• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Seyavesh

i forgot to mention platforming in dmc is the worst and they need to stop
i think instead of grabbing ifrit id skip it entirely if i could just so i didnt have to do the truly godawful platforming

though that'd make frosts unbearably annoying so hm

edit:
nah it'd still be worth it

Thats a pretty nice shirt.
Looks like iron-on-transfer-stolen-from-DeviantArt
Eh/

the disease is spreading

edit:
i guess i should post the rest of my dmc1 field trip:
i finished up the game- that mundus boss fight is pretty awful. like sanctus tier or whatever evil pope is called. boring + space harrier with inverted controls to make it annoying
after getting sparda i ended up just switching back to alastor anyways because it's way, way, WAY better than sparda in every single way
probably the most interesting thing about the game is how sparse red orbs are- it kinda reminds me of dmc3's progression in the early bits where you are barely getting anything except extended throughout the entire game
other notable stuff is how extremely short missions are once you know what to do and where to go and my increased confusion at the statement that the game has good pacing or really interesting combat/enemy design

to expound on the combat thing, i basically just shotgun hiked or grenade rolled my way through the entire game wondering when the challenge or interesting/unique encounters would come
really the only roadblock was the phantom 1 fight because i didnt realize that i could jump on him/attack his back without being hurt until phantom 2 so i killed his ass the slow way
even when i would take hits i generated DT at such an insane rate and kept an extremely low DT downtime that nothing ever really seemed to challenge me except oddly enough the initial phantom hallway encounters where i tried ot helm breaker him to death instead of using vortex to make him a joke

to conclude:
god sparda sucks so bad
man they've been re-using a lot of animations since DMC1/man dmc3 has a lot of dmc1 assets
shotgun hiking owns and grenade rolling trivializes the entire game including the big epic nelo angelo 3 fight which is really funny because i can imagine that played into how vergil does not give one flying fuck about kalina ann projectiles in dmc3's final fight/how kalina ann is the only gun with no royal guard cancel points
the ending bit where trish gives dante her power giving a cool yellow DT electric aura is neat.
devils never cry is superior to all other dmc themes
I like that word, 'expound'

But yeah, DMC1 is really eh. It's enjoyable but it's not aged that well.

It must be contained.
Bloody brilliant!

i forgot to mention platforming in dmc is the worst and they need to stop
i think instead of grabbing ifrit id skip it entirely if i could just so i didnt have to do the truly godawful platforming

though that'd make frosts unbearably annoying so hm

edit:
nah it'd still be worth it
DMC games really need to get rid of it's Resident Evil and Platforming heritage and just be it's on game. I like how DmC didn't have fixed camera angles and back tracking but instead was easily pushing for next levels and new story level progression rather than backtracking. Not to mention DmC did have platforming but the controls allowed for the platform to at least be manageable. That's not to say DMC1,2,3,4 platforming was hard(DMC 3and4 had hardly any) but 1 and especially 2 was just really odd.

Dahbomb

Man come back when you beat the bosses on DMD mode. That grenade tactic isn't going to work against Nelo 3 in DMD. Though it stills works as a DT builder.

Also people didn't know about grenade rolling until quite a while after playing the game. Most people didn't have concepts of action games back then like we do now. Like we didn't go into DMC trying to think of ways to cancel out of moves, we still tried to play it like a RE game lol.

Seyavesh

Man come back when you beat the bosses on DMD mode. That grenade tactic isn't going to work against Nelo 3 in DMD. Though it stills works as a DT builder.

Also people didn't know about grenade rolling until quite a while after playing the game. Most people didn't have concepts of action games back then like we do now. Like we didn't go into DMC trying to think of ways to cancel out of moves, we still tried to play it like a RE game lol.

well yeah, i can understand how it revolutionized stuff and how a lot of action games base their designs on what the game tries to achieve but as a modern statement it's just super bizarre to me

as for dmd nelo 3...i kinda wanna try it to see but also no mission select means that aint happening. what's even different about dmd bosses besides the obvious health boost? do they gain new attacks like in dmc3? i honestly can't imagine that fight being that hard but this is coming off dmd vergil 3 which is probably a bad metric to work off of, especially considering the latter is obviously a wildly built on version of the former

Dahbomb

Pretty sure Nelo Angelo 3 starts using Summoned swords way more often in the fight on DMD. That's the hardest part about the fight to be honest, when he perches on top of the area and starts pelting you with different sword formations, then puts them around him and comes to you.

