• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Seyavesh

character episodes would be cool if they were extremely polished/complete- like RE4 levels polishing. but i don't think that the breadth of options for the characters would carry very far under those constraints given that a small amount of time you get per episode. giving dante a huge amount of weapons if his chapter is only 2-4 hours long on a first playthrough feels like something they wouldn't do under the idea that you've only got that certain amount of gameplay time to work with when designing the campaign.

i dunno, there's a lot of potential for things to go wrong there too but ultimately what interests me is the combat system, the characters and the cutscenes so i guess i wouldn't be greatly against the idea?

I'm not really a fan of episodic content either, but thinking of the current state Capcom is in I wonder if it would please investors to release say a prologue where Vergil gets out of hell, followed by the full Dante Campaign as the main game (with some additional Vergil missions). I'm sure a Vergil prologue would sell like hot cakes.

Just looking at Capcom at the moment, seems like for the DLC characters for SFV they are dropping dimps in favor of cheaper in house development.. No deep down in sight, yet to reveal RE7, no other big shooters except SFV on the horizon...

Dahbomb

If they are going to do episodic content then go full crazy and do campaigns for each character. Dante, Vergil, Nero, Lady, Trish. If they can do legit 8-10 hour campaigns for each with unique movesets, weapons, locations, enemies/bosses, cutscenes and story... then yeah that would be nice.

It can be a good way to give each character their chance to shine and give character development. But that's IMO even more ambitious than making a single product.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm just not sure episodic works for DMC unless you're talking about having extra chapters to flesh out secondary or tertiary elements of the story as DLC post-release. The main reason why FFVII is going the installment route is because it's frankly a project that's too big for them. They want to tackle and flesh out elements and locations of the game that would have otherwise been impossible if they put it into a single release.

Preview Bloody Palace digital download is one thing. Breaking up the game into episodes is another entirely.

If they were going to do 8-10 hour campaigns for every single character, with completely different environments, story, and enemies, then they might as well make 5 completely separate games. The point of episodic releases is to cut down on development time and let them focus on the micro level. It's also additional revenue stream while they develop the game. Having 8-10 hour campaigns for each character would defeat the purpose.

I'm not really a fan of episodic content either, but thinking of the current state Capcom is in I wonder if it would please investors to release say a prologue where Vergil gets out of hell, followed by the full Dante Campaign as the main game (with some additional Vergil missions). I'm sure a Vergil prologue would sell like hot cakes.

Just looking at Capcom at the moment, seems like for the DLC characters for SFV they are dropping dimps in favor of cheaper in house development.. No deep down in sight, yet to reveal RE7, no other big shooters except SFV on the horizon...

I keep seeing the bolded, but I don't think I buy it. Capcom's not in dire straights here. They've taken on a number of new and fresh projects. RE7 is guaranteed. SFV is quite possibly the biggest launch they've ever attempted as a company. They announced RE2 Remake. Monster Hunter X is doing well. Dragon's Dogma is coming out on PC, like the fans have been asking for. They've been pretty quiet recently, but that doesn't mean they don't have plenty of things in the oven.

Where did you hear about them dropping Dimps? I wouldn't say that this is necessarily cheaper for them. In-house development is a huge internal burden of resources.

They've taken on exclusive partnerships, particularly with Sony, but this really isn't any different from their stance during most of the other generations of gaming.

Would be great if they did it like Resident Evil Revelations 2 style, that was amazing.

To me, RER2 was amazing, but its episodic format did nothing to enhance it. In fact, if nothing else, it was a deterrent for me. I waited until the whole thing was released. It seemed incredibly unnecessary, especially since the entire game was finished prior to release of the first episode.

Dahbomb

If they were going to do 8-10 hour campaigns for every single character, with completely different environments, story, and enemies, then they might as well make 5 completely separate games. The point of episodic releases is to cut down on development time and let them focus on the micro level. It's also additional revenue stream while they develop the game. Having 8-10 hour campaigns for each character would defeat the purpose.
I feel that once they nail down the mechanics, controls, the graphics engine, art assets... they can pump out content easier. And they can re-use SOME aspects for the campaigns.

