• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Hopefully when DMC5 is released (and it does well), we get DMC games on a more regular basis like Dark Souls... With less games appealing to me now, I need a game to play lol...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I have every confidence that DMC5 will probably be something special, even if it doesn't do everything we want it to do (re: advance the story as far as we like, revamp the way story mode missions are done, include all of our combat system hopes, new cast members, etc.). In fact, the main thing I worry about is that in the desire to "return the series to its roots", they'll play it safe and are less likely to try too much different for fear of pissing off fans. I'd definitely hope to be proven wrong, though.

I can totally understand that trepidation. Capcom got their angsty teen rebellious rage out of the way and they're catering more to fans. I suspect that DMC5 will almost certainly be a safer and more traditional DMC game, but this doesn't mean they won't take risks and changes to the formula. And at this point, I'd much rather they take very thoughtful and calculated risks with this IP for a next title than be reckless.

DMC as a classic series was seriously in danger of disappearing. I think that's always something to keep in the back of our minds.

Sesha

Hopefully when DMC5 is released (and it does well), we get DMC games on a more regular basis like Dark Souls... With less games appealing to me now, I need a game to play lol...

According to their integrated report from last October, the one that said they had new titles for DMC and franchises planned by FY2017, their major titles are on a roughly 2.5 year schedule, with titles being supported with DLC in between releases. This is the same as the plans they had for DmC sequels.

But those 2.5 years will probably turn out to actually be 3 years.

Edit:
Skjermbilde%202016-03-25%20kl.%2013.11.44.png

Speaking of DLC, it's actually kind of funny that DMC 4 was one of the few games at the time I actually wanted DLC for since the campaign was so bare bones. Releasing a few variations of Bloody Palace (a la Mercenaries where you have regular, agent hunt, onslaught, siege, etc) would have been awesome since the combat was so amazing.

Sesha

DMC is one of the only franchises I would buy DLC for. DLC, if done well, would be perfect for DMC.

Classic weapons and bosses, extra modes they didn't have time to add before release. Adding classic bosses opens up the possibility for boss rush and Bloody Palace with remixed waves.
Weapon DLC would mean they could create all new weapons instead of spending time recreating old weapons like the gauntlets. I would rather buy Beowulf as DLC than knowing time, money and effort has been wasted creating a new weapon that plays exactly like a pre-existing one.
It feels weird advocating for DLC, but you could argue DMC had DLC in the form of the Special Editions and DMC4s PC version. After all, the only way for 7 years to get Turbo for DMC4 was to buy the PC version.

Capcom has been leaving money on the table all these years. Having multiple games with multiple add-ons that continue to sell years after release is easy money in the grand scheme of things.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Speaking of DLC, it's actually kind of funny that DMC 4 was one of the few games at the time I actually wanted DLC for since the campaign was so bare bones. Releasing a few variations of Bloody Palace (a la Mercenaries where you have regular, agent hunt, onslaught, siege, etc) would have been awesome since the combat was so amazing.

I still feel like DMC4 was ripe for DLC, and they perhaps originally planned on making cosmetic DLC for it. It was around the same time as Oblivion horse armor, and that exploded in negative publicity. Maybe that changed their minds. It's just odd how barebones in extras it was upon release, without even a single extra costume.

Finally went back to play to start on Nero/Dante's campaign. I finished Trish/Lady's when the SE originally came out. I was never too big on 4's campaign, so after playing with the new people I had my fill for the time being.

And man, I am absolute garbage right now. I barely got past the very first Dante fight without dying. Dunno if it's just from not playing the game in a while, or if I'm finally beginning to lose my young man reactions, but it went horribly.

When it comes to DLC in DMC titles I would like them to either:

A) Go Witcher 3's route and add smaller cosmetic stuff for free and then have 1 or 2 paid expansion that add a lot of new content to the game for a fair price ($15 or $20 each could be acceptable if the content is there)

or

B) Try to use SFV's model and let the hardcore players be able to earn all gameplay related stuff while selling the costumes and other cosmetic stuff.