Main difference between DMD mode and the rest of the modes is that enemies DT (which in this game is a pure timer, not related to you killing enemies), DT doesn't restore HP (it might still do but very little if it does) and most importantly DT specific moves are nerfed to the ground. Of course the bosses have more HP but they also hit like a truck so you die in like 2-3 hits at maximum HP bar (2 life bars).

Moves like Air Raid, Inferno did massive damage to bosses on Normal but on DMD they do pitiful damage. You could beat Phantom very, very easily by just spamming Air Raid but that does like chip damage on DMD mode. Grenade rolling against bosses in DMD is really just a way of getting DT gauge back which admittedly is still very cheesy. Against certain bosses I prefer the double handed taunt though.

i honestly can't imagine that fight being that hard but this is coming off dmd vergil 3 which is probably a bad metric to work off of, especially considering the latter is obviously a wildly built on version of the former

Personally, DMD Nelo 3 blows Vergil 3 out of the water in terms of difficulty. DMC3 allows you the benefit of a large amount of mobility e.g Trickster and it also allows you to get easy damage via the use of jump cancelling. Nelo does absurd amounts of damage and can easily stunlock you with a weapon that has stupid range. The summoned sword shenanigans that he pulls are equally stupid in their absurdity. Even with the use of cancelling Alastors combo via the analog roll , the vast amount of health he has means the fight lasts longer than it should which leads to more opportunities to make mistakes. 1 Mistake can end the fight.

Dahbomb

DMC1 is like what Souls games are now only if enemies/boss did way less damage on Normal modes.

When you are in DMD mode then it feels like you are playing The Old Hunters. You have limited movement and attack options, so the game play boils down to pattern recognition and proper dodging then chipping away at their HP.

Seyavesh

Personally, DMD Nelo 3 blows Vergil 3 out of the water in terms of difficulty. DMC3 allows you the benefit of a large amount of mobility e.g Trickster and it also allows you to get easy damage via the use of jump cancelling. Nelo does absurd amounts of damage and can easily stunlock you with a weapon that has stupid range. The summoned sword shenanigans that he pulls are equally stupid in their absurdity. Even with the use of cancelling Alastors combo via the analog roll , the vast amount of health he has means the fight lasts longer than it should which leads to more opportunities to make mistakes. 1 Mistake can end the fight.

interesting
damn, guess i oughta look for a file to try this fight out

also i forgot to put it in earlier but why does nobody ever mention the absolutely bizarre austin powers-like "DEVIL MAY CRY'S-A-ROCKIN DON'T COME-A-KNOCKIN BABY YEAH"

Seyavesh

Or you can just beat Hard mode, it takes like a couple of hours if you know where to go which you should by now anyway.
honestly i don't enjoy playing dmc1 at all
i don't know if it's just me but there is an extremely significant delay on most actions that feels really awful so going through a second time isn't really something that is appealing. i just want to see the brunt of the game in terms of difficulty/design there

also i ran into an old DmC article and something popped out at me that makes me sad that my dumb insane fan desire of making dante the villain at the halfway point of DmC and switching to vergil as the protagonist as to justify how insufferable dante is/how nonsensical the real ending is happened to maybe potentially have some footing as a thing they considered
Other character sketches showed "a kid with a very strong look" and drawn only from the neck up because Capcom "really wanted to see from the eyes that he's a bad guy."

Dahbomb

There's no input delay in DMC1 unless you are playing the PAL version. Game is slower but it's still a very responsive game.

Also apparently Capcom is still using the Phanta Rhei engine. Deep Down was spotted too.

Seyavesh

There's no input delay in DMC1 unless you are playing the PAL version. Game is slower but it's still a very responsive game.

Also apparently Capcom is still using the Phanta Rhei engine. Deep Down was spotted too.
turns out i was playing the pal version

this explains so much

where'd you see the phanta rei thing at?

RazMaTaz

Banned
turns out i was playing the pal version

this explains so much

where'd you see the phanta rei thing at?

Yeah DMC1 on PAL run slower generally compared to the NTSC version. Im pretty sure this was fixed though with the HD remaster? correct me if i am wrong...

Akiller

10f4a8be59.png

Oh you Kamiya.

Golnei

Kaneko's Devil Triggers are still my favourites of the series, but I can't deny that they're not exactly a perfect match with their established aesthetics - you can tell that they have to take a lot of liberties with their portrayal in their ingame depictions, whereas they'd fit in perfectly in a PS2-era SMT game. Still, 4's Devil Triggers were pretty underwhelming overall despite feeling more in-line with the rest of the art direction. I think Angelo Credo was the only humanoid demon design I really liked, and even then, just for looking like he stepped out of Breath of Fire.

