said:
huh? did i miss something?

there are the 2 different parts to the demo, the regular timed level an the boss fight.

USD said:
Revving up the standard way is useless, but you can charge it up a single level while attacking if you hit the exceed button in the right frame window. With perfect timing, you could have Red Queen permanently in exceed. That's what really separates Nero and Dante.

oh, I didnt know that.

I would try it out but I already deleted to the demo so I wont be tempted to keep playing, ill wait for the full game to go totally crazy on it.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Well, yeah. Of course, no less. I mean when you're fighting shit who is really paying attention to minute differences, at best, in textures, filtering, shadows, enemy penis length, etc.? It's ridiculous. Fun, I guess, to see how they stack up but to run it into the ground over like 7 pages of thread is just a waste of time.

edit *looks at thread size* by 7 pages I really meant 15.

darkX10 is.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Beat Berial, then saw the coming soon screen. felt shitty, i want to play more :lol

Rumble in this game is awesome btw (Playing PS3 version) game looks amazingly awesome (running in 720P on a 1080P 40" tv), FULL HDMI crushed blacks EXTREMELY, disabled it because my tv has hdmi black level setting. CAN-NOT-WAIT.

maskrider

Fixed2BeBroken said:
huh? did i miss something?

(post again) edit: some posts late already, hah !

2 parts

24pf2va.jpg

Dr_Cogent said:
I can't even hardly see a difference between the two. I think you people are splitting hairs at this point.

Some people are more sensitive to these things than others, can't you accept that? We all the world differently, we don't all see the same exact shade of red, some of us have sharper vision etc... It's not just a psychological thing, but actual physical make up. On top of that some of us have bigger screens where such things might be amplified.

USD

Also, I like the Devil Bringer, especially for Snatch, being able to pull enemies towards you is probably the best move in the game.

BojTrek

Banned
I have the X-Box 360 and PS3 sitting next to each other... I bought the 40" Sony BRAVIA XBR KDL-40XBR4 LCD TV and WOW!

I downloaded the X-Box 360 version and this game is freaking beautiful... the graphics are awe inspiring... I love Capcom!

I have never played Devil May Cry I-III, so this looks fun... the enemies are kind of waiting for me to kill them... I like the destructible chairs, tables, shelves...

Going from room to room was a quick load on the X-Box 360.

I will download the PS3 version to see the difference running it through HDMI and X-Box 360 is through component.

I iwll buy this game on Day 1... and guess which system? X-Box 360, cuz I love achievement points...

This demo is fuck awesome, and the game looks a lot better than I thought it would, I adore the architecture. And it's better in motion, 60fps goes a long way. Gameplay wise, it's Devil May Cry, what else is there to say.

Beat Berial on the first try (albeit with only one bar of life left). And I'm not even that hardcore of a DMC player. Reviewers are saying this game is too hard?

The demo is fun as hell. Can't wait for the full game.

-Rogue5-

I'm impressed...Surprised even. For all the talk about this being just another DMC game (don't get me wrong, it is) the combination of 60fps and gorgeous looking graphics makes it a pretty different experience... Kind of like how CoD4 feels so much better than most other FPSs even though it's essentially the same. Know what I mean?

Are those cutscenes in-engine/realtime? I can't tell (which is a compliment in itself, but I'd just like to know for curiosity's sake.)

MechaX

After some irritating ordeals of hunting for a Free Gold Trial pamplet and making a completely new e-mail account, I downloaded it this morning for the 360 and played it almost nonstop after getting out of class.

I only have brief impressions, but so far, it's overwhelmingly positive. Although the enemy AI really does "dance around Nero", as Itagaki put it, I can excuse this due to how this is a demo. Also, playing as Nero, tossing these enemies left and right is quite a satisfying feel. Hell, I would go as far as to say that I'll probably appreciate playing Nero much, much more than DMC3 Dante (Nero's Dropkick > All). And experimenting around with Just-Reving deepened the playability on this already short, but addictive demo.

The music is pretty meh. I can tell that this is going to be a staple for the custom soundtrack.

As for the controls, I had expected that the 360 controller would be nigh unplayable with the default control set by the way most people were talking of it. However, despite playing the entire DMC series on a dual shock, the 360 controller isn't really that bad. I'm not 100% how long fingers come into play, but the right bumper and the Y button wasn't really that much of an issue. Since remapping is in the full game, I guess you can't go wrong either way. But I'll probably remap taunt to one of the triggers or bumpers, because I love drop kicking things.