Though, all of this are only acceptable if the base game has enough extra contents to begin with. I don't think I can take another DMC4 situation and honestly, I trust Capcom to not make the same mistake again with DMC titles. At least not with DMC5.

Sesha

I'm probably okay with paying for gameplay-related DLC if the vanilla game has enough content and that content is solid. Though having further gameplay content be unlockable like SF5 might be a good way to encourage people coming back to play the game. That said, it might be incompatible with the vanilla game -> Special Edition model.

I hope they do away with SE model all together. If they wanna add anything to the game they can do it with DLCs. There is no reason to make us buy a completely new version to get new contents.

Maybe they can do a complete/GOTY/SE version after that, but players with base game should be able to buy all of the new contents for their version as well.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I hope they do away with SE model all together. If they wanna add anything to the game they can do it with DLCs. There is no reason to make us buy a completely new version to get new contents.

Maybe they can do a complete/GOTY/SE version after that, but players with base game should be able to buy all of the new contents for their version as well.

Pretty much. The special edition model is archaic and there's really no practical reason to employ it at this point. If they want to release a compiled Complete edition down the line, that's fine. But the Special Edition goes against their own business model goals at this stage.

I still think Capcom created one of the best foundations for series long community and content support with RE.NET. This is why I'd love for them to implement a DMC.Net equivalent.

SFV model is a bit of a pipedream. You have to remember that since SFV is an online fighting game, it's the online network community that keeps the game alive and incentives further purchases. Capcom is essentially paying people with fight money to keep the online active. It's a great model and a win win for the game, but I don't see that being as feasible in what is mostly a single player driven series. They could up the ante with online connectivity, like with a DMC.NET, to the point where it would make sense, but again... sort of a pipedream.

Yeah, SFV's model in DMC might be asking a little too much.

I've seen you bring up this RE.net a lot, GE. Can I ask how does that work with RE titles? Is there any new content that you can get through that site or something? I haven't really used it and you are basically the only one I've seen that even talks about that site, so I'm really curious about it.

Seyavesh

I've seen you bring up this RE.net a lot, GE. Can I ask how does that work with RE titles? Is there any new content that you can get through that site or something? I haven't really used it and you are basically the only one I've seen that even talks about that site, so I'm really curious about it.

'new' content?
as in content not already packed w/ the game?
if so, then no

it's all stuff that's included within the game and locked behind re.net unlock points which is annoying as they could just let you unlock the stuff ingame instead of behind a really bad web interface w/ the same end result
at the very least you can unlock the stuff with a save editor

otherwise, other content from RE.net includes really mediocre/randomized items/weapons for the REV1/2 raid modes

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

It's basically a site where you can create a Resident Evil account, tied to your Capcom-Unity account, that keeps track of all your stats, weapon/character usage, map scores, Mercenaries scores/partners etc. It had unlockable costumes and weapons that you could purchase for various modes in different Resident Evil games.

You can get points for logging in and participating in weekly events with the community (such as killing a certain boss a number of times within the week), and with those awarded points you can use them to purchase weapons or costumes for another Resident Evil game, since your RE points could be used site-wide. You could buy costumes and colors for RE6, or new loot weapons for RER and RER2, for example.

I think it's a really great idea in concept that hasn't really picked up much steam. But I think it can and will if Capcom decides to support it.

'new' content?
as in content not already packed w/ the game?
if so, then no

it's all stuff that's included within the game and locked behind re.net unlock points which is annoying as they could just let you unlock the stuff ingame instead of behind a really bad web interface w/ the same end result
at the very least you can unlock the stuff with a save editor

otherwise, other content from RE.net includes really mediocre/randomized items/weapons for the REV1/2 raid modes

The reason why I like it is mostly the cross-game promotional stuff, and the weekly events. That level of connectivity can really keep a more single player focused game alive. It also added housed information for different unique Raid events. Give points for participating, and allow those points to unlock new content down the line. They could have a variety of boss or Bloody Palace challenges each week.

