• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Greg said:
Has anyone commented on the replay value of the full game in reviews? DMC3 was absolutely amazing with that considering all the stances/upgrades.

I'm assuming the same goes for DMC4, but I'd like to confirm it before I purchase it rather than just rent it for a quick run through the SP.

Demo was amazing - seemed a tad slower than DMC3, but I really enjoyed it.

Shane was talking about it on 1up Yours a bit. Apparently you unlock some crazy new weapon when you beat the game, which made him want to play through it again.

jaaz

Teknoman said:
http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/DMC4/DMC4_01_ps3.png

I refuse to believe this. Seriously, either that person's PS3 visual settings are getting switched over without him knowing or something.

Or he could simply be trolling the PS3 version. All he has to do is decrease the sharpness settings to 0 on whatever TV he's using when he takes the shot of the PS3 version. Then, he sits back and laughs watching the fanboys duke it out.

Bebpo

Banned
sprocket said:
its not worth arguing over. The 360 fanboys are going to keep going and do what ever to make the 360 version "STUPERIOR" (not a typo).

Or the SDF will keep defending it as identical when it's clearly not.

I want the PS3 version to be identical. I have the JPN version pre-ordered to get it next thursday. I like the DS3 MUCH better and I'd rather play it on my system which will not FREEZE during levels. But the X360 version looks like a normal HD game with sharp textures and the PS3 version looks like the same game with a blur filter on like FFXII's blur filter. I hate not seeing things sharply, that's why I bought an HDTV and HD consoles, to get sharp detailed images.

LJ11

EnjoyIncubus said:
Shane was talking about it on 1up Yours a bit. Apparently you unlock some crazy new weapon when you beat the game, which made him want to play through it again.

I don't believe you unlock it, but you get to use it late in the game so it draws you in for another replay, or it may not.

Those pics give the edge to the 360, but I couldn't see a major difference in the Dot/Gamersyde vid. I'll just play both and decide.

kurahadol

The wait to play this demo is killing me. I'm here sitting on school campus because I have to meet up for some group project in an hour. With my luck this meeting is going to run insanely long. Damn you God, quit playing games with my heart.

TheDuce22 said:
The odds of this looking better on PS3 are slim given capcoms history this generation.
You mean with ports?...

Speaking of which, I think I noticed some motion blur ala Lost Planet. Dunno why the PS3 version of Lost Planet doesn't have it.

Or am I just seeing things that aren't there?

Kyoufu said:
Shoot will be L1 for me, just like in DMC3. I can charge it whilst attacking, but can I ask, why is blue rose worth using? So far I don't see a reason to use it. Is it upgradeable in the full game?

That's why I said I'm not sure if its worth it. In fact it probably isn't worth it at all without significant upgrade =(. The only thing that I've found any real use for it thus far is some small level in crowd control. For example while working on a particular enemy, if another one is approaching you can target that enemy and blast him away using that charged shot, then continue to work on whoever you were dealing with before without having to to sacrifice whatever positioning you have at that moment. Thus far its been more trouble than its worth for me though :(.

Teknoman

SupahBlah said:
The demo doesn't have 1080i, it outputs at 480p instead. (at least on the ps3)

Maybe that would explain the picture comparison? I dont think anyone would go to THAT big of an extent just to troll you know? Then again, I dunno how someone couldnt tell their TV just changed over from an HD res to progressive scan.

Ashhong

SupahBlah said:
I would be highly, highly surprised if it doesn't.

I was highly, highly surprised when Burnout Paradise and Rock Band didn't. I mean, wtf, Harmonix can't just make it 1080i? Not like it's graphically straining.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE >:D

The little grabby move is FUCKING. AWESOME. I'm pulling off combos I would have never dreamed of in DMC3. And the charge up! Oh my! I take out two baddies at once then charge up my sword than take out the remaining three with one crashing blow.

Love. Love love loveloveloveovleoveve

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
sprocket said:
its not worth arguing over. The 360 fanboys are going to keep going and do what ever to make the 360 version "STUPERIOR" (not a typo).

Maybe you just have an inferiority complex? I guess when Burnout was shown to have a few issues on the 360, you didn't want any part of that did you? Some people just can't handle objectivity. Those people (you) have inferiority complexes.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
jaaz said:
Or he could simply be trolling the PS3 version. All he has to do is decrease the sharpness settings to 0 on whatever TV he's using when he takes the shot of the PS3 version. Then, he sits back and laughs watching the fanboys duke it out.