Sesha

I've always disliked DMC4 Dante's DT. Love the DMC3 DTs.

Oh you Kamiya.

Just imagine

2017 - DMC5
2018 - DMC5SE
2019 - Bayonetta x DMC
2020 - DMC6

Add NG4, GoW4, Bayo 3, Darksiders 3, and Spider-Man/Power Rangers/Kill la Kill/whatever by Platinum onto that as well. Action game nirvana baybe. Ah, it's nice to dream

Seyavesh

dmc3 dts best dts

mostly because the dmc4 one looks wack (dreadnought looks better than it, even) and the dmc1/2 ones are real ugly

edit:
the thing that puts me off most about dmc4's dt form is the lips
they look so dang weird and human- it makes him look like a power ranger or ultraman kinda deal rather than a demon

I hate DMC4's DT just as much as DMC3s. Dante just looks like a ridiculous bug in that game.

Dreadnought is way better imo, since it actually makes him look somewhat demonic but the normal DT is awful.

Seyavesh

man that's a bummer, especially in terms of previews and whatnot- the itsuno and reuben langdon livestreamed interviews/q&as were fantastic
i certainly don't doubt that he had a hand in the 'history of dmc' q&a videoes that came with 4se too

Sesha

I'm not surprised. I hadn't seen many updates from Gregaman lately. If you're reading this Greg, best of luck to you in your future endeavors. I can only speak on the DMC side of things, but you were a great community rep, as you engaged with the DMC fandom both on Unity, on GAF and on devilmaycry.org. Your passion for DMC and Capcom in general was clear.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say we're grateful for your efforts. You clearly did a lot to nurture the community and we appreciate that. I think we're all also thankful that you went as far as talk to us directly here on in the OT when we shared our DMC5/future DMC feedback with you. I hope you let your higher ups know about the feedback we shared with you here on GAF, and if possible we'd like to know who we can turn for such liaisons in the future. I can only hope the next DMC community rep is as passionate as you.

Sesha

By the way; how is the 3142 artbook? I had it preordered before it got delayed then cancelled it due to other things taking my money at the time.

It's good. If you're familiar with the previous art books, then the most interesting thing will be the interviews in the back with various dev staff for DMC1-4, including Itsuno. The interviews aren't comprehensive, but they're still pretty great as they offer a lot of insight into the development of each game. I highly recommend getting it.

Sesha

I wouldn't say that. They're doing a big deal, relatively speaking, with the whole 20th anniversary thing, and RE7 has been in development since 2013. They're probably not just blowing smoke up our asses. I mean, this is the company that half a year ago greenlit a RE2 remake and announced it publicly via facebook of all things.

I wish you could but unfortunately there is no way for me to get one at the moment. Maybe someday when major online shops start supporting shipment to Iran. Maybe someday :(

Thanks tho, I appreciate the thought.

You sure? Are international packages heavily restricted or something? I could ship it to you privately as a gift package if not. There are no issues with doing it on my end, as far as I can tell.

You sure? Are international packages heavily restricted or something? I could ship it to you privately as a gift package if not. There are no issues with doing it on my end, as far as I can tell.
Yeah, the customs are pretty harsh on international packages here (they search them thoroughly). It would be really hard to get the package from them (unless you know some people inside the custom) and even if your package is legally acceptable (which isn't the case most of the time with heavy restrictions we have here in general) the amount of money that you need to pay to check the package out of the customs is ridiculously high :(

Sesha

Yeah, the customs are pretty harsh on international packages here (they search them thoroughly). It would be really hard to get the package from them (unless you know some people inside the custom) and even if your package is legally acceptable (which isn't the case most of the time with heavy restrictions we have here in general) the amount of money that you need to pay to check the package out of the customs is ridiculously high :(

Yikes. Sounds like a real crap shoot. You have my sympathies.

Well this is slightly off topic but I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out why I am getting terrible framerate in DMC: Devil May Cry remake and everywhere else that I have asked hasn't answered. No matter what settings I use the framerate never goes above 30 or so if I am standing still doing nothing. If I move it goes into the teens. I Just checked and I can normally play TW3 at 1080/60 no problem on high and ultra settings as usual.

Here is my set up...

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB SOC Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)

Edit: Just wanted to let everyone know that I figured it out. You just need to disable framerate target in CCC.

Sesha

I thought you guys might be interested in this. I made a similar comment like the one here on GregaMan's farewell blog post. He responded with an interesting comment, and as he's responses were few and typically brief I felt I should share it.

Top Bottom