• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Dahbomb

http://s1.zetaboards.com/InfernalWorks/topic/5962781/1/
95KrReW.png

this dude tomas made his own tool for dmc4se model imports and released a nelo angelo for vergil
Dope!

Super duper dope!

Astral Dog

hi guys whats up

what is this, tomorrow?

Ugh, then I at least hope they don't spoil too many important things from Bayo 2.
if you really want to know, Bayonetta does not appear to get any stronger in 2, she needs help to fight the final boss like the last game but fares worse, and also has more help this time.
Of course only two enemies are a match for her, like the last game and the DMC titles, but as the last boss says
"in the end you are merely human"
:p

wich also could apply to Dante except he is actually part demon and does not depend on other demons power to get stronger (at least anymore) he also has shown more progress and thus Bayonetta would be an easy match for him.

edit: Johny and Reuben making a game together??? :D

Dahbomb

So Nero pretty much confirmed to be back for DMC5?

I am OK with this because it's going to set up the "I am your father moment".

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I didn't think they'd abandon Nero. He's gotten his own following. I'm still hoping the game is very much Dante-centric.

So Nero pretty much confirmed to be back for DMC5?

I am OK with this because it's going to set up the "I am your father moment".
I think we all basically predicted Nero would be back for that reason. The question is if they will get dark with the story or if everyone will get all buddy buddy towards the end. The ending to Vergil's story in DMC4:SE felt a little too cheery for Vergil, so I hope Vergil cuts off devil bringer hand to get Yamato (sort of like Star Wars heh).

Sesha

Nero being back was a given. He's the second main character of the series, and pretty much all of the DMC4 team were Nero fans, because he's kinda "their" character in a way that Dante and even Vergil wasn't. I believe Bingo Morihashi says in the 3142 art book interviews that he wants Nero to return for the next game.

Sesha

I jumped and made a thread about it.

May the gods of action-gaming forgive my transgressions if it wasn't thread-worthy.

RazMaTaz

Banned
isn't it a little early for that... I mean how far away is a game announcement if the mo cap is being done at the moment?

Maybe I am wrong but I am pretty sure the motion capture tends to happen when the core base of the game has been constructed and a good portion is completed.

Wouldnt make sense for them to do the mo cap so early, because once their work is complete, what happens if they edit a part of the game that isnt in sync with the shot mo cap, they wouldnt simply recall the mocap people from where ever they are to redo the cut scene.

Seyavesh

Maybe I am wrong but I am pretty sure the motion capture tends to happen when the core base of the game has been constructed and a good portion is completed.

Wouldnt make sense for them to do the mo cap so early, because once their work is complete, what happens if they edit a part of the game that isnt in sync with the shot mo cap, they wouldnt simply recall the mocap people from where ever they are to redo the cut scene.

yep- according to that reunion panel mocap is done somewhat later in development because they gotta have finalized their plans for script and animation stuff. like it's still some ways off but it's not early in production at all

if you really want to know, Bayonetta does not appear to get any stronger in 2, she needs help to fight the final boss like the last game but fares worse, and also has more help this time.
Of course only two enemies are a match for her, like the last game and the DMC titles, but as the last boss says
"in the end you are merely human"
:p

wich also could apply to Dante except he is actually part demon and does not depend on other demons power to get stronger (at least anymore) he also has shown more progress and thus Bayonetta would be an easy match for him.

edit: Johny and Reuben making a game together??? :D

Hmmm, that's interesting. Thanks for write up :)

I still don't think Bayo 1 would be an easy match for Dante but we shall see.

Dahbomb

DMC3 was leaked in almost the same way. Mocap actress for Lady leaked that she is working on the next DMC game.

A month later DMC3 was unveiled officially.

They got a couple of months to iron out the cutscenes and make a trailer out of it for E3.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DMC3 was leaked in almost the same way. Mocap actress for Lady leaked that she is working on the next DMC game.