You do know a sharpness setting of 0 is often times preferred as the correct picture, right? Some TVs even gasp....go in the negatives. Maybe you should know a little more before sounding stupid.

DJ Sl4m said:
My impressions of the demo, other should post theirs as well.

Graphics: Pretty good considering the framerate, although there is a great deal of shimmering at times and other times there are very subpar textures. Overall it's a mixed bag. 7.5/10

Music: The music is atrocious, thank god we have custom sound tracks to save the game. Music is a non factor unless you prefer video game tunes :chuckle

Control: Everything controls smoothly, but WTF is up with the jump button being the same as opening doors ? It's not always clear to me which door/gate can be opened being that I'm new to the series. Jumping in front of each door/gate until I find the correct one to enter looks silly as hell. :lol This is probably just my fault considering I'm a newb at the series.

Camera: the control is Very limited and poor. Your stuck in static views ALA Resident Evil in stairways and hallways. tsk tsk, not good at all.

AI: There is none, it's a brainless button masher. A little bit of AI would have gone a LONG way, I mean seriously this is UNACCEPTABLE!! There is litterally NO challange in the demo, sure it may get harder later with a few boss fights or throwing more enemies at you at once, but these horribly shaped monstrosities are poor excuses for enemy charachters with ZERO AI.

Gameplay: 4/10 This isn't next gen gameplay at all, in fact it would have bored me to death last gen as well.

Overall: 5/10

Let's hear other impressions on the demo, I understand it can be fixed a little before release of the full game, but so far I'm not liking it at all. I'm going to pass on purchasing this last gen gameplay.

its a Demo, its probably set at an easy setting to not discourage new people from the series.

sprocket

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Maybe you just have an inferiority complex? I guess when Burnout was shown to have a few issues on the 360, you didn't want any part of that did you? Some people just can't handle objectivity. Those people (you) have inferiority complexes.

I think you have that backwards. I see the people who make things bigger than themselves because they have inferiority issues and it infuriates me. :lol I m like that with anything... racism.. religious people.. people who obsess about money.. ect. Which is why I came in said what I saw and left.

Bebpo

Banned
I wonder if the difference or non-difference between the two versions is an indicator of all multiplatform Capcom games for the rest of the gen, since they use the same engine.

Xun

Pretty fucking amazing. I'll most likely change the controllers though, since I can't stand using the bumper for lock on.

Day 1.

sprocket

Banned
Bebpo said:
I wonder if the difference or non-difference between the two versions is an indicator of all multiplatform Capcom games for the rest of the gen, since they use the same engine.

Probably .. As much as it cost ot make these games now days I doubt you will ever see any multiconsole ports look vastly better than the other with any company. Its just not worth the time and money.

Teknoman

Ok DJ Sl4m, I can understand someone not liking DMC4's music (well actually I cant...but still), however calling it a brainless button basher? Thats just not right at all.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DJ Sl4m said:
My impressions of the demo, other should post theirs as well.

Graphics: Pretty good considering the framerate, although there is a great deal of shimmering at times and other times there are very subpar textures. Overall it's a mixed bag. 7.5/10

Music: The music is atrocious, thank god we have custom sound tracks to save the game. Music is a non factor unless you prefer video game tunes :chuckle

Control: Everything controls smoothly, but WTF is up with the jump button being the same as opening doors ? It's not always clear to me which door/gate can be opened being that I'm new to the series. Jumping in front of each door/gate until I find the correct one to enter looks silly as hell. :lol This is probably just my fault considering I'm a newb at the series.

Camera: the control is Very limited and poor. Your stuck in static views ALA Resident Evil in stairways and hallways. tsk tsk, not good at all.

AI: There is none, it's a brainless button masher. A little bit of AI would have gone a LONG way, I mean seriously this is UNACCEPTABLE!! There is litterally NO challange in the demo, sure it may get harder later with a few boss fights or throwing more enemies at you at once, but these horribly shaped monstrosities are poor excuses for enemy charachters with ZERO AI.

Gameplay: 4/10 This isn't next gen gameplay at all, in fact it would have bored me to death last gen as well.