Of course I am talking about a much bigger gap than RE:Revelations 2 here.

The dimps not being hired on is more speculation, because at Capcom cup they announced they would be taking up a lot of internal hires for SFV. Makes sense because they did USF4 in house, but just assumptions..

But tbh I don't know what else dimps would work on?
CvS3?

But the exclusive partnerships was because they need funding. Hopefully the remakes and remasters net Capcom dough to pump into DMC5, so Capcom doesn't skimp on the budget. Though from what it sounded like from the Rueben interview DMC3 didn't have that high of a budget... Is that true or was that just for voices + mocap that the budget wasn't high?

Dahbomb

Budget used to be a lot less for games back in the PS2 era.

It's still quite an accomplishment that Itsuno made DMC3. It was made in less than 2 years on a completely brand new, made from scratch engine (didn't use the DMC1 engine). All the while using cutting edge (at the time) motion capture technology for cutscenes and bringing talented stuntmen on board.

If the budget was low even for PS2 standards then that is just mind blowing to me. That pretty much tells me even more that something terrible happened in the DMC4 development that they had to scrap and start over then struggled to meet the deadline.

Okay I just sent this tweet:

#DMCFeedBack directly from fans to developers. @tomqe @DevilMayCry @Capcom_Unity @Capcom_UK @fingersmaloy

With our feedback embedded to it:
F8WZYOy.jpg

I would really appreciate it if some of you guys could do the same cause it would increase the chances of it being noticed.

Can anyone make a thread about this on the gaming side? We might get more support that way.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yep. Twitter, Facebook, Capcom Unity forums, PMing Gregaman on C-U and GAF. That should pretty much cover all the angles.

Dahbomb

Probably the best time to get feedback out is right now because a lot of things will have been finalized once they unveil it. Also after it's unveiled a lot of fans will come out of the wood works and give their own input which would mean that a lot of feedback would be lost in the shuffle.

Probably the best time to get feedback out is right now because a lot of things will have been finalized once they unveil it. Also after it's unveiled a lot of fans will come out of the wood works and give their own input which would mean that a lot of feedback would be lost in the shuffle.

Yeah that's actually the main reason that I wanted to send our feedback as soon as possible, cause they might be able to take more inspiration from it since they haven't announced anything yet.

PS: So, should we make a thread on gaming side about this? Can anyone do it? Since my English sucks I think it would be better if one of you guys did it.

Facebook maybe? I'm not sure since I don't use Facebook.

Capcom Unity forums is the next best thing.

Yep. Twitter, Facebook, Capcom Unity forums, PMing Gregaman on C-U and GAF. That should pretty much cover all the angles.

Capcom Unity could work.

*Nods*

Thanks, cause I don't considered myself a 'hardcore' so speaking from a more casual perspective I still agree with most of that feedback, but I would prioritized them differently.

Like Number 1 for me above all else is to make the control scheme more accessible and intuitive, but without sacrificing depth and identity. Number 2 would be a Training Mode to practice moves, Number 3 would be having a story that just starts something- a new chapter in DMC.

Stuff like increasingly insane difficulty modes would seem a bit much to me ^^;

Thanks, cause I don't considered myself a 'hardcore' so speaking from a more casual perspective I still agree with most of that feedback, but I would prioritized them differently.

Like Number 1 for me above all else is to make the control scheme more accessible and intuitive, but without sacrificing depth and identity. Number 2 would be a Training Mode to practice moves, Number 3 would be having a story that just starts something- a new chapter in DMC.

Stuff like increasingly insane difficulty modes would seem a bit much to me ^^;
Oh, it's not like that.

They are not really in any order (that's why I didn't use any numbers for them) so we didn't prioritized any of it. I just added them as I remembered each one or as others started suggesting them :)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah that's actually the main reason that I wanted to send our feedback as soon as possible, cause they might be able to take more inspiration from it since they haven't announced anything yet.

