• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Man those just frames are hard to master, Most of the time im just hitting melee and forgetting the ex. Is there a way to to just frame to max, cause from what I can tell when you melee+ex+melee+ex you only regain the ex you lost from the 2nd melee.

Lince

Banned
drohne said:
i don't know where to go on this -- while the 360 version has better textures and aa, the only difference i'd actually be able to spot while playing is the missing shader on the frosts. i guess i'll download the ps3 version tonight and compare for myself.

it's hard for us multiplatform users, so many questions... will the final code be different? is that the only shader missing? how about controllers, loading times? I know the two versions will be equally fun but whenever you have the chance you'd want to spend your money on the best choice available (the 360 CE version is 10 Euros cheaper btw, decisions...)

KTallguy

Banned
Just beat the demo.

Holy shit day one goodness.

It's come a loooooooooooooooooong way since I played it at TGS in 2006. Unbelievable.

Crisis

Banned
So I just tested this game on both my friend's 360 and my PS3 on the same TV. I honestly can't tell the fucking difference. If you can you are not playing the game right (or at all). Quit with the fanboy bullshit and enjoy the excellent game. Multiconsole owners just download both demos and pick whichever one plays better to you. Why can't we ever have a game thread for multiplatform that just once doesn't end in bullshit?

Bebpo said:
Just tried the X360 version demo. Controls like shit compared to the PS3 pad and doing intense stuff with all the buttons L2+R1+X+Y+A+B is not comfortable.

But man does it look better on my set :( The PS3 one is blurry as hell and the X360 one is sharp and HD looking. I expected better from Capcom tbh. IIRC the E3 version was missing this blur filter and was sharp and jaggy like DMC3. I would have preferred that.

Not sure which I'll get now. If I grow more used to the X360 pad I might cancel my PS3 pre-order.

this is the exact same problem i'm having in deciding which one to buy. the ps3 one just doesn't look as good as the 360 one. however the sixaxis was much easier to manage over the 360 pad at first. i eventually got used to using the 360 pad after awhile tho.

still i think the dual shock will probably be better for long play sessions.

Crisis said:
I honestly can't tell the fucking difference.

good for you. i can tell a difference and think it's fine to discuss it.

Cmagus

I wonder since the one part of the demo is timed I wonder if there is anything to be unlocked if you get through it within the time limit

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Cmagus said:
I wonder since the one part of the demo is timed I wonder if there is anything to be unlocked if you get through it within the time limit

i think not, as the demo is only 6xx mb.

DJ Sl4m

My impressions of the demo, other should post theirs as well.

Graphics: Pretty good considering the framerate, although there is a great deal of shimmering at times and other times there are very subpar textures. Overall it's a mixed bag. 7.5/10

Music: The music is atrocious, thank god we have custom sound tracks to save the game. Music is a non factor unless you prefer video game tunes :chuckle

Control: Everything controls smoothly, but WTF is up with the jump button being the same as opening doors ? It's not always clear to me which door/gate can be opened being that I'm new to the series. Jumping in front of each door/gate until I find the correct one to enter looks silly as hell. :lol This is probably just my fault considering I'm a newb at the series.

Camera: the control is Very limited and poor. Your stuck in static views ALA Resident Evil in stairways and hallways. tsk tsk, not good at all.

AI: There is none, it's a brainless button masher. A little bit of AI would have gone a LONG way, I mean seriously this is UNACCEPTABLE!! There is litterally NO challange in the demo, sure it may get harder later with a few boss fights or throwing more enemies at you at once, but these horribly shaped monstrosities are poor excuses for enemy charachters with ZERO AI.

Gameplay: 4/10 This isn't next gen gameplay at all, in fact it would have bored me to death last gen as well.

Overall: 5/10

Let's hear other impressions on the demo, I understand it can be fixed a little before release of the full game, but so far I'm not liking it at all. I'm going to pass on purchasing this last gen gameplay.

Kyoufu

Cmagus said:

There is nothing to be unlocked.

Control: Everything controls smoothly, but WTF is up with the jump button being the same as opening doors ? It's not always clear to me which door/gate can be opened being that I'm new to the series. Jumping in front of each door/gate until I find the correct one to enter looks silly as hell. :lol This is probably just my fault considering I'm a newb at the series.

