• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Sesha

Anyway. Knowing Itsuno is paying attention to twitter is good. I've been working on a strawpoll that is essentially an extension of the #DMCFeedback macro. If we can get the OT running soon I'll be sharing it around the web and posting the results to Itsuno.

Thank you for the explanation, Sesha. That's quite an impressive system they got there, I wish we had similar applications for XBL and PSN.

Sadly, if it's that accurate then yeah, 1mil number really is a pipe dream.

You're welcome. SteamSpy is pretty amazing. It tracks a ton of other stuff as well. Hopefully developers make use of it when gauging PC as a platform. The sales data of almost every PC game post-2004 is essentially wide open and available.

honk

http://s1.zetaboards.com/InfernalWorks/topic/6040038/1/

UnlIJn0.jpg

d0OzVvS.jpg

if you're horny.

It's amazing what a bunch of amateur modders can do using a very limited tool set for a game that's hard to modify.

Akiller

Sesha, i want to ask Itsuno if he knows/has played any P* game and what he thinks about it.

Mind give me a translation? Thanks man :)

Whens DMCommunity

Golnei

Coatless Vergil looks great - though I hope future games will give him that costume by default. In any case, I'm really happy a mod community has persisted around SE - all people have to do now is start porting DOA swimsuits over, and it'll rival that of recent RE games.

I didn't know I wanted a Coatless Vergil until I saw this. Wow, this looks simply amazing. I wish Sony and Micro would allow modding on their consoles :(

Coatless Vergil looks great - though I hope future games will give him that costume by default. In any case, I'm really happy a mod community has persisted around SE - all people have to do now is start porting DOA swimsuits over, and it'll rival that of recent RE games.
I laughed way harder than I should have. Hahaha.

You're welcome. SteamSpy is pretty amazing. It tracks a ton of other stuff as well. Hopefully developers make use of it when gauging PC as a platform. The sales data of almost every PC game post-2004 is essentially wide open and available.
Yeah, I really hope Sega and Atlus take a look at some of those numbers and bring more titles to Steam. If a super niche title like Akiba's Trip can do over 60k on Steam then there is no reason for stuff like Persona and Yakuza to fail to at least do around 100k on this platform. Come on, Sega/Atlus put your games on Steam.

P.S: Had a quick look at DD's number and it's close to 300k which is really good. Also, took a look at Valkyria Chronicles and was mind blown by its huge success on the platform. More than 700k for that title is unbelievable!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
P.S: Had a quick look at DD's number and it's close to 300k which is really good. Also, took a look at Valkyria Chronicles and was mind blown by its huge success on the platform. More than 700k for that title is unbelievable!

Something else to note is that PC games have legs, so I wouldn't be disappointed with DMC4SE's performance.. They're not nearly as front loaded as console games, especially with Steam and weekend sales on a regular basis.

Something else to note is that PC games have legs, so I wouldn't be disappointed with DMC4SE's performance.. They're not nearly as front loaded as console games, especially with Steam and weekend sales on a regular basis.
That's good to hear. I hope 4SE continues to show strong sale on the platform. It would be really cool if it manages to reach higher numbers like DD's, over time.

Sesha

Capcom is planning a "full-scale offensive" for the latter half of the (fiscal) year.

capcomqju8d.jpg

Sesha, i want to ask Itsuno if he knows/has played any P* game and what he thinks about it.

Mind give me a translation? Thanks man :)

Whens DMCommunity

Sure thing.

Dahbomb

Sentence is stated to also include Sengoku Basara so it's an offensive in general.

DMC5 incoming folks. Capcom about to go ham!

Sesha

Two remasters are by not a "full-scale offensive" when two brand-new titles consitutes the "warm up".

Even then, I doubt they're counting remasters in that, only new titles since only those are mentioned. Furthermore, it's referring to the latter half of the 2017 fiscal year, which begins in September. The only remaster to launch near or after then RE4 HD-2: Upressed Boogaloo.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Keep in mind that these reports are generated as a means of satisfying investor expectations in addition to reporting raw numbers and facts. "Full scale offensive" is pretty ambiguous. All it really means is that they will be launching and announcing some games in 2016. More than 2.

