• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Sesha

That article is a bunch of nothing. It's poorly written and consists of pure speculation, references a bunch of articles that merely talk about the possibility of DMC5 happening but without any sources, claims Reuben and JYB confirmed DMC5 even though they never said anything and the DMC5 talk was just speculation by fans, and lastly has this gem:

and after the fourth game, DmC: Devil May Cry was released years ago

The fourth game, DmC…

You'd think a site called the Lawyer Herald would have higher standards for an article, but it seems like their Staff Writers includes paid forum posters. I might say at least this will help keep people talking about DMC5, but who the hell reads the Lawyer Herald for game news? I doubt even actual lawyers do.

Thanks though, SoS. I know you're just trying to keep the talk going and the hope alive.

Sesha

Yeah, it kinda reminds of that Korean Drama site that had both DD2 and DMC5 confirmed last year, lol.

They have three articles that claim DMC5 is confirmed, the title of the last one even has a question mark despite the previous two being definitive sentences. They're the worst. They're by the same guy too.

TreIII

He'll be back when he's ready.

I'd rather Itsuno and crew get all the time necessary to make a solid product for Dante and pals, anyway...

Sesha

Even shitty articles about nothing get us talking, lol.

Where's Verendus when you need him? He's probably off making wrestling jokes in some random thread.

Got the 3-1-4-2 book, man this book is a goldmine.Especially the interviews.

The interviews are amazing. Can't believe all that gold was hidden away in Japanese all this time.

What are your thoughts on where the music of the series should go? Should it stay with the mix of horror for overall areas and the buttiest of butt rock for fights/character themes? Should it go back to being more like Devil May Cry 1?

At an absolute minimum, I want more variety in the battle themes. As much as I love the cheese of Shootie HG and Jason Shyboy buttrock/metal, Devil May Cry 4's soundtrack is remembered infamously because it had only two battle themes for the entire game that played on a loop. It drowned out the memory of any of the other music, which was mostly atmospheric and orchestral pieces, after listening to the same two songs on loop for hours on end.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What are your thoughts on where the music of the series should go? Should it stay with the mix of horror for overall areas and the buttiest of butt rock for fights/character themes? Should it go back to being more like Devil May Cry 1?

At an absolute minimum, I want more variety in the battle themes. As much as I love the cheese of Shootie HG and Jason Shyboy buttrock/metal, Devil May Cry 4's soundtrack is remembered infamously because it had only two battle themes for the entire game that played on a loop. It drowned out the memory of any of the other music, which was mostly atmospheric and orchestral pieces, after listening to the same two songs on loop for hours on end.

Honestly, I think I'm more in favor of the orchestral + techno mix soundtracks. Stuff like Ultraviolet, Baroque and Beats, Vergil 3... I think those tracks shine in particular. They're really some of the best in the genre easily. Devils Never Cry is iconic.

Every now and again, the buttrock calls and I must answer. I completely agree that they need to add more base-level combat tracks in the game for variety sake.

Dahbomb

Needs more orchestral themes. Techno/rock stuff is fine for the combat themes but some of the bosses need more classical stuff.

And please no more single battle themes. That gets old fast.

Bring back Devils Never Cry some way too. They probably won't because cheap skate Capcom is not going to give any extra money than they need.

Combat aside, I would like to see more horror inspired music for explorations in certain parts. That worked well in DMC1 and added a lot to the atmosphere.

Also, I know it may get a little annoying that we keep compare the series to BB, but I really liked some of boss fight musics in that game so I hope we get some of that in next DMC as well. (Especially when the fight takes place in more Gothic/castle based areas)

Dahbomb

New interview with Dante himself:

http://junkiemonkeys.com/sakura-con-2016-interview-with-reuben-langdon/

NOTE: More denial about Devil May Cry 5
giphy.gif

Even E3's website is trying to trick us into getting on the hype train :)

Going back to that interview that RazMaTaz posted a few posts above, the more I watch that part the more I become confident that the picture is from a new DMC title. Just look at how nervous he gets when the question is asked and how carefully he tries to choose his words, since he was asked about any new titles with Dante and not DMC5.