The circle/B button is used to open doors actually. Jump is also used. I don't see why you're confused though, doors are clearly marked on your map.

KTallguy

Banned
brandonh83 said:
how so? what do you think changed the most?

Framerate, speed of combos, feel. I remembering it feeling a bit slow back then, but now it feels just a touch slower than DMC3. It was barely holding 30 fps then. Also the special effects look amazing.

After the AWESOME tips on page 17, I'm ready to try some just frame revving action!!! And taunting action! Jesus, I can't wait for this game!

KTallguy

Banned
DJ Sl4m said:

Weird, on PS3 this is not the case.

And also, this demo is pretty easy, of course. The full version will undoubtedly be much harder, and you can always bump up the difficulty. I think this is a case of Capcom toning down DMC3's difficulty just a tad, because it was a bit too hard. The AI is much more aggressive if you bump the difficulty up, but it's not like Ninja Gaiden at all, the defense to offense is like 25/75 in DMC, except on Bosses, where it's more 50/50.

Note: I have zero problems with blurryness on my set. It looks heavenly!

Minsc

Gold Member
http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/DMC4/DMC4_01_360.png
&
http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/DMC4/DMC4_01_ps3.png

Looks drastically different on my screen. PS3 png is a lot blurrier to me (textures). Particularly the floor and tower to the left. How anyone can't see the difference between those two shots just reinforces my belief that people don't care about HD as much as they say.

The average person probably could care less between those two shots though, but with any luck the PC version will look better than both.

KTallguy said:
Framerate, speed of combos, feel. I remembering it feeling a bit slow back then, but now it feels just a touch slower than DMC3. It was barely holding 30 fps then. Also the special effects look amazing.

After the AWESOME tips on page 17, I'm ready to try some just frame revving action!!! And taunting action! Jesus, I can't wait for this game!

Good to know, I've been playing DMC3 this week in preparation, and I do agree that the demo was just a tad slower... but that isn't really a bad thing. I think this one (based on the demo) plays a bit better than the other three. Just feels better, something about it.

Kyoufu

KTallguy said:

What? DMC has always been 60fps. I have no idea what you mean by "barely holding 30fps".

No offense but thats pure bullshit :p

edit: nevermind, misread.

brandonh83 said:
Good to know, I've been playing DMC3 this week in preparation, and I do agree that the demo was just a tad slower... but that isn't really a bad thing. I think this one (based on the demo) plays a bit better than the other three. Just feels better, something about it.

Maybe they'll be a hypermode like on DMC3. So is the US version up yet? Not a huge deal because the japan version is dl'd at home now. Just curious.

So I'm starting to nail the just frames with exceed pretty well now. Between launching guys in the air, snatches, etc there is a lot that he has to take guys out quickly. Right now I'm just debating on what my control scheme will be like in the full game. Particularly I'm wondering if I should do something with the shooting button, because between trying to execute those exceed chains with the sword combos, using snatch effectively, and etc...charging blue rose and inserting that charged shot into my combos is proving to be quite an annoying task. I'd like a setup where I can keep Rose charged comfortably while still being able to use exceed and sword combos.

Might be more trouble than its worth though :(.

careksims

Finally d/led fromg the Japanese PSN. I think it's incredible. 60fps makes a big difference. I wasn't into the previous DMCs, but I really like this one. I'm glad I picked up a DS3 last year. It just feels pretty good with the rumble.

I dunno about this blurry business. I don't even see it and as for the music? It suits it. I watch a lot of anime. Maybe that helps.

Kyoufu said:
What? DMC has always been 60fps. I have no idea what you mean by "barely holding 30fps".

No offense but thats pure bullshit :p

Think he's just talking about the last DMC4 build he played.

EnjoyIncubus said:
What does that even mean?

It means that's one less reviewer to pay attention to from now on.

Kyoufu

Dark FaZe said:
So I'm starting to nail the just frames with exceed pretty well now. Between launching guys in the air, snatches, etc there is a lot that he has to take guys out quickly. Right now I'm just debating on what my control scheme will be like in the full game. Particularly I'm wondering if I should do something with the shooting button, because between trying to execute those exceed chains with the sword combos, using snatch effectively, charging blue rose is proving to be quite an annoying task. I'd like a setup where I can keep Rose charged comfortably while still being able to use exceed and sword combos.