PS: So, should we make a thread on gaming side about this? Can anyone do this? Since my English sucks I think it would be better if one of you guys did it.

I'd sooner invite certain members to provide their feedback on the list rather than make an entire thread. At the risk of sounding negative, a thread willbe largely side tracked with impossible or impractical requests that will dilute the message.

At worst it can turn into another DMC v DmC thread.

The GAF UMVC3 patchlist was generated by the sub community and committee members who knew the game inside and out, and despite it not going anywhere I think it was a successful project.

Basically unless you're looking for additional feedback, creating a new thread won't get you any more awareness from the people that matter- Itsuno and the dev team.

EDIT: Just sent a tweet.

Dahbomb

No point in making a thread on the gaming side, would probably get locked anyway as it would be wishlist thread.

And yeah it will just turn into DMC2 vs DMC5 shitfest.

GregaMan

Neo Member
Hey guys, I see ya. Thanks very much for this. As you know, we don't have any plans or announcements for the series to confirm now, but no time is a bad time for general feedback, so this is great. I do have a few questions:

-Sorry if this was stated elsewhere in the thread, but how exactly was this feedback compiled? Is it specifically a poll of sentiment from fellow NeoGAF users? And do you have a rough estimate of how many people contributed feedback that was incorporated into this? To be sure, a lot of this feedback echoes sentiment I've seen far and wide, but there are at least a couple things I don't think I've seen elsewhere.

-Can you give an example of a "non-combat-related puzzle" previously featured in the series? You mean like, "find the thing and put it on the altar for the thing"?

-This is really just my own morbid curiosity, but what do you suppose it is that people dislike about the dice game? I sort of get it but can't seem to articulate it. Ultimately the worst thing that can happen is you are subjected to more fights, but that's all I want to do when I play the game anyway, y'know?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hey guys, I see ya. Thanks very much for this. As you know, we don't have any plans or announcements for the series to confirm now, but no time is a bad time for general feedback, so this is great. I do have a few questions:

-Sorry if this was stated elsewhere in the thread, but how exactly was this feedback compiled? Is it specifically a poll of sentiment from fellow NeoGAF users? And do you have a rough estimate of how many people contributed feedback that was incorporated into this? To be sure, a lot of this feedback echoes sentiment I've seen far and wide, but there are at least a couple things I don't think I've seen elsewhere.

-Can you give an example of a "non-combat-related puzzle" previously featured in the series? You mean like, "find the thing and put it on the altar for the thing"?

-This is really just my own morbid curiosity, but what do you suppose it is that people dislike about the dice game? I sort of get it but can't seem to articulate it. Ultimately the worst thing that can happen is you are subjected to more fights, but that's all I want to do when I play the game anyway, y'know?

Thanks for the response, Gregaman. Always appreciated!

-I think that feedback came mostly from this thread. We've also asked a few other GAFfers for their input, as well as adopted input that we've seen regularly on the forums. There wasn't an official thread made on this, though Son of Sparda did post it on a few DMC related threads. I'd say that direct written contributions were maybe 10 people or so? Son of Sparda probably has a better idea.

-The first thing that comes to mind for "non-combat-related puzzle" to me is the Gyro Blades. It's just needlessly trucking around a cumbersome "key". I think the development team thought that Gyro Blades were cooler than they actually are in the game. As it stands, they're just a mindless obstacle.

-For me, the Dice Game has two main problems: 1) for people who don't know the trick, it's random, and 2) even for people who know the trick, it's a momentum and pacing killer.

I know the die plays into Nero's "gambling" theme, but there just soooo much time wasted from striking the die, seeing it roll around, watching it flash, having the piece move, seeing the results... then watching the die slowly descend from the sky again. It's just a lot of downtime with very little enjoyable payoff. Gambling is about winning big and feeling a rush, after all. There's nothing really satisfying about the Dice Game. And I feel like part of this was deliberate, since Dante just destroys the Dice Game straight up, and you're supposed to relish how he isn't willing to put up with it.