They got a couple of months to iron out the cutscenes and make a trailer out of it for E3.

Reveal in one month confirmed.

ArjanN

yep- according to that reunion panel mocap is done somewhat later in development because they gotta have finalized their plans for script and animation stuff. like it's still some ways off but it's not early in production at all

Games generally aren't offficially announced all that early in development anymore either.

Sesha

Completely unrelated, but I wanted to share this. Someone is making a top-down boss-focused spectacle fighter with bullet hell elements and a soundtrack by Carpenter Brut for PS4. It's as crazy as it sounds.

Alright folks, the writing for the Community Thread is ready to start. Sections include:

What is DMC? - A general run-down of the series. Genre, platforms available, basic lore info, other mediums (manga, anime) etc.

The Games - A more detailed run-through of the games in the series. What's changed in each iteration, new playable characters, story set up etc.

Basic Tutorials - A simple guide on how to effectively use each characters unique skillset and all-round advice for beginners.

Advanced tutorials and high level play - An in-depth look at the complex crazy stuff the high-level players do. Video tutorials are probably a good way of showing this instead of a wall of text. The high level gameplay is basically a few links to some of the most insane stuff out there to show people just how deep the games can be.

The reboot - The reboots story and premise can be mentioned above, but because of the vastly different mechanics, I think it'd be better for it to have it's own section here.

I also want to reserve the first post for GAF tournaments if people are interested. Problem is, someone else would have to organize them because I've no earthly idea where to even begin.

So what do you think? Any other sections to include? Any volunteers to write out a section? Also taking title suggestions.

I completely missed this. Since no one volunteered yet, I volunteer to write at least a first draft for the DmC section. I might also do a couple of lines regarding DMC1 and the lore of DMC.

I think a section on community projects could be useful.

Btw, what do you think of my suggestion of creating a Google Doc that we can all edit? It could be useful for providing feedback and editing/re-writing entries. I think it's important that every section is concise, and that no section is somehow vague or unclear. I've already taken the liberty of making a DMC-GAF gmail account.

Title suggestions:

Devil May Cry Community |OT| Let's rock, baby
Devil May Cry Community |OT| The time has come and so have I
Devil May Cry Community |OT| We shall never surrender
Devil May Cry Community |OT| Devils never cry
Devil May Cry Community |OT| Devil May Cry: Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry Community |OT| This party's getting crazy, let's rock
Devil May Cry Community |OT| I am absolutely crazy about it
Devil May Cry Community |OT| It's been 15 years…

Dahbomb

I will only accept "This party's getting crazy" as the OT title.

Man DMC3 was the king of meme worthy one liners. If it had came out today then people would've went crazy with the references.

I will only accept "This party's getting crazy" as the OT title.

Man DMC3 was the king of meme worthy one liners. If it had came out today then people would've went crazy with the references.

I was a demon slayer like you until I took an inertia rainstorm to the knee

well times have changed, don't think they announce it like that.

besides they are working on it right now while mocap for lady probably already finished working on the project.

Some suggestions (all from DMC3)

Devil May Cry Community |OT| Sorry, not open for business yet
Devil May Cry Community |OT| What's the matter? Didn't you get an invitation?
Devil May Cry Community |OT| May I have this dance, m'lady?
Devil May Cry Community |OT| It's only the rain.
Devil May Cry Community |OT| Come on, dude, don't you have any hobbies?

Sesha

So I started thinking about this after reading the Witcher 3 10m units shipped thread:

When chasing the sales of more popular franchises, instead of looking at God of War, Capcom should really be looking in Dark Souls' direction. Dark Souls has managed to sell more than 5m, despite being a hardcore niche title that doesn't tell the player jack shit for info, has a dark fantasy-aesthetic and a somber and dismal tone, has open-ended instead of linear levels, doesn't dumb down the gameplay or hold the players hand, and doesn't throw fancy graphics or modern AAA scripted cinematic bullshit or other fancy stuff at the player. Bloodborne would probably be up there if it had Xbone and PC versions since it's done 2m on PS4 alone. Although yes, both are action RPGs with a different emphasis than DMC. But still, Dark Souls proves that a action-focused title primarily aimed at hardcore players can do well, without being cinematic, or handhold-y, or linear, or bright and overly colorful.