I'll admit that it can be a lot better, especially with the degree of currently recycled content, but I think the idea is a solid one if they support it down the line and add additional game functionality to future titles.

I like the concept behind it. Especially the fact that you can earn points and use them to unlock new stuff in other RE titles is neat. To be frank, it kinda reminds me of what Ubisoft does with Uplay and how that account is tied to all of your Ubi games.

From what you are describing it's a very good way to keep people involved with the game after the release with challenges and stuff as well. But as Seyavesh said, I'm not too kin on them locking stuff already in the game behind it. So I hope if they decide to make something along those lines for DMC, then they put new exclusive unlockable content for that site on weekly/monthly bases after the release, instead of locking what's already in the game behind it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I like the concept behind it. Especially the fact that you can earn points and use them to unlock new stuff in other RE titles is neat. To be frank, it kinda reminds me of what Ubisoft does with Uplay and how that account is tied to all of your Ubi games.

From what you are describing it's a very good way to keep people involved with the game after the release with challenges and stuff as well. But as Seyavesh said, I'm not too kin on them locking stuff already in the game behind it. So I hope if they decide to make something along those lines for DMC, then they put new exclusive unlockable content for that site on weekly/monthly bases after the release, instead of locking what's already in the game behind it.

I see the similarities, except that RE.net is completely optional and will never ever limit your ability to play, unlike Uplay and its anticonsumer restrictions. It's really just a gateway to additional community events.

That said, I agree with both you and Seyavesh. I don't support locking content from an initial release, and would like the potential of such a site to be realized with new and interesting content. Say they add a new challenge boss or a new event where you fight two legacy bosses at once. Just fun stuff that manipulates a lot of content in the game in interesting ways to gain leader board rank and points.

MBS

Banned
Let's hope for something in E3. In other news, i'll probably triple-dip in DMC4. First bought it for 360, then PS3, now PS4 (however this time is a rather different game).

Dahbomb

I am god damn thirsty for some DMC5 tidbits.

Random fan fiction non sense I came up with for DMC5.

Dante and co fight "old" demon gods that are actually just the old Greek gods that they find out were actually demons with the facade of human like bodies. There are the 12 old demon gods that have come back after the turmoil in hell. However there is one true leader over them and it's not Zeus... it's the 13th god or the original deity aka a Titan.

Zeus - Old bearded man that carries a lightning spear as a weapon.
Transformation: Giant Eagle much like Griffon that specializes in electrical attacks (the Eagle was one of the symbols of Zeus)
Weapon: Lightning spear weapon called the Zeus (all the gods give up the weapon they were using in their humanoid form upon defeat)

Apollo - Young athletic guy carries flame based tri chucks as his weapon of choice (motif of the sun). Also has a chariot that he likes to bust out from time to time.
Transformation: Turns into a medium sized demonic lion engulfed in flames (about the size of Beowulf).

Hermes - Young dude with gauntlet/greeves as weapons using quicksilver based attacks. He can manipulate time which is the source of his insane speed.
Transformation : Turns him into a silver humanoid falcon looking demon. Gets insanely fast in this form.

Poseidon - Old man with a dual edged trident that also can be turned into sais. Water based attacks.
Transformation : Turns area partially into water and turns into a giant sea dragon/hydra with a heavy torso and humanoid arms (but no legs, just a giant tail).

Athena - Female warrior using Halberd and shield combination. Uses ice based attacks.
Transformation : Slender crystal demon dragon with wings shoots out ice shards and other ice based attacks.

Aphrodite - Uses a weapon similar to the Lucifer that shoots red projectiles and has a rose. Can summon smaller demons that also shoot projectiles. This uses the charm effect where if hit by enough projectiles you can utilize mind control like abilities.
Transformation : She turns into a half humanoid half scorpion demon with a stinger that can shoot projectiles which have charm affliction.

Hephaestus: Uses giant hammer and giant shield combination weapon. Earth based attacks.
Transformation : Giant molten rock like golem demon.