Dahbomb

Thank you for taking the time and respong on GAF. I know you are more busy on Capcom Unity than on here so it's good to get some posts in here.

*Most of it compiled from NeoGAF, some suggestions from IGN DMC board (which is actually my native board), some from Gamefaqs, probably some from stuff on Capcom Unity. Basically whenever a good suggestion is made in another forum we bring it up here discuss it and add it if we feel it's a good idea. Son of Sparda can give a better representation of it though. I know for sure that some suggestions in there were stuff I picked up from other places so there's that.

If there is anything that you feel is out there or something you haven't seen before then let us know so we can explain it better.

*Stuff like moving around the Gyro to break doors, the dice puzzle or hit light switches in a certain order to make the door open up (from DMC3). Almost no one seems to like this sort of stuff because it kills the pace of the games. On the other hand people enjoy stuff like the Combat Adjudicators. Now we are not saying that we should have action non stop either, we know that having some down time in between combat is essential to any action medium (so when you do get the combat sections it's not monotonous)... it's just that most of us think that puzzles in between combat isn't the way to go. DmC did this better in that regard, it split up action with platforming although the platforming was too automatic for the taste of many.

*The first time the dice puzzle came most people didn't care much, it was really the 2nd one that made people really hate it. The mechanics of the dice puzzle weren't made clear to the user, by hitting it you can manipulate the rolls on it but most people thought it was random (and even then shooting it gives you a different result than striking it which made it even more non intuitive). The fact that it played a mini cutscene every time you rolled it was also really annoying. The worst part of the 2nd dice puzzle was that each section of the puzzle ended with a boss fight you had already fought twice already with no changes from before.

So the 2nd part of the dice puzzle served as a way to neuter the climax of the game by serving as a huge pace breaker while also being intertwined with an uninteresting boss gauntlet. You can't even use that mission all that well as a boss rush/practice mission because of the dice puzzle unlike the analogue from DMC3 where you can choose which boss you can fight in Mission#18.

On the topic of non combat related puzzles, what is the general impression for Riddles? Particularly the Sunlight/Shadow riddle in the DMC4 forest? I love a good riddle puzzle and thought was okay.

I think DMC1 had a Riddle puzzle as well? But I can't recall much.

Seyavesh

i'd rather do without puzzles or riddles or any shit to kill the pace of gameplay for me
i hate fucking platforming and backtracking and whatever in dmc3

i just wanna keep pumped and keep on shredding dudes and then have cool gimmick fights that use the environment cleverly to change up encounters alongside other stuff that keeps things fresh without utterly stopping me in my tracks to fart around looking for a key or solving overly long braindead simple puzzles

Mizerman

Puzzles are fine, as long as it's not clashing with the action of the game.

So if they can't seem to get it right, I think it would be best to remove it entirely.

Dahbomb

On the topic of non combat related puzzles, what is the general impression for Riddles? Particularly the Sunlight/Shadow riddle in the DMC4 forest? I love a good riddle puzzle and thought was okay.

I think DMC1 had a Riddle puzzle as well? But I can't recall much.
It had the dinosaur fossil riddle.

There was also the most valley riddle/puzzle area where you had to follow the white orb thing to get to the right path.

Hi Greg. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit us and post here, we really appreciate it.

Dahbomb and GuardianE already answered your second and third questions better than I ever could so I'm just gonna answer the first one.

I think it was around two months ago that we started this. I had the idea and shared it with the guys here and they were open to it so we slowly started gathering feedback and building the list. Every time one of us had some ideas they would say them and then we would discuss and decide to add them or not. Not only that but lots of the suggestions on the list are stuff that we've been talking about for months and years now. So, yeah lots of these suggestions are stuff that we've discussed a lot with different DMC fans (in different threads or forums) even before we started making the list.