If they ended up attaching a name to the initiative, then I'd find it more convincing. It's a good thing that they're talking about increasing their currently relevant catalog in the upcoming fiscal year, but it's hard to glean anything from that particular vague statement.

Sesha

We should absolutely keep our expectations in check. The wording doesn't necessarily imply a flood of big new titles.

It's interesting to note that Yukimura-den and Umbrella Corps are both spin-off titles. I wonder if them being the warm-up means the "full-scale offensive" is SB5 and RE7.

Probably they are just referring to RE5 and 4 PS4 ports, people are reading too much into that.

Yeah, that's my thinking as well.

Them saying this to investors means that they are talking about releasing games in that period and not just announcing them, right? I don't see Capcom releasing that many "currently unannounced" titles in that period. Maybe, MAYBE we get RE7, but that's it.

So, yeah. They are probably talking about those RE4/5 remasters.

Fair enough. But still these new titles have to be practically finished on the development side for Capcom to be able to announce and release them within the next 10 months, right? Then personally I don't think we can expect much from them. RE7, RE4 remaster and maybe another smaller title.

Oh, Deep Down. Yeah, I think that one would fit the description.

TreIII

We should absolutely keep our expectations in check. The wording doesn't necessarily imply a flood of big new titles.

It's interesting to note that Yukimura-den and Umbrella Corps are both spin-off titles. I wonder if them being the warm-up means the "full-scale offensive" is SB5 and RE7.

I honestly can't see SB5 coming so soon (or at the least, certainly not within this Capcom fiscal cycle). Yukimura-den, despite its status being a spin-off, is still being effectively marketed as "THE BASARA game of this year". And KobaP and others have stated that if Yukimura-den meets or exceeds expectations, it may kick off a separate "BASARA Retsuden" spin off series where these type of character-focused games may be a regular thing.

Which I wouldn't mind at all, because SB5 probably needs the extra time to be fine-tuned and not just come off as just another extension of SB3U+4S's formula. I'm willing to wait til 2018 at the earliest for that.

Meanwhile, I do think that maybe Capcom finally has some nice surprises in store. RE7 is pretty much a guarantee for E3, but I wouldn't be surprised if DMC5 and the new Mega Man finally make appearances by the end of this year.

Sesha

I honestly can't see SB5 coming so soon (or at the least, certainly not within this Capcom fiscal cycle). Yukimura-den, despite its status being a spin-off, is still being effectively marketed as "THE BASARA game of this year". And KobaP and others have stated that if Yukimura-den meets or exceeds expectations, it may kick off a separate "BASARA Retsuden" spin off series where these type of character-focused games may be a regular thing.

Which I wouldn't mind at all, because SB5 probably needs the extra time to be fine-tuned and not just come off as just another extension of SB3U+4S's formula. I'm willing to wait til 2018 at the earliest for that.

Meanwhile, I do think that maybe Capcom finally has some nice surprises in store. RE7 is pretty much a guarantee for E3, but I wouldn't be surprised if DMC5 and the new Mega Man finally make appearances by the end of this year.

Oh, I only meant we'd maybe get an announcement, not a release.

But you're probably right. RE and MH are their only franchises with multiple iterations being announced and released within each other, the closest to that being DMC. Seems like there's a substantial gap between each main SB iteration. They're probably gonna try to get more use out of the SB4 assets first.

Reading that quote again, it says second half of the fiscal year, right? So, that means from September till the end of March 2017, true? If so, then I think we should probably expect RE7 to skip E3 and focus on TGS or random Tuesday for announcement.

EDIT: Oh, it actually means October. So, no TGS? I think that'll be a bit too much even for Capcom and RE.

Sesha

I expect Dead Rising 4 at Microsoft's press conference and RE7 at Sony's. One launches late this year and the other releasing Q1 2017.

I expect DMC5 and RE2make to be their big titles for the 2018 fiscal year (April 2017-March 2018).