Ares - Dual axes in both hands that combine at the hilt to make a war glaive (a fancier and deadly boomerang). Uses bleed based attacks.
Transformation : Giant Minotaur like creature that is engulfed in red flames. Inflicts bleed on attack.

Hades - Uses a dark whip that can transform to various shapes for different attacks.
Transformation - Humanoid man bat demon with no mouth, all shrouded in a cloak of shadows with a slender tail and goat like legs.

Artemis - Bow and arrow with the bow also usable as a melee weapon by splitting into two short swords. Uses moon based attacks. Also has a white panther that fights with her.
Transformation - Turns into a female centaur demon that is white in color and gains a larger bow and arrow. Head becomes a new shape entirely, curved like the moon. White panther also gets transformed to be bigger and more menacing.

Hera - Uses a giant scythe with poison affliction.
Transformation - She turns into a giant demonic hydra that starts with a single head but begins to gain more heads as the fight progresses.

The 13th god is the original deity that created these gods or the original demon titan named Chronus. There were other titans but Chronus killed them all and these other gods are under him. Mundus/Argosax etc. came from the old gods and the old gods came from the titans. Chronus has chaos dimension type abilities.

I came up with this format because there is always debates over what people prefer in bosses... smaller human sized bosses or larger creature type demon bosses. With the transformation theme, every boss has an initial human form where they use their signature weapons and abilities then transform to their demon form where they lose their weapons but their abilities are amplified. Plus I liked the concept of old demonic gods and Greek gods predated Abrahamic God. Mundus and Sparda might be looked upon as the "new" gods but the greek gods were worshiped before they even existed.

Would they really use Greek Gods though? They run the risk of being directly compared to God of War, and as much as I love DMC, it won't beat GOW in terms of sheer spectacle.

Sesha

Having 12-13 weapons would be crazy.

I like the idea of bosses that transform into more powerful forms mid-battle.

Would they really use Greek Gods though? They run the risk of being directly compared to God of War, and as much as I love DMC, it won't beat GOW in terms of sheer spectacle.

It's a shame Beelzebub, Leviathan and Lucifer were wasted. Otherwise they could have used Peter Binsfeld's classification of demons corresponding to the 7 deadly sins, as a basis for a group of pre-Mundus primeval demonic gods:

Pride: Lucifer
Greed: Mammon
Lust: Asmodeus
Envy: Leviathan
Gluttony: Beelzebub
Wrath: Satan
Sloth: Belphegor

Golnei

They used Cerberus. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Cerberus is a classic generic mythological creature at this point, a lot less specific than particular members of the Greek pantheon - I'd say it'd be closer to the use of the Griffin, Cockatrice and Chimera in Dragon's Dogma, more connected to their role as a stock fantasy monster - even Echidna sort of counts there, despite the less traditional depiction. I think any actual god-like figures would be like Mundus to Lucifer and Beowulf to Pazuzu; drawing broad inspiration from a deity but going in their own direction from there.

Seyavesh

Cool. Don't have the game, downloading just in case :p

i tried them out and man
they're mad weird. like, i really dislike 'em
it's not necessarily the actual speaking lines insomuch the shouts and stuff- they just sound bad!

it's really noticeable with stinger

Sesha

Cerberus in DMC3 was probably based on the one from the Divine Comedy, not specifically his mythological counterpart. In it, he guards the third circle of Hell, that of gluttony, where cold rain, hail and sleet pours endlessly through the air.

I wouldn't call Cerberus a "generic" mythological creature, but his use in literature and popular culture is so ubiquitous that he's not really tied down, in the mainstream cultural psyche, to his mythological origins anymore. Speaking of God of War, though, you never actually fight Cerberus, do you? You just fight generic rando mini-Cerbs, IIRC.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Speaking of God of War, though, you never actually fight Cerberus, do you? You just fight generic rando mini-Cerbs, IIRC.

In GOW2, you fight the Cerberus who consumes Jason of the Argonauts. He's a mini boss of sorts. Certainly a unique Cerberus at least. You get the golden fleece by defeating him.