As we gathered more feedback we actually had to change some of the suggestions on the list. For instance, "Bloody Palace Timer" was one of the things that at first we were suggesting it to be completely removed but then after gathering more feedback and opinions we decided to change it to be an option and not a complete removal. There were lots of other examples when something similar happened.

But like Dahbomb and GE said we mostly talked about this on GAF and on this thread (as GE mentioned I did bring this up on few other DMC related threads though so we have some feedback from gaming side as well) but as they mentioned we did actually scout other forums and communities and added feedback and suggestions from those places as well.

For example, I think one of the suggestions that might seem to be new and exclusive to this list is the one that asks for
new mode akin to "Another Drama" in which players get to see the daily lives of Dante and co.
While it may seem new but it's actually one of the suggestions that I've been seeing for years. People on other forums such as DMC.org have been asking so long to see more of daily lives of each character and to experience them to some degree. Fortunately, I'm a fan of Yakuza series as well, which incorporates the same idea in a way that really fits its series so I could provide that as an example for successfully using the idea.

So, yeah, while I didn't really count how many people gave direct feedback in this thread and from gaming side,(maybe like 15 or 20?) but the actual number should be higher since we looked and used suggestions from other places as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to post here, as I said before we really appreciate it.

DMC5 should have Nero dropped into a giant Roulette table for some jumping puzzles instead of a dice room. Alternatively just cut out the scenes of the dice falling and slowly flashing, and make the thing combo-able. S ranks break the dice and you continue on.

I find it hard to articulate as well, but I'll do my best.

It ends up (at best - using the trick) - a very bad/terrible traversal mechanic. You are basically waiting and hitting the dice 5 (or 6?) times in order to clear the room. No matter how easy or braindead it might be, it's:

- infinitely worse compared to a well-crafted platforming segment
- worse compared to DmC's easy automatic platforming. at the very least, it's colorful and vibrant
- about the same as MGS3's "the ladder," except that the ladder was an intentional break in the pacing

And that's assuming the best (you know the trick). if you don't know the trick, it's certainly worse.

ShinMaruku

DMC5 should have Nero dropped into a giant Roulette table for some jumping puzzles instead of a dice room. Alternatively just cut out the scenes of the dice falling and slowly flashing, and make the thing combo-able. S ranks break the dice and you continue on.

I love this idea.

Everything in that feedback image is pretty much exactly what I would like from the series. There are a few things I would like that I haven't seen mentioned before and are most likely something only I would want. A roguelike mode similar to that of The Binding of Isaac and a mode to play the game without checkpoints as the structure of the games are pretty much a metroidvania anyway.

The dice also seems like a waste of time on a repeat playthrough, especially when you do multiple in rapid succession.

Rean

What do you guys think of 'Shall Never Surrender" compared to "Devils Never Cry"? Personally, Devils Never Cry is my favorite, but I still really like Shall Never Surrender.

Shall Never Surrender needed more lines in the song. There are like only 4 lines to the song. Devils Never Cry has more depth to the lyrics, works on more than one level and is more directly related to the DMC3 themes. Truly one of the GOAT theme songs and best of all it gets you fucking pumped.
Yeah, it probably would've been better if they just took out the second part of the song and made it its own track.

Dahbomb

What do you guys think of 'Shall Never Surrender" compared to "Devils Never Cry"? Personally, Devils Never Cry is my favorite, but I still really like Shall Never Surrender.
Shall Never Surrender needed more lines in the song. There are like only 4 lines to the song. Devils Never Cry has more depth to the lyrics, works on more than one level and is more directly related to the DMC3 themes. Truly one of the GOAT theme songs and best of all it gets you fucking pumped.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Shall Never Surrender is nice, but doesn't hold a candle to Devils Never Cry for me. DMC3 did such a good job and remixing Devils Never Cry and keeping it as a consistent overarching theme throughout the entire game, all the way up through the final confrontation with Vergil.