Day one.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
neojubei said:
He's not? oh wait who are we talking about again?
I like how people accused him of being a PS3 fanboy when he went out of his way to show the slowdowns on the 360 version of Burnout Paradise, and now that he shows some slight flaws in the PS3 version of DMC4 he's marked as a PS3 hater.
Gotta love fanboys.

Edit: Cutscenes are realtime of course.

chaostrophy said:
Beat Berial on the first try (albeit with only one bar of life left). And I'm not even that hardcore of a DMC player. Reviewers are saying this game is too hard?

The demo is fun as hell.

THUS, why your post is full of humor

Kyoufu

Fixed2BeBroken said:
THUS, why your post is full of humor

I'm not laughing. The game has even easier difficulty levels.

BTW I hate this thread. Full of idiots who aren't even playing the game.

pj

Banned
chaostrophy said:

The demo is fun as hell. Can't wait for the full game.

The demo is probably tuned way easier, so people don't get frustrated with it. I don't think I got hit once in the first part of the demo

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Blimblim said:
I like how people accused him of being a PS3 fanboy when he went out of his way to show the slowdowns on the 360 version of Burnout Paradise, and now that he shows some slight flaws in the PS3 version of DMC4 he's marked as a PS3 hater.
Gotta love fanboys.

I was actually being funny. I know he isn't a fanboy, but that blim guy hmmm. *snaps fingers in the air*

Dr_Cogent

Banned
memecomplex said:
Some people are more sensitive to these things than others, can't you accept that? We all the world differently, we don't all see the same exact shade of red, some of us have sharper vision etc... It's not just a psychological thing, but actual physical make up. On top of that some of us have bigger screens where such things might be amplified.

I'm pretty damn sensitive to visual anomolies in almost anything. I can see plenty of things my wife and others can't on the TV. The two versions look damn close to me, so IMO it appears to be nitpicking. I don't care if you guys are like that, but sometimes I think individuals here go way overboard on this shit.

Blimblim said:
Gotta love fanboys.

Allegiances are thin in this never ending war!

[Nintex]

Why choose the between awesome graphics and 60FPS when you can have both?
This is easily one the best looking games I've ever played.

-Rogue5-

[Nintex] said:
Why choose the between awesome graphics and 60FPS when you can have both?
This is easily one the best looking games I've ever played.

I don't know if it is just the 60fps though... That helps, but the game really looks sharp and the setting is wonderful.

After playing the demo I'm really excited about the game...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Dammit...how do you beat Berial. I have him down to 1/3 and can't stay alive since he destroys all the houses leaving me no green orbs.

Bebpo

Banned
One thing I've never liked about DMC4 is the size of the areas and speed that you move. In DMC3 you were in these tiny rooms and corridors and there was non-stop action. In DMC4 you might hit an enemy away outside your snatch reach and then spend the next few seconds getting closer to him. Not too mention you might finish some enemies and then have to walk a bit to get to the next group.

I wish they had mapped the run to a button instead of auto after a few seconds. Game really needs a speed increase IMO.

Kyoufu

AlphaSnake said:
Dammit...how do you beat Berial. I have him down to 1/3 and can't stay alive since he destroys all the houses leaving me no green orbs.

Jump cancel the flames on his head. When you see yourself dropping to the floor, use your devil arm to reach back to the head, keep attacking. Once the flames are down, use your devil arm to slam him, and once again.

His first attack that you need to worry about is the burst of rocks he hurls at you. You can either dodge roll it or jump (I suggest jump).

His second attack that you need to worry about is the lava he spews from underneath Nero. Avoid these by dodge rolling all 3, jumping away or simply keep running in one direction (I suggest running, but you may be caught off guard if you arent prepared).

Then continue the onslaught of aerial attacks on his head. The second round of grabs will kill him.

Really simple once you know how to evade his attacks.

Bebpo said:
I wish they had mapped the run to a button instead of auto after a few seconds. Game really needs a speed increase IMO.

Agreed 100%. Even with the Devil Bringer I still find enemies being hurled out of my reach (forcing me to run over and open with Forward+/\ Streak)

Thats why I like Dark Slayer style so much. I can instantly teleport near an enemy and keep the onslaught coming. Can't wait to play the full game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Bebpo said:
One thing I've never liked about DMC4 is the size of the areas and speed that you move. In DMC3 you were in these tiny rooms and corridors and there was non-stop action. In DMC4 you might hit an enemy away outside your snatch reach and then spend the next few seconds getting closer to him. Not too mention you might finish some enemies and then have to walk a bit to get to the next group.

You'll be able to upgrade the sword thrust attack I'm sure. Lunge far greater distances than what is offered in the demo, so you can keep that juggle push going. It's always been one of the primary go-to ability upgrades in the entire series.