Overall: 5/10

Let's hear other impressions on the demo, I understand it can be fixed a little before release of the full game, but so far I'm not liking it at all. I'm going to pass on purchasing this last gen gameplay.

Bwhahaha. That's fine son, now go. Go and play your next gen Gears of War.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I must have a magical TV [or it is just calibrated good by me] because i dont see a clear difference and they are both not blurry here. Im glad i can enjoy games for what they are :)

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
sprocket said:
I think you have that backwards. I see the people who make things bigger than themselves because they have inferiority issues and it infuriates me. :lol I m like that with anything... racism.. religious people.. people who obsess about money.. ect. Which is why I came in said what I saw and left.

That's funny, because you didn't say what you saw and leave. You commented twice, both about the same thing. Where were you commenting on this during the Burnout discussion? Where were you saying the PS3 fanboys should just stop? That's right....nowhere. The first step is admitting.

kurahadol

squatingyeti said:
That's funny, because you didn't say what you saw and leave. You commented twice, both about the same thing. Where were you commenting on this during the Burnout discussion? Where were you saying the PS3 fanboys should just stop? That's right....nowhere. The first step is admitting.

Devil May Cry > Burnout

Pretty much sums it up.

EktorPR

I haven't even played the demo and am already sickened by the fucking visual comparisons between the two versions. This is fucking pathetic.

bluheim

Banned
Tiduz said:
I must have a magical TV [or it is just calibrated good by me] because i dont see a clear difference and they are both not blurry here. Im glad i can enjoy games for what they are :)

Don't have a 360 to compare, but on my set, 720p, the game doesn't look like the above pictures at all : it is very sharp and looking fine (not great, it is still far from Uncharted or Ratchet).

gkryhewy

squatingyeti said:

Dude's a hypocrite - I remember him being rather smug about the slight graphical enhancements in the PS3 version of Oblivion last year.

EktorPR

bluheim said:
Don't have a 360 to compare, but on my set, 720p, the game doesn't look like the above pictures at all : it is very sharp and looking fine (not great, it is still far from Uncharted or Ratchet).

"far"? Shit. :/

sprocket

Banned
squatingyeti said:

I was arguing against the 360 fanboys who were trying their hardest to make their version better just like here now! lol.

Its the same fight.

Atrophis

Finally got to play it. Only the 360 demo so far but looks beautiful.

Does comfirm i royally SUCK at DMC. So, so bad. Got berial to about 1/3 before dieing but i didnt care, i was still in awe at his cool as fuck intro :D

Didnt have any issues with the controller tbh.

Just ordered the game, hopefully i get further in it than i did in DMC3...

sprocket

Banned
gkrykewy said:
Dude's a hypocrite - I remember him being rather smug about the slight graphical enhancements in the PS3 version of Oblivion last year.

I didn't even post here last year. :/ but again same story 360 fanboys trying their hardest to make their oblivion better.

same fight.

Lefty42o

Banned
sprocket said:
I didn't even post here last year. :/ but again same story 360 fanboys trying their hardest to make their oblivion better.

same fight.

thats all i am saying :lol

DJ Sl4m

EnjoyIncubus said:
What does that even mean?

It means there is absolutely Zero AI, none at all. Most next gen games on PS3 & 360 have enemies with decent AI. The slow plodding enemies in the demo have none at all. There are not a challenge in the slightest and are almost not a threat either, it just seems like target practice to make the player feel cool while doing sweet uber hangtime combo moves against sitting ducks that move at a snails pace. But it is the demo and what I've played of it so far, maybe these creatures develop brain function and challenge as the game goes on ?

brandonh83 said:
It means that's one less reviewer to pay attention to from now on.

Yes, hopefully you will add me to your ignore list. It's much easier than finding out the game has last gen gameplay.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Well...it COULD mean he doesn't like the gameplay...just speculating here.

Correct, it just seems old hat. It's last gen gameplay with improved visuals. They could have added a litter better challenge in between boss's than throwing slow plodding dumb ridiculous looking things at the main character to fill in the action and make the player feel great doing combos with almost zero challenge until he reaches the next boss.

kurahadol said:
It means he sucks at the game.

What are you 12 years old ? What a ridiculous comment.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Tiduz said:
Tiduz, it's not the TV. You're just simply the man.

Top Bottom