Dahbomb

Real talk... I would not even mind if they went and made Devils Never Cry the official theme song of the entire series. Sort of like James Bond has that iconic theme.

If they play that song for DMC5... knees will be weakened.

Rean

I feel like someone suggested that they bring back Devils Never Cry when Son Of Sparda was still making that list, but its not on there.

Golnei

DMC3's theme is okay, and I do like how it's used in the Vergil boss themes, but the song itself doesn't do much for me. Though that's still better than Shall Never Surrender, which is fundamentally weaker on multiple levels.

Dahbomb

I feel like someone suggested that they bring back Devils Never Cry when Son Of Sparda was still making that list, but its not on there.
Even though I would love for it to be back, they probably shouldn't. It would be too much of a nostalgia cash grab. Maybe use it for a trailer but not for the main game.

Seyavesh

Even though I would love for it to be back, they probably shouldn't. It would be too much of a nostalgia cash grab. Maybe use it for a trailer but not for the main game.

fuck that, it's been ages since we've had real dante in a different environment

pump the shit out of that nostalgia
play it during the vergil fight or during a vergil teamup or lady teamup section or something

Shall Never Surrender was alright, but the first part gets old after hearing it for every enemy encounter (as Nero) in the game. Specific demons like the Frosts, Blitz and Assaults could have had their own theme.

Edit: best song is still Ultra Violet.

Golnei

Specific demons like the Frosts, Blitz and Assaults could have had their own theme.

Edit: best song is still Ultra Violet.

That could have worked in a similar way to how DMC1 used "Anarchy in the UW" - Baroque and Beats was set up to be DMC4's secondary battle theme, but it didn't see enough use.

I agree about Ultraviolet, though - DMC1's soundtrack still stands a considerable margin above everything else in the series. That theme, S, the Mundus battle and Red-Hot Juice are easily the best battle themes in the series. I miss Masami Ueda...

Someone did? I don't recall that, maybe I missed it, sorry.

But yeah I also think Devil's Never Cry is better than Shall Never Surrender. And like AgentLampshade said first part of Shall Never Surrender gets old pretty fast.

Real talk though I think Shall Never Surrender's lyrics were way more in line with the theme and story of DmC than DMC4. They have so much in common that it's as if Ninja Theory listened to the song and then decided to make a story around it :)

Last night I had the strangest dream ever. (well, besides the one that I had when I was 5 years old and was running from Nemesis in Raccoon city)

In my dream I was watching The Vampire Diaries when a red wearing guest character appeared and killed both Damon and Stefan. As you can guess he was Dante :)

Dante then went to some street where he met Gloria and a new (smoking hot) female character named Faith (or maybe it was Hope? I don't remember really well) who was a Asian girl that reminded me a lot of Evie from AC:S and pretty much had the same Assassin's Creed-ish outfit.

That's when at the left bottom of the screen a promo for "Devil May Cry Remake" appeared. The game was supposed to be a complete retelling of DMC1 with new visuals, modes, gameplay etc etc.

They showed a new mode where you could fight each character one on one in a 3D fighting style Ala Dead or Alive with guest characters like Ayane and other fighting characters.

Then they showed gameplay from Vergil's mode where he was sporting a new green outfit and they were calling him "The Dracula Vergil" or something like that. I don't remember much from this part but he was pretty badass as usual :D

They showed a section where Dante and Vergil were teaming up and destroying some parts of a castle (They had a new move where they both used their swords at the same time to cause massive damage).

There was Nero. And Faith had a few story and Gameplay parts as well but I can't really remember those anymore.

And at the end of the trailer they showed Q4 2017 as the release window. I remember having a pretty mixed up feeling about that since the game looked awesome but it also would mean that we wouldn't get DMC5 for at least 4-5 more years.

So, that was pretty much it. I don't know why I said this here but I just felt like I should :)

And before you ask, I haven't play DoA, AC, DMC or ME in a while and didn't watch TVD last night either :p

Top Bottom