Hopefully, they've re-evaluated their priorities for what DMC needs to do in order to be a success.

Dahbomb

So I started thinking about this after reading the Witcher 3 10m units shipped thread:

When chasing the sales of more popular franchises, instead of looking at God of War, Capcom should really be looking in Dark Souls' direction. Dark Souls has managed to sell more than 5m, despite being a hardcore niche title that doesn't tell the player jack shit for info, has a dark fantasy-aesthetic and a somber and dismal tone, has open-ended instead of linear levels, doesn't dumb down the gameplay or hold the players hand, and doesn't throw fancy graphics or modern AAA scripted cinematic bullshit or other fancy stuff at the player. Bloodborne would probably be up there if it had Xbone and PC versions since it's done 2m on PS4 alone. Although yes, both are action RPGs with a different emphasis than DMC. But still, Dark Souls proves that a action-focused title primarily aimed at hardcore players can do well, without being cinematic, or handhold-y, or linear, or bright and overly colorful.

Hopefully, they've re-evaluated their priorities for what DMC needs to do in order to be a success.
Pretty sure I have said this 10 times already.

Well more Bloodborne than Souls.

But the Souls games have very simple game play compared to DMC games. It's the enemy, stat mechanics and level design that makes the game hard.

IMO what really sets apart the Souls games from the DMC games is the level design. If you take away the level design from the Souls games.. then those games are pretty mediocre in the grand scheme of things... just a DMC style game with some nice boss fights but simple combat. The level design make and break these games and it's a huge piece of the puzzle missing from the DMC games. It's not just about making the level design open... it's about instilling the player with the need to explore, to check every corner and to master areas. Every pixel in an area is purposely designed for a very specific purpose, they aren't just back drops for you to fight in.

This mod is pretty cool. It's a work in progress, but the aim is to make Nero a martial artist using his various punches and kicks from his Buster animations.

https://youtu.be/5tX9jHQ-XuA

I hope the DMC5 rumors are true. It would be a huge coincidence if Reuben Langdon and JYB were in the same place at the same time, but not working on a DMC-related project. Chances are the game has been in development for a while, but perhaps they're waiting until they have something substantial to show this time. The initial DMC4 reveal was nothing like the actual game, after all.

Picked up Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae on PS4 as it was fairly cheap. For an indie game with a low budget , it can get pretty stylish at times. The main character fights fairly similar to vergil.

Sesha

Remember Verendus telling us in December '14 that he heard DMC5 was in development. 1st parties/console makers are usually told when a project is in production. It could be it's been full development for a few months, but that it's been in pre-production/planning stages for longer. Their source could have been unspecific or lacking the necessary information. There's a million explanations.

RazMaTaz

Banned
Yeah something isnt right - Mo capping tends to happen when a fair amount of development has been completed. It would seem very odd to begin mo cap when the game is only been in development for a few months. If all this is in tangent with DMC, then its either the source got their information wrong with it being only a few months in development, or, DMC is in very early stages and that mo cap could potentially be for something else, or simply whipping up a quick teaser to be announced using mo cap.

Golnei

I'd considered the possibility of the mocap being for a teaser as well, but that would seem to be a little inconsistent with how Capcom's been handling the reveals of new games this generation. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Sesha

I don't think it's Capcom, but Reuben (and Dan and Johnny). Reuben in particular has been stoking the rumor fires for a while, now. If I were to speculate, I think he's hoping people will catch on and light a fire under Capcom's ass.

I mean, the guy ran around at E3 last year carrying a picture of Ken. He seems like he delights in his roles and like he really wants people to share in that.

Top Bottom