Clevinger

chaostrophy said:

It's a demo, they don't want to scare away new players with the difficulty.

C- Warrior said:
The DMC3 demo was a lot more crazier than the DMC4 demo.

I think DMC4 appeals more to those who loved DMC1, but didn't care for much DMC2 or DMC3.

DMC4 has more of a calmer, artistic beauty, yet when the combat explodes it explodes very well.

DMC3, everything was fucking exploding, all the goddamn time, and this didn't appeal to some (the high difficulty level didn't either).

Fans of DMC1 will love DMC4. (based off the demo, naturally)

Fans of DMC3 will enjoy DMC4, I'm sure, but not as much as the DMC1 fans would I don't think.

But then, Dante in DMC4 plays like Dante in DMC3, but with on the fly style switch.

So maybe capcom designed the first half of DMC4 to appeal to DMC1 fans, and the 2nd half to appeal to DMC3 fans. The difficulty ramp up, character change, all point to this aspect.

I like this comparision alot and count me as a person who always loved DMC1 the best

-Rogue5- said:
I don't know if it is just the 60fps though... I mean, yeah, that helps, but I think UE3's strengths really work in this type of setting. Worked well in Gears, but it's far better here; not dramatically different from GeoW, but when coupled with 60fps it sure as sh*t feels that way.

After playing the demo I'm really excited about the game...

ue3? this game uses the framework engine that was used in lost planet and dead rising

Viewt

An easy trick for beating the boss is using the Devil Bringer to target his head, launch yourself into the air, and land behind him. You'll be out of his way, so you won't get hit by his sword, and you'll be able to just spam Y (or triangle) on his ass, literally.

That's how I did it the first time, anyway.

Loved it.

Nero felt weird to control at first, but once you get a grip of the Devil Bringer it's all good.

Oh and WTF at the music and some sound effects being the same used in DMC3.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I wish they had that one DMC3 battle music song ("To take me out you must fight like a man"). I loooove that song.

harSon

Banned
Viewt said:
An easy trick for beating the boss is using the Devil Bringer to target his head, launch yourself into the air, and land behind him. You'll be out of his way, so you won't get hit by his sword, and you'll be able to just spam Y (or triangle) on his ass, literally.

That's how I did it the first time, anyway.

Yup... way to easy.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't know where to go on this -- while the 360 version has better textures and aa, the only difference i'd actually be able to spot while playing is the missing shader on the frosts. i guess i'll download the ps3 version tonight and compare for myself.

Only had time to try the 360 demo and not the PS3.

So...impressions. It's Devil May Cry. That's a good thing. It's smooth and reasonably pretty.

Downsides. I find the controls really awkward for some reason. I'd prefer the lock on button to be the right trigger as opposed to the right bumper but maybe there's another use for the right trigger button later on. I just found the whole jump,gun, swordy, glovey button layout counter-intuitive.

The other downside. It's Devil May Cry. It seems like there's very little evolution went on when compared to the previous three. I haven't played a DMC game in about two and a half years and I've realized that I've definitely moved past that kind of gameplay that also includes dodgy camera angles.

It didn't suck but I doubt it will be a purchase.

Bebpo

Banned
Just tried the X360 version demo. Controls like shit compared to the PS3 pad and doing intense stuff with all the buttons L2+R1+X+Y+A+B is not comfortable.

But man does it look better on my set :( The PS3 one is blurry as hell and the X360 one is sharp and HD looking. I expected better from Capcom tbh. IIRC the E3 version was missing this blur filter and was sharp and jaggy like DMC3. I would have preferred that.

Not sure which I'll get now. If I grow more used to the X360 pad I might cancel my PS3 pre-order.

Beavertown

Garbage
Didn't like it. I'm not a very big fan of these types of games though. Except for God of War and Ninja Gaiden.

I didn't like the feel of the game or the enemies, or the camera. Graphics were nice though, except for the few enemies shown, which were craptastic models.

BojTrek said:
I have the X-Box 360 and PS3 sitting next to each other... I bought the 40" Sony BRAVIA XBR KDL-40XBR4 LCD TV and WOW!

I downloaded the X-Box 360 version and this game is freaking beautiful... the graphics are awe inspiring... I love Capcom!

I have never played Devil May Cry I-III, so this looks fun... the enemies are kind of waiting for me to kill them... I like the destructible chairs, tables, shelves...

Going from room to room was a quick load on the X-Box 360.

I will download the PS3 version to see the difference running it through HDMI and X-Box 360 is through component.

I iwll buy this game on Day 1... and guess which system? X-Box 360, cuz I love achievement points...

360ach.jpg
:lol

Top Bottom