Dahbomb

You don't have to use the Greek god names or even their Roman equivalents. You can use the 12 Zodiacs.

Or you can call them something completely different.

Point is that I came up with that stuff sitting on a toilet in 5 minutes. Basic concept is simple... bunch of old gods that predated Mundus/Argosax are back because Hell has been vacant for too long.

Oh and throw in Vergil because Vergil.

Or you can go the multiverse route but that's probably too soon for it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ugh no multiverse please. Old gods are fine. Great, even. Stuff that predates Mundus is a very natural direction. How do you get something that's an even greater threat than the king of the devilworld? Who was the big cheese before there was even a devilworld.

I think we've talked about that at some length. There needs to be the (re)awakening of some greater threat.

Dahbomb

Multiverse is the natural progression when you have killed all the most powerful beings both past and present in your universe.

Unless you start talking about aliens and stuff but that's weirder for DMC than fighting more powerful demons from a different dimension/universe.

Sesha

There's not really the need for multiple dimensions. It could be the ancient demons were just sealed away somehow, like Mundus was, and everyone sort of forgot about them. There's no need to be more powerful than the thing you're sealing away, as that would defeat the point of sealing something away as opposed to just killing or incapacitating it.
As for why? Maybe Mundus is like the demon world's Drumpf. Maybe the demon world wasn't doing so great, and so he promised to make the demon world great again, and got all the lesser demons to follow and rise up against their forebears. I dunno.

In GOW2, you fight the Cerberus who consumes Jason of the Argonauts. He's a mini boss of sorts. Certainly a unique Cerberus at least. You get the golden fleece by defeating him.

Ah. I never finished GOW2, so it's possible I never got to that part. I certainly don't remember it.

Dahbomb

Yeah but where do you go after the "ancient demon gods that were sealed away" route?

After that it's either aliens, Angels/actual gods or different dimensions.

I mean I would totally be down with Dante taking on Freeza/Boros looking mofos.

Sesha

That's a good point. I have thought about it. They would need to create a multi-game arc rather than having the villains be a one-off deal. Once you've established villains more powerful than Mundus, there's all sorts of ways the plot can go. Maybe they have a hierarchal structure, or god forbid maybe some human tries to gain their power.

Who knows where they're planning on taking things. I doubt Itsuno, Morihashi, Kobayashi and team ever make any major plans plot-wise beyond the game they're working on. Though going by all the hints in DMC4, Mundus will probably come back for another smackdown.

Multiverse is the natural progression when you have killed all the most powerful beings both past and present in your universe.

I think by that point (which IMO, should be at least 2 or 3 games from now) they should either (soft)reboot the game or just finish the DMC series entirely and move on to something new.

I mean DMC is not like FF that gets a completely new universe with each numbered entry, and unlike RE which has multiple main characters, DMC is (almost) always focused on Dante. So at some point, Capcom has to end it.

RazMaTaz

Banned
I just want Capcom to fulfill that gap between DMC4 and DMC2 with DMC5. Once that is established, Capcom can do some serious creativity with Dante being in hell. It would be the perfect set up to see everyone Dante and Nero have destroyed, from Phantom, Sanctus, Mundus, etc in hell. They could extend the family line aswell like they did with Tekken, and introduce Spardas dad :p

RazMaTaz

Banned
So just delving into the comments about the picture Dan Southworth posted, and states that both Bosch and Langdon were NOT working on a DMC title in that picture posted:

image.png

Denial?

Oh man, here we go:
Launch Games

The following games will directly take advantage of the new PlayStation 4 at launch:

EVE: Valkyrie (PlayStation VR)
Robinson: The Journey (PlayStation VR)
Gran Turismo Sport (PS4, PlayStation VR)
Deep Down (PS4)
GOW4 (presumably God of War 4) (PS4)
Developers already have development kits for the new PlayStation 4 and are making games that will directly target and take advantage of its higher specs. These games will work on the current PlayStation 4, but with considerable sacrifices made to performance
http://gematsu.com/2016/03/rumor-ps...w-cpu-deep-down-god-war-4-among-launch-titles

Sesha

I wonder if they've been avoiding showing Deep Down in order to launch it as a PS4K key app. This could mean Panta Rhei is still alive and that DMC5 might be using it after all.