If the second title really is DMC5 then I'll be super shocked.

Edit: Or it could be Deep Down. That PS4K leak had Deep Down as a major title that made use of PS4K's capabilities.

Jawmuncher

I expect Dead Rising 4 at Microsoft's press conference and RE7 at Sony's. One launches late this year and the other releasing Q1 2017.

I expect DMC5 and RE2make to be their big titles for the 2018 fiscal year (April 2017-March 2018).

If the second title really is DMC5 then I'll be super shocked.

Edit: Or it could be Deep Down. That PS4K leak had Deep Down as a major title that made use of PS4K's capabilities.

Same, we know it's coming but with the leaks we have gotten. It seems like they're still a but early on. Maybe early enough to announce it, but not early enough that it releases next year. Unless they're going to do another SFV style game.

TreIII

...If the second title really is DMC5 then I'll be super shocked.

But could Deep Down, an unknown variable for a new IP, really push 2 million on one console? Plus, I thought that game was going to push some type of F2P thing, unless I'm mistaken?

I'm leaning more towards DMC5, unless the Vancouver team really has something ready to show off. There's still time to have a Dino Crisis reboot (or hell, ANY type of Dinosaur game) before the next Jurassic World sequel~

Last time they talked about DD they said they are gonna change it drastically (or something along those line) so I think the next time we see it, it'll probably look a lot more like a traditional $60 RPG title.

Sesha

Same, we know it's coming but with the leaks we have gotten. It seems like they're still a but early on. Maybe early enough to announce it, but not early enough that it releases next year. Unless they're going to do another SFV style game.

Verendus said in like December 2014 that he heard DMC5 was in development. But Itsuno's comment that DMC4SE's sales means we'll see the next DMC faster (suggesting a SF5 scenario as that originally wouldn't come out untill 2018 if not for Sony's funding), and his twitter post in January about his next project having begun development, suggest to me that DMC5 was only in pre-production and only entered full development recently. That's the only way Verendus' comments make sense to me, assuming he knew for sure that DMC5 was in development and wasn't just sharing rumors.

But could Deep Down, an unknown variable for a new IP, really push 2 million on one console? Plus, I thought that game was going to push some type of F2P thing, unless I'm mistaken?

I'm leaning more towards DMC5, unless the Vancouver team really has something ready to show off. There's still time to have a Dino Crisis reboot (or hell, ANY type of Dinosaur game) before the next Jurassic World sequel~

Could? Maybe, but 2m is just what they want/need it to sell. They could have changed their mind regarding its business model. Maybe it's a SF5-type deal now. Or maybe it's 2m downloads and not sales.

Though I think Dead Rising 4 is the most likely candidate.

Or hey, maybe it's Onimusha. There were those rumors a while ago, after all.

TreIII

Could? Maybe, but 2m is just what they want/need it to sell. They could have changed their mind regarding its business model. Maybe it's a SF5-type deal now. Or maybe it's 2m downloads and not sales.

Though I think Dead Rising 4 is the most likely candidate.

Or hey, maybe it's Onimusha. There were those rumors a while ago, after all.

Ah, Onimusha...I would love to see that again, too!

But the only fly in the ointment is that, at least according to Ono, an Onimusha reboot is only being "discussed at the high level". So, even if the trademark may have been filed some months ago, it may not be that far enough along yet to make any announcements.

Wouldn't mind be wrong, though.

Dahbomb

That 2 million seller has to be god damn DMC5.

4 million is RE7.

What else major title does Capcom even have that can break 2 million? Not even SFV is doing that much.

That 2 million seller has to be god damn DMC5.

4 million is RE7.

What else major title does Capcom even have that can break 2 million? Not even SFV is doing that much.
Going by Itsuno's tweet the game hasn't even been in development for 6 months yet. As much as I would love to see it happen, I highly doubt the 2mil one would be DMC5.

To answer your question, Dead Rising 3 has managed to reach the 2mil sales.

Dahbomb

Why are they going to make another DR game when they just had it for XB1?