Well, I.....

Well, that... that... that picture was not from Devil May Cry 5. I will... I will... officially say that for the record, since a lot of people were speculating and saying:

"Hey, it's Devil May Cry 5!"

No, I'm sorry.

Nice try Reuben, but she didn't ask about DMC5. She asked about any new titles with Dante and you dodged that question :p

EDIT: And he had a trollish smile on his face the whole time. I CAN SEE RIGHT THROUGH YOU DANTE!

Sesha

I think you're reading too much into it. Even though the question didn't mention DMC5, that's what she wanted to know, and Reuben interpreted it that way because all the speculation about the photo from fans was about DMC5. He's not being any more nervous or cautious about that question than any other question he's answered.

Anyway, Reuben didn't say DMC5 isn't happening, just that the photo wasn't DMC5. We went over this when the pictures first dropped. It's unlikely that Dan wouldn't be involved, and it's probably too early for mo-cap at this point if we assume by Itsuno's tweet and that rumor by gameblog.fr's supposed insider source that DMC5 is just a few months in development.

That said, Reuben and Johnny working on something together in Japan is suspicious, but that's without know what other projects they might have done together previously. Maybe it's DMC4.75, but it could also be anything.

hype

Incidentally, are you Spanish?

https://twitter.com/tomqe/status/722057466414903297

Looks like its mostly about Street Fighter, but maybe theres some interesting quiestion who knows(JP only).

It's about his involvement with Street Fighter as a developer, basically just Alpha. There's seemingly some fun tidbits there, such as how the Alpha project started and why Final Fight characters were chosen, but nothing major, as far as I can tell.

Reuben says in the interview Capcom asked them to take the picture down, so something is cooking. Though can't tell if Reuben knows anything or is just prodding capcom about DMC5 in hopes Capcom will listen and make it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Reuben says in the interview Capcom asked them to take the picture down, so something is cooking. Though can't tell if Reuben knows anything or is just prodding capcom about DMC5 in hopes Capcom will listen and make it.

Really, they could have been mocapping anything. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they were both actors for Resident Evil 7. But like Sesha says, even if that picture isn't for DMC5, that doesn't mean DMC5 isn't in the works.

If the pic turns out to be from RE7 instead of a new DMC, I... would actually be okay with it.

Edit: This just occurred to me, but did Johnny work on SFV? Maybe the mo-cap pic is from that story mode or some other SFV related event?

Really, they could have been mocapping anything. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they were both actors for Resident Evil 7. But like Sesha says, even if that picture isn't for DMC5, that doesn't mean DMC5 isn't in the works.
Yah I'm saying it's probably not DMC5, but Reuben's way of egging on Capcom to make DMC5 (if they aren't already). It's like "'Hey Capcom look at all theses fans who want DMC5 just start making it already".
If the pic turns out to be from RE7 instead of a new DMC, I... would actually be okay with it.

Edit: This just occurred to me, but did Johnny work on SFV? Maybe the mo-cap pic is from that story mode or some other SFV related event?
He said he didn't and that SFV's animations are all handcrafted. Though that isn't saying that story mode might be motion captured?

He said he didn't and that SFV's animations are all handcrafted. Though that isn't saying that story mode might be motion captured?
Yeah, the gameplay moves are all handcrafted but maybe they wanted to capture their face performances for cutscene parts of the story?

I looked it up and apparently Johnny has voiced the character Yang in SSFIV. Maybe he is gonna return in SFV's story and that's why Capcom asked them to take the picture down, since it's from a character that hasn't officially been announced yet.

I think you're reading too much into it. Even though the question didn't mention DMC5, that's what she wanted to know, and Reuben interpreted it that way because all the speculation about the photo from fans was about DMC5. He's not being any more nervous or cautious about that question than any other question he's answered.