TreIII

That's a good point. I have thought about it. They would need to create a multi-game arc rather than having the villains be a one-off deal. Once you've established villains more powerful than Mundus, there's all sorts of ways the plot can go. Maybe they have a hierarchal structure, or god forbid maybe some human tries to gain their power.

Who knows where they're planning on taking things. I doubt Itsuno, Morihashi, Kobayashi and team ever make any major plans plot-wise beyond the game they're working on. Though going by all the hints in DMC4, Mundus will probably come back for another smackdown.

That, or as I think suggested earlier, Mundus may just return in another form, like being reincarnated/serving as a host for a new character (the "Soma Cruz" effect). Either way would be able to reintroduce Mundus into the plot, but not necessarily having to do it the same way as it was done in the first game. And if it all was really just a means to showcase just how much more powerful the designated new "Big Bad" is, then so much the better.

Either way may also be a way to reintroduce Vergil/Nelo Angelo back into the mix. Where Mundus appears, Angelo may not be too far behind. And perhaps Dante will get a third chance to "save" his bro.

I see what that says, but I really doubt that Capcom would screw over their potential audiences that much, such that you won't be able to enjoy some bottomline expected features like "60fps" and the like in an upcoming DMC unless you buy Sony's new machine. And unless MS has their own hardware upgrade waiting in the wings (or the game is just PS4 family exclusive outright), that would likely screw over XB1 owners on the same token.

The worst I can see is that it'll be like comparing MT Framework crossgen PS3/PS4 releases (like Sengoku BASARA). You may get a higher resolution and enemy count, but the overall differences between the two versions otherwise are slim to nil.

Sesha

DMC5 isn't going to run at less than 60 fps. Capcom knows better than to serve another 30 fps DMC game after how DmC was received. It's probably going to be something like this:

PS4:
Capped at 60 fps
1080p

PS4K:
Locked at 60 fps
4K res

Maybe there's some features like Turbo that will only be available on PS4K, whatever equivalent X1 gets, and PC, like how Turbo was only available on the PC version of DMC4.

That, or as I think suggested earlier, Mundus may just return in another form, like being reincarnated/serving as a host for a new character (the "Soma Cruz" effect). Either way would be able to reintroduce Mundus into the plot, but not necessarily having to do it the same way as it was done in the first game. And if it all was really just a means to showcase just how much more powerful the designated new "Big Bad" is, then so much the better.

Either way may also be a way to reintroduce Vergil/Nelo Angelo back into the mix. Where Mundus appears, Angelo may not be too far behind. And perhaps Dante will get a third chance to "save" his bro.

That could be interesting, but I'm not expecting much from Bingo Morihashi's writing.

TreIII

That could be interesting, but I'm not expecting much from Bingo Morihashi's writing.

Point, but I think it says a lot when even his DMC4 novelization had some interesting details that I wished could've been better fleshed out in game (like Nero having the brief heart to heart with "Vergil" before his "I NEED MORE POWAH" moment and the like), but didn't have the time to do so because 4 was rushed.

Plus, if Bayonetta 2 has showcased anything, he can definitely take things to crazy, yet interesting lengths, if he's allowed.
And if it helps, the whole Aesir -> Loki/Loptr thing just gave me a whole bunch of Mundus vibes, right down to Aesir himself being the true "creator god" of the Bayo-verse. Now, if only that kind of character dynamic could be realized in a character who isn't as annoying as Loki was...

I hope that you guys are right, but man is this still a very shitty move on Sony's part or what.

I bought a PS4 thinking that I'm okay for the next 6-7 years and here we are only 2 and half years into the gen and we are already hearing many leaks about a new hardware that is supposed to come out soon. And on top of that there are already mentions of "performance sacrifices" on OG PS4 version of the games.

Man, I just hate this whole thing.

Top Bottom