Might be more trouble than its worth though :(.

Shoot will be L1 for me, just like in DMC3. I can charge it whilst attacking, but can I ask, why is blue rose worth using? So far I don't see a reason to use it. Is it upgradeable in the full game?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't kill him. Now he's down to his final bar, and he just goes ape shit. Blocks everything and them smacks me away.

Goldrusher

Minsc said:
http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/DMC4/DMC4_01_360.png
&
http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/DMC4/DMC4_01_ps3.png

Looks drastically different on my screen. PS3 png is a lot blurrier to me (textures). Particularly the floor and tower to the left. How anyone can't see the difference between those two shots just reinforces my belief that people don't care about HD as much as they say.

The average person probably could care less between those two shots though, but with any luck the PC version will look better than both.

Looks like 360.png on my PS3.

Kyoufu

AlphaSnake said:
ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't kill him. Now he's down to his final bar, and he just goes ape shit. Blocks everything and them smacks me away.

He can't hit you if you're airborne j-cancelling his head. Basically, never touch the ground when you're attacking and you won't get hit by his sword strikes.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Bebpo said:
Just tried the X360 version demo. Controls like shit compared to the PS3 pad and doing intense stuff with all the buttons L2+R1+X+Y+A+B is not comfortable.

But man does it look better on my set :( The PS3 one is blurry as hell and the X360 one is sharp and HD looking. I expected better from Capcom tbh. IIRC the E3 version was missing this blur filter and was sharp and jaggy like DMC3. I would have preferred that.

Not sure which I'll get now. If I grow more used to the X360 pad I might cancel my PS3 pre-order.

It's probably just because you're used to the PS pad. I had no problems controlling the game and it felt perfectly fine to me, though if the final game lets you map buttons, I might make RT the lock on button. That was the only flaw I could have seen and it didn't really bug me anyway.

J-Rzez

BojTrek said:
I will download the PS3 version to see the difference running it through HDMI and X-Box 360 is through component.

Most certainly a difference running it through HDMI. I dunno if my hdtv just doesn't like component and thinks HDMI is pimp or what. All I know is, IQ is indeed better.

Anyways, the gameplay rocks. I'm definetly going to go with the CE edition as it'll be worth it since the demo really impressed me, and is just flat out DMC fun, and I want the soundtrack moreso heh. Looks pretty good overall too, really sharp looking game, not the best (seen much better texture/lighting work), but it looks good.

Some differences between both, and it's weird. Sometimes some mobs/objects look smoother on the 360, sometimes it's the PS3. Overall IQ seems better on the PS3 when in HDMI. The contrast/saturation just looks better overall. We tested it out at my friends place with his elite 360 so both were in HDMI. Then I tested it HDMI and Component at my place on the PS3, and there is an overall difference of course.

Demo really helped me decide which version I'm going with, the DS3 is just way better suited to the game, and I'll deal with an annoying 20min install to not have loading during gameplay. I like the IQ better on the PS3 as well, and I definetly can't pass up 5.1LPCM audio... Not on a game like this which I always loved the audio throughout the series. I <3 the music in this series especially.

Greg

Has anyone commented on the replay value of the full game in reviews? DMC3 was absolutely amazing with that considering all the stances/upgrades.

I'm assuming the same goes for DMC4, but I'd like to confirm it before I purchase it rather than just rent it for a quick run through the SP.

Demo was amazing - seemed a tad slower than DMC3, but I really enjoyed it.

Kyoufu

Greg said:
Has anyone commented on the replay value of the full game in reviews? DMC3 was absolutely amazing with that considering all the stances/upgrades.

I'm assuming the same goes for DMC4, but I'd like to confirm it before I purchase it rather than just rent it for a quick run through the SP.

Demo was amazing - seemed a tad slower than DMC3, but I really enjoyed it.

Seeing as how the styles have made it back (this time on the fly) why would replay value be any less?

Remember that you have Dark Slayer AND Nero's Devil Bringer to use too. This is an insane package.

Top Bottom