Anyway, Reuben didn't say DMC5 isn't happening, just that the photo wasn't DMC5. We went over this when the pictures first dropped. It's unlikely that Dan wouldn't be involved, and it's probably too early for mo-cap at this point if we assume by Itsuno's tweet and that rumor by gameblog.fr's supposed insider source that DMC5 is just a few months in development.

That said, Reuben and Johnny working on something together in Japan is suspicious, but that's without know what other projects they might have done together previously. Maybe it's DMC4.75, but it could also be anything.
You are probably right, I tend to read too much into these things. Though, I still think it's odd that he paused for a sec before answering and then specifically mentioned DMC5 :)

Actually, there is another possibility outside of DMC and SFV. Maybe that pic is from a new cross over fighter like SNK Vs Capcom 3......... yeah, that's not happening.

RazMaTaz

Banned
To be fair, and I said this previously too, that pic of Reuben and Johnny is most definitely due to another title, simply because mo cap for games like Devil May Cry don't tend to happen up until the very late stages of development. Begs the question what the hell that pic was about?

- If it was SFV Story mode, we already knew it was coming later this year anyway, so wouldnt explain why they are keeping this so secretive.

- Sengoku Basara is already announced so again, why so secretive?

- RE7 is the only title that this could be related to.

Sesha

There's a good chance it could be RE7. We know it's been in development for a while and is probably not far off, we know Reuben does mo-cap for Chris, and it might explain the secrecy and why Capcom was mad about the picture.

Actually, there is another possibility outside of DMC and SFV. Maybe that pic is from a new cross over fighter like SNK Vs Capcom 3......... yeah, that's not happening.

Now that would be crazy talk.

Edit: Unrelated, but the recent info on PS4K should ease fears about DMC5 being 30 fps by default on lower tech systems.

Our waiting game continues. Also, its been long enough; the bigger head-scratcher now is why they've been holding out on RE7 related news.

Sesha

Our waiting game continues. Also, its been long enough; the bigger head-scratcher now is why they've been holding out on RE7 related news.

Either it's not ready yet, possibly because of Panta Rhei like Raz suggests, or they want to make a big splash around E3 time like Fallout 4 did. Long cycles between announcement and release have hurt them in the past, like DMC4 and DmC, and there is a lot of money to be saved by not having to wheel your game out at game shows over 1-2 years.

I genuinely think they messed up big time with RE7 and that's why we haven't still heard anything about that game. I really doubt that they release it this year either. Maybe we'll see it in the first half of 2017, maybe.

Edit: Unrelated, but the recent info on PS4K should ease fears about DMC5 being 30 fps by default on lower tech systems.
It actually makes it worse since Sony is okay with having lower frame rates for PS4 titles and there are no restrictions there. And they are making all developers put a NEO version on their titles so they have to add something new to those versions and what better way to sell the superior version than having better fps/performance.

Though, the fact that devs can't make any new exclusive content for the NEO version is reassuring so we don't have to fear that PS4 version might lack the features like Turbo Mode or a new difficulty or something.

Sesha

It actually makes it worse since Sony is okay with having lower frame rates for PS4 titles and there are no restrictions there. And they are making all developers put a NEO version on their titles so they have to add something new to those versions and what better way to sell the superior version than having better fps/performance.

Though, the fact that devs can't make any new exclusive content for the NEO version is reassuring so we don't have to fear that PS4 version might lack the features like Turbo Mode or a new difficulty or something.

I see it as the standard PS4 version being the default version, and the NEO version being the "enhanced" version. It would be a colossally bad business decision of Capcom to restrict a superior 60 fps version of DMC5 to a version of a console far fewer people will have. As long as the standard PS4 has the biggest install base, it will remain the default version. I wouldn't worry about it.

If anything Turbo mode would be one of those things that could be an exclusive feature, depending on the game is made. After all, Turbo wasn't available in vanilla DMC4, and not possible in DmC because Turbo wasn't possible at 30 fps. I can see something like LDK mode being NEO exclusive because of the higher performance required. But if publishers aren't allowed to make exclusive content then there's no reason to worry about that either.

Top Bottom