Nah son, it's time for DMC5.

No one actually knows how long DMC5 actually has been in development. Rumors about its development has been in the pipeline since before the SE/DE announcement.

It's time to show your DMC badge and GO ALL IN on DMC5 at E3.

The last DR title came out back in 2013, man. Vancouver studio has been working on a new project ever since DR3 came out and had a bunch of hiring a while back. I think whatever they've been working on is much closer to being finished than other Capcom titles.

In case of DMC5, we at least know that it wasn't in development back when last E3 came around. And Judging by that tweet that Itsuno made back in January, I think it's safe to assume that the game's development started around those times.

Also, take a look at my avatar man. If we want DMC5 to have any actual chance of being announced then I have to be the one who bets against it, cause losing bets seems to be my specialty.

Sesha

Capcom Vancouver has been working on at least two projects I think. At least one of those is DR4. They've been on hiring sprees on at least a couple of occasions. An old acquaintance of mine was recently hired as a narrative designer, which was interesting.

Ah, Onimusha...I would love to see that again, too!

But the only fly in the ointment is that, at least according to Ono, an Onimusha reboot is only being "discussed at the high level". So, even if the trademark may have been filed some months ago, it may not be that far enough along yet to make any announcements.

Wouldn't mind be wrong, though.

I forgot that comment was that recent. Never mind, then. Though imagine if in 2017-18 we saw DMC5 and Onimusha 5. Ye gods.

honkin' my own horn

also if re7 isnt a 2016 release then theres no way in hell dmc5 is gonna even be teased this year

Looks good. Great job.

Man, Trish's lightning effects are so good. Her Rolling Thunder might be my favorite move in the entire game, partly because of those delicious electric streaks.

69150f8b96.png

He's such a nice guy.
Good-guy Itsuno, bless his CRURAZY heart.

DMC4SE has roughly 100k owners on Steam according to SteamSpy. It's not quite there yet, but it's only 3k off and the error margin is ± 7,460.

I'm really curious as to how it's done on consoles. If we're lucky we may find out on May 10th when the fiscal year report comes out, as they've listed for significant titles with sub-1m sales before. For example Onimusha: DoD has done roughly 600k according to an old report.

Steam numbers are in for a bit of a bump since SE is on the Capcom Humble Bundle. But yeah, wish there was a way to see console numbers as well.

YES, AT LAST!!!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Finally got the platinum for Onechanbara Z2 Chaos, so I'm with you :)

I need to get around to playing this. I have it in my backlog.

I don't think Humble Bundle sales impact the actual sales numbers, though.

It will for SteamSpy at least. All SteamSpy does is tabulate the number of owners of a particular game. It doesn't differentiate between how that Steam game was acquired, whether it was via sale or humblebundle or giveaway.

It's unclear how it effects actual reported sales data, but technically Capcom does get a cut of the humble bundle sales.

Sesha

It will for SteamSpy at least. All SteamSpy does is tabulate the number of owners of a particular game. It doesn't differentiate between how that Steam game was acquired, whether it was via sale or humblebundle or giveaway.

It's unclear how it effects actual reported sales data, but technically Capcom does get a cut of the humble bundle sales.

SteamSpy, yes, but as far as I know Humble sales doesn't affect sales numbers in Capcom's reports or on their Platinum sellers list.

I think we discussed something similar about DmC after the previous Capcom bundle.

Dahbomb

Guys isn't it CURIOUS that the highest tier in that bundle includes the two most recent games in the main line franchise?

RE6 -> RE7
DMC4SE -> DMC5

Come on now Capcom... JUST BRING IT ALREADY!

Sesha

Dahbomb, I think I stumbled upon some good material for that DMC5 announcement gif you were searching for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWiTuV-mmIw&t=235s

Finally got the platinum for Onechanbara Z2 Chaos, so I'm with you :)

When you find the deep systems lying in the game it's pretty great. I mean you cna just frame counters mid combo, the dodge system is well thought out, the characters are great.

I kid.